Image ImageImage Image

March Madness RealGM Bracket Challenge- make your picks!

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,991

Re: The final stretch before March Madness - who will win it all? 

Post#101 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:18 am

___Rand___ wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:]

UConn has a bunch of future NBA guys too. Clingan, Castle, Karaban. I think Newton will get a cup of coffee. They are a well rounded team without a ton of weaknesses. You're going to have to score to beat them. Can't just beat them with defense.

3 NBA players? I don't think I've heard that one before (have to check the mock drafts). Have to admit not watching Big East this year. Will be watching some replays of their best games before the tournament. Any you recommend?

I don't care about mock drafts to be honest. I'm just telling you by what I have seen from them. As far as the Big East, it wasn't that good of a league this year (basically Marquette and Creighton, rest of the league mediocre), however, UConn challenged themselves in the non-con by going to Kansas. Playing UNC on a neutral court. They are battle tested.

Also, their road to the Final Four is through Brooklyn (first/second) and Boston (regionals). If you're looking for specific games to watch of them, I would just go to YouTube and check some highlights. Rick Pitino said it best. They can play any style. Fast and slow. Clingan is the difference maker. Elite rim protector.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,805

Post#102 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:21 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:]

UConn has a bunch of future NBA guys too. Clingan, Castle, Karaban. I think Newton will get a cup of coffee. They are a well rounded team without a ton of weaknesses. You're going to have to score to beat them. Can't just beat them with defense.

3 NBA players? I don't think I've heard that one before (have to check the mock drafts). Have to admit not watching Big East this year. Will be watching some replays of their best games before the tournament. Any you recommend?

I don't care about mock drafts to be honest. I'm just telling you by what I have seen from them. As far as the Big East, it wasn't that good of a league this year (basically Marquette and Creighton, rest of the league mediocre), however, UConn challenged themselves in the non-con by going to Kansas. Playing UNC on a neutral court. They are battle tested.

Also, their road to the Final Four is through Brooklyn (first/second) and Boston (regionals). If you're looking for specific games to watch of them, I would just go to YouTube and check some highlights. Rick Pitino said it best. They can play any style. Fast and slow. Clingan is the difference maker. Elite rim protector.

Eh highlights don't give me an idea of a team. I gotta see how they play on both sides of the ball, how the coach adjusts, how they adjust, etc. I'll probably watch the ones against ranked non-conf games. I saw a few big east games and they're all a bit too soft for my liking so I've stayed away.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,316

Post#103 » by shi-woo » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:53 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:

Eh highlights don't give me an idea of a team. I gotta see how they play on both sides of the ball, how the coach adjusts, how they adjust, etc. I'll probably watch the ones against ranked non-conf games. I saw a few big east games and they're all a bit too soft for my liking so I've stayed away.

There are a lot of resources out there now breaking down what Hurley has been doing. UConn runs an NBA level offense that attacks switches, and uses constant motion to get easy looks. They have knock down shooters that make the offense hum. What makes their offense so scary is that it's built to find and maximize favorable matchups. Looking at their game stats you'll notice it's someone different every night that goes off. UConn only had the same leading scorer in back to back games 4 times this year :lol: The team that beats them are going to need to be locked in of defense. I don't see this team scoring under 60, and would favor them in slow matchups if they do.

I can't really speak on their defense as much, as to me it just seems like they are always the biggest team on the court. Clingan being a legit semi mobile shot blocker really helps on defense, and all their guards have size. They just wear you down over the course of the game and don't rely on any one guy to rebound to defend.

Hurley is a fantastic coach, and would be shocked if he didn't start getting NBA looks soon. He's still young, and he seems to be in that Brad Stevens type of build where you would trust him to run your team
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,553

Post#104 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:32 pm

Movics wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Movics wrote:Youngblood is a helluva player too. He makes great decisions on offense and an outstanding defender. He’d make a good pro if he were a bit quicker. Our center, Pryor, is a legit college level player too. We might actually go a couple rounds in the tournament this year.

Youngblood seems to be the glue of the team. Kind of like a poor mans' Shead (from Houston) if that's a decent comparison.

Honestly, not a hug fan of Pryor. He just has awful hands. Scrappy though for sure...

Miguel though...kid has been on a burner of late. I think he will take you as far as his shooting. I can see you guys going Sweet 16 or possibly farther. Fun team to watch

Yeah, Youngblood seems to be the leader in the locker room. Great player overall, I was very impressed when I saw him first. Also, we’re kind of old. Most of our roster consists of seniors, that matters when it’s march.
I also agree on Pryor. Sometimes he tries to be too flashy with his passing, but he can spread the floor. Can put it on the floor too, just gotta feed him in the right spot. Not a good finisher either. If we could get a 5th, 6th seed winning out the rest of the season… man, can’t wait for the last home game on Tuesday.

I hope Youngblood and Miguel will at least make a summer league roster. Last Bulls that made a SL roster were Victor Rudd and Boogie’s little brother years and years ago (who got into an altercation in his senior year at a bar when Boogie was visiting. Got arrested alongside another teammate whose name is skipping my mind. Crashed his Escalade on campus once :D )

I'm pulling for you guys to make the tourney today. I think the American deserves 3 teams but I doubt it will happen.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#105 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:35 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:

You think the big east is soft?
azcatz11
RealGM

Re: The final week of Conference Tourneys before March Madness - who will win it all? 

Post#106 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:17 pm

That was such a horrible injury to the Florida center. My god. I hope the dude makes a full recovery
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,484

Re: The final week of Conference Tourneys before March Madness - who will win it all? 

Post#107 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:22 pm

Should I set up a bracket challenge?
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#108 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:23 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Should I set up a bracket challenge?

I’m in - money involved?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#109 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:25 pm

azcatz11 wrote:

I’m in - money involved?

I doubt it. If you want to set that up for people who want to participate, and whoever gets the most points of those who participated with money, could take it, but I don't see too many doing that.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#110 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:25 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

I’m in - money involved?

I doubt it. If you want to set that up for people who want to participate, and whoever gets the most points of those who participated with money, could take it, but I don't see too many doing that.

All good - I’m in either way if you set it up…
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,991

Re: Anyone up for a bracket challenge? 

Post#111 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:31 pm

So Florida just lost one of their bigs, Micah Handlogten. He fractured his ankle early in the ball game against Auburn. They still have depth to make a run, but that's a pretty big loss for defensive purposes.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,466

Post#112 » by Saints14 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:36 pm

I would do it for fun. In enough money pools already
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#113 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:38 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:So Florida just lost one of their bigs, Micah Handlogten. He fractured his ankle early in the ball game against Auburn. They still have depth to make a run, but that's a pretty big loss for defensive purposes.

That was very bad. Compound fracture
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#114 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:39 pm

If anyone is interested in a large, money pool PM me and I will email you the info later today or tomorrow. The pool is usually in excess of $20,000 and the buy in is $20. I’ve done it every year the past 10 years or so
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#115 » by azcatz11 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:57 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

I’m in - money involved?

Can you sticky a march madness thread?
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 678

Post#116 » by Movics » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:21 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Movics wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Youngblood seems to be the glue of the team. Kind of like a poor mans' Shead (from Houston) if that's a decent comparison.

Honestly, not a hug fan of Pryor. He just has awful hands. Scrappy though for sure...

Miguel though...kid has been on a burner of late. I think he will take you as far as his shooting. I can see you guys going Sweet 16 or possibly farther. Fun team to watch

Yeah, Youngblood seems to be the leader in the locker room. Great player overall, I was very impressed when I saw him first. Also, we’re kind of old. Most of our roster consists of seniors, that matters when it’s march.
I also agree on Pryor. Sometimes he tries to be too flashy with his passing, but he can spread the floor. Can put it on the floor too, just gotta feed him in the right spot. Not a good finisher either. If we could get a 5th, 6th seed winning out the rest of the season… man, can’t wait for the last home game on Tuesday.

I hope Youngblood and Miguel will at least make a summer league roster. Last Bulls that made a SL roster were Victor Rudd and Boogie’s little brother years and years ago (who got into an altercation in his senior year at a bar when Boogie was visiting. Got arrested alongside another teammate whose name is skipping my mind. Crashed his Escalade on campus once :D )

I'm pulling for you guys to make the tourney today. I think the American deserves 3 teams but I doubt it will happen.

UAB beat us twice this season… yeah, we are not making it :/ it was a fun season though, I hope they can build on it and get some great players from the transfer portal. I don’t understand how they can’t make this school one of the most attractive destinations for mid major school level talents. Tampa and the campus can offer anything a college athlete could wish for… Women’s team had been constantly ranked for a decade until recently, the men’s team could be close to that
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,708

Post#117 » by scrabbarista » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:20 pm

jkvonny wrote:Hard to say right now. But, I'm going to wait til things are finalized and the brackets are set. After the conference tournaments. No major injuries, etc. To get a better gauge on match ups and potential next round match ups.

But, w/o teh brackets at the moment. I could see teams like Houston Coogs, Purdue, Arizona, Bama, Gonzaga, St Marys (CA), Iowa State, Tennessee, San Diego State, etc win it all

Even some darkhorses like South Carolina, Baylor, Creighton, Utah State, Marquette, FAU, Dayton, Illinois, Indiana State, Wazzu, etc.

It's Cougs, my man! Not Coogs!

Undefeated in all sports since I first enrolled in 1999!

Wow!
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#118 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:39 pm

shi-woo wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

There are a lot of resources out there now breaking down what Hurley has been doing. UConn runs an NBA level offense that attacks switches, and uses constant motion to get easy looks. They have knock down shooters that make the offense hum. What makes their offense so scary is that it's built to find and maximize favorable matchups. Looking at their game stats you'll notice it's someone different every night that goes off. UConn only had the same leading scorer in back to back games 4 times this year :lol: The team that beats them are going to need to be locked in of defense. I don't see this team scoring under 60, and would favor them in slow matchups if they do.

I can't really speak on their defense as much, as to me it just seems like they are always the biggest team on the court. Clingan being a legit semi mobile shot blocker really helps on defense, and all their guards have size. They just wear you down over the course of the game and don't rely on any one guy to rebound to defend.

Hurley is a fantastic coach, and would be shocked if he didn't start getting NBA looks soon. He's still young, and he seems to be in that Brad Stevens type of build where you would trust him to run your team

I hear you, and I've seen them I think twice this year. Sonogo was a big factor last year. I need to see how well their center Clingan holds up against beefier centers who'll come later in the tournament. They are a strong contender, thus likely #1 overall seed.
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#119 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:40 pm

azcatz11 wrote: You think the big east is soft?

Outside of UConn, yes. Soft on the inside. They're all doughnuts.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#120 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:49 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
I’m in - money involved?

Can you sticky a march madness thread?

I will re-sticky this one when it drops but sometimes people don't look at stickys since they are all usually the same, so I unstickied it..but if it falls far down page I will re-sticky....and maybe make knew one once brackets come out with the challenge.

Return to Chicago Bulls