Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,602

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#661 » by Jimako10 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:08 pm

Dresden wrote:The meager return the Jets got for Wilson is about in line with what the Bears got for Fields. Goes to show teams just aren't willing to let go of valuable draft picks for unproven QB's.

Pretty funny that Dallas gave up a 4th on the QB who played the least by far, while everyone else in that QB class returned a 6th.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,468

Post#662 » by fleet » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:11 pm

You people who are willing to trade next years FRP for MHJ are insane. Poles ain’t doing that
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#663 » by Dresden » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:17 pm

fleet wrote:You people who are willing to trade next years FRP for MHJ are insane. Poles ain’t doing that

Although, if we do win 10-11 games next year, that FRP will be maybe around pick 20. To get MHJ? Might be worth it.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#664 » by Dresden » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:19 pm

Jimako10 wrote:
Dresden wrote:The meager return the Jets got for Wilson is about in line with what the Bears got for Fields. Goes to show teams just aren't willing to let go of valuable draft picks for unproven QB's.

Pretty funny that Dallas gave up a 4th on the QB who played the least by far, while everyone else in that QB class returned a 6th.

I think that's because Lance never really got a lot of playing time- he played 2-3 games, then got hurt. So there's a lot of perceived upside. Whereas with Justin and Wilson, you've seen what they can do- it's much less likely you'll see a big improvement in either of them.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#665 » by Dresden » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:21 pm

Of the 3 though, Justin Fields showed he can at least win some games, and he flashed brilliance. Of the 3, Zach Wilson seems by far the worst. Fields has the highest floor, Trey the highest ceiling. Still puzzling why we couldn't get at least a 3rd or 4th for him.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,954
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#666 » by MalagaBulls » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:54 pm

BOOM!!

Read on Twitter
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,718

Post#667 » by madvillian » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:02 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:BOOM!!

Read on Twitter

Awesome news for Chicago and the Bears. It will be a dome too apparently, which kinda stinks but sounds like was a key condition of them staying in the city.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,614

Post#668 » by Dominator83 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:04 pm

Read on Twitter

We knew all along they couldn't afford to build their own stadium
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 377

Post#669 » by JockItch43 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:12 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Can someone fill me in on what exactly this means for the Bears?

Basically nothing unless they forfeit #8.

If they forfeit #8, we'll pick one spot higher.

Serves them right for not trading us the 8th overall for Fields like Kiper originally suggested!
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,602

Post#670 » by Jimako10 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:18 pm

Since I'm a Fantasy Football junkie, I'm going to post projections on what the potential offensive distribution looks like with and without that premier WR/TE draft pick. Assumptions being made are based on Shane Waldron's offense from the last 2 years, which basically was a slow pace, 60 pass/40 run offense. Also interesting to note, their WR target% went from 60% to 66% when they drafted JSN, which could be a similar situation if the Bears do decide to draft a WR. If they do decide to go with Bowers, might look similar to the Seahawks 2 years ago when they had a 24%target distribution to the TE position (60% to WR). All in all, I'm projecting about 34-35 pass attempts a game for Caleb based on the Waldron offense of the last 2 years.

Without a rookie WR/Bowers

Allen: 10 targets
Moore: 8 targets
Kmet: 5.5 targets
Everett: 2.5 targets
RBs: 5.5 targets
WR3: 2 targets
WR4: 1 target

With a rookie WR

Allen: 9 targets
Moore: 7 targets
WR3: 5.5 targets
Kmet: 5 targets
Everett: 2 targets
RBs: 5 targets

With Bowers

Allen: 9 targets
Moore: 7 targets
Kmet: 5 targets
Bowers: 5 targets
Everett: 1.5 targets
RBs: 5 targets
WR3: 1 target

I'm unsure about the last scenario since Bowers is this potential hybrid WR/TE and not exactly sure how he's going to be used, but all in all, I like the 2nd scenario just for the fact the offense will still look good even if there's an injury to the oldest (and most targeted) player. Also the best option long term as Caleb will always have at least 1 solid WR for the majority of his career. I can see the offense stalling if there's an injury in the 1st scenario, unless Jalin Hyatt turns out to be useful. The 3rd scenario is the biggest wild card since Bowers could also be this long term weapon for Caleb, but I think that's more of a risky proposition, not to mention it makes the Everett signing less impactful for the next 2 years.
JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 377

Post#671 » by JockItch43 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:28 pm

Dresden wrote:
JockItch43 wrote:
dice wrote:he should if he's even a 1st round talent!

similar cap hit both years. he'd have to be traded for peanuts

which obviously would be rare given the swift signing

this is just an example of people bending over backwards to come up with scenarios where taking bowers wouldn't be wasting/diluting resources to some degree

you JUST said he could easily top 1000 yards. so show your work!

the reality is that bowers can't be featured to the degree necessary to justify his selection at 9 w/o both a highly optimistic projection of offensive output AND diluting the roles/value of others

yes, folks, there is such a concept as too much of a good thing when your resources are limited. if caleb is the real deal, bears fans should not at this point and moving forward be settling for seasons like 2018

no! which is why i think poles's strategy sucks. he's made splashy offensive offseason signings which will create excitement but be less than optimal for winning

not if it's odunze at WR3 and the plan is to let allen walk at season's end. but it was always my preference to sign a younger WR who could fulfill either the #2 or #3 role depending on whether odunze was available. that's clearly not keenan allen. so we're left with a less than ideal situation at #9 regardless...at least in the short term

as i said, bowers should be expected to be the #2 guy at #9. the bears should be thinking bigger

and the chiefs are a kinda unicorn situation, no?

Bowers could easily develop into the number two or even the number one guy, that's the whole point of taking him! And I don't know what you're talking about regarding "show your work!". You clearly missed my point entirely. He could rack up over 1000 yards next year, that shouldn't surprise anyone. Someone could get hurt, he could just be featured more due to ability... the point was, like you alluded to in a pervious post, there's only so much of the ball to go around. Bowers racking up that much yardage likely means one of these other guys role is reduced a bit. He could also put up 700 yards next year like Kmet did last year and I'd still consider that a success. And while there's only so much of the ball to go around, there's also only so much these defenses will be able to cover with all these options. Now that we will have a QB who can actually take advantage and has the ability to spread the ball around, that's the immediate short term benefit of a move like this for another receiving weapon. That... and it mitigates quality depth issues should a guy like Allen, Moore, Kmet, etc go down for a bit.

All of this can be said for a guy like Odunze, Nabers, or MHJ as well. This move should be viewed less about short term redundancies and needs and more about a great opportunity to acquire an impact player and a long term fit for your franchise QB. This may be our last opportunity to grab a clear blue chip prospect in very long time, and that's why you go for it! Same could be said if Poles drafts any other WR or LT at 9.

I think there's almost as much redundancy using #9 on a WR as there is on using it on a TE. Either way, it's going to be tough to fully utilize this player given the other guys we have at the position. One difference is that Bowers would more than likely be TE1 very quickly, whereas Odunza is going to be WR3 for the whole season, barring injury. Of course, that makes Kmet a little less valuable, and it would be a great move if they could move him, although from what has been written, they love his versatility. Bowers is not going to be as good at blocking most likely. So maybe that means Everett's role is reduced.

It's a tough decision, and I think the best move is trading down to get a 2nd round pick, and using that to get the WR3. Or just taking the best def. lineman at 9.

Agreed, except I think they'll go offense regardless if they stay at 9 (which I think they'll do) or trade down. Edge is the biggest need at a highly valued position, but I think this draft is all about obtaining the BPA on offense to set up Caleb since they are all in on him succeeding, their jobs literally depend on it. Poles and Flus have basically communicated as much regarding obtaining a BPA, blue chip guy at 9. Poles also spoke on not just considering short term needs, but long term as well when speaking about the 9th pick. Guys like Allen and Everett likely won't be long term fits. So if they trade down I don't expect it to be very far. OT is probably on the board as well if Poles really thinks we can get a difference maker there... he's spoken on the quality of OT's in this class unsolicited. This will hopefully be our last chance to draft within the top 15 in a while, I think they are going to take advantage of that and prioritize quality over quantity.

I've also heard next year's draft class is projected to be much deeper in edge talent and we have a bunch more picks. Possible they look for a stop gap for next season until then.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,131

Post#672 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:21 am

Read on Twitter
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,442

Post#673 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:02 am

Dominator83 wrote:

Read on Twitter

We knew all along they couldn't afford to build their own stadium

It’s going to be interesting to see how Friends of the Parks responds to this. I know the Bears had a sit-down with them and I presume the “we’re actually gonna add new park space” is meant as a concession to try to fend off litigation.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager

Post#674 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:17 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Highly likely this will be the guy, I’m assuming they trade down though right??
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,624
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#675 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:30 am

I'm down for Murphy. Flus likes to rotate his D-Line so Dexter and Murphy could split snaps and stay fresh all game. Lots of pressure up the middle of the defense.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,353

Post#676 » by Kurt Heimlich » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:35 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Seems kind of odd they didn't have a top 30 visit with Byron if hes a potential target at 9 (or trade back even), right? Seems like turner latu or chop are the more obvious d line guys with the round 1 pick 'as top 30 visit guys. Unless this top 30 visit stuff is as abided by as is the tampering period in free agency I guess lol.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,468

Post#677 » by fleet » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:24 am

Kurt Heimlich wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Seems kind of odd they didn't have a top 30 visit with Byron if hes a potential target at 9 (or trade back even), right? Seems like turner latu or chop are the more obvious d line guys with the round 1 pick 'as top 30 visit guys. Unless this top 30 visit stuff is as abided by as is the tampering period in free agency I guess lol.

No 30 visit should indicate they aren’t drafting him. He’s not their type anyway. It looks like a classic smokescreen.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,614

Post#678 » by Dominator83 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:29 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

While that probably is true, Pat Mahomes has gotten alot better since college. With alot of these players it's about how you translate and add to your game once your in the big leagues.

I remember reading alot pre-draft that year because we had the 3rd pick. And a common comparison for Mahomes was......... Jay Cutler! Mahomes the NFL player far beats Mahomes the college player. Which is rare considering for the majority of QBs it's the other way around.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
NecessaryEvil
General Manager

Post#679 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:30 am

fleet wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

No 30 visit should indicate they aren’t drafting him. He’s not their type anyway. It looks like a classic smokescreen.

Mannnnnnnn I hope that’s the case
NecessaryEvil
General Manager

Post#680 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:56 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls