Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,568

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#441 » by dice » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:26 pm

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
dice wrote:
Mindcrime wrote:FWIW Bears top 30 visits by position looks like that:

QB - 1(Caleb)
WR - 6
TE - 3
RB - 1
C - 2
OL - 4
DT - 0
DE - 4
CB - 3
S - 1
LB - 1

4 TE/RB and 0 DT is a bit odd. d-line coaches might not be too happy w/ the new golden boy waldron

It's probably more a function of the Bears defense being so much more advanced than their offense

i wouldn't be so sure given the free agent choices and caleb coming in
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
El Ridda
Rookie
And1: 167

Post#442 » by El Ridda » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:47 pm

Scenario: number 9 pick is up and Odunze is there. You’re Ryan Poles and Buffalo offers you the following deal to pick him:

First this year (28), second this year (60), first next year. You look at the trade chart, and it’s a relatively equal value.

Do you take the deal?
Cup of Cognac, Hidden Dime Sack.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,118

Post#443 » by NecessaryEvil » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:51 pm

Read on Twitter

WR Marvin Harrison Jr
The ultimate draft for the Bears would be doing what it takes to trade up to 4 with Arizona or 5 with the Chargers (if Arizona trades down with a QB-needy team like Minnesota) and getting Harrison Jr to pair up the best two prospects in the draft for the long-haul. The cost would be expensive-when Houston traded up from 12 to 3 last season, it cost them 33, and a 2024 1st and 3rd, while getting back 105.

The Bears would likely have to give up their 2025 1st and the 75th pick to move up and get Harrison Jr if not at least another pick in 2025. Still, I think it would be worth pairing up Harrison Jr, the most complete WR coming out in years, and Williams, the most hyped-up QB in years.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,120

Post#444 » by patryk7754 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:46 am

Someone I wouldn’t be surprised if we draft is Floridas WR. I forget his name but he seems like a guy who can fill the role Poles wanted Velus Jones to play. The Florida kid is very versatile and a really good route runner. I believe he had a good 40 time as well
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#445 » by patryk7754 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:49 am

El Ridda wrote:Scenario: number 9 pick is up and Odunze is there. You’re Ryan Poles and Buffalo offers you the following deal to pick him:

First this year (28), second this year (60), first next year. You look at the trade chart, and it’s a relatively equal value.

Do you take the deal?

I don’t think that’s close to being enough. We trade down nearly 20 spots and get basically the same haul Houston trade to move up 9. It’s a deep class, but the difference in prospect level from the top ten to 28 is significant, especially if Odunze is there

I’m not sure if the bills would be willing to give up the picks that would satisfy me. It would start at second this year, first and second next year.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,568

Post#446 » by dice » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:54 am

El Ridda wrote:Scenario: number 9 pick is up and Odunze is there. You’re Ryan Poles and Buffalo offers you the following deal to pick him:

Do you take the deal?

probably, but tough pill to swallow
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,617
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#447 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:36 am

dice wrote:

Do you take the deal?

If Poles thinks Latu or a similar prospect will be there at #28, then I would say yes. Agree that it's tough though.
El Ridda
Rookie
And1: 167

Post#448 » by El Ridda » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:11 am

ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
dice wrote:

Do you take the deal?

If Poles thinks Latu or a similar prospect will be there at #28, then I would say yes. Agree that it's tough though.

What would intuited me is the pick next year and the possibility that Buffalo regresses next year. And if Allen missed a significant chunk of the season- oh boy.
Cup of Cognac, Hidden Dime Sack.
JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 371

Post#449 » by JockItch43 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:05 am

Do you take the deal?

Nope... and neither is Poles. If all goes as planned, this may be our last opportunity to draft a blue chip guy for awhile. I like my chances with as many 5 star type of players we can get, not a bunch of 3 star players. We are trying to hit a homerun with that 9th pick.
NesimLE
Junior
And1: 218

Post#450 » by NesimLE » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:26 am

JockItch43 wrote:

Do you take the deal?

Nope... and neither is Poles. If all goes as planned, this may be our last opportunity to draft a blue chip guy for awhile. I like my chances with as many 5 star type of players we can get, not a bunch of 3 star players. We are trying to hit a homerun with that 9th pick.

Not necessarily, that'd leave us with an extra first and an extra second if we wanted to move up to target a guy next year. So it really depends on how Poles evaluates the options at 9 vs what the board looks like next year. Rome is probably a high enough tier of prospect that you just take him and don't worry about it though.
JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 371

Post#451 » by JockItch43 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:02 am

NesimLE wrote:
JockItch43 wrote:

Do you take the deal?

Not necessarily, that'd leave us with an extra first and an extra second if we wanted to move up to target a guy next year. So it really depends on how Poles evaluates the options at 9 vs what the board looks like next year. Rome is probably a high enough tier of prospect that you just take him and don't worry about it though.

Fair point but unless you think Buffalo is going to have a down year, I wouldn't do it. If their 1st next year is in the upper 20's and ours is hopefully around the 20 range, I'm not sure if that's enough to move up to get the caliber of prospect we will have the opportunity to draft at 9 this year. And this year should be all about setting up Caleb for as much immediate success as possible... and is why I think they'll go offense despite the need at edge. Edge class next year is supposed to be deeper as well... I'm thinking they may sign a stop gap until then.
The Evidence
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,621

Post#452 » by The Evidence » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:29 am

Does Caleb really need a WR with Odunze's profile though?

i.e. a big body receiver good at winning 50/50 balls?

His favorite targets in college were all burners.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 594

Post#453 » by Almost Retired » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:53 am

patryk7754 wrote:Someone I wouldn’t be surprised if we draft is Floridas WR. I forget his name but he seems like a guy who can fill the role Poles wanted Velus Jones to play. The Florida kid is very versatile and a really good route runner. I believe he had a good 40 time as well

Ricky Pearsall. Great athlete. 4.4 speed. 42" vertical ! 10' 9" Broad jump. And he has velcro hands. And I think he's moving up in the mock drafts. Early 2nd rounder now. I would take a draft of Latu at EDGE and Pearsall at WR over Odunze alone. And I like Odunze a lot. But I think Latu is going to be really good and so is Pearsall.
Almost Retired
Rookie

Post#454 » by Almost Retired » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:04 pm

ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
dice wrote:

Do you take the deal?

I think Latu is going to go off the board somewhere between 16 and 21. Teams that could use an EDGE are Seattle at 16, Jacksonville at 17, the Rams at 19, and Miami at 21. Latu is a top 8 talent who is only going to fall due to his medical history and the fact that so many bad teams need a QB at the top of the Draft. Latu's medicals don't scare me off. His talent is undeniable. Lining up Latu opposite of Sweat would create a nightmare pass rush. And we have to face quite a few good QBs next season.
chitowndish
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#456 » by chitowndish » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:34 pm

Here's another Bower's video. I'd be good with him he's a beast the speed, size, hands and he makes good decisions quickly. He would make things a lot easier for Caleb and be able to grow with him. The plays at 3:07 and 6:42 get me and really the string of plays after that 3:07 one are great. I don't mind that we have Kmet you can line up Bowers anywhere he is just a flat out weapon out there. I'd still probably go Odunze if he is there but if not I probably just grab Bowers and be happy I got him.

Almost Retired
Rookie

Post#457 » by Almost Retired » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:26 pm

chitowndish wrote:Here's another Bower's video. I'd be good with him he's a beast the speed, size, hands and he makes good decisions quickly. He would make things a lot easier for Caleb and be able to grow with him. The plays at 3:07 and 6:42 get me and really the string of plays after that 3:07 one are great. I don't mind that we have Kmet you can line up Bowers anywhere he is just a flat out weapon out there. I'd still probably go Odunze if he is there but if not I probably just grab Bowers and be happy I got him.

A coach like Kyle Shanahan would do wonders with a weapon like Bowers. I don't view him as a TE. He is a multi purpose offensive weapon. Line him up at TE, in the slot, in the backfield....A match up nightmare.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,697

Post#458 » by nitetrain8603 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:34 pm

The more I think about it, the more I'm okay with trading up for MHJ if it's a 2025 pick you give up. Chances are, you're not going to end up with as high as a pick next year and MHJ would grade out higher than whoever's there 1-9 next year as well. So why not?
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#459 » by patryk7754 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:48 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:The more I think about it, the more I'm okay with trading up for MHJ if it's a 2025 pick you give up. Chances are, you're not going to end up with as high as a pick next year and MHJ would grade out higher than whoever's there 1-9 next year as well. So why not?

I think Harrison will be a top 5 WR. When I think of what it costs to trade up for him, I look at it like this....Would I trade a pro bowl level player plus a 2nd (plus a couple of other picks) for Justin Jefferson...Thats basically what we would be trading to move up for MHJ. I would definitely do it
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,661

Post#460 » by sco » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:11 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
nitetrain8603 wrote:The more I think about it, the more I'm okay with trading up for MHJ if it's a 2025 pick you give up. Chances are, you're not going to end up with as high as a pick next year and MHJ would grade out higher than whoever's there 1-9 next year as well. So why not?

I think Harrison will be a top 5 WR. When I think of what it costs to trade up for him, I look at it like this....Would I trade a pro bowl level player plus a 2nd (plus a couple of other picks) for Justin Jefferson...Thats basically what we would be trading to move up for MHJ. I would definitely do it

I like all 3 of the top WRs, but am personally rooting for 3 WRs and 4 QBs to go before us to give us either the top OL or DL player at 9.
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls