Image ImageImage Image

AK end of season press conference?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,112

Re: AK end of season press conference? 

Post#101 » by MrSparkle » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:16 pm

I’m hoping Vuc’s lack of mention (“double double machine”) is a big hint he’s not happy at all with his season, and likely looking to move on from that part, asap.

Honestly, Caruso is such a strong defender and glue guy, but having him switch onto PFs makes no sense. They need to sell high on him before the contract expires.

He’s gonna have a hard off-season. But by losing this play-in, he caught a few breaks. Bulls probably draft 11-12, but give themselves a reasonable shot at top-4. Even in a crap draft, it’s much better having 11 than 15, even from a trade up/down angle.

He’ll have to get creative to dump Vuc. I’ll be pretty disgusted if Vuc is the last man standing, though that’s likely what happens.

I think the S&T strategy will be his go to weapon, but there are certain limitations. He made it sound like Mitchell and George (lofty FA) are going to be pursued. Dunno with what, but I could see him begging Reinsdorf to OK the movement of many future FRPs.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,267

Post#102 » by Dan Z » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:08 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Dan Z wrote:For a long time I've been hoping that AK moves in a new direction because he realizes that what he's doing isn't working(I know he said that the other day, but Im not sure if he really believes it). Now I think the team won't go anywhere until he's gone and the team has a new front office.

How can anyone be a GM and not plan for the future? If its all "win now" moves done season by season that won't work unless you already have a solid foundation in place.

My guess is that he just doesn't want to undergo a rebuild, because while ownership says he "can" rebuild, perhaps their requirements on turnaround time aren't really feasible. Ie, we'll let you rebuild, but you only get one gap year. That's probably not enough time to rebuild and survive unless you get insanely lucky.

He probably knows if he goes for a rebuild he won't survive it. That said, he won't survive what he's doing now either. He's just not the dude, plain and simple.

Ownership has been a problem for a long time. Unfortunately I don't see that changing any time soon.

I bet you're right about the situation AK is in but I'd rather he make a move where he goes "down swinging" than continue on the same road to nowhere.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,701

Post#103 » by DuckIII » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:18 pm

Dan Z wrote:
I bet you're right about the situation AK is in but I'd rather he make a move where he goes "down swinging" than continue on the same road to nowhere.

To me the most terrifying prospect this summer is that AK will try to “go down swinging.” Why? Because the only plus value trade assets we have are Coby, Ayo, Pat to a mush lesser extent, and first round picks. Those are the assets he will have to trade, in some combination, to take a big swing.

It’s the absolute worst case scenario in my book unless something completely unheard of happens like a young legitimate franchise player demands a trade.

Or his big swing is Lavine for Trae, which almost feels like destiny at this point and would be nearly as bad.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,303

Post#104 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:42 pm

Not that anyone here really cares, but I owe AK a great deal. AK has removed my insane, fanatical passion of the team. It’s gone, and not coming back. I’d watch every game, then rewatch highlights of every game during the GarPax era. They were masters of convincing us “there is room to grow”. They’d have young players, preach “future flexibility”, and I bought into it. Of course all that was a load of garbage, but I was under a spell.

It’s gone now. Maybe watched 1 game this year? Even if they get actually good (and not pretend good), I’ll watch them as a casual fan more than anything. Hopefully.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
boozapalooza
Rookie
And1: 657

Post#105 » by boozapalooza » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:54 pm

dawhizz wrote:Seems to be going on now

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=cLrE-3h2uw3rACxhQZYEvg

My question for AK is why was this obvious now and not last offseason. We completely wasted this year and derailed our situation with Zach. Just a complete front office disaster and disgraceful team management.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,267

Post#106 » by Dan Z » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:07 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

To me the most terrifying prospect this summer is that AK will try to “go down swinging.” Why? Because the only plus value trade assets we have are Coby, Ayo, Pat to a mush lesser extent, and first round picks. Those are the assets he will have to trade, in some combination, to take a big swing.

It’s the absolute worst case scenario in my book unless something completely unheard of happens like a young legitimate franchise player demands a trade.

Or his big swing is Lavine for Trae, which almost feels like destiny at this point and would be nearly as bad.

I meant moving in a new direction (rebuilding), but you're right...AKs big move will most likely be what you've said above. Yikes!
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,283

Post#107 » by prolific passer » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:08 pm

What role player will ak bring in to help the team this time?
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#108 » by HearshotKDS » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:16 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

It obvious but "get creative" better not involve future 1sts to try and do an on the fly pivot/semi-retool of a Vuc+Demar core team.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,884

Post#109 » by TheSuzerain » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:26 pm

dougthonus wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Which is extremely easy to interpret as scapegoating Zach, which removes all significance from the comment. Despite his statements about knowing it doesn’t work and changes need to be made, it’s extremely easy to interpret everything he said as meaning “Zach doesn’t work with this group and we think we can trade him for win now assets that will get us to the 6th seed.”

I.e., the plan is to fix the first 19 games of the season, not the rest of it.

I agree. If you didn't see, KC put out 2/80 for DeMar to align his salary with everyone else.

It looks to me like the plan is roughly:

1: Bring back Pat/DeMar
2: Have most salaries align to end in 2 years
3: Move Zach for role players / salary relief / whatever you can get
4: Free up money somehow to do the above and fit it under the tax, reasonable possibilities:
- Move Carter into someone's cap room / TPE
- Waive stretch Lonzo
- Save money in a Zach trade

Effectively, if I were a betting man, I'd say the roster next year is:
Guards: Coby, Ayo, Lonzo, Carter
Wings: DeMar, Caruso, Terry
Forwards: Pat, Philips, vet min guys
C: Vuc, vet min guys

Somewhere in there fits our draft pick, certainly possible that Craig, Drummond, Javonte could be in that vet min group again or that we swap them for different dudes.

This plan does not seem possible if we're staying under lux tax
Mindcrime
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#110 » by Mindcrime » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:32 pm

prolific passer wrote:What role player will ak bring in to help the team this time?

We would just trade Lavine for Ben Simmons and call it a day.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Post#111 » by Ctownbulls » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:05 pm

"It's obvious we can't roll out the same team as before so we are prioritizing resigning DeMar and Patrick"

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,806

Post#112 » by dougthonus » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:38 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:This plan does not seem possible if we're staying under lux tax

Maybe, maybe not. I put in a line there about clearing salary, may need to save money in a Zach trade or move Carter into cap room or make some other moves to fit it under, it's definitely not going to be easy to fit everything in their cap room.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,954
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#113 » by MalagaBulls » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:04 pm

Whoa, AK in the house!

Read on Twitter
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,283

Post#114 » by prolific passer » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:49 pm

Bulls will enhance on the c&c. Continuity and competitive.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,698

Post#115 » by SfBull » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:55 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
Oh, for sure. It’ll probably be trying to get win-now big names in a feckless attempt to be in the playoffs next year.

I'm not sure if any big names are even available to "try" to get.

I remember last off season when AK said something to the effect of "Wait until after free agency". Then he signed Carter and Craig. I expect something similar (minor moves), but hopefully he'll surprise me.

I guess I’m thinking more in terms of trades. As Duck was noting in the other thread, a Zach for Trae Young trade would be pretty darned on-brand.

Bringing Trae Young when we have Coby and Ayo for pg?
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#116 » by SfBull » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:35 pm

HomoSapien wrote:For those unable to watch, he was asked specifically about whether DeRozan and LaVine would be brought back. He initially just answered vaguely about needing to improve the roster without naming any names. He was then pressed again specifically about DeRozan and LaVine. He answered that with DeRozan, both sides are interested in making it work but ignored the LaVine side of the question.

Lavine will likely be traded the question being what we'll get in return.A big man who could defend would be a good one
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#117 » by SfBull » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:37 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
umfan83 wrote:
Is the bold something that AK said?

The bold isn’t a direct quote, but all that was said or implied in so many words. With the coaching staff he meant the assistants, not BD.

Yeah, he gave a lengthy endorsement of BD, but was non-committal on the rest of the staff.

Watching the Presser seems clear he'll go for trades.
"Everything is on the Table"
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,701

Post#118 » by DuckIII » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:55 am

TheSuzerain wrote:Lol just watched it.

A leader who just gave that press conference should have been relieved of their duties already.

His hoodie was dope though. I want one.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,774

Post#119 » by Jeffster81 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:29 am

DuckIII wrote:To me the most terrifying prospect this summer is that AK will try to “go down swinging.” Why? Because the only plus value trade assets we have are Coby, Ayo, Pat to a mush lesser extent, and first round picks. Those are the assets he will have to trade, in some combination, to take a big swing.

That is what I am afraid off.

My only plan is to see the Meh 3 all gone this off-season and hopefully gets some decent assets back.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#120 » by SfBull » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:31 am

kodo wrote:I expect the "different team" to be just trading Lavine for a roleplayer and bringing everyone else back.
And signing Javonte.

The only real way to fundamentally change the team is rebuild young (superstar FAs like Lebron aren't going to sign here), and he won't. He said he never wants to draft high. He doesn't believe in the OKC, Philly, Boston models.

The reality is that the Denver gameplan of never drafting high & never getting a star FA was a stupid way to compete. They just got historically lucky with drafting a top 10 player in history in the 2nd round. Like getting financial advice from a guy who won the lottery.

More stupid was Reinsdorf's choice of AK believing in Denver's plan.

Return to Chicago Bulls