Image ImageImage Image

Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Donovan a top candidate for Kentucky

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,415

Re: Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Donovan a top candidate for Kentucky 

Post#81 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:42 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
Red8911 wrote:Why would Billy want to leave the NBA to go coach college ? NBA is the much better job no matter what what team it is especially the bulls. Let’s not forget he’s still under contract.

Wouldn’t make much sense for him to do this unless he knows the Bulls will fire him in the offseason.

Aside from anything else, it pays substantially more.

No one leaves the NBA for college for an extra 2 million. They only leave if they get fired. Billy is only leaving if its clear the Bulls might move on from him soon.

LOL @ only "an extra 2 million." My word.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,273

Re: Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Donovan a top candidate for Kentucky 

Post#82 » by kodo » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:18 pm

Calipari got $86M for 10 years, the money & safety of the years is staggering.
AK gave Billy $24M over 4 years before the extension.

The largest coaching contract in NBA history was given to Monty and it was less than the UK contract, and most people are saying that was a terrible overpay. And it was based on Monty taking his team to the Finals and getting his team 64 regular season wins, something Donovan is guaranteed to not do with this current Bulls group.
boundbymusic
Senior
And1: 289

Post#83 » by boundbymusic » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:18 pm

Currently a rumor making the rounds on the collage boards that Billy is in Lexington today hearing their pitch.

While I highly doubt he'd fly down there on game-day, it is only about a 45 minute flight on a PJ.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,714

Post#84 » by madvillian » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:59 pm

Money talks. The sad thing is if he does leave, we just know Michael won't make a good hire. We can do worse and we will.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,222

Post#85 » by Red8911 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:09 pm

boundbymusic wrote:Currently a rumor making the rounds on the collage boards that Billy is in Lexington today hearing their pitch.

While I highly doubt he'd fly down there on game-day, it is only about a 45 minute flight on a PJ.

It’s probably BS, that’s unprofessional and Billy doesn’t seem like the person to be talking to other teams while under contact.

If it is true he should be fired right now. First he’s probably not allowed to do that and second that shows that he’s not focused on his current job which is coaching the bulls especially now that is the most important time of the year.

If the bulls and Billy already have discussed and agreed that he’s leaving at the end of the season then I guess it’s fine as long as he does his job right until he leaves.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,222

Post#86 » by Red8911 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:13 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

No one leaves the NBA for college for an extra 2 million. They only leave if they get fired. Billy is only leaving if its clear the Bulls might move on from him soon.

Yeah if it’s actually 2 million more for college then yeah he would definitely leave the bulls to make more there.

Didn’t realize College can pay as much or even more than NBA for a coach. That’s insane.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,961

Post#87 » by Wingy » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:16 pm

40 minutes of hell. It's time for Big Nasty Corliss Williamson.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#88 » by madvillian » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:21 pm

Red8911 wrote:
boundbymusic wrote:Currently a rumor making the rounds on the collage boards that Billy is in Lexington today hearing their pitch.

It’s probably BS, that’s unprofessional and Billy doesn’t seem like the person to be talking to other teams while under contact.

If it is true he should be fired right now. First he’s probably not allowed to do that and second that shows that he’s not focused on his current job which is coaching the bulls especially now that is the most important time of the year.

If the bulls and Billy already have discussed and agreed that he’s leaving at the end of the season then I guess it’s fine as long as he does his job right until he leaves.

This is way over the top. Coaches interview under contract all the time. I don't think it's a great use of 3 hours to run down there and interview, but then again BD could have just taken a 3 hour nap today and not thought about Bulls basketball as well. His time is his time.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,800

Post#89 » by Jcool0 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:25 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

There is a reason you don't see NBA head coaches constantly going to college. when they are making 20+ million (total) in the NBA they aren't jumping for a little more for a college job.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,521

Post#90 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:42 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

There is a reason you don't see NBA head coaches constantly going to college. when they are making 20+ million (total) in the NBA they aren't jumping for a little more for a college job.

It’s not just “a college job”, it’s Kentucky, and it’s not just more money, it’s more prestige, more control, more job security, less travel and an actual shot at winning.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#91 » by Jcool0 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:50 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

It’s not just “a college job”, it’s Kentucky, and it’s not just more money, it’s more prestige, more control, more job security, less travel and an actual shot at winning.

Its more travel and less job security. Like you said this isn't just a college job its Kentucky. He also hated recruiting and that was a big reason he left Florida (and this was before NIL and transfer rules).
madvillian
RealGM

Post#92 » by madvillian » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:03 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

all true but it's also NIL and recruiting. I'd think he leaves if the money is right, but it will take a decent raise imo.

Jcool0
RealGM

Post#93 » by Jcool0 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:06 pm

madvillian wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

all true but it's also NIL and recruiting. I'd think he leaves if the money is right, but it will take a decent raise imo.

5 years 50 million might make him jump.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#94 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:15 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

Its more travel and less job security. Like you said this isn't just a college job its Kentucky. He also hated recruiting and that was a big reason he left Florida (and this was before NIL and transfer rules).

Calipari wasn’t traveling the equivalent of 41 road games + playoffs. He has a staff to do the heavy lifting on the initial scouts.

As for job security, no, college coaches clearly have more. You see NBA HCs get fired within a few years of winning championships (Vogel, Nurse). That’d be unheard of at the college level.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#95 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:16 pm

madvillian wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

I think a decent raise would be a given.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#96 » by Jcool0 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Re: Calipari done at UK. 5 year deal with Arkansas 

Post#97 » by Stratmaster » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:05 pm

JimmyButler21 wrote:I'm hearing this could have serious Bulls implications..

Yes Please! PLEASE!!
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#98 » by Stratmaster » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:07 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

YES!! CHRISTMAS COMING EARLY! Or late? I don't care, as long as it happens.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#99 » by Stratmaster » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:11 pm

DuckIII wrote:Whatever. No new coach is going to do anything better with this nonsensical roster. Nothing matters except the only thing that matters, and the only thing that matters ain’t gonna happen.

All kinds of coaches would do better. Hell, you would even do better, and we never agree.

The Bulls need a quality big and a coach that can get along with the star player. That's pretty much it. That makes PWill the 3rd big which is where he belongs. It makes Coby the first Guard/SF off the bench, which is where he belongs. It keeps Caruso from having to guard PF's, where he doesn't belong.

Absolutely AK screwed the pooch by not getting that quality big. But the "nonsensical" roster really boils down to that one piece.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#100 » by Stratmaster » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:13 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Ice Man wrote:Billy is making $6 million per year in Chicago, while Cal was making $8.5 million at Kentucky. So there's that consideration too.

The only issue is i think Billy didn't like recruiting and that was before NIL money was a thing.

And then Billy figured out that in the NBA he still has to deal with people other than players who follow his every order. Hopefully he decided recruiting ain't so bad after all.

Return to Chicago Bulls