Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,954
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#641 » by MalagaBulls » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:04 pm

Read on Twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,468

Post#642 » by fleet » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:13 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:The Bears haven't used a top 30 visit on Byron Murphy. They haven't used it on any DT, and have used it on 5 DEs.

I agree with Infante this is about the time that the Wright stuff started swirling, but Murphy seems strange. I thought Dexter was really solid last year, and this team doesn't have a starting DE across Sweat. Now if they think Murphy is a superstar and there isn't a superstar DE out there, than take Murphy, fine. And maybe thats it.

Short arms. Short. Not quite a Poles type. Not in the first round anyway. I would bet on Fuaga Fautanu Latham and shore up the O-line before I bet on Murphy. Who knows. And we were led to believe they fell in love with one of these pass rushers. I heard Atlanta might get their pick revoked in front of the Bears.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#643 » by Dresden » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:20 pm

JockItch43 wrote:
dice wrote:
JockItch43 wrote:
And he led the entire Georgia offense in receptions, yards, and recieving touchdowns.

he should if he's even a 1st round talent!

Everett is on a 2 year contract, he'll obviously be here this upcoming season, I don't know the specifics behind the contract and the feasibility of cutting him loose after the first year.

similar cap hit both years. he'd have to be traded for peanuts

Regardless, even if he's here for two years, Waldron has also been known to run 3 TE sets with 13 personnel.

which obviously would be rare given the swift signing

this is just an example of people bending over backwards to come up with scenarios where taking bowers wouldn't be wasting/diluting resources to some degree

Your point is irrelevant about divvying up yards on the offense.

you JUST said he could easily top 1000 yards. so show your work!

the reality is that bowers can't be featured to the degree necessary to justify his selection at 9 w/o both a highly optimistic projection of offensive output AND diluting the roles/value of others

yes, folks, there is such a concept as too much of a good thing when your resources are limited. if caleb is the real deal, bears fans should not at this point and moving forward be settling for seasons like 2018

You really think all of Allen, Moore, Swift, and Kmet will all accumulate the same or more receiving yardage as last season in addition to a guy like Odunze or Bowers matching those receiving numbers of Moore and Allen?

no! which is why i think poles's strategy sucks. he's made splashy offensive offseason signings which will create excitement but be less than optimal for winning

If either Odunze or Bowers accumulate 700-800 yards next year with all these weapons we have, would you consider that a fail at the 9th pick?

not if it's odunze at WR3 and the plan is to let allen walk at season's end. but it was always my preference to sign a younger WR who could fulfill either the #2 or #3 role depending on whether odunze was available. that's clearly not keenan allen. so we're left with a less than ideal situation at #9 regardless...at least in the short term

The defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs got by with an aging TE as their number one producer and receiving target. The team they played in the Super Bowl had a TE as their 2nd receiving producer. If you think Bowers has potential to be at that level, you strongly consider it regardless of typical conventions.

as i said, bowers should be expected to be the #2 guy at #9. the bears should be thinking bigger

and the chiefs are a kinda unicorn situation, no?

Bowers could easily develop into the number two or even the number one guy, that's the whole point of taking him! And I don't know what you're talking about regarding "show your work!". You clearly missed my point entirely. He could rack up over 1000 yards next year, that shouldn't surprise anyone. Someone could get hurt, he could just be featured more due to ability... the point was, like you alluded to in a pervious post, there's only so much of the ball to go around. Bowers racking up that much yardage likely means one of these other guys role is reduced a bit. He could also put up 700 yards next year like Kmet did last year and I'd still consider that a success. And while there's only so much of the ball to go around, there's also only so much these defenses will be able to cover with all these options. Now that we will have a QB who can actually take advantage and has the ability to spread the ball around, that's the immediate short term benefit of a move like this for another receiving weapon. That... and it mitigates quality depth issues should a guy like Allen, Moore, Kmet, etc go down for a bit.

All of this can be said for a guy like Odunze, Nabers, or MHJ as well. This move should be viewed less about short term redundancies and needs and more about a great opportunity to acquire an impact player and a long term fit for your franchise QB. This may be our last opportunity to grab a clear blue chip prospect in very long time, and that's why you go for it! Same could be said if Poles drafts any other WR or LT at 9.

I think there's almost as much redundancy using #9 on a WR as there is on using it on a TE. Either way, it's going to be tough to fully utilize this player given the other guys we have at the position. One difference is that Bowers would more than likely be TE1 very quickly, whereas Odunza is going to be WR3 for the whole season, barring injury. Of course, that makes Kmet a little less valuable, and it would be a great move if they could move him, although from what has been written, they love his versatility. Bowers is not going to be as good at blocking most likely. So maybe that means Everett's role is reduced.

It's a tough decision, and I think the best move is trading down to get a 2nd round pick, and using that to get the WR3. Or just taking the best def. lineman at 9.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,131

Post#644 » by NecessaryEvil » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:38 pm

Read on Twitter
NecessaryEvil
General Manager

Post#645 » by NecessaryEvil » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Can someone fill me in on what exactly this means for the Bears?
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,884

Post#646 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:48 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Basically nothing unless they forfeit #8.

If they forfeit #8, we'll pick one spot higher.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,468

Post#647 » by fleet » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:56 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Means they probably have a choice of Dallas Turner and Odunze. At least, Turner.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager

Post#648 » by NecessaryEvil » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:09 pm

Thank u kind sirs!
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,300

Post#649 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:10 pm

No way they take away 8 a couple days before that draft. That would be a brutal penalty.

I'm guessing its 2025 compensation, but its just a guess. Maybe they want to announce it before this draft as it may effect how Atlanta approaches Thursday with less 2025 capital.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Dresden
RealGM

Post#650 » by Dresden » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:25 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:No way they take away 8 a couple days before that draft. That would be a brutal penalty.

I'm guessing its 2025 compensation, but its just a guess. Maybe they want to announce it before this draft as it may effect how Atlanta approaches Thursday with less 2025 capital.

I agree- it would have to be really egregious to invoke that kind of sanction.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,801

Post#651 » by Jcool0 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,031

Post#652 » by Chi town » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:51 pm

fleet wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:The Bears haven't used a top 30 visit on Byron Murphy. They haven't used it on any DT, and have used it on 5 DEs.

I agree with Infante this is about the time that the Wright stuff started swirling, but Murphy seems strange. I thought Dexter was really solid last year, and this team doesn't have a starting DE across Sweat. Now if they think Murphy is a superstar and there isn't a superstar DE out there, than take Murphy, fine. And maybe thats it.

Short arms. Short. Not quite a Poles type. Not in the first round anyway. I would bet on Fuaga Fautanu Latham and shore up the O-line before I bet on Murphy. Who knows. And we were led to believe they fell in love with one of these pass rushers. I heard Atlanta might get their pick revoked in front of the Bears.

3 Tech is the most important position in Flus D. If we draft a good one it would do more for D and Sweat than a DE.

I can see a trade back a couple spots for DT.
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#653 » by JohnnyTapwater » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:14 pm

I hear Dexter and Pickens are seen as 3T's so I'm starting to doubt DT as an option.

WR, DE, or OT are probably what's going to happen no matter what.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,353

Post#654 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:45 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:No way they take away 8 a couple days before that draft. That would be a brutal penalty.

Yeah taking 8 away feels like wishful thinking for bears fans. 2025 1st is certainly in play to be lost though sounds like. Would love the free move up the board though.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,442

Post#655 » by jnrjr79 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:48 pm

Kurt Heimlich wrote:

Yeah taking 8 away feels like wishful thinking for bears fans. 2025 1st is certainly in play to be lost though sounds like. Would love the free move up the board though.

NBC Sports had an article on it today and speculated that rather than taking the 1st away entirely, they might just put them at 32 and bump every other team up one.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,353

Post#656 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:56 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:

NBC Sports had an article on it today and speculated that rather than taking the 1st away entirely, they might just put them at 32 and bump every other team up one.

That'd be great for the bears too obviously. I'd just be suprised if they made such a huge change to this year's draft 3 days before the draft which is why the 2025 draft pick punishment feels more likely (to me at least).
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,456

Post#657 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:58 pm

Broncos getting Zach Wilson is not good for us. Thought they might trade up for JJ Mcarthey.

That’s one less suitor that could potentially push the non QBs further down. There is separation after the first 8 picks. We need JJ to get drafted early so one of the WRs, Turner or Alt fall to us. If that doesn’t happen or a team ahead of us doesn’t make a surprising pick, I’m trading back. Idk if there’s much difference between pick 9 and 15.

Also — I’d absolutely trade up for Marv.
Peelboy
Starter
And1: 1,013

Post#658 » by Peelboy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:53 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:Broncos getting Zach Wilson is not good for us. Thought they might trade up for JJ Mcarthey.

That’s one less suitor that could potentially push the non QBs further down. There is separation after the first 8 picks. We need JJ to get drafted early so one of the WRs, Turner or Alt fall to us. If that doesn’t happen or a team ahead of us doesn’t make a surprising pick, I’m trading back. Idk if there’s much difference between pick 9 and 15.

Also — I’d absolutely trade up for Marv.

There's literally no impact Zach Wilson has on a team trading up in the first for a QB. He's near-useless, if they like McCarthy (or Daniels or anyone) as a franchise guy, they're not saying "good thing we don't need him now what we have Zach Wilson."

I'm fully on board with the following options in order:
1. Draft Harrison/Nabers/Odunze/Alt if one slides.
2. Otherwise, trade down, that should mean likely one of the top 4 QBs slid (unless it's 4 QBs and those 4 in the top 8). So tell Minnesota/LA/NO to bid against each other for who wants the 4th QB (seems like McCarthy or Maye). I doubt you can get 11 and 23, but should be able to do something like 13 and 44, 14 and 45, etc. Maybe even another later pick.
3. With the lower FRP and now a 2d, grab one of OL/DL and then a WR in the 2d. If you get lucky and add a 2 and a 3, throw in a C.

My ideal would be something like Caleb, Odunze, Frazier/Van Pran. Or Caleb, Verse (1st - ~14), Coleman/McConkey (2d), Van Pran/Frazier (3d), another DL or OL in 3d.

One Q is what likely 6/1 cuts are on the DL or OL. That could impact the calculus. A vet DE along the lines of Walker likely being availbale would make me lean totally offense in the draft.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#659 » by Dresden » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:23 pm

if the Bears do go for a WR at 9, they better be patient, because as I heard on ESPN this morning: "Rome wasn't built in Odunze"...
Dresden
RealGM

Post#660 » by Dresden » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:23 pm

The meager return the Jets got for Wilson is about in line with what the Bears got for Fields. Goes to show teams just aren't willing to let go of valuable draft picks for unproven QB's.

Return to Chicago Bulls