Image ImageImage Image

Your offseason plans for the Bulls

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,115

Re: Your offseason plans for the Bulls 

Post#121 » by MrSparkle » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:02 pm

#1 Draft Ja’Kobe, or some fella who could *shoot*, defend and handle.

#2. Extend Demar. No more than 2y- try to shoot for that $35m mark. Yeah, dunno what else to do but the logical course is keeping the best player.

#3. Sign Nets’ Claxton. He’s a UFA. Obviously we’re over the cap, so you have to S&T. Float the idea of Vuc and Jevon.

#4. Inquire about Cameron Johnson. Maybe just swap him for Zach. We’d get over $20m in cap relief if BRK agrees. (Of course Vuc and him wouldn’t be wise to pair, so Nets could flip one and involved a 3rd team)

#5 Let Pat find an offer, but shoot for a 40/3 (at most) extension if none comes.

#6 Try to waive Lonzo with the retirement/medical exemption. This dude isn’t going to play NBA basketball in 5 months.

Coby Walter
Caruso Bitim
Ayo Craig Terry
Demar Pat Phillips
Claxton Sanogo
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#122 » by patryk7754 » Wed May 1, 2024 12:17 am

Bulls should have a two part plan

Part 1: tank for cooper Flagg
Part 2: solely focus on acquiring assets in preparation for the inevitable Anthony Edwards trade
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,795

Post#123 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed May 1, 2024 6:43 am

patryk7754 wrote:Bulls should have a two part plan

Part 2: solely focus on acquiring assets in preparation for the inevitable Anthony Edwards trade

Why is an Anthony Edwards trade inevitable? Minnesota is set up great and winning. All star players don’t automatically flock to the “cool” markets.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,557

Post#124 » by Andi Obst » Wed May 1, 2024 9:54 am

MrSparkle wrote:#3. Sign Nets’ Claxton. He’s a UFA. Obviously we’re over the cap, so you have to S&T. Float the idea of Vuc and Jevon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Nets will be all over that one for sure!
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#125 » by MrSparkle » Wed May 1, 2024 10:48 am

Andi Obst wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:#3. Sign Nets’ Claxton. He’s a UFA. Obviously we’re over the cap, so you have to S&T. Float the idea of Vuc and Jevon.

Nets don’t have his restricted rights. Not really up to them.
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 466

Post#126 » by step » Wed May 1, 2024 11:13 am

MrSparkle wrote:
Andi Obst wrote:

What else are you compensating them with? They'd sooner let Claxton go than be saddled with Vuc for 2 years and pay the tax for him.

And you want to do a S&T for Claxton at ~$26.5M dollars (+- whatever the percentages allow in that instance)?
ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 830

Post#127 » by ChiefILL53 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:03 pm

Quite frankly I hope for their own sake, Demar decides winning at this point in his career is more important than being in chicago. I love Demar and what he's been for the team, but tbh, 40per is not that crazy with respect of the contracts today being given to players with his production and even age. However, if theyre serious about making changes because they realize they cant keep running this team back, it has to start with demar walking. There's talent available this offseason, get creative and go get some.
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,384

Post#128 » by drosestruts » Wed May 1, 2024 4:03 pm

From what I can tell based on the information we have available the Bulls plan seems to boil down to:

1. Re-signing DeRozan
2. Trading away Zach

Whether I agree with this or not is kind of irrelevant to the plans and ideas I may look to build to support such a team.

Free agency:

Re-sign DeRozan to whatever that takes I guess

Re-sign Williams

Trades - think we could be in for a decent amount of trades

LaVine to Detroit for James Wiseman (Sign and trade), 2026 1st, and lots of cap space - Bulls clear room under the tax, add a young center prospect, and add a future pick

Vucevic, Carter, and the PDX pick to Washington for Richaun Holmes and Marvin Bagley - Bulls swap Vuc for expiring depth at the cost of a maybe future pick

Dosunmu to Miami for Jamie Jaquez Jr and Nikola Jovic - No one cashes in on players more timely than Miami. Good years for JJJ and Jovic see them packaged up for a piece Miami has been missing - a point guard that can defend, distribute, and score efficiently.

Draft

I'm still a Tyler Smith guys so let's go with that as a 4/small-ball 5

Bulls:

White/Ball
Caruso/Terry/Bitim
DeRozan/Jaquez/Phillps
Williams/Jovic/Smith
Wiseman/Smith/Holmes/Bagley

The 4-man unit of White-Caruso-DeRozan-Williams was +2 this season

Can't find that 4-man group for 2022-23 but a close comparison is White-Ayo-DeRozan-Williams being a +8

Is Wiseman trash or is he just young and still finding his way - the Bulls make a move to find out I guess. Warts and all I have a hard time imagining I dislike watching someone more than Vuc.

Could be in line for decent cap space in 2025 with the expiring contracts of Ball-Caruso-Homles-Bagley

Or in line to make a big in-season trade using those expirings and picks

Am I overly excited about the above team - I don't know, there's a lot of "if's" - but trying to see what I could build within the construct of keeping DeRozan and trading LaVine that makes any sort of sense.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#129 » by patryk7754 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:17 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:Bulls should have a two part plan

Why is an Anthony Edwards trade inevitable? Minnesota is set up great and winning. All star players don’t automatically flock to the “cool” markets.

It was mostly just a silly post m, you shouldn’t take it too seriously. Just like there’s basically a zero percent chance we tank next season. But chances are there will be significant trade rumors about Edwards considering that’s what happens nowadays. Especially if in 5 years they don’t win a ring, which is very possible.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,954
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#130 » by MalagaBulls » Wed May 1, 2024 4:41 pm

Haven't posted Bulls talk in so long, it's just not worth the effort with AKME running things. I would not expect anything other than the usual sh**show production we have become used to. He may or may not trade Lavine but will probably re-up Demar & PWill and run it back claiming the great off season will be ushered in with Lonzo's return.

That's all I got and frankly, it's not much to cheer about.

Enviado desde mi SM-T510 mediante Tapatalk
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#131 » by MGB8 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:08 pm

I agree with the majority who want to blow it up, and also agree that it is unlikely to happen with this management.

The best non-blow it option, to me, would be to attempt to “build around” the aging, not top 20 player DeRozan, as he does have flashes where he looks like a top 20 player.

You resign him to 3/105 (he won’t get anything near that from anyone else, but he may take the MLE if he does not feel “respected”).

Then, to maximize him, he needs to be surrounded by a primary ball handler and 3&D or 3&D+ type players. That includes at the C spot, so Vuc has to go. The question is whether you could get back anything useful from him, or even be able to do a straight cap dump for space. If you would have to attach assets, then it’s a non-starter, and speaks volumes to AKME’s incompetence. Traded away 2 very lightly protected firsts for a guy you have to pay teams to take from you…

LaVine, otoh, I believe you could get more value for in the middle of the season, so I’d see if I could get him to play a 3&D+ role. If can’t, get what you can for him - looking for a mobile defensive center who can shoot decently from 3 and/or a guy who is a starting level lead ball handler who can defend and hit the 3 enough, even if not dynamic offensively.

What we are likely to get is pretty much continuity with a LaVine dump for non-value in there, so we can be a borderline play-in team getting a bit worse each season until, rather than being forced to tank, we naturally tank as the league laughingstock that AKME made the Bulls into.

We can be the Wizards next year, which sucks but is what it is. Or we can be the Wizards 2 or 3 years from now, after flailing about pretending that the inevitable isn’t inevitable. Binary choice.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,557

Post#132 » by Andi Obst » Wed May 1, 2024 5:17 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
Andi Obst wrote:

Just letting Claxton go for nothing is much better for the Nets than this deal. You can't force them to take negative value.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
cubd8
Bench Warmer
And1: 58

Post#133 » by cubd8 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:44 pm

Are the Bulls expected to give DeRozan a 3 year deal? Why wouldn't they stick with a 2 year since it lines up with Vuc's deal?

Don't the Bulls have to be willing to let DeRozan walk (or sign and trade) if he's able to get a 3 year deal elsewhere?

I am not comfortable signing him for more than 1 year, but realize if you want him, there would need to be some compromise.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#134 » by MrSparkle » Wed May 1, 2024 5:50 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:Haven't posted Bulls talk in so long, it's just not worth the effort with AKME running things. I would not expect anything other than the usual sh**show production we have become used to. He may or may not trade Lavine but will probably re-up Demar & PWill and run it back claiming the great off season will be ushered in with Lonzo's return.

That's all I got and frankly, it's not much to cheer about.

Enviado desde mi SM-T510 mediante Tapatalk

Come on though- that Lebron FA buzz is gonna be strong though. :lol: Bulls almost got him under market value, for that 40yo retirement campaign!
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,445

Post#135 » by jnrjr79 » Wed May 1, 2024 7:41 pm

cubd8 wrote:Are the Bulls expected to give DeRozan a 3 year deal? Why wouldn't they stick with a 2 year since it lines up with Vuc's deal?

Don't the Bulls have to be willing to let DeRozan walk (or sign and trade) if he's able to get a 3 year deal elsewhere?

I am not comfortable signing him for more than 1 year, but realize if you want him, there would need to be some compromise.

The Bulls' desire to give him a 2-year deal and DeMar's desire for a 3-year deal seems to be the biggest sticking point in negotiations. I'm not sure the Bulls are "expected" to do anything specific yet.
bullskokie
Senior
And1: 242

Post#136 » by bullskokie » Wed May 1, 2024 8:03 pm

The only thing I ask is… Let Jevon Carter go!
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,795

Post#137 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed May 1, 2024 8:06 pm

ChiefILL53 wrote:Quite frankly I hope for their own sake, Demar decides winning at this point in his career is more important than being in chicago. I love Demar and what he's been for the team, but tbh, 40per is not that crazy with respect of the contracts today being given to players with his production and even age. However, if theyre serious about making changes because they realize they cant keep running this team back, it has to start with demar walking. There's talent available this offseason, get creative and go get some.

I hope Philly offers him a big deal. They could really use him as a 3rd option.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,667

Post#138 » by Ice Man » Wed May 1, 2024 8:39 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:I hope Philly offers him a big deal. They could really use him as a 3rd option.

Wow, I just looked. Everybody is rolling off Philly's books! The Sixers have Embiid at $51 million and a $13 million cap hit for Maxey, and that's about it. Will be interesting to see what Philly looks like entering next year. I'm assuming that the cast will change a lot.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#139 » by MrSparkle » Wed May 1, 2024 8:51 pm

Andi Obst wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
Andi Obst wrote:

Just letting Claxton go for nothing is much better for the Nets than this deal. You can't force them to take negative value.

I don't think that's true at all. They're over the cap, they owe their picks, and a near expiring contract on a good locker-room guy who has some skills (and probably should be coming off the bench) has more value than losing their starting center.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#140 » by MrSparkle » Wed May 1, 2024 8:53 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
ChiefILL53 wrote:Quite frankly I hope for their own sake, Demar decides winning at this point in his career is more important than being in chicago. I love Demar and what he's been for the team, but tbh, 40per is not that crazy with respect of the contracts today being given to players with his production and even age. However, if theyre serious about making changes because they realize they cant keep running this team back, it has to start with demar walking. There's talent available this offseason, get creative and go get some.

I hope Philly offers him a big deal. They could really use him as a 3rd option.

Well, I definitely think Morey understands Embiid's health (based on his history) is a ticking time bomb, and he wants to go for it while that window's alive. I think Lebron, George and Siakam are gonna see a strong pitch.

Return to Chicago Bulls