Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#681 » by chitownsports4ever » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:57 am

jnrjr79 wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:BOOM!!

Read on Twitter

We knew all along they couldn't afford to build their own stadium

It’s going to be interesting to see how Friends of the Parks responds to this. I know the Bears had a sit-down with them and I presume the “we’re actually gonna add new park space” is meant as a concession to try to fend off litigation.

They can try but they really cant litigate the east side of Lake Shore Drive and they know this . Thats how they were able to beat Lucas when he proposed building on the west side but in this situation they dont have much of a argument to be mad. That area is where the a new stadium was proposed to go for decades and its nothing but parking lots.
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,624
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#682 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:14 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:

It’s going to be interesting to see how Friends of the Parks responds to this. I know the Bears had a sit-down with them and I presume the “we’re actually gonna add new park space” is meant as a concession to try to fend off litigation.

They can try but they really cant litigate the east side of Lake Shore Drive and they know this . Thats how they were able to beat Lucas when he proposed building on the west side but in this situation they dont have much of a argument to be mad. That area is where the a new stadium was proposed to go for decades and its nothing but parking lots.

So what happens with Soldier? It has historical significance but the new stadium will take all of the events. Does Soldier get torn down at this point?
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#683 » by nomorezorro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:34 am

soldier field lost landmark status when they did the 2002 renovation, so yeah it's clear to be torn down. i believe the plan is to knock it down and keep the colonnades

the friends of the park are presumably going to try to fight it, because that's their thing, but the city seems confident that a net addition of green space will satisfy any issues with the lakefront protection ordinance. the lucas museum thing wasn't actually decided in court; lucas just abandoned the chicago site because he didn't want to keep dealing with the legal stuff. the obama center withstood legal challenges despite being in a park covered by the LPO, and in that case the judge explicitly said "if soldier field qualifies as a public benefit then so does the library," so there is some precedent favoring the city.
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 745

Post#684 » by Charlesareed » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:38 am

nomorezorro wrote:soldier field lost landmark status when they did the 2002 renovation, so yeah it's clear to be torn down. i believe the plan is to knock it down and keep the colonnades

the friends of the park are presumably going to try to fight it, because that's their thing, but the city seems confident that a net addition of green space will satisfy any issues with the lakefront protection ordinance. the lucas museum thing wasn't actually decided in court; lucas just abandoned the chicago site because he didn't want to keep dealing with the legal stuff. the obama center withstood legal challenges despite being in a park covered by the LPO, and in that case the judge explicitly said "if soldier field qualifies as a public benefit then so does the library," so there is some precedent favoring the city.

I can’t wait til that Obama center is finished it’s brutal driving down stony island have to due all kinds routes to get by it’s blocked all way from 55 to 67 and stony island one man roads it’s horrible
Chicago Raised me
Mindcrime
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#685 » by Mindcrime » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:23 am

If we trade down and get a 2nd I really, really like Ricky Pearsall as a target. He would be ideal as a slot receiver and motion guy - ran a 4.41 Would be 24 when the season begins, but is a great athlete.

Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 596

Post#686 » by Almost Retired » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:59 am

ThisGuyFawkes wrote:I'm down for Murphy. Flus likes to rotate his D-Line so Dexter and Murphy could split snaps and stay fresh all game. Lots of pressure up the middle of the defense.

I could live with Murphy, but not at #9. A trade down to pick up AT LEAST a 3rd rounder. I would still rather take Odunze or Latu/Verse on a trade down.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 596

Post#687 » by Almost Retired » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:06 pm

[quote="Mindcrime"]If we trade down and get a 2nd I really, really like Ricky Pearsall as a target. He would be ideal as a slot receiver and motion guy - ran a 4.41 Would be 24 when the season begins, but is a great athlete.

I've been on the Pearsall bandwagon for a while. He had a great combine. He has velcro hands. He's an explosive athlete. I like Odunze, but for a greater impact this season I'd rather have a trade down that nets us a 2nd Rounder and ends up with Verse or Latu PLUS Pearsall or Xavier Leggette in the 2nd round.

In the clip you posted Pearsall made one of the greatest one handed catches I've ever seen. With his hands and speed he could be a kick returner for us as well.
El Ridda
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#688 » by El Ridda » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:44 pm

I LOVE Latu- he’s my guy. But that neck injury is kind of terrifying. Gives me Tommie Harris vibes- where he’d be great for a few years but then body breaks down.
Cup of Cognac, Hidden Dime Sack.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,468

Post#689 » by fleet » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:58 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:

Who are these people? Must be the only people in America that can’t be bribed.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,442

Post#690 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:17 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:

They can try but they really cant litigate the east side of Lake Shore Drive and they know this . Thats how they were able to beat Lucas when he proposed building on the west side but in this situation they dont have much of an argument to be mad. That area is where the a new stadium was proposed to go for decades and its nothing but parking lots.

The Bears have not been more specific as to location than "lakefront" or "museum campus" yet, right? I imagine we'll find out more today.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,032

Post#691 » by Chi town » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:31 pm

Almost Retired wrote:
Mindcrime wrote:If we trade down and get a 2nd I really, really like Ricky Pearsall as a target. He would be ideal as a slot receiver and motion guy - ran a 4.41 Would be 24 when the season begins, but is a great athlete.

I've been on the Pearsall bandwagon for a while. He had a great combine. He has velcro hands. He's an explosive athlete. I like Odunze, but for a greater impact this season I'd rather have a trade down that nets us a 2nd Rounder and ends up with Verse or Latu PLUS Pearsall or Xavier Leggette in the 2nd round.

In the clip you posted Pearsall made one of the greatest one handed catches I've ever seen. With his hands and speed he could be a kick returner for us as well.

I’m all for trading back and getting Pearsall or McConkey as our WR. Allen does play the slot FYI. He can move around though.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,131

Post#692 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:56 pm

Read on Twitter
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,774

Post#693 » by Jeffster81 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:17 pm

I think I am on the "stay put" bandwagon for the draft. Take Caleb Williams at 1, BPA at 9 and boom and bust in the third and fourth.
1985Bear
Junior
And1: 225

Post#694 » by 1985Bear » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:24 pm

I wouldn’t read much into top 30 visits. Bears can see all the ND, Iowa, Illinois Wisconsin players without counting towards top 30.

2nd, I asked Matt Lloyd years ago when he was with Bulls, why do you bring in all these guys to interview when you know you aren’t going to draft them?

“It’s the only time a team is allowed to meet with them. When you like a guy in draft, he may become available down the line, so this is your chance to see what kind of person they are. After drafted, you aren’t allowed to contact”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1985Bear
Junior
And1: 225

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#695 » by 1985Bear » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:35 pm

Curious what people think a trade back from 9 looks like? Yes we all would love a mini trade back to grab a 2nd and still get our guy.

I am starting to think, we won’t have a dance partner and I could see Bears having to stay at 9 and drafting Murphy.

Who would be on the board at 9 that another team is willing to give up a second round pick this year to the Bears.

If JJ McArthy is there at 9, could see a trade back and a team coming up. Unlikely

Penix at 9, and s a team really moving up for him? Raiders, Saints , Broncos: Long shot.

Then if Rome or Nabors are there at 9, would a team trade up or just wait for a guy to fall? Would you want Bears to move off 9 and not take Rome? This is where I hit a wall: I would just draft one of them here but those are the guys you could trade back if there at 9.

Besides QB or WR, what other scenario will Bears be able to move back and how realistic?

Sent from my iPhone using typewriter
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,131

Post#697 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:00 pm

Almost Retired wrote:https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/final_chicago_bears_mock_draft/s1_17198_40263945

Im good with this

Latu w/ the move down and we can land another really good prospect at 46th overall. Preferably a WR
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,774

Post#698 » by Jeffster81 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:10 pm

Almost Retired wrote:https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/final_chicago_bears_mock_draft/s1_17198_40263945

I rather have Murphy at 9 than Latu at 15. Now it depends on what the Bears can get to move down to 15. But right now, it's Odonze or Murphy at 9.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#699 » by chitownsports4ever » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

They can try but they really cant litigate the east side of Lake Shore Drive and they know this . Thats how they were able to beat Lucas when he proposed building on the west side but in this situation they dont have much of an argument to be mad. That area is where the a new stadium was proposed to go for decades and its nothing but parking lots.

The Bears have not been more specific as to location than "lakefront" or "museum campus" yet, right? I imagine we'll find out more today.

Yeah but as Ive said the idea to build a new stadium south of Soldier Field has been floated and pushed for well over 30 years now . The plan was to build a domed stadium where McCormick place east now sits and the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority was pushing for it but neither the Gov at the time Edgar ,the current Mayor Daley ,or current Michael McCaskey really wanted and thats how we ended up at the ridiculous solider field renovation.

The MPEA can generate more funds easier than simply the Illinois stadium authority who would be the ones controlling the stadium if they take public funds . So its a matter of who they would partner with and selling the stadium as a the next evolution of Chicagos convention and tourism scene is a feasible way to go to sell the entire thing to the public properly.
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,353

Post#700 » by Kurt Heimlich » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:12 pm

1985Bear wrote:I wouldn’t read much into top 30 visits. Bears can see all the ND, Iowa, Illinois Wisconsin players without counting towards top 30.

2nd, I asked Matt Lloyd years ago when he was with Bulls, why do you bring in all these guys to interview when you know you aren’t going to draft them?

“It’s the only time a team is allowed to meet with them. When you like a guy in draft, he may become available down the line, so this is your chance to see what kind of person they are. After drafted, you aren’t allowed to contact”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bears first 3 picks last year (Wright, dexter, Stevenson) were all top 30 visits. It's not the end all be all, but there is reason to believe it's the most actual insight we have into where their interests lay, especially towards the top.

Return to Chicago Bulls