Image ImageImage Image

Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Donovan a top candidate for Kentucky

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,611

Re: Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Donovan a top candidate for Kentucky 

Post#141 » by jacoby1us » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:55 pm

Chi town wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:With NIL, pro coaches will probably be way more reluctant to go back to college, across all sports...

But if Donovan does leave for Kentucky, I would like to explore the possibility of hiring Jay Wright. He's one of the better coaches in basketball and has done an excellent job coaching NBA talent. I thkn He and Bud would be my top two choices for a potential Donovan replacement

Jay Wright would be my #1 target.

I like Bud too. Had dinner with him years ago when Hawks played the Dubs.

Wouldn't even be a option two, all in for JAY WRIGHT!
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,964

Re: Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Donovan a top candidate for Kentucky 

Post#142 » by Wingy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:15 pm

Never been a Calipari fan, and I really roll my eyes hard at his quotes about all the kids they helped at Kentucky. As in, making the jump to the league, and getting really wealthy doing it.

To me, those kids were crazy talented and making the league with or without John Calipari and Kentucky basketball.

AITA, and they did more than I give them credit for? Or am I right that John is absolutely full of crap?
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,641

Post#143 » by Ice Man » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:25 pm

Wingy wrote:AITA, and they did more than I give them credit for? Or am I right that John is absolutely full of crap?

You are right, of course. The guy is a recruiter, plain and simple. KAT and AD went straight to the NBA as stars, the Harrison twins did not. That was on them. The successes didn't owe to Calipari and the failures didn't either.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#144 » by HomoSapien » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:26 pm

DuckIII wrote:I haven’t followed it super closely for two reasons:

1. Changing the coach of this team is like painting your house while it’s burning down. I do not care because it will just change the combination of letters people type when complaining.

2. I figured Drew was basically a lock to take it if offered. I’m shocked he turned it down.

Now, in my view, there’s a real chance BD could be in play. And if he is wooo boy I gotta tell ya, I still don’t care.

To me, it MIGHT matter. BD, from what we can tell, is arm and arm with AKME. They all seem to believe in this team in a way no one else on the planet does. No adults in the room seem to be pointing out that we have no size at the four or shooting. An outsider, hopefully, will lobby for those types of changes. We'll still complain, but it's hard for me to believe that we wouldn't make any changes with a new coach. If BD is back, I expect we'll come back with the same roster minus Drummond and put all eggs into Lonzo Ball's basket.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,421

Post#145 » by Muzbar » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:52 pm

So Billy is under contract for 2 more years according to the wiretap news. This is the first evidence of seen of how long his secret extension was/is.

He'll be back next year guys, sorry to burst anyone's bubble.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,801

Post#146 » by Jcool0 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:06 pm

Seems like a B/C level option
Read on Twitter
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,790

Post#147 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:21 pm

Donovan will take the Kentucky job. He will get paid significantly more and will actually get to win again.

They are talking 5 years $50 million. No way he turns that down to stay in this mess. He will take his retirement package. AK won’t fight it.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#148 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:25 pm

Jcool0 wrote:Seems like a B/C level option
Read on Twitter

There is no way they hire him before our season ends. They want Donovan.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,162

Post#149 » by League Circles » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:29 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:Donovan will take the Kentucky job. He will get paid significantly more and will actually get to win again.

They are talking 5 years $50 million. No way he turns that down to stay in this mess. He will take his retirement package. AK won’t fight it.

Let's hope you're right. I'd like to get rid of Billy, but concerned that his replacement might be worse. We've had mostly outright bad coaches in the last 25 years.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Guru
Starter
And1: 218

Post#150 » by Guru » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 pm

Who is most likely to be able to coach Zach Lavine well?

Can we trade for Popovich?
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#151 » by Lexluthor » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:18 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:Donovan will take the Kentucky job. He will get paid significantly more and will actually get to win again.

but why would he take it ? It’s a step down job plus he has already won a couple of national championships in college
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,954
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#152 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:36 pm

Read on Twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,774

Post#153 » by dougthonus » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:36 pm

Lexluthor wrote:

but why would he take it ? It’s a step down job plus he has already won a couple of national championships in college

Why do you think it's a step down job?

An elite college coach is just as prestigious as an elite NBA coach.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,162

Post#154 » by League Circles » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:12 am

dougthonus wrote:
Lexluthor wrote:

Maybe to the general public, but I think once you're in the nba club and have had success like he had with OKC, you want to be at that level forever. It's a lot harder to win in the NBA and everyone knows that.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#155 » by Jcool0 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:50 am

dougthonus wrote:
Lexluthor wrote:

Pro jobs are always better than college.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#156 » by Jcool0 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:41 am

Underwhelming
Read on Twitter
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#157 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:43 am

Jcool0 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Lexluthor wrote:but why would he take it ? It’s a step down job plus he has already won a couple of national championships in college

That’s subjective. Kentucky definitely will pay him more, shorter season, better talent for that level compared to what he has here. An administration that is all-in on winning. Possibly more recognition.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#158 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:44 am

Lexluthor wrote:

Because being the Bulls head coach and is not a great job now and his pro trajectory is bad.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#159 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:46 am

Jcool0 wrote:Underwhelming
Read on Twitter

I’m shocked they won’t wait a week. Kentucky fans are gonna be pissed. They don’t want Pope from what I’ve read.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#160 » by Jcool0 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:46 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

That’s subjective. Kentucky definitely will pay him more, shorter season, better talent for that level compared to what he has here. An administration that is all-in on winning. Possibly more recognition.

And if you don't win you will get killed by a crazy fan base and he will be dealing with guys averaging 5ppg wanting $100,000.

Return to Chicago Bulls