Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,954
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#761 » by MalagaBulls » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:19 pm

It doesn't mean much since he'll probably get picked up for a GM role after this season:

Read on Twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,665

Post#762 » by sco » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:29 pm

I keep seeing that teams who think NY Jets are taking Bowers may want to jump above them to grab him. That would be a huge win for us! At this point I'm all in on one of the WR's or Alt available at 9 or trading down a few spots and nabbing Verse.
:clap:
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 596

Post#763 » by Almost Retired » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:30 pm

dice wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Bowers is the only pick that would shock me. He likely wouldn’t see the field much next year.

now that's just silly. he might quickly be TE1. he'd certainly be TE2 in an offense featuring a lot of 2 TE sets

Bowers is not going to be a traditional TE as we have known them. He's not as big and thus will have less impact in the run game. If it was between Bowers and Odunze I'd take Odunze. But Bowers would certainly see the field...a lot. Lined up as TE2, in the slot, as a 3rd WR, and maybe in the backfield. He is a weapon capable of creating mismatches all over the field under a creative Offensive Coordinator. Kyle Shanahan would give up a testicle to have a guy like Bowers to scheme up.
Almost Retired
Rookie

Post#764 » by Almost Retired » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:46 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:For anyone wondering why they are announcing it Wednesday before the draft, its because they want everyone to forget about it. Taxpayers have 2.3 billion lying around to spend on an inaccessible stadium? What a waste.

It's sad that the priority is a new public funded stadium while the city and it's infrastructure is deteriorating rapidly around it.

They can just raise property taxes to pay for it. Or float a big municipal bond offering. Since when should the cost to taxpayers be considered when making spending decisions. If they build it I'm sure the Chicago and State pols will be afforded nice suites for viewing games.
Almost Retired
Rookie

Post#765 » by Almost Retired » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:22 pm

Caleb is approaching his prep for the NFL like a veteran. He's been groomed for this moment since he was 10 years old. Coaching. Nutritionists. Now biomechanical analysis and training. He's leaving no stone unturned to try to become the best. And Dan Orlovsky would take Bowers at #9.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,302

Post#766 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:55 pm

Listening to a lot of the 'final' mocks on my podcasts, The Ringer Draft Show noted this on the Bears.

-Think they'll take one of the top 3 receivers if they're there. (Which they note they won't be).
-Hearing the Bears like Jared Verse. Similar pick to Wright last year, the Bears don't care if it's considered a slight reach.
-Think the Bears will try and trade down when the receivers are gone.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#767 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:06 pm

Multiple guesses from various sources on what happens (and maybe my own bias).

Atlanta is in a good spot to trade back and have someone jump Chicago for Odunze. Very real possibility this happens.
If the receivers are gone, Chicago then will likely look to trade back, trying to add a 2nd.
Teams could want to jump the Jets for Bowers or an OT. Colts make a lot of sense.

Bears could drop back to 15, and still get a guy they love, Murphy or Verse. This would be the 2nd best scenario after drafting Odunze for the Bears.
DuallyNoted
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#768 » by DuallyNoted » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:08 pm

Almost Retired wrote:
Caleb is approaching his prep for the NFL like a veteran. He's been groomed for this moment since he was 10 years old. Coaching. Nutritionists. Now biomechanical analysis and training. He's leaving no stone unturned to try to become the best. And Dan Orlovsky would take Bowers at #9.

shouldn't this guy be busy coaching justin fields to become the greatest of all time like he said he was going to or did he decide to run out of bounds in the endzone on that stupid take too
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#769 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:11 pm

DuallyNoted wrote:
Almost Retired wrote:

shouldn't this guy be busy coaching justin fields to become the greatest of all time like he said he was going to or did he decide to run out of bounds in the endzone on that stupid take too

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Didn't he say the Bears should take Jayden Daniels too?

He's a hot take master who has learned from Stephen A.
El Ridda
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#770 » by El Ridda » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:46 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Multiple guesses from various sources on what happens (and maybe my own bias).

Atlanta is in a good spot to trade back and have someone jump Chicago for Odunze. Very real possibility this happens.
If the receivers are gone, Chicago then will likely look to trade back, trying to add a 2nd.
Teams could want to jump the Jets for Bowers or an OT. Colts make a lot of sense.

Bears could drop back to 15, and still get a guy they love, Murphy or Verse. This would be the 2nd best scenario after drafting Odunze for the Bears.

Or the bears stay at 9 and take the first defensive player in the draft. Either turner or Murphy.
Cup of Cognac, Hidden Dime Sack.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#771 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:51 pm

El Ridda wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Multiple guesses from various sources on what happens (and maybe my own bias).

Or the bears stay at 9 and take the first defensive player in the draft. Either turner or Murphy.

Absolutely, that's probably the most likely outcome. Need a trade partner to move back, may be tough to find one.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,884

Post#772 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:53 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Bowers is the only pick that would shock me. He likely wouldn’t see the field much next year.

I think there is likely interest in him from the Jets and Colts and Bengals. Would love a trade down with one of those teams.

Bowers wouldn't see the field much?

Don't agree with that at all. He'd play a ton.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,131

Post#773 » by NecessaryEvil » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#774 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:34 pm

Wright steam really picked up at this time last year.

No one should be surprised when they call Murphy at 9 tomorrow.
NesimLE
Junior
And1: 220

Post#775 » by NesimLE » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:46 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Wright steam really picked up at this time last year.

No one should be surprised when they call Murphy at 9 tomorrow.

Maybe we can pry something from the Jets if they want to keep us from trading back…swap our 4th for a 3rd maybe?
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#776 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:52 pm

I wouldn't be happy with Murphy.

We had a truly elite DT prospect fall in our lap last year. We passed for a non-elite OT.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#777 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:58 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:

I think there is likely interest in him from the Jets and Colts and Bengals. Would love a trade down with one of those teams.

Correct, he wouldn't see the field much to me.

Everett knows Waldren's system and is a good pass catcher.
Kmet is a top 10 TE.

Ask JSN about Waldren feeding pass catching rookies.

Rookie TE's take a while to get going (last years pass catchers being an exception, although they have veteran QBs that love throwing over the middle as their QBs. Not a rookie QB).

Probably not going to ask him to pass block much and risk Caleb's head getting taken off. Blocking wonder rookie Darnell Washington last year struggled with Pittsburgh, missed a lot of blocks.

It'd be something like 30 receptions, 1-2 TDs, a dozen jet sweeps for him for the year. IMO
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#778 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:59 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:

Kmet is a top 10 TE.

Rookie TE's take a while to get going (last years pass catchers being an exception, although they have veteran QBs that love throwing over the middle as their QBs. Not a rookie QB).

Probably not going to ask him to pass block much and risk Caleb's head getting taken off. Blocking wonder rookie Darnell Washington last year struggled with Pittsburgh, missed a lot of blocks.

It'd be something like 30 receptions, 1-2 TDs, a dozen jet sweeps for him for the year. IMO

You're missing that he'd be WR3. And that guy plays a lot.

Plus snaps at HB.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#779 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:10 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Bowers wouldn't see the field much?

Kmet is a top 10 TE.

Plus snaps at HB.

To me you're describing a gadget player, not someone you draft at 9. Draft Malichi Corley at 75 and get a foundational piece at lineman at 9.

I don't other teams like the Jets plan on using him at RB and WR3, where he'd likely struggle a bit more to separate from nickels and safeties in the NFL.

What's his HB usage look like with Swift, Johnson, and Herbert here? Less than a dozen touches there. He's going to be more successful than them in the backfield? I doubt that.

Hopefully we won't have to find out, for my sanity, lol.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#780 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:20 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

Kmet is a top 10 TE.

Plus snaps at HB.

To me you're describing a gadget player, not someone you draft at 9. Draft Malichi Corley at 75 and get a foundational piece at lineman at 9.

I don't other teams like the Jets plan on using him at RB and WR3, where he'd likely struggle a bit more to separate from nickels and safeties in the NFL.

What's his HB usage look like with Swift, Johnson, and Herbert here? Less than a dozen touches there. He's going to be more successful than them in the backfield? I doubt that.

Hopefully we won't have to find out, for my sanity, lol.

I think he'd be a more successful passing down "HB" than any of those guys actually. Maybe not immediately but pretty quickly.

Him at HB is kind of 'gadget'. But a TE getting a bunch of slot snaps isn't gadget at all. It's typical.

Return to Chicago Bulls