Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#1281 » by patryk7754 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:51 pm

it would be great if we can trade our 3rd to the seahawks for their two 4ths (102 and 118). After the trade i'd do

102: Brandon Dorlus, DT, Oregon
118: Cedrick Johnson, DE, Ole Miss
122: Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 597

Post#1282 » by Almost Retired » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:00 pm

Myles Cole is another EDGE guy I've had my eye on as a possible 3rd rounder. Very athletic. Long reach. A 4.62/40. Has good size. Just having Sweat on the other side immediately makes this kid a little better.
https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Myles-Cole-DE-LouisianaMonroe
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,908

Post#1283 » by nomorezorro » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:19 pm

i know we need d-line help badly but i really am not overly impressed with anyone who's likely to fall to 75. there are a handful of guys i'd be ok with, but you're just not historically gonna get a good pass rusher at that point in the draft any year, and this class is particularly thin.

would probably rather target an OL or maybe even a safety. wouldn't be surprised if we went with the yale tackle if he's still on the board
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
TheEndIsNigh
Junior
And1: 473

Post#1284 » by TheEndIsNigh » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:38 pm

nomorezorro wrote:i know we need d-line help badly but i really am not overly impressed with anyone who's likely to fall to 75. there are a handful of guys i'd be ok with, but you're just not historically gonna get a good pass rusher at that point in the draft any year, and this class is particularly thin.

would probably rather target an OL or maybe even a safety. wouldn't be surprised if we went with the yale tackle if he's still on the board

Agreed. Let's look for a center in the 3rd.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,953

Post#1285 » by Axl Rose » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:50 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

This dude again ...

Is this clip sped up? :-o Dude talks in fast forward :lol:
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,493

Post#1286 » by fleet » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:01 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

This dude again ...

Yes, Fields was a great victim, and CJ is well informed how this team was built the last 2 years certainly. It sucks that the Bears didn’t figure that out, and get “The haul”. And more than a 6th rounder for such a victim of circumstances. Pittsburgh should have picked up Fields’ option too. All Fields needs is “more help”
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,552

Post#1287 » by PaKii94 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 pm

fleet wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

This dude again ...

Yes, Fields was a great victim, and CJ is well informed how this team was built the last 2 years certainly. It sucks that the Bears didn’t figure that out, and get “The haul”. And more than a 6th rounder for such a victim of circumstances. Pittsburgh should have picked up Fields’ option too. All Fields needs is “more help”

Pretty much this. Fields frankly didn't deserve being built around. He wasn't a good enough QB to build a team around his legs
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,131

Post#1288 » by NecessaryEvil » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MissileMike
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,014

Post#1289 » by MissileMike » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:10 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
fleet wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

This dude again ...

Pretty much this. Fields frankly didn't deserve being built around. He wasn't a good enough QB to build a team around his legs

CJ had less to work with last season than Fields. And yet, as a rookie, convincingly outperformed the 3rd year qb. So CJ himself disproves his own point.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,622

Post#1290 » by Betta Bulleavit » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:29 pm

fleet wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

This dude again ...

They did a crap job of putting a good team around Fields and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people acknowledging that. Does it mean that we shouldn’t have traded him? No. But the facts are what they are. Just let it go already.
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#1291 » by HearshotKDS » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:35 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Dresden wrote:About Penix going to ATL, I don't think it was a dumb move at all. They likely just fell in love with his potential, and even though they just signed Cousins, probably thought to themselves that this could be the last good chance they have to land a top QB prospect. I think Penix was very under-rated, plus his age and injuries- but talent wise, he could be as good as anyone in this draft. People might be looking back at this years from now and saying 'wow, ATL made a smart move".

It's also possible they heard that other teams would take him fairly early, so there was no good opportunity to trade back and still get him. Anyway, these are the scenarios I can think of that make sense of this.

In any case, it sure worked out well for CHI! We got our guy in Odunze (although I will be closely following Bower's career as well wondering if we took the right guy- but most likely we did.)

I thought the Penix move was terrible.

If you’re in love with his potential, don’t spend $40M on a QB that’ll keep him shelved until he’s 27 years old. And if you’re not sold on Penix’s ability to become a starter on his rookie contract, don’t use the 8th pick on him.

Using that cap *and* the pick on QB is just a horrible allocation of resources. It smacks of ownership wanting one thing (Kirk) and the GM wanting another.

There's just no coherent strategic synergy behind both moves. You sign Cousins to that deal because you want to max out a 3-4 year window of competitive play. You draft a relatively NFL ready 24 year old rookie at #8 to be the franchise QB in the next 1-2 years. Kirk isnt the type of QB you bring in to be a 1-2 year bridge, Penix doesnt seem like a great fit for a stash and develop QB although you have to acknowledge teams aren't exactly spoiled for choice with what high end QB prospects are available to them.

This offseason does not bring ATL significantly closer to contention:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/atl/atlanta-falcons

And the biggest piece of draft capital they are likely to have in Kirk Cousins tenure is not able to help a Cousins led team compete. ATL probably locking themselves in to a situation with Penix where they have to decide on a 5th year option or extension on a player who has been Cousins back up for 3 years in '27. Feels an awful lot like a "dont want to pick a direction so ill put 1 foot on both sides of the fence" move that Bulls fans should be all too familiar with.
chitowndish
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#1292 » by chitowndish » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:49 pm

I liked this video because he gets into some specific things that Odunze does well. The size and ability to catch contested throws so well is going to be nice for a young QB to have a release valve like that or an easy target. Pretty cool to hear that they have already been doing the install process with Caleb and then that they were all working out together already with the existing receivers and then Caleb and Odunze traveling together is great. You learn a lot about someone traveling with them so I liked hearing that.

I also like both of their attitudes they both seem like they will be solid pros, they both seem to work hard since they are already practicing together and at least Caleb is already learning plays before he's drafted just shows they are both engaged. I liked that Caleb had the navy suit I thought that was a nice touch and I liked the Chicago t shirt under it and then his comment about 20 years was good to hear. Really excited for this team everything broke perfectly for the Bears and I thought Poles handled it well letting things happen, not reaching and then he mentioned it was tough for him not to trade back into the 1st round so he probably showed good restraint but I wanted him to do it.

Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach

Post#1293 » by Betta Bulleavit » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:55 pm

MissileMike wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
fleet wrote:Yes, Fields was a great victim, and CJ is well informed how this team was built the last 2 years certainly. It sucks that the Bears didn’t figure that out, and get “The haul”. And more than a 6th rounder for such a victim of circumstances. Pittsburgh should have picked up Fields’ option too. All Fields needs is “more help”

CJ had less to work with last season than Fields. And yet, as a rookie, convincingly outperformed the 3rd year qb. So CJ himself disproves his own point.

No, he proved that he’s a better QB than Fields and many others. How many rookie QBs can you think of that turned a team the way that CJ did?
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,940

Post#1294 » by Dresden » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:09 pm

fleet wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

This dude again ...

I guess it's one Ohio St. QB sticking up for another, but if Fields was such a victim here, let's see if he can blossom now that he's in a different situation. My guess is that he'll never be a starting QB long term.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,590

Post#1295 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:13 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
MissileMike wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

No, he proved that he’s a better QB than Fields and many others. How many rookie QBs can you think of that turned a team the way that CJ did?

Just being loyal to his alma mater.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,493

Post#1296 » by fleet » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:15 pm

Matt Miller compares Odunze toJamar Chase
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach

Post#1297 » by Betta Bulleavit » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:
MissileMike wrote:

Just being loyal to his alma mater.

Likely a bit of that too. Either way, he’s not the only person that feels that way. We all wanted Fields to be good enough to elevate a roster that was average in year 1, horrid in year 2 and rebuilding in year 3. He just wasn’t good enough to do that. And at no point did he have the roster that Williams is walking into next year. Those are just basic facts.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,131

Post#1298 » by NecessaryEvil » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Man, these two seem like such great pillars to build around. I got a feeling they’re gonna be amazing together.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,903

Post#1299 » by TheStig » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:36 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
fleet wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

This dude again ...

Can we stop pretending Fields never had anything? He had Moore and Kmet. Both were top 10 at their position. Fields couldn't do much with them. The Raiders hired his former OC and have no QB and you never even heard a peep of a rumor he could go there.

You know who was set up for failure? Mac Jones. No weapons, not even an OC and he flashed some talent in his rookie year. That's the guy who is the real victim.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,526

Post#1300 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:37 pm

fleet wrote:Matt Miller compares Odunze toJamar Chase

Did he say why? Cuz I don’t see that one at all.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax

Return to Chicago Bulls