Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,186

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#481 » by _txchilibowl_ » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:41 am

If you're going to trade up it should be for Nabers. He's the only non-QB game breaker in this draft.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,765

Post#482 » by Jeffster81 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:19 am

_txchilibowl_ wrote:If you're going to trade up it should be for Nabers. He's the only non-QB game breaker in this draft.

Rather have Harrison.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,118

Post#483 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:23 am

Jeffster81 wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:If you're going to trade up it should be for Nabers. He's the only non-QB game breaker in this draft.

Rather have Harrison.

I’ll be happy with either, I prefer both over Rome

I also am all aboard if Poles decides to go all in for MHjr

I highly highly doubt it happens though
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 735

Post#484 » by Charlesareed » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:07 am

I keep hearing on twitter & ESPN & FS1 talk shows bears are gonna trade up to get both Caleb & MHJ
Chicago Raised me
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 735

Post#485 » by Charlesareed » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:14 am

Jimako10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Looking like another soft schedule year.

Yup and that’s a good start for the bears I can’t wait also the falcons got a easy schedule aswell can’t wait to see how things play out
Chicago Raised me
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant

Post#486 » by Jeffster81 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:53 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:

Rather have Harrison.

I’ll be happy with either, I prefer both over Rome

I also am all aboard if Poles decides to go all in for MHjr

I highly highly doubt it happens though

I prefer Rome over Nabors. Not that I would say no to Nabors but to me Harrison/Rome/Nabors in that order and would aboslutely love the Bears to walk out of the draft with any one of them.

And yes, I do hope the Bears trade up to get Harrison.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,447

Post#487 » by fleet » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:22 pm

There’s too many people who evaluate the draft saying that Odunze or Nabors are just as good or better than MHJ that makes trading up for MHJ appear not worth doing. Rather have Odunze and the draft picks you are giving up for MHJ. Or trading down for the extra picks and a receiver drafted later due to the depth in this class. This trading up for MHJ idea made more sense a month or two ago when there was a clear hierarchy in receiver evaluations.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#488 » by fleet » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,563

Post#489 » by Dominator83 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:08 pm

Dresden wrote:
fleet wrote:
Jimako10 wrote:
Well if not for that Sweat trade, Poles could've been in that position with the bears pick as well. Let's hope Sweat is > 2nd, plus haul from 4 or 5 spot (if it happens).

I could have done without it for sure. Mega contract for a 28 year old, however good. From what I understand, the second round is loaded. And Danielle Hunter was available to be signed. Haul would be nice. Did Sweat trade help? It helped Eberflus FWIW. Honestly it was a positive on the field, but overrated too. The Bears still had the worst pass rush in the NFL last season overall. I don’t think Sweat by himself made it good enough. The biggest factor imo, secondary came together in a major way, Dexter started to get it, and no way should Sweat be getting all the credit for everything.

Having the worst pass rush overall hasn't much to do with adding Sweat halfway through the season. Look at the difference between pre-Sweat and post-Sweat in order to measure what effect he had on the pass rush. And how much of the secondary coming together was the result of the pass rush improving- the two go hand in hand. Sure, Danielle Hunter was available- if we had signed him at what he signed for, everyone would have said it was a vast overpay. And what's to say he would have signed here?

This second guessing just kills me. We imagine every possible positive outcome for the alternatives if we hadn't signed him, and don't consider the negative outcomes at all- such as we don't sign Hunter, we don't have even one good EDGE and are then forced to use a high pick this draft on an EDGE in a class that's weak at that position. Maybe the team loses several more games last year and looks so bad we do fire Eberflus, which we might later realize is a mistake. Maybe we look so bad Caleb DOES decide to force his way to another team. More ridicule heaped on the Bears.

But instead, it's just all paved with gold if we had done things differently.

To add, when people harp on trade down what ifs.... They assume that Poles would HIT on all these hypothetical picks. Historically, thats 50/50 at best.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,714

Post#490 » by madvillian » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:14 pm

fleet wrote:There’s too many people who evaluate the draft saying that Odunze or Nabors are just as good or better than MHJ that makes trading up for MHJ appear not worth doing. Rather have Odunze and the draft picks you are giving up for MHJ. Or trading down for the extra picks and a receiver drafted later due to the depth in this class. This trading up for MHJ idea made more sense a month or two ago when there was a clear hierarchy in receiver evaluations.

I think it's prospect fatigue on MHJ. I don't think anything has changed in the way the NFL sees these guys. Fans and evaluators sure. At the end of the day I think MHJR is the first non QB taken and I think that it will take until 10 or so to get the next WR off the board.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,186

Post#491 » by _txchilibowl_ » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:22 pm

madvillian wrote:
fleet wrote:There’s too many people who evaluate the draft saying that Odunze or Nabors are just as good or better than MHJ that makes trading up for MHJ appear not worth doing. Rather have Odunze and the draft picks you are giving up for MHJ. Or trading down for the extra picks and a receiver drafted later due to the depth in this class. This trading up for MHJ idea made more sense a month or two ago when there was a clear hierarchy in receiver evaluations.

I think it's prospect fatigue on MHJ. I don't think anything has changed in the way the NFL sees these guys. Fans and evaluators sure. At the end of the day I think MHJR is the first non QB taken and I think that it will take until 10 or so to get the next WR off the board.

You think Nabers last until 10?

I'm still living in a world where I think he goes ahead of MHJ...
1985Bear
Junior
And1: 222

Post#492 » by 1985Bear » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:35 pm

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
madvillian wrote:

You think Nabers last until 10?

I'm still living in a world where I think he goes ahead of MHJ...

MHJ should be first WR taken. I believe the teams ahead of the Bears will still build through the trenches. Assuming QB 1 2 3, I expect Minny, Denver Raiders to try and get to 4 or 5 for QB.

4. AZ is likely MHJ if they dont want to trade back anymore since they have 6 picks in top 100.
5. chargers trade out. QB drafted here. (Took WR Quentin J last year in 1st)
6. Giants are the wild card for Nabors. I can’t see a team with the worst O Line in MFL last year fixing that issue with a WR.
7. Titans going O Line
8. Falcons going D
9. Rome and Nabors could be available.

I think above is a very real possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
madvillian
RealGM

Post#493 » by madvillian » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:40 pm

Yea if Nabors gets past the Giants, could fall into Chicago's lap and they'd have pick of him or Rome. I still think there is a chance Giants draft JJ and stash him for a year.

After last year I realized nobody knows a god damn thing until the draft starts and dominos start to fall. Chicago will be in a good spot regardless of what happens because this is a strong, deep draft. They don't have a ton of capital after the first round, but then again, if you get two superstars at two critical positions, mission accomplished. It's much better having #9 this year than last year as far as no doubt prospects available.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,118

Post#494 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:57 pm

Read on Twitter
JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 371

Post#495 » by JockItch43 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:13 pm

madvillian wrote:

Rick Spielman, former Vikings GM, on a recent podcast a day or two ago said he knows for a fact multiple teams have Nabers graded above MHJ. He wouldn't specify what teams provided this info to him, but this is more than just prospect fatigue from fans.

With that said, I'm sure the majority of NFL teams have MHJ graded as WR1. It all depends what attributes these teams value most... but it goes to show you these two guys are a lot closer than many believe.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,521

Post#496 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:27 pm

madvillian wrote:

Prospect fatigue paired with MHJ’s refusal to participate in any phase of the pre-draft process, I’d say.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#497 » by fleet » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:34 pm

madvillian wrote:

Could be. But those evaluators were the same ones that elevated him in the last year or so as this “generational” guy. Many are football people. We still don’t know what war rooms believed or believe. I think the combine cooled the hype machine down on him. His physical tape measurable’s while above average, weren’t at the level of actual generational predecessors. And he hasn’t worked out. Interesting that at the same time, Nabors’ stock didn’t cool, and he did less than MHJ, (but has done more since)
madvillian
RealGM

Post#498 » by madvillian » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:26 am

fleet wrote:
madvillian wrote:

Could be. But those evaluators were the same ones that elevated him in the last year or so as this “generational” guy. Many are football people. We still don’t know what war rooms believed or believe. I think the combine cooled the hype machine down on him. His physical tape measurable’s while above average, weren’t at the level of actual generational predecessors. And he hasn’t worked out. Interesting that at the same time, Nabors’ stock didn’t cool, and he did less than MHJ, (but has done more since)

It's wild to me that if he had run and put up like a 4.44 (so mildly disappointing) anybody would move him one single spot up or down given his full resume. The dude was stupidly productive, even without Stroud throwing him the rock, and he made arguably the best CB prospect in CFB any class, Will Johnson, look silly a couple times. Will got his INT, but Marvin got his catches.

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#499 » by fleet » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:42 am

madvillian wrote:
fleet wrote:
madvillian wrote:

It's wild to me that if he had run and put up like a 4.44 (so mildly disappointing) anybody would move him one single spot up or down given his full resume. The dude was stupidly productive, even without Stroud throwing him the rock, and he made arguably the best CB prospect in CFB any class, Will Johnson, look silly a couple times. Will got his INT, but Marvin got his catches.

He had all the early hype, and other guys were completely overshadowed. If he had measured out like Larry Fitzgerald and Randy Moss, or had generational stats, we might not be having this conversation. But he didn’t, he was more or less the same as Odunze and Nabors. And so what has happened is that while the evaluation community has gotten to know the other 2 receivers, they had more to offer than was previously understood. MHJ isn’t standing out as much anymore. Odunze and Nabors are very plausible alternatives now. With that, it seems like trading up for MHJ instead of simply drafting Nabors or Odunze at #9 makes the juice perhaps not worth the squeeze.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant

Post#500 » by Jeffster81 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:10 am

In his mock draft, Peter Schraeger had Nabors fall to the Bears. Cool. You think Nabors should be a Bear, in this scenario. Wrong. Schraeger had the Bears pass on Nabors by trading down with the Colts and only receiving a FUTURE second rd pick as compensation for the pick swap. With that pick Bears take JC Latham. :noway:

If that scenario happens for real, I am not going to be happy.

Return to Chicago Bulls