Image ImageImage Image

GT Play-In #1: Atlanta Hawks @ Chicago Bulls - Wed 4/17 @ 8:30pm CT - ESPN

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

GT Play-In #1: Atlanta Hawks @ Chicago Bulls - Wed 4/17 @ 8:30pm CT - ESPN 

Post#1 » by FriedRise » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:50 am

Read on Twitter

Late start because our game will be on ESPN after Heat vs Sixers.

Hawks will be without a couple of their guys.
Read on Twitter

They ended their season on a 6-game losing streak, and they also decided to not sign Vit Krejci who went 6-6 from deep against us last time.
JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,570

Re: GT Play-In #1: Atlanta Hawks @ Chicago Bulls - Wed 4/17 @ 8:30pm CT - ESPN 

Post#2 » by JimmyButler21 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:53 am

kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,825

Post#3 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:36 am

They win this game, and lose the other play in game. Book it.
Why so serious?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,330

Post#4 » by coldfish » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:24 am

This is like the AKME super bowl.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,548

Post#5 » by Andi Obst » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:59 am

The Hawks are terrible. You gotta win this one, no excuses.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,273

Post#6 » by kodo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:54 pm

Ayo is going to be a key player as always vs Atlanta. On the Feb 12 game Ayo had 29 points, 7 assists, 5-7 from 3. Defensively he limited Trae to 3-14 shooting, although he had plenty of dimes & FTs.

Even if Ayo is available (Bulls are still saying questionable), the fact that he's been out so long and rusty worries me a little bit. He's been our more reliable 3P shooter.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#7 » by Stratmaster » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:00 pm

And it figures the time is going to be later. Is it just me or does it seem like the Bulls never win in games where there is an odd start time?

I don't care what the result, or what the repercussions, it would sure be nice to see the bulls get through the play-ins and be in a 7 game playoff series again. Although, with a starting lineup of Ayo (hopefully), Coby, Caruso, Demar and Vuc and your biggest off the bench threat being Craig, it is sure to end in disaster.

But, wait! All is not lost. I forgot the 5 Javonte Greens!
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,663

Post#8 » by DuckIII » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:14 pm

I haven’t watched a game since Ayo went down. He was the only remaining thing interesting to watch. Other than the 1999 lame duck season, this is by far the least interesting Bulls team of my “fan lifetime” (about 38 years). This season has been so incredibly dull.

But as a die hard hater of the sham play-in nonsense whether my team is in it or not, at least the matchup piques my interest. It’s worth watching if just to root against Trae Young. If Ayo is back all the better.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,222

Post#9 » by Red8911 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:27 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:They win this game, and lose the other play in game. Book it.

Bulls will surprise everyone by winning both and making the playoffs.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,767

Post#10 » by Jeffster81 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:33 pm

But why?

Yes, I hate the play in games. Terrible idea.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,522

Post#11 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:49 pm

I love the play in. You get single elimination games right out of the gate. It’s brilliant. But when Silver rolled out the concept, my first thought was to feel sorry for the trash orgs that were sure to chase a play-in berth like it meant something (e.g. Charlotte, Orlando). Life comes at you fast.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,826

Post#12 » by jc23 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:06 pm

I lost interest once the womens NCAA tournament started. It was tough to go back to watching the Bulls after that high.

Hope we can get Ayo and Drummond back; might not need them vs atlanta, but will definitely need them vs miami or philly.
Be curious, Not judgmental
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#13 » by drosestruts » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:22 pm

I think the one game, single-elimination just offers so much variance, chance, and luck to firmly say any team should or should not win a game within the play-in.

I have 0 expectations for what happens in the play-in (games the Bulls play in or not). I do know that all that awaits us is an at-best first round exit vs Boston.

I could see really any combination of outcomes occurring throughout all of the play-in games.

For many, the unpredictability is a feature not a bug. Just makes it difficult to get overly invested.

I want to win these games, but I'm not setting expectations for them.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,299

Post#14 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:44 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:I love the play in. You get single elimination games right out of the gate. It’s brilliant. But when Silver rolled out the concept, my first thought was to feel sorry for the trash orgs that were sure to chase a play-in berth like it means something (e.g. Charlotte, Orlando). Life comes at you fast.

I despise these. It allows weak ownership teams to convince their fans they made the 'playoffs'. Allows some semblance of fake success.

The season feels very differently if the Bulls are 9th and are done playing games. Season is looked at as a failure. Now, it isn't to a certain extent.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,522

Post#15 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:57 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:I love the play in. You get single elimination games right out of the gate. It’s brilliant. But when Silver rolled out the concept, my first thought was to feel sorry for the trash orgs that were sure to chase a play-in berth like it means something (e.g. Charlotte, Orlando). Life comes at you fast.

I despise these. It allows weak ownership teams to convince their fans they made the 'playoffs'. Allows some semblance of fake success.

The season feels very differently if the Bulls are 9th and are done playing games. Season is looked at as a failure. Now, it isn't to a certain extent.

Right, I mostly agree. The play in - or excuse me, the “postseason” - is a pathetic organizational goal.

But then you have situations like this year’s Western Conference where ten teams were legitimately gunning for the playoffs and in most years each would’ve been good enough to qualify. And now we get to see 4 of them face off in do or die games, which I find really exciting.

In truth, only two teams seem to have been content to chase the play-in as an end, and we unfortunately are one of them. I don’t consider that an indictment of the tourney — we just follow a truly garbage org.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#16 » by FriedRise » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:04 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:They win this game, and lose the other play in game. Book it.

I guess anything is possible, but that's probably the likeliest scenario. Philly with Embiid is always a nightmare, though I figure they probably will take care of Miami and secure that 7th seed. If we survive Atlanta, we get to face playoff Jimmy again and I really don't like our chances there.
rosenthall
Senior
And1: 285

Post#17 » by rosenthall » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:14 pm

The play-in has been really successful IMO, and it works for the following reasons:

- It's been a powerful incentive for teams to try harder during the season, which has had a big effect on the quality of the regular season. You can laugh at penny-pinching owners looking for a way to squeeze out extra revenue from the team, but it seems like lots of ownership prefer to try and make it in, and that has a positive effect for the league overall.

- In some cases, like the western conference right now, there is a lot of ambiguity over who the most deserving playoff teams are and the play-in is a meaningful way to distinguish who the deserving participants are.

- One-and-done is just a lot more exciting than a 7 game series most of the time. I can imagine some scenarios, maybe the western conference this year, where the play-in is more enjoyable than the actual playoffs since there are so many interesting teams participating in it.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,273

Post#18 » by kodo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:35 pm

I've always believed the NBA should have a wildcard 1 & done for the 8th seed. I think they took it too far by also making it required for the 7th seed...there's no question that Philly or NOP should be in the playoffs.
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 466

Post#19 » by Mr. Tibbs » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:37 pm

Anyone else struggling with the moral quandary of kinda wanting to get tickets just to watch a bulls game that at least has the appearance of mattering, while realizing that it plays exactly into what Reinsdorf strives for (mediocrity, butts in seats, extra home game revenue)?

Anyway, we probably win this game and either get humbled by Jimmy Butler again or give Embiid a nice momentum boost to enter the playoffs by letting him go off for 40.

And if I do end up going, I'm confident we'll lose this one based off my terrible vibes. The only thing that does get me excited is another chance for Ayo to put Trae Young in hell, assuming he's healthy enough to suit up.
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
greenl
Starter
And1: 1,520

Post#20 » by greenl » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:49 pm

The Bulls are clearly involved in an escalating arms race with their fans: who can care less about the product, the fans or the Bulls management?
"Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children." - Bill Hicks

Return to Chicago Bulls