Image ImageImage Image

DeMar DeRozan Leads the NBA in MPG

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

DeMar DeRozan Leads the NBA in MPG 

Post#1 » by HomoSapien » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:36 pm

I feel like this has completely flown under the radar. A 34-year-old veteran is leading the league in MPG. I think we all wish we had a true franchise player in DeRozan's place, but I also think we don't appreciate him enough. There is a lot of talk about how his game is old-school, but he's also old-school in the best of ways. The man is a consummate professional. At this age, he still puts in the off-season work. He doesn't sit out. He loves taking younger players under his wing. He has arguably the most artistically beautiful footwork/mid-range game in the entire league, at times has been shakey but still is tremendous in the clutch. He also loves the game wholeheartedly, which is something that's becoming increasingly more rare.

As a side note, if Thibs was playing this many minutes he would be getting eaten alive. It might be because of the board's apathy, but I haven't seen Billy get criticized for this (Coby is also 7th in MPG).
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Re: DeMar DeRozan Leads the NBA in MPG 

Post#2 » by dougthonus » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:11 pm

http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
CROBulls
Junior
And1: 157

Post#3 » by CROBulls » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:25 pm

My first image in my head was Thibs after i read this. Only now we have even less and worse talented team then we had back then. Glad we going in right direction. Never change GarPax *cough* AKME
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,447

Post#4 » by CBS7 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:44 pm

he'd be other worldly if he could hit the 3 and defend
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#5 » by The Explorer » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:46 pm

HomoSapien wrote:I feel like this has completely flown under the radar. A 34-year-old veteran is leading the league in MPG. I think we all wish we had a true franchise player in DeRozan's place, but I also think we don't appreciate him enough. There is a lot of talk about how his game is old-school, but he's also old-school in the best of ways. The man is a consummate professional. At this age, he still puts in the off-season work. He doesn't sit out. He loves taking younger players under his wing. He has arguably the most artistically beautiful footwork/mid-range game in the entire league, at times has been shakey but still is tremendous in the clutch. He also loves the game wholeheartedly, which is something that's becoming increasingly more rare.

As a side note, if Thibs was playing this many minutes he would be getting eaten alive. It might be because of the board's apathy, but I haven't seen Billy get criticized for this (Coby is also 7th in MPG).

To add to that, when players such as Lavine have conflicted with Donovan, Derozan has embraced Donovan, ensuring there is no 'revolt' like there was with Boylen/Hoiberg. That shows true leadership.

Over a 3 year stretch, I would put Derozan right at the top with Butler & Noah as the best Bull post-Jordan. (rose was too injured)
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Post#6 » by pipfan » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:02 pm

He's been great, and his D is not so bad. Not good, but not terrible.
He's fun to watch and seems like a good guy. Honestly, I am resigned to us resigning him and winning 40ish games next year. At least, as of now, we're a fun team to watch most nights
mack2354
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#7 » by mack2354 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:37 pm

I think Billy hasn't been critisized like Thibs is because of how Demar is playing all these minutes. Demar is playing big minutes in close games or games we are trying to fight from behind in the 4th quarter. Demar has also been extremely healthy.

Thibs was playing guys with lingering injuries and up by 20 points with 2 minutes left in the 4th. Different scenario's.

I believe that people don't appreciate Demar because he lacks flash. He doesn't make the fancy passes that Luka does. He isn't making highlight reel dunks. He isn't shooting 30-35ft three pointers. Demar doesn't have a game made for Sportscenter Top 10 Plays so he gets overlooked. The fact that he hasn't been able to carry us to the playoffs consistently hurts him as well. He's definitely a better player and more valuable than this board gives him credit for though.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,084

Post#8 » by MrSparkle » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:56 pm

Well, one thing that’s consistent in Chicago sports, is the obvious greats are worshipped, but the almost-great/good guys tend to be taken for granted. Flaws and shortcomings magnified. You have to remember that Kobe hit the lottery when Odom, Caron and Chucky Atkins were his team… Lebron couldn’t take a green Lonzo, Ingram and Randle into the first round… so Demar’s been kind of unfairly blamed for hogging shots and stunting some… really green, shaky prospects (and carrying a very injured squad).

Demar’s 3 years in Chicago have been nothing short of a generational FA bargain. AK’s Big score amongst the blunders.

Unfortunately the next step (extension) is more complicated.. but so far AK hasn’t given out any egregious extensions, although Zach and Vuc do demonstrate the potential drawbacks of seemingly OK deals. (Though barring setbacks, Zach should be easy to move for a cap dump) I imagine a 120/4 type of deal in the works, and that kinda scares me unless the last 2 years are partially guaranteed.

The way we looked in November and with more season injuries, it was hard holding Demar and not just going for the tank, but honestly glad to see him and the remaining bodies winning +500, instead of getting a 2nd rounder or some other pennies. (Mediocrity of the coming draft, Coby/Ayo jumps made it easier to keep him)
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,059

Post#9 » by jordanwilliams6 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:36 pm

Completely on board with resigning him to a team friendly deal. He’s proven he can fit in with our younger core, allow them to develop whilst mentoring them and relieving the pressure when needed.

Demar certainly isn’t perfect as a player but we certainly take him for granted. Trade Zach and Vuc and move forward with the additional cap space to add some bigs to to the roster.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,019

Post#10 » by Chi town » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:39 pm

He’s going to fall off a cliff next year…

And AK will resign him to a 2/60 deal and think he hit the jackpot.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,713

Post#11 » by madvillian » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:43 pm

He's a great player. Flawed and frustrating when he's your best, but still a great player. Whatever his offseason regime is, our youngsters would do well to emulate. He's still in excellent shape at 34 and is an iron man.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,355

Post#12 » by 2weekswithpay » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:12 pm

This team is all in on being "competitive" so I don't care if Billy plays Demar too much. The goal is to win as many games as possible and well this is the best way to do it.

With that said, I can't wait for AK to extend Demar only for him to decline again next season.
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,059

Post#13 » by jordanwilliams6 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:35 pm

Chi town wrote:He’s going to fall off a cliff next year…

And AK will resign him to a 2/60 deal and think he hit the jackpot.

Based on what? Demar hasn't relied on athleticism for years and clearly has elite conditioning given the heavy minutes played whilst still producing at a high level in 4th quarters. He has an old man game that relies on picking his spots and savvy play.

In all likelihood, we do have to reduce his load and bring his minutes back to 32-33 minutes per game.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#14 » by drosestruts » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:37 pm

CBS7 wrote:he'd be other worldly if he could hit the 3 and defend

He'd be Kevin Durant if he shot more 3's and defended.

I think it's a rather unfair expectation for anyone to be Kevin Durant, who gets a lot of flack for jumping teams a lot, but if one wants to get down to it, he's one of the most talented players to ever play the game.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#15 » by drosestruts » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:43 pm

DeMar has been great in his time with the Bulls. His performance this year shows he's still a well conditioned, strong performing, positive player.

You can keep guessing he'll fall of a cliff if you want, eventually you'll be right. Father time is undefeated and all that.

But it's frustrating to see so much hand-wringing over a hypotehtical fall off, when the player is still playing at a super high-level today, right now.

I think DeMar could be pushing for a 3rd team all nba this season.

Are they still doing the all-nba teams by positions? forwards above him:

Giannis
Tatum
Leonard
???

DeMar is currently 14th in the entire NBA in Win Shares.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,679

Post#16 » by Dez » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:43 pm

For me the minutes thing isn't an issue and wasn't with Thibs either, but still having your main guys in when the game was decided.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#17 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:11 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Well, one thing that’s consistent in Chicago sports, is the obvious greats are worshipped, but the almost-great/good guys tend to be taken for granted. Flaws and shortcomings magnified. You have to remember that Kobe hit the lottery when Odom, Caron and Chucky Atkins were his team… Lebron couldn’t take a green Lonzo, Ingram and Randle into the first round… so Demar’s been kind of unfairly blamed for hogging shots and stunting some… really green, shaky prospects (and carrying a very injured squad).

Demar’s 3 years in Chicago have been nothing short of a generational FA bargain. AK’s Big score amongst the blunders.

Unfortunately the next step (extension) is more complicated.. but so far AK hasn’t given out any egregious extensions, although Zach and Vuc do demonstrate the potential drawbacks of seemingly OK deals. (Though barring setbacks, Zach should be easy to move for a cap dump) I imagine a 120/4 type of deal in the works, and that kinda scares me unless the last 2 years are partially guaranteed.

The way we looked in November and with more season injuries, it was hard holding Demar and not just going for the tank, but honestly glad to see him and the remaining bodies winning +500, instead of getting a 2nd rounder or some other pennies. (Mediocrity of the coming draft, Coby/Ayo jumps made it easier to keep him)

AK should be fired for anything more than 3yrs/$75 million. We should be paying him for past production. He is clearly declining now.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#18 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:13 pm

2weekswithpay wrote:This team is all in on being "competitive" so I don't care if Billy plays Demar too much. The goal is to win as many games as possible and well this is the best way to do it.

With that said, I can't wait for AK to extend Demar only for him to decline again next season.

He is obviously going to decline. The new contract just needs to reflect. No career reward contract.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,679

Post#19 » by Dez » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:17 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Well, one thing that’s consistent in Chicago sports, is the obvious greats are worshipped, but the almost-great/good guys tend to be taken for granted. Flaws and shortcomings magnified. You have to remember that Kobe hit the lottery when Odom, Caron and Chucky Atkins were his team… Lebron couldn’t take a green Lonzo, Ingram and Randle into the first round… so Demar’s been kind of unfairly blamed for hogging shots and stunting some… really green, shaky prospects (and carrying a very injured squad).

AK should be fired for anything more than 3yrs/$75 million. We should be paying him for past production. He is clearly declining now.

How is he clearly declining?
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#20 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:15 am

Dez wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

How is he clearly declining?

Scoring and efficiency are down.

Return to Chicago Bulls