Image ImageImage Image

March Madness RealGM Bracket Challenge- make your picks!

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,008

Re: The final week of Conference Tourneys before March Madness - who will win it all? 

Post#61 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:09 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
I prefer big 10 and “bad basketball” also. I also strongly prefer the college game in general tho

I'm watching Big 12, the American and SEC. ACC is way down talent wise.

You think?

Yeah. The ACC is in flux. Some coaches probably need to be fired or retired. It's a stagnant league.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,557

Re: The final week of Conference Tourneys before March Madness - who will win it all? 

Post#62 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:15 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
I'm watching Big 12, the American and SEC. ACC is way down talent wise.

You think?

Yeah. The ACC is in flux. Some coaches probably need to be fired or retired. It's a stagnant league.

I haven’t been watching much ACC. For me it’s pac 12, sec big 12 and the smaller conferences. I like watching the mid majors
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#63 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:49 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
You think?

I haven’t been watching much ACC. For me it’s pac 12, sec big 12 and the smaller conferences. I like watching the mid majors

This North Texas - FAU game is serious. On ESPNU. North Texas plays that pack line defense.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#64 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:59 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

This North Texas - FAU game is serious. On ESPNU. North Texas plays that pack line defense.

FAU is a weird team. Are they a lock to the tourney if they don’t win their conference?
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#65 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:12 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

Speaking of the FAU coach - wonder if he goes to Michigan…just saying
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#66 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:59 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

FAU is a weird team. Are they a lock to the tourney if they don’t win their conference?

Yes. Probably in the 8-9 game.
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#67 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:00 am

azcatz11 wrote:

Ohio State is the favorite. Oregon is taking it to your Cats. I just turned it on after watching the MAC semis. I can't watch Virginia play. Hoping NC State knocks them out.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#68 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:05 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

Ohio State is the favorite. Oregon is taking it to your Cats. I just turned it on after watching the MAC semis. I can't watch Virginia play. Hoping NC State knocks them out.

Yeah…we went to Trader Joe’s. I thought the game was over and we’re down by 10.

We will lose early in the tournament anyways (like every year)
___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,808

Post#69 » by ___Rand___ » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:24 am

Welp. Arizona about to lose to Oregon in the final PAC12 tourney. They are slumping heading into the tournament.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,486

Post#70 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:07 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

Man, I just checked the score, because earlier I was thinking about tuning in, checked the score and saw we were up 27-14 so I thought "I'll just watch the Suns for now and maybe tune in later" and then fell asleep for a bit.

It's pretty concerning to lose to Washington and Oregon in 2 games out of 3. I suppose the plus is that I already mentioned I didn't know if winning the conference tourney was the best thing necessarily going into the tourney because sometimes a loss is a wake up call. Now they will have a week off to think about it, rest, get prepared, etc...after playing b2b games...and many of the better teams will be playing b2b2b games Thurs-Sun of this week.

I have no idea what to expect though. I think this team can beat anyone but lose to anyone. They seemed quite a bit better early in the season.

I have never thought it mattered too much if you are a 1, 2 or 3, as long as you are top 3. The first games are always easy, but the second game is never a pushover opponent. For example...in the latest bracketology NC is a 1 seed but would play FAU in the second round.

If you are the 2 or 3, you would have had to beat each other anyway, and then you only face 1 of the 1 or 4 (or whoever makes it through). It puts off a potential meeting with the 1 seed to the elite 8 and you can maybe gain momentum and there is a chance someone else knocks them off...particularly the 4 seed. If you are the 4 seed you meet the 1 seed in the sweet 16 in the 3rd game which seems quick.

I don't think AZ will drop to a 4 seed. They will probably stick to at least a 3. Even after this loss, there will still only be 5-7 teams with better records than us and we played a pretty tough non conf schedule.

Tennessee (ranked one spot ahead of us) got beat by Mississippi St by 17, who had a losing record in the conference. Kentucky, who were 3 spots behind us, just lost to TX A&M by 10, who was 500 in the SEC. Creighton, at #8, two spots behind us, lost yesterday to Providence, who was 500 in the Big 10. Lots of upsets...Duke lost to NC State. Marquette. #10 had to go to OT to get the win against Villanova, a mid/low tier team in the Big East.

This tournament is going to be wild. It does seem like the top 3 teams (Houston, Purdue and UConn) are head and shoulders over everyone else and after that it's somewhat of a crapshoot...which should make for a good tourney, and even if two of those teams make it to the championship, it should be a great game.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#71 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:12 am

bwgood77 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

Man, I just checked the score, because earlier I was thinking about tuning in, checked the score and saw we were up 27-14 so I thought "I'll just watch the Suns for now and maybe tune in later" and then fell asleep for a bit.

It's pretty concerning to lose to Washington and Oregon in 2 games out of 3. I suppose the plus is that I already mentioned I didn't know if winning the conference tourney was the best thing necessarily going into the tourney because sometimes a loss is a wake up call. Now they will have a week off to think about it, rest, get prepared, etc...after playing b2b games...and many of the better teams will be playing b2b2b games Thurs-Sun of this week.

I have no idea what to expect though. I think this team can beat anyone but lose to anyone. They seemed quite a bit better early in the season.

I have never thought it mattered too much if you are a 1, 2 or 3, as long as you are top 3. The first games are always easy, but the second game is never a pushover opponent. For example...in the latest bracketology NC is a 1 seed but would play FAU in the second round.

If you are the 2 or 3, you would have had to beat each other anyway, and then you only face 1 of the 1 or 4 (or whoever makes it through). It puts off a potential meeting with the 1 seed to the elite 8 and you can maybe gain momentum and there is a chance someone else knocks them off...particularly the 4 seed. If you are the 4 seed you meet the 1 seed in the sweet 16 in the 3rd game which seems quick.

I don't think AZ will drop to a 4 seed. They will probably stick to at least a 3. Even after this loss, there will still only be 5-7 teams with better records than us and we played a pretty tough non conf schedule.

Tennessee (ranked one spot ahead of us) got beat by Mississippi St by 17, who had a losing record in the conference. Kentucky, who were 3 spots behind us, just lost to TX A&M by 10, who was 500 in the SEC. Creighton, at #8, two spots behind us, lost yesterday to Providence, who was 500 in the Big 10. Lots of upsets...Duke lost to NC State. Marquette. #10 had to go to OT to get the win against Villanova, a mid/low tier team in the Big East.

This tournament is going to be wild. It does seem like the top 3 teams (Houston, Purdue and UConn) are head and shoulders over everyone else and after that it's somewhat of a crapshoot...which should make for a good tourney, and even if two of those teams make it to the championship, it should be a great game.

I’d rather be a 3 seed. Less pressure for us. I also doubt we drop to a 4 seed since our net rating is currently a 4 and it prob won’t drop outside the top 10 even after this loss.

I think Boswell was benched second half. But he wasn’t the problem. Love is like a combined 5-24 the past 2 games. We’re going to need him to get hot to do anything.

IMO the top 3 of UConn, Houston and Purdue are a clear class ahead of everyone else. I would honestly be surprised if one of those teams doesn’t win it. Purdue seems beatable but Edey is so dominant I don’t think they lose early again. Feels like a Virginia situation.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#72 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:14 am

___Rand___ wrote:Welp. Arizona about to lose to Oregon in the final PAC12 tourney. They are slumping heading into the tournament.

First loss in the pac 12 tourney since 2019…
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,486

Post#73 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:22 am

azcatz11 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

I’d rather be a 3 seed. Less pressure for us. I also doubt we drop to a 4 seed since our net rating is currently a 4 and it prob won’t drop outside the top 10 even after this loss.

I think Boswell was benched second half. But he wasn’t the problem. Love is like a combined 5-24 the past 2 games. We’re going to need him to get hot to do anything.

IMO the top 3 of UConn, Houston and Purdue are a clear class ahead of everyone else. I would honestly be surprised if one of those teams doesn’t win it. Purdue seems beatable but Edey is so dominant I don’t think they lose early again. Feels like a Virginia situation.

I was thinking we would probably drop to a 3 until I just looked at all the other teams around our ranking, and most of them lost, to worse teams. I actually think there is a good chance we stick to 2. But I don't care that much either way. It's basically just a 7 seed instead of a 6 seed in the second round, then you play each other. 14 seed or 15 seed aq shouldn't be too difficult (knock on wood).

You could say the one good thing the team has going for it is they seem to play better against good teams, and rise to the occasion in big games. None of the losses to really good teams were bad...they were very close, and then obviously we beat some very good ones.

Of course that also means we sometimes play down to the opponent, but hopefully we don't have that problem in the first round. After that it will be tough teams all the way.
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#74 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:54 am

Don't trust Purdue. Edey is awesome but the backcourt remains suspect and the Big Ten has poorly developed talent relative to being a major conference.
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#75 » by ___Rand___ » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:06 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Don't trust Purdue. Edey is awesome but the backcourt remains suspect and the Big Ten has poorly developed talent relative to being a major conference.

Nobody trusts Purdue after seeing them crash out the last 2 years. A lot of the top seeds look shaky so far. Tennessee, Arizona, Duke, UK. UConn squeaked by a St. John's team that Pitino complained had no athleticism no talent.

Except Houston.
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#76 » by ___Rand___ » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:35 pm

LOL another #1 seed falls. Purdue lost to Wisconsin in Big10 semis. Top seeds don't seem to have momentum.

Except Houston.
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#77 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:07 pm

___Rand___ wrote:LOL another #1 seed falls. Purdue lost to Wisconsin in Big10 semis. Top seeds don't seem to have momentum.

Except Houston.

Purdue's guards are so meh. All those free throws and they still lost.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#78 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:21 pm

___Rand___ wrote:LOL another #1 seed falls. Purdue lost to Wisconsin in Big10 semis. Top seeds don't seem to have momentum.

Except Houston.

Ehhhh….lol
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#79 » by ___Rand___ » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:46 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:

Except Houston.

Purdue's guards are so meh. All those free throws and they still lost.

Yup. That's why I don't like them. They are just not as tough defensively nor skilled on the perimeter.
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#80 » by ___Rand___ » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:49 pm

azcatz11 wrote:

Except Houston.

Ehhhh….lol

I know. I know. Iowa state is blowing them out. Houston is without 2 of their bigs in this game. Injuries will be a factor. Without a physical presence inside, I don't care how good your perimeter players you can't win in today's NCAA.

So UConn is so far the only top seed who's not yet lost in their respective conference tournament. And likely won't against a soft Marquette in the final.

Return to Chicago Bulls