Image ImageImage Image

OT: The Masters

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,917

OT: The Masters 

Post#1 » by Dresden » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:10 am

Scheffler with a late birdie on 18 takes a one shot lead into tomorrow's final round. Can he get his second green jacket? Morikawa and Homa are in close pursuit. DeChambeau had meltdown over his last few holes, but is still within striking distance. Should be an exciting Sunday.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,662

Re: OT: The Masters 

Post#2 » by DuckIII » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:23 am

Weirdest Saturday ever.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#3 » by Dresden » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:58 am

What's the winning score going to be?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,026

Post#4 » by Chi town » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:51 am

Dresden wrote:What's the winning score going to be?

Sheffler wins at -11.

Aberg is his future rival though.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,138

Post#5 » by molepharmer » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:45 pm

DuckIII wrote:Weirdest Saturday ever.

Really was. Five players at -6 with Scheffler at -4 at one point....and then carnage happened. Augusta is unlike any other course they play. Driving it in the fairway obviously helps but your work to get birdie/par/bogie seems entirely dependent upon your second shot being precisely located on treacherous greens.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by DuckIII » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:48 am

Aberg is for real. He has game for days. I haven’t seen much of him until this week but he’s one of those lightning bolt guys. You watch him and his talent hits you like a lightning bolt. Last guy I saw who jumped out at me like that was Hovland. The talent just drips off some of these guys in a special way. Aberg is one of them.

And Scheffler is of course on his way to elite tiers of greatness. Does anyone else watch him and think he still has a way to go to reach his ceiling? I do. I think he can definitely improve. Kinda scary.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#7 » by Chi town » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:49 am

Chi town wrote:

Sheffler wins at -11.

Called it.

Sheffler starting to trend towards Tiger vibes.

Aberg gonna be a beast too.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by DuckIII » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:56 am

Chi town wrote:Sheffler starting to trend towards Tiger vibes.

Two days in a row he looked human and guys were making moves. Then they see him put up a couple red numbers and the whole field crumbles. Two days in a row.

Thats not pure coincidence. He’s getting so dominant his peers don’t think they can win. And that’s a very “Tiger Vibes” dynamic.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#9 » by Chi town » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:23 am

DuckIII wrote:
Chi town wrote:Sheffler starting to trend towards Tiger vibes.

Two days in a row he looked human and guys were making moves. Then they see him put up a couple red numbers and the whole field crumbles. Two days in a row.

Thats not pure coincidence. He’s getting so dominant his peers don’t think they can win. And that’s a very “Tiger Vibes” dynamic.

Exactly.

It’s fun to see how he doing without Tiger’s intimidating ways inviting black and red on Sundays. Scottie is an intense competitor but doesn’t talk smack or play head games like Tiger did.
Bullflip
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#10 » by Bullflip » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:28 am

Does Sheffler have a chance in overtaking Tiger on the all-time list? I still have Nicklaus as #1
Dresden
RealGM

Post#11 » by Dresden » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:33 pm

Scheffler is so consistent tee to green. Rarely missed badly with his driver. Almost never hit a bad iron shot, and the few times he did, his wedge game saved him. The only question mark is his putting, especially the short ones. And this past weekend, he hardly ever missed those, and he made some long ones to boot. When his putting is on, he's very hard to beat. Not impossible, but you'd have to play at a Tiger Woods level to beat him, because he just rarely makes mistakes.

I was surprised to see Morikawa make those mistakes on 9 and 11- he's usually more careful than that. Just goes to show how treacherous Augusta can be.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#12 » by Dresden » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:37 pm

Bullflip wrote:Does Sheffler have a chance in overtaking Tiger on the all-time list? I still have Nicklaus as #1

I doubt that. It's so hard to be that good for that long. Look what happened to Jordan Spieth and Rory. It doesn't take much to go wrong to go from perennial major contender to a guy that might win one if everything goes right. With Scheffler, it's his putting. He reminds me a little of Vijay, who could have won 2-3 more majors perhaps if he could have putted better.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Scheffler wins at least 5-6 majors.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#13 » by Dresden » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:39 pm

Chi town wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Sheffler wins at -11.

Called it.

Sheffler starting to trend towards Tiger vibes.

Aberg gonna be a beast too.

That was a good call. I would have said -10. Those approach shots on 9 and 14 for tap in birdies were huge.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,904

Post#14 » by bledredwine » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:47 pm

Go Akshay!!!!!!
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
Chi town
RealGM

Post#15 » by Chi town » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:25 am

DuckIII wrote:Aberg is for real. He has game for days. I haven’t seen much of him until this week but he’s one of those lightning bolt guys. You watch him and his talent hits you like a lightning bolt. Last guy I saw who jumped out at me like that was Hovland. The talent just drips off some of these guys in a special way. Aberg is one of them.

And Scheffler is of course on his way to elite tiers of greatness. Does anyone else watch him and think he still has a way to go to reach his ceiling? I do. I think he can definitely improve. Kinda scary.

Nailed it. Hovland and Aberg are the last two players I thought the same thing. Ridiculous talent.

Hovland is my fav player to watch. His swing show such elite athleticism.

Aberg is just so simple. Listening to him talk about his approach is refreshing too. Keeps everything simple.

Hovland has been messing with his swing and he’s j. His head like Rory and JT. Such a mental game. Rory was talking about how he was telling his fighter he had to leave to go get a lesson and she asked why he would get a lesson when he’s as good as a teacher… Rory laughed and literally said if I could have that approach to my takeaway I’d be so much better. He said he can’t figure out the first 2 feet of his swing.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#16 » by Dresden » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:02 am

Chi town wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Aberg is for real. He has game for days. I haven’t seen much of him until this week but he’s one of those lightning bolt guys. You watch him and his talent hits you like a lightning bolt. Last guy I saw who jumped out at me like that was Hovland. The talent just drips off some of these guys in a special way. Aberg is one of them.

Nailed it. Hovland and Aberg are the last two players I thought the same thing. Ridiculous talent.

Aberg is just so simple. Listening to him talk about his approach is refreshing too. Keeps everything simple.

Hovland has been messing with his swing and he’s j. His head like Rory and JT. Such a mental game. Rory was talking about how he was telling his fighter he had to leave to go get a lesson and she asked why he would get a lesson when he’s as good as a teacher… Rory laughed and literally said if I could have that approach to my takeaway I’d be so much better. He said he can’t figure out the first 2 feet of his swing.

I see a lot of good young players that look like they could become stars, but most don't. I thought Cam Smith was on his way to multiple majors the way he can putt, and he still might be. Morikawa, Mathew Fitzpatrick, Patrick Cantlay, Xander Schauffle, Whyndam Clark, Will Zalatoris, Cameron Young, plus a few other I'm forgetting. It's interesting when a player does move up to that next level like Scheffler has, or John Rahm. A lot of it is mental at that point, and you see guys lose it as quickly as they found it, like Jordan, or JT, or even Koepka. You wonder if those 3 will ever win a major again, although I'd bet on at least Koepka doing it.

Consistency is the key once you get to that level. Nicklaus was rarely out of an event- look at all the second place finishes he had in majors. Scheffler looks like that kind of player, if he can keep his putter working. Rahm seems a little too intense, and that swing of his just looks like it's hit or miss sometimes. Anyway, it's always fun when there is a true #1, who you expect to be in the top 5 of every major. Can't wait for the PGA.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,508

Post#17 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:05 am

Dresden wrote:
Chi town wrote:

I see a lot of good young players that look like they could become stars, but most don't. I thought Cam Smith was on his way to multiple majors the way he can putt, and he still might be. Morikawa, Mathew Fitzpatrick, Patrick Cantlay, Xander Schauffle, Whyndam Clark, Will Zalatoris, Cameron Young, plus a few other I'm forgetting. It's interesting when a player does move up to that next level like Scheffler has, or John Rahm. A lot of it is mental at that point, and you see guys lose it as quickly as they found it, like Jordan, or JT, or even Koepka. You wonder if those 3 will ever win a major again, although I'd bet on at least Koepka doing it.

Consistency is the key once you get to that level. Nicklaus was rarely out of an event- look at all the second place finishes he had in majors. Scheffler looks like that kind of player, if he can keep his putter working. Rahm seems a little too intense, and that swing of his just looks like it's hit or miss sometimes. Anyway, it's always fun when there is a true #1, who you expect to be in the top 5 of every major. Can't wait for the PGA.

Until I got a bit older I never understood watching golf... likely around 30. I liked playing it but watching it (sans live events which are fun) I just didn't get it. Then It finally clicked. I mean I would watch late sundays with Tiger early on (we are the same age for reference) but thats just kinda what we all did. Man it is so stupid nice to watch a round on a lazy day as an older man though.

So cool to see the swings, both in scores and the actual swings.

Scheffler looks legit. Rahm who is actually quite a nice guy or was at the BMW Championship, is always a threat. DJ best years are done but still a threat, but then again look at Phil last year. Young talent is so nice and if Woods is on thats an exciting day obviously but I am not sure health will happen again like that.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,714

Post#18 » by madvillian » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:56 am

I like watching golf but usually I'll only watch the majors, ryder cup and then once and awhile Pebble or Torrey or the Players. I really only like seeing them on the iconic courses that I really know so I can sorta judge them that day on them. I just don't have much interest in something like the RBC in SC this week. It seems cool and Scottie is playing but just no juice for me.

Only guy I went out of my way to always watch week to week was Tiger and maybe for a minute Scottie if he can get to that level. The thing about Scottie tho is he's just sorta boringly good. He's not like TW in his prime where he's gonna do wow **** regardless if he wins or loses but Scottie is just fairway green, fairway green, fairway green. When he does miss is he either chips in or puts it within 3 feet. Maybe he misses a drive once and awhile and makes bogie.

Golf is a nice sport, and one you can play and enjoy all your life.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,444

Post#19 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:18 am

Watched the final day a bit after the Netflix series hooked me.

Very enjoyable final day personally as a newcomer to the sport.

Return to Chicago Bulls