Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,124

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#542 » by NecessaryEvil » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,621
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#543 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:47 pm

Almost Retired wrote:
I hope some team set to draft below us wants to move up and give us a 2nd or even a 3rd rounder this year. I would be willing to crop back as far as #17 which is Jacksonville's pick. I think Latu would still be on the board and he's the guy I ultimately want. We can get WR help in the 2nd or even the 3rd Round. Latu opposite Sweat would give us a dynamic duo to pressure QBs. And we have to face a bunch of good QBs this season. We can't totally ignore the defense in this draft. If we're not improving on that side of the ball we're getting worse. More QB pressure = more INTs our secondary can grab.

Latu has become my favorite target for the 2nd pick in first round. I'm coming around on Bowers as well. Just elite gamers that may drop a bit due to "position" or medical concerns. Basically I'm in favor of trading back a few spots and getting whatever draft capital is available while also still grabbing a game changer.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,569

Post#544 » by dice » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:56 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

good lord no
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#545 » by dice » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:31 am

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:Why not swing for the fences now?

Not interested in continuing to build through the draft, the Bears need to produce this upcoming season and show the league that they're competing for the playoffs let alone the Super Bowl. This will pay dividends next offseason when top tier FAs are actually interested in signing here.

We need to trade up for MHJ at #5 and bolster our offense for the immediate foreseeable future!
24 FRP and Carolina's 25SRP.

Ryan Pace is that you?

it's been Poles's MO as well, unfortunately. He's had an itchy trigger finger since the Claypool trade.
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#546 » by dice » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:34 am

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

something can't be a fleecing in retrospect. it is known from the get-go. like pax dealing curry to the knicks
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,260

Post#547 » by TheJordanRule » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:01 am

dice wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:

Not interested in continuing to build through the draft, the Bears need to produce this upcoming season and show the league that they're competing for the playoffs let alone the Super Bowl. This will pay dividends next offseason when top tier FAs are actually interested in signing here.

We need to trade up for MHJ at #5 and bolster our offense for the immediate foreseeable future!

Ryan Pace is that you?

it's been Poles's MO as well, unfortunately. He's had an itchy trigger finger since the Claypool trade.

I'm hoping the depth of this draft pushes Pace in the opposite direction. I feel like trading back to grab an OT like Fashanu, Latham or Fautanu in the mid to late first would be a steal, which would also give us an extra upside pick in the 2nd round that everyone talks about. Everyone wants us to chase the upside of this year's WRs in the second round of this draft, but I'd rather go with a DE like Chop Robinson or Chris Braswell, or a C like Jackson Powers Johnson.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,341

Post#548 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:46 am

dice wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:

Ryan Pace is that you?

It’s been both. It’s also been reported that this draft isn’t that deep so it’s reasonable thats we don’t have that many picks and instead he went with guys that play and help next season because his awesome trading down resulted in a generational trade down to acquire the greatest quarter of all time.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,771

Post#549 » by Jeffster81 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 am

ThisGuyFawkes wrote:Latu has become my favorite target for the 2nd pick in first round. I'm coming around on Bowers as well. Just elite gamers that may drop a bit due to "position" or medical concerns. Basically I'm in favor of trading back a few spots and getting whatever draft capital is available while also still grabbing a game changer.

I love Latu the talent and had it not been for neck surgery and needed to medically retired for 2 years, he would be my 1B at 9 (Rome is 1a). With that said, I don't want Latu at 9. If the Bears trade down to 13 or so, I'm game. But the Bears cannot risk the 9 pick on a young man with a significant surgery on the neck already. No on Latu at 9, yes on Latu at 13 or lower.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 595

Post#550 » by Almost Retired » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:14 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:
ThisGuyFawkes wrote:Latu has become my favorite target for the 2nd pick in first round. I'm coming around on Bowers as well. Just elite gamers that may drop a bit due to "position" or medical concerns. Basically I'm in favor of trading back a few spots and getting whatever draft capital is available while also still grabbing a game changer.

I love Latu the talent and had it not been for neck surgery and needed to medically retired for 2 years, he would be my 1B at 9 (Rome is 1a). With that said, I don't want Latu at 9. If the Bears trade down to 13 or so, I'm game. But the Bears cannot risk the 9 pick on a young man with a significant surgery on the neck already. No on Latu at 9, yes on Latu at 13 or lower.

I think he might last until at least 15, but you never know. I think of all our options with the #9 pick on a trade down Latu would have the greatest immediate effect on our success. He is just elite as a pass rusher. The speed, the ability to close, the high level technique, the versatility. Land Latu and he and Sweat will combine for at least 15 sacks if not more. Teams will have to scheme to neutralize them which would give the middle of the defensive line backfield disrupting opportunities. Latu would be a force multiplier. His medical do not worry me at this point. He's had 4 years to heal and build up bone around the disk fusion he had.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,461

Post#551 » by fleet » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:35 pm

Supposedly, people are worried that the neck repair has a limited shelf life for holding up to football. Like maybe he has 4 or 5 years left before he has to stop. Anyway, while pass rush is nice. I saw Latu getting washed down the field by blockers on sone run plays to his side. That needs to be addressed.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,124

Post#552 » by NecessaryEvil » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,526

Post#553 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:33 pm

Side note... One of my biggest customers has 2 shows a year one north and one south... last night was the south one and next thursday is the north one... for next Thursday they are bringing in big screen for the draft which is a smart move.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#554 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:35 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Theoretically isn't that every team and QB's goal? Well maybe not Carolina.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 754

Post#555 » by Hold That » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:10 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yea but how many of them actually have the power to force an organization to operate this way, especially when those QBs are under contract.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,771

Post#556 » by Jeffster81 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

fleet wrote:Supposedly, people are worried that the neck repair has a limited shelf life for holding up to football. Like maybe he has 4 or 5 years left before he has to stop. Anyway, while pass rush is nice. I saw Latu getting washed down the field by blockers on sone run plays to his side. That needs to be addressed.

Leighton Vander Esch. I know different position but his career was cut short because of a neck injury. I just don't think it worth the risk of a top 10 pick to take somebody that has a neck surgery already on his resume. I rather go Jared Verse at Edge, or even Murphy at DT before I'd take Latu.
JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 374

Post#557 » by JockItch43 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:29 pm

dice wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

good lord no

He better turn out to be Trent Williams Jr if they do.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,341

Post#558 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:32 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:
fleet wrote:Supposedly, people are worried that the neck repair has a limited shelf life for holding up to football. Like maybe he has 4 or 5 years left before he has to stop. Anyway, while pass rush is nice. I saw Latu getting washed down the field by blockers on sone run plays to his side. That needs to be addressed.

Leighton Vander Esch. I know different position but his career was cut short because of a neck injury. I just don't think it worth the risk of a top 10 pick to take somebody that has a neck surgery already on his resume. I rather go Jared Verse at Edge, or even Murphy at DT before I'd take Latu.

I’m not a fan of burning a top 10 pick on a dude with medical issues / uncertainty especially when this is our last chance at blue chip stud because we’re going to be winning 14-15 games a year for the next decade.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#559 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:37 pm

Hold That wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yea but how many of them actually have the power to force an organization to operate this way, especially when those QBs are under contract.

Oh I agree Caleb has a more power than the average cat but the writing of that is still fluff.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 595

Post#560 » by Almost Retired » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:25 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:

I'd be happy with Verse also. More so than with Dallas Turner. Turner would be perfect on the outside in 3-4. That's not what Flus runs. A Verse and Sweat combination would also account for a lot of hurries and sacks. I think we could drop to 17 and still get Verse or Latu, and pick up a mid second rounder.

Return to Chicago Bulls