Image ImageImage Image

The Bulls biggest problem

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Who is the single biggest problem for the Bulls in 23-24?

Vuc
39%
Demar
2%
Zach
35%
Ball
7%
Carter
No votes
Donovan
17%

Total votes: 46

League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

The Bulls biggest problem 

Post#1 » by League Circles » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:28 pm

Just wondering who everyone thinks has been the biggest detriment to success this season. I left these guys out of the poll for these reasons:

AK - too many people would vote for him and make the discussion boring lol
Drummond, Coby, Caruso, Ayo etc (too good for too little money to be plausible choices)

The contenders:
Vuc (my pick, has been atrocious for our offense and defense and has a significant contract to boot)
Demar (a skilled scorer and leader, but play style may cause some to vote for him)
Zach (injuries, poor play this year, and huge contract)
Carter (just terrible, not insignificant contract)
Ball (big talent and contract, doesn't play due to injuries)
Donovan (a few positives but lots of shortcomings)
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,952
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Re: The Bulls biggest problem 

Post#2 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:40 pm

Read on Twitter
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,087

Post#3 » by MrSparkle » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:09 pm

Seeing as the Vuc trade opened an entire can of worms (losing a great potential pick in Franz, and another lotto pick... less urgency resigning or finding better trade value for Lauri, Gafford, Wendell)... and we're stuck with one of the highest usage, lowest percentage, least efficient Cs in the game with the biggest defensive deficiencies... it's like the cancer that keeps spreading. There's going to be no happy ending. Just a huge sunk cost.
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#4 » by Lexluthor » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:18 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Seeing as the Vuc trade opened an entire can of worms (losing a great potential pick in Franz, and another lotto pick... less urgency resigning or finding better trade value for Lauri, Gafford, Wendell)... and we're stuck with one of the highest usage, lowest percentage, least efficient Cs in the game with the biggest defensive deficiencies... it's like the cancer that keeps spreading. There's going to be no happy ending. Just a huge sunk cost.

Franz is not a franchise player just a nice third option on a championship team and Jett Howard is a bust
Bulliever2020
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,978

Post#5 » by Bulliever2020 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:31 pm

Ownership
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#6 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:40 pm

it's Vuc by a longshot for me. And not even the whole Vuc experience (trading picks for him, etc.)

Just Vuc on the floor this season.

Drummond is a +26 on the year. Vucevic is -198 on the year. Per StatMuse.

He's one of the most inefficient players in the entire league, is a bad defender.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Post#7 » by GoBlue72391 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:46 pm

I don't think it can be pinned on a single player. We would be able to overcome Vuc's shortcomings if we weren't so tiny at the 4 spot and just lacking size as a whole. We have two playable guys who are over 6'6" and one of them just got injured. That's actually wild.

We could go out next year, get rid of Vuc, and replace him with a more modern C and that would definitely help, but our core problems would remain.

We have $70M of our cap space tied up in disabled players, that is far more detrimental than any one player or coach.

We have no high-end talent south of 30. Our young players are good, solid contributors but all have relatively low ceilings.

Our roster construction is just dogsht and doesn't complement each other.

But ultimately ownership and the front office are by far our biggest problems.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,661

Post#8 » by sco » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:49 pm

First, where is AK on that list, that's the obvious problem. By extension, missing a Ball (or having $20M sitting out) was a source of pain for this team this season.
:clap:
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,656

Post#9 » by DuckIII » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:06 pm

It’s AK. I refuse to be bound.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#10 » by League Circles » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:14 pm

DuckIII wrote:It’s AK. I refuse to be bound.

The reason I omitted him and why it's so utterly boring to entertain the idea that it's him are as follows:

1. Everyone knows that most posters feel he's the biggest problem
2. It's logical to always blame the executive for team failures because the executive always choses the players and coaches
3. This website is called RealGM instead of RealOwner for a reason. We mostly enjoy analyzing roster construction, in effect playing GM. So let's just treat it as "which of AK's mistakes was our biggest detriment this year?". That's ALWAYS the question if you include management with players and coaches.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,924

Post#11 » by ChettheJet » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:24 pm

Some people must expect Vuc to be Jokic. Look he's no worse on defense than DeRozan, at least as able as Lavine, when the three of them were playing, the defense couldn't be seen. Considering he hasn't played with a respectable 6-9 or more PF basically while here, at least he rebounds the ball.

I took Zach mainly because he didn't play much but I think he more than Demar would buy into the pass the ball when you're covered and trust the other guys to make a wide open shot. Plus they really miss his 3 point shooting, if they were playing the 28 assists type game he and Patrick would have made this a different team, and I think them being healthy was part of what the run it back plan counted on.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#12 » by League Circles » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:36 pm

ChettheJet wrote:Some people must expect Vuc to be Jokic. Look he's no worse on defense than DeRozan, at least as able as Lavine, when the three of them were playing, the defense couldn't be seen. Considering he hasn't played with a respectable 6-9 or more PF basically while here, at least he rebounds the ball.

I took Zach mainly because he didn't play much but I think he more than Demar would buy into the pass the ball when you're covered and trust the other guys to make a wide open shot. Plus they really miss his 3 point shooting, if they were playing the 28 assists type game he and Patrick would have made this a different team, and I think them being healthy was part of what the run it back plan counted on.

Even if Vuc is as bad as Demar on defense, which I think is questionable considering Vuc plays the most important position on defense, Vuc's offense has been extremely bad this year. He's shooting way below league average efficiency on lots of open shots.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,390

Post#13 » by HoopsterJones » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:48 pm

1. Ownership
2. AKME
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,611

Post#14 » by jacoby1us » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:50 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:1. Ownership
2. AKME

Add Vucevic for good measure, we gotta please the OP.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,390

Post#15 » by HoopsterJones » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:51 pm

jacoby1us wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:1. Ownership
2. AKME

Add Vucevic for good measure, we gotta please the OP.

It’s implied by AKME (roster construction).
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,273

Post#16 » by kodo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:04 pm

Vuc trade can still be a mistake, recognized as such, and then minimized. But as I posted in another thread, Vuc gets more P&R opportunities than any other center in this league which is wild when considering he's the league worst P&R screener either rolling to the basket with soft hooks & fadeaways or popping for that sweet 29% 3P.

I think it's a chicken and the egg situation. If Felicio is on the team, is the problem more Felicio or the fact that the coach starts Felicio, plays him 35 mpg, and runs the offense designed to get him the ball. The previous org mitigated the bad Felicio signing by simply not playing him, and then actively looking for young replacements like Portis & Wendell. Bulls have no ever even bothered to look for a long term replacement at center who could possibly challenge Vuc for the starting position. Andre regularly outperforms Vuc, and he still doesn't get the minutes.

The entire center future position being Sanogo just smells of the org making sure Vuc gets all the touches & minutes he needs to justify his trade.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,255

Post#17 » by Dan Z » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:21 pm

Lexluthor wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Seeing as the Vuc trade opened an entire can of worms (losing a great potential pick in Franz, and another lotto pick... less urgency resigning or finding better trade value for Lauri, Gafford, Wendell)... and we're stuck with one of the highest usage, lowest percentage, least efficient Cs in the game with the biggest defensive deficiencies... it's like the cancer that keeps spreading. There's going to be no happy ending. Just a huge sunk cost.

Franz is not a franchise player just a nice third option on a championship team and Jett Howard is a bust

Franz may not be a franchise player, but he's a good young player. As for Jett...if the Bulls didn't trade for Vucevic are they still #11 in 2023? Lower? Higher? Do they pick Jett when they have Zach, Coby and Caruso on the team (shooting guards)?

At #11 there were good players available: Dereck Lively, Cason Wallace, Jaime Jacquez Jr, Keyonte George and Cam Whitmore.

Obviously none of these players are franchise level, but they're young and have potential. You won't find a franchise player if you don't try to get one or have the assets to trade for one (Vucevic isn't it).
CROBulls
Junior
And1: 160

Post#18 » by CROBulls » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:41 pm

Neither one of those. Ownership and then AKME.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,364

Post#19 » by pipfan » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:49 pm

I think our biggest problem is the fans-we lead the league in attendance and we must be really profitable. Why should ownership do anything else?
League Circles
RealGM

Post#20 » by League Circles » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:57 pm

As the consensus builds that Vuc is our biggest problem, let's consider plausible ideas to move him.

Return to Chicago Bulls