Image ImageImage Image

GT Play-In #1: Atlanta Hawks @ Chicago Bulls - Wed 4/17 @ 8:30pm CT - ESPN

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,922

Re: GT Play-In #1: Atlanta Hawks @ Chicago Bulls - Wed 4/17 @ 8:30pm CT - ESPN 

Post#421 » by RSP83 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:05 am

I want to like Drummond, but he's such a Shaqtin' a Fool hall of famer with his clumsiness. He almost single-handedly take out our key defensive unit in Craig and Caruso in less than 2 weeks.

On a more positive note Coby bouncing back at the right time. Hawks scrawny backcourt couldn't do anything about him. Coby is a strong buff dude, he reminds me of Demar in how he's able to bull his way to the rim. And defense sort of didn't expect that, they thought he's just a streaky shooter, which he was earlier in his career.

I'm really excited about Ayo, and his career projection. I think he's the unsung hero of this game. Put up 19 quietly and efficiently. Efficiency has been Ayo's thing this year, 50-40-80 on 12 points per game. He's been upping his scoring to 16 points per game since the All-Star break while maintaining the same level of efficiency. Ayo and Coby is what will be keeping me here following this team next season.

I have to say something about Dalen. He's still a work in progress but I like him. I think the kid is smart and have a good feel for the game. And he has a high motor to go along with it. I like that he's being assertive in trying to figure out the game. He make mistakes, but he used to make mistakes a lot earlier/last year, with more games he makes mistakes less and less. And he's not afraid to gamble and stretch his role a bit, and I think he's been having some success with it. If he can improve his shooting to respectable level, I really believe he can have a good career in this league. With a much improved strength on his upper body, his length, and versatility, he reminds me of Thabo Sefolosha. If he can develop shooting like Thabo did, he can help many teams.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,557

Post#422 » by Andi Obst » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:09 am

RSP83 wrote:
Bulliever2020 wrote:I don't care whether the stats count or not. That was Coby's best game of his career. If Jimmy's out I think we're headed to Boston.

I can't trust this team. This is a team who can beat the Wolves comfortably one game, and don't know how to play against the Wizards the next game.

This. And also, the Heat always find a way. Their role players always seem to step up when it matters most. They have the best coach in the league IMO. You just can't underestimate them under any circumstances.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,592

Post#423 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:12 am

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:what else is new? another guy that should've been traded a year ago

bro give it a rest. live in the moment. enjoy something.

I would enjoy it if the Bulls won on a regular basis and were good at basketball. I don't **** care if the are the fourth worst team in the league and somehow make the playoffs because they beat the third worst team. I think it's wrong on the level of the entire sport, I think it's wrong for the Bulls to aspire to it. I think it was fun that I watched the Bulls win in an elimination game tonight, but I think it reflects terribly on the sport and its longterm sustainability.

Why do you not want to watch a good basketball team? Do you enjoy watching your favorite team lose?

Not the OP, but I enjoy watching my favorite team, win or lose, nuch much more than I enjoy reading multiple posts from vortexes of negativity.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,664

Post#424 » by Ice Man » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:26 am

I don't know who couldn't love Coby in God mode. I sure do.

On a different note, I'm willing to bet that the Atlanta Hawks are the worst defensive team in at least 40 years to make any version of an NBA playoff. They conceded 119.6 points per 100 possessions this year, and every game they played, that seemed to be their true defensive inability. Just shocking.

For reference's sake, the 2011 Bulls gave up 100.3 points per 100 possessions. The '96 Bulls were at 101.8. (Note that the 2011 Bulls were slightly better, although hand checking had been banned, and most NBA fans claim that the hand checking ban ruined the ability of teams to defend well. But that is another topic.)
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,131

Post#425 » by NecessaryEvil » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:54 am

Read on Twitter

In an elimination game nonetheless, Coby is big time
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,664

Post#426 » by Ice Man » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:12 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:In an elimination game nonetheless, Coby is big time

Yep. Coby struggled a lot late in the season, which I did not overlook. But a performance like this in an elimination game makes up for a LOT of mediocre regular-season performances. I mean, that was big time.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#427 » by Ben » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:20 pm

Andi Obst wrote:
RSP83 wrote:
Bulliever2020 wrote:I don't care whether the stats count or not. That was Coby's best game of his career. If Jimmy's out I think we're headed to Boston.

I can't trust this team. This is a team who can beat the Wolves comfortably one game, and don't know how to play against the Wizards the next game.

This. And also, the Heat always find a way. Their role players always seem to step up when it matters most. They have the best coach in the league IMO. You just can't underestimate them under any circumstances.

I'm just delighted to see Coby step up so beautifully, and big games from lots of others (against an abysmal Hawks defense). But as you say, the Heat should be very dangerous even without Buckets. He had a pretty bad game last night against the Sixers and the Heat still almost won. That was due to Spo's preparation. Heat played a triangle and 2 zone defense, dared any Sixer except Embiid and Maxey to beat them, and the Heat were up 12 at the half. Finally Nick Nurse adjusted, as he's a much better coach than Doc Rivers, and the Sixers got 6 second-half 3-pointers from an open Nic Batum. Yet the Heat, down 5 with 8 seconds left, still had a chance to win after an terrible off-ball foul call led to an extra FT and some last-second chaos.

So the Heat almost beat the Sixers on the road, with Buckets playing badly and Tyler Herro shooting awfully for most of the game. Granted, Embiid is still off from his injury, but you gotta give Spo all the credit in the world.

With Caruso out, which is a real shame, I could see the Heat playing another type of zone to shut down Coby-- and if so, Bulls are gonna need some more good shooting from the open guys plus good offensive rebounding. :pray:
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,166

Post#428 » by League Circles » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:49 pm

Agreed that the Hawks are bad, especially Trae Young (one of the more overrated players this century), and that we certainly can't overlook the Heat, who can always compete. But this feels good!
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,665

Post#429 » by sco » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:56 pm

We won formulaicly for us. Shooting over 36% from 3, winning RB's and keeping TO's < 14. We tend to thrive against teams with lesser rim protection. Despite the foot injury, I fully expect to see AC out there (and Butler too) because that's just who he (they) are. That said, kudos to AK for buying AC insurance by bringing back a healthy Green.

Coby attacked all night (Credit to Demar for telling Coby not to defer to start the game), and had his way in the paint.

Demar's efficiency was needed.

Vuc was needed to counter offensively his own matador defense against Capella.

Ayo's return was needed to help defend the ATL duo and provide efficient scoring.

Drummond (despite injuring Caruso accidently - fluky thing I don't blame him) is key for us.

Terry added enough defensively to offset his offensive inefficiency, but to his credit he's really cut down on dumb plays.
:clap:
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#430 » by HearshotKDS » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:41 pm

LOL when was the last time we had a 20+ page game thread/"new-fangled" combined game+post game thread?
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,327

Post#431 » by Stratmaster » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:47 pm

Red8911 wrote:
JimmyButler21 wrote:
SHO'NUFF wrote:I honestly want this to end tonight.

I'm rooting hard for the 76ers just because I know they'll beat the Hawks (they're ready for Cancun) and Philly will end this on Friday. Don't want another week of this.

If you guys don’t want your favorite team to win then what’s the point of following, watching the games or even commenting on a bulls board ? Might as well do something else with your lives.
I was thinking the exact same thing as I read the comments. There is a simple solution of that's the way they feel... don't watch. Don't talk about them. Etc...

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#432 » by Stratmaster » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:02 pm

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:ez regular season win.

why do these athletes always thank jesus? did god just forsake all of us because we're not 6 foot 8 and can jump 4 feet in the air? god damn you, god! I'm certain that athletes think that God blessed them with athleticism so they could sell nIke shoes in His name.
Didn't you know? Jesus hates the Hawks and loves whatever team Coby is on.

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,384

Post#433 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:05 pm

Andi Obst wrote:One thing needs to be clear for the Miami game: whether Jimmy plays or not, the Heat are a serious basketball team. The Hawks aren't. This was a great win, a Coby White masterclass, but playing against the Heat will be completely different. I'm excited for the game, though. Everybody in here should be. Hate the direction of the franchise all you want, but the players deserve so much love and respect for the way they've come back from that terrible start. And yes, Billy Donovan deserves respect as well.

I feel the bolded part a lot.

There's plenty of threads here for us to criticize and discuss the direction the front office has taken this team.

But the players themselves are battling.

Young guys are stepping up - Coby, Ayo, hell Terry was a huge positive last night.

DeRozan led the league in minutes.

You know Coby, Ayo, Caruso, and Drummond are all playing through various bumps and bruises based on recent games missed.

We had 10 players dressed last night. We were down to 9 healthy players once Caruso left.

The players battled and showed up throughout the season. Yes their were some let downs (hello detroit and Washington games).

These players have my respect and I'm happy to root for them. Seeing a big win fueled by guys like Coby and Ayo is exciting.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#434 » by Stratmaster » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:06 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
bro give it a rest. live in the moment. enjoy something.

I would enjoy it if the Bulls won on a regular basis and were good at basketball. I don't **** care if the are the fourth worst team in the league and somehow make the playoffs because they beat the third worst team. I think it's wrong on the level of the entire sport, I think it's wrong for the Bulls to aspire to it. I think it was fun that I watched the Bulls win in an elimination game tonight, but I think it reflects terribly on the sport and its longterm sustainability.

Why do you not want to watch a good basketball team? Do you enjoy watching your favorite team lose?

Not the OP, but I enjoy watching my favorite team, win or lose, nuch much more than I enjoy reading multiple posts from vortexes of negativity.
Amen

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#435 » by Stratmaster » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:12 pm

Amazing game from Coby. I said that the Bulls' success in the play-ins (and hopefully the playoffs) was highly dependent on whether we get hot Coby or bad Coby. Let's hope this is the start of a hot streak for him. When his game is on the Bulls are a pretty good team.

Billy is still an idiot. Let the Hawks go on 2 big runs without calling a timeout (something I thought he had finally figured out) . Ridiculous early challenge in a play-in game. Playing the starters too long.

But the Bulls were simply the better team. Let's go take one from the Heat.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#436 » by Stratmaster » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:14 pm

Key stat. Only 7 turnovers...for the entire team. Trae had 6 on his own.

Only fair to mention, the Hawks only had 9 total.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#437 » by Stratmaster » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:17 pm

2nd key stat...and kind of scary. Every player on the Bulls who took a shot, shot at least 50% from the field. Overall 56.8% as a team.

Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 745

Post#438 » by Charlesareed » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:40 pm

ImSlower wrote:Happy for the win and Coby's great game. Hell ya.

Would have been shocked if you'd told me six hours ago that Drummond blocking his own teammate's shot last week was going to be only the second most bone-headed play of his April. I've watched the clip about 30 times now and Drummond seems to be looking right at Caruso as he bowls him over. I just can't figure out what his brain wanted his body to do at that moment.

I kept rewatching it trying to figure out what happened
Chicago Raised me
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,700

Post#439 » by DuckIII » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:40 pm

Indomitable wrote:
kodo wrote:Miami without Butler, definitely do-able.

The Bulls always let you down in these situations

It was one of the worst trades ever the moment it happened. Trae Young is a fool’s gold scrub and always has been. People just got distracted by shiny things.

My favorite thing about the game was the way the Bulls played. Coby looked like a bona fide superstar in this one, but the whole team brought it.

But my second favorite thing was Trae Young revealing who he is as a player with his comically useless defense and failed flops.

Maybe Bulls fans who watched this game will finally realize Murray is the guy you want from Atlanta. Unfortunately it’s too late because no doubt Atlanta has finally figured this out as well. Fortunately for them some idiot owner will still give up a good haul for Trae Young because they think he’ll sell tickets.

I wouldn’t trade Jevon Carter for him unless he’d accept Carter’s salary and minutes. And even then I probably wouldn’t do it because in addition to the basketball part he’s also got a terrible record with teammates and coaches.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#440 » by FriedRise » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:40 pm

Stratmaster wrote:2nd key stat...and kind of scary. Every player on the Bulls who took a shot, shot at least 50% from the field. Overall 56.8% as a team.

I guess that's what happens when you can take your pick attacking Trae, Murray, Bog, Capela, Matthews, or Fernando. I saw Coby cook so many of their players - either 1 on 1 or multiple of them on a single drive. It's crazy lol. Ayo and DeMar blew a few layups early in the game too that I thought they should've easily made.

I don't understand how Boston lost to these guys TWICE back to back.

Return to Chicago Bulls