Image ImageImage Image

AK end of season press conference?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,698

Re: AK end of season press conference? 

Post#121 » by SfBull » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:34 am

Chi town wrote:So 2/80 is already the number floated out for DDR.

Who the hell would pay him that outside of delusional AK???

I don’t think DDR gets even 25m per on the open market because he’s 35, doesn’t shoot 3s and doesn’t play D.

Best thing at could happen is PG goes to PHI and LAC signs DDR because he will actually play unlike Kawhi and PG

2/80?For DeMar?
Seriously????
dukeespn
Senior
And1: 506

Post#122 » by dukeespn » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:59 am

SfBull wrote:
Chi town wrote:So 2/80 is already the number floated out for DDR.

Who the hell would pay him that outside of delusional AK???

I don’t think DDR gets even 25m per on the open market because he’s 35, doesn’t shoot 3s and doesn’t play D.

Best thing at could happen is PG goes to PHI and LAC signs DDR because he will actually play unlike Kawhi and PG

2/80?For DeMar?
Seriously????

Yep 2/80. Typical delusional AKMEish moves.

KC Johnson reported that the Bulls offered Demar 2/80 recently.
chitowndish
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#123 » by chitowndish » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:52 am

That Steve Noh article captures it perfectly and I also love the Applebees of the NBA comment. He's right though the Bulls don't care about die hard fans and I think they probably rather have the die hard fans leave after the billboard. We put pressure on them to perform and they don't like that. They would just rather continue making steady money off of casuals with no pressure and just stay competitive. This sucks but I've come to terms with it and it is just better putting energy into other things.

I also feel kind of insulted with the obviously you can't just put the same team out there and expect a different result line. When you put this together with what I said in the prior paragraph though it makes sense, they don't want die hard fans that know that putting the same team out there expecting different results is most of what AK has done here. They want casual fans that listen to whatever he is saying and think that seems like a reasonable thing to say. The change in what he's saying is interesting but he doesn't have a lot of avenues to do anything positive at this point.

I think the interesting nugget is he doesn't seem to have any support for Vuc along with Zach I think the bombing 3's thing with that horrible percentage may have put Vuc in the crosshairs. There aren't a lot of avenues to really improve the team but replacing Vuc with a defensive mobile big that can hopefully shoot is probably the easiest way to improve the team and he can try and do that with our draft pick and Drummond. We know the target it sounds like the play in isn't enough so he's really just trying to get to 6 seed.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#124 » by SfBull » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:03 pm

Muzbar wrote:So I just watched the press conference.

So, at what point in the game did AK write his pre-press conference speech? Did he write it or was it written for him?

Changes need to be made, but they also want to bring back DDR and Pat and won't go into the luxury tax unless they're a top 4 team. Colour me intrigued how this is going to play out.

He definitely dodged questioning about LaVine, never mentioned him once, nor did he mention Vucevic. They're pretty hamstrung with all the salaries they have and the quality of players attached to them, only way I can see them staying under the tax and keeping Pat and DDR is making a trade for Chris Paul, his contract is un-guaranteed if released (guarantee date is just after the draft).

Billy will be back (dammit Kentucky), but I knew that, because it's not actually AKME, it's AKMEBD.

They were creative at the beginning of their tenure with the acquisitions of Lonzo, Caruso and DDR, but the results have been underwhelming at best.

I guess I'll watch the draft again this year (probably when they start to make some moves), but I'm not going to get too excited.

He said he would be aggressive like he was before .
Postseason will be interesting.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,127

Post#125 » by MrSparkle » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:47 pm

I do actually think Chicago can be a FA player (obviously, with a LOT of trade movement). It would have to be a S&T of course.

So the big FAs are:

Lebron
Tobias
George
Harden
Siakam
Klay

Mostly 30 or older (40 in Lebron’s case), FWIW… these guys are probably reasonable/affordable/value targets:

D’Lo
Buddy
Trent Jr
Fultz
Tyus
Valanciunas

Regardless, I don’t think it hurts to think outside the box. With their age and injuries, the NBA Live boys (PG/LBJ/Harden/Klay) have got to be off the table. It’d be very stupid investing in any of them.

Whatever the case, this team needs 3P shooting, and they need to stop beating the bush. If they absurdly want to continue trying to win with Demar as the #1, then atleast give our eyes relief and target some 3P shooters (Buddy, Trent) and ballhandlers (Fultz, Tyus - if cheap). A Pascal is not gonna help that particular problem.

I’ve got a rough feeling they wait 1 more year to wait for Vuc to find his shot. (IMO: It’s not gonna happen. He’s shaken toast).
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,678

Post#126 » by Ice Man » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:10 pm

MrSparkle wrote:I do actually think Chicago can be a FA player (obviously, with a LOT of trade movement). It would have to be a S&T of course.

So the big FAs are:

Lebron
Tobias
George
Harden
Siakam
Klay

Let's see -

1) Tied for the best player on a #7 seed
2) The 3rd best player (maybe) on two-man team
3) Second or third best player on a #4 seed
4) See above
5) The 2nd best player on a #6 seed, albeit only part of the year
6) Entirely washed

With 5 of the 6 being distinctly approaching their sell-by date.

Yikes! Thank you very much but no, aside from Siakam.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,360

Post#127 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:13 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
Whatever the case, this team needs 3P shooting, and they need to stop beating the bush. If they absurdly want to continue trying to win with Demar as the #1, then atleast give our eyes relief and target some 3P shooters (Buddy, Trent) and ballhandlers (Fultz, Tyus - if cheap). A Pascal is not gonna help that particular problem.

Honestly its not as simple as that.

Ok put it this way. This season we have basically 3 guys that shot 40% from 3. On top of that Coby, Ayo, Caruso too a career best in attempts and percentage.

We still ranked 27 in 3s made and 26th in attempts.

So why is that? Its because we fundamentally do not make 3s a #1 priority. Take that verses the Celtics where they rank #1 in makes and attempts. Its their first, second and third option to take the 3. They have about 4 players that only take 3s.

We have to fundamentally change the way we play. Not no stupid Stacey King play inside crap. This isn't the 90s and the game is different. You basically have to have an unstoppable inside game to counteract that like Denver. Vooch is no Jokic.

This is why getting a Carter and Craig did nothing for our 3ptrs. Even though stat wise they are considered good 3pt shooters, it didnt make a dent in our bottom line.

Now if we got back a prime Lonzo, then thing could fundamentally change but that's a longshot.
The Cult of Personality
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,678

Post#128 » by Ice Man » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:22 pm

To follow up on Da's point, the top 8 teams in made 3 pointers this season all made the playoffs, except for Atlanta, because while its offense is OK it doesn't defend a lick. Meanwhile, none of the bottom 10 teams in made 3s made the playoffs except for Denver and Orlando. Denver succeeded because you get to make your own offensive rules if you have Jokic. Orlando, admittedly, I cannot explain.

It's a strong trend, though. Make 3s or die.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,387

Post#129 » by drosestruts » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:40 pm

I don't really get this narrative of them abandoning the die-hard fans - like what does that mean?

The Bulls aren't judged by how many posts they get on realgm??

If we won 14 games but had young roster like Detroit is that better for die hards? Who on Detroit is a contender for Most Improved Player?

will be curious to see what we do - his post-season conference sound bites have not matched his actions taken in the past.

Team I'd keep an eye on - Detroit, Golden State, and Philly.

These teams showed interest in Bulls players at times the past year. Much like with Lonzo - the front office seems to re-visit players they weren't able to acquire in-season again in the offseason.

Hopefully there's a market for Vuc - i'd like to not watch him play basketball regularly next year.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#130 » by madvillian » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:51 pm

Ice Man wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:I do actually think Chicago can be a FA player (obviously, with a LOT of trade movement). It would have to be a S&T of course.

So the big FAs are:

Lebron
Tobias
George
Harden
Siakam
Klay

Let's see -

1) Tied for the best player on a #7 seed
2) The 3rd best player (maybe) on two-man team
3) Second or third best player on a #4 seed
4) See above
5) The 2nd best player on a #6 seed, albeit only part of the year
6) Entirely washed

With 5 of the 6 being distinctly approaching their sell-by date.

Yikes! Thank you very much but no, aside from Siakam.

I was discussing this some in an NBA group chat with my buds and the consensus was yea, it's a horrible FA class. The fact Tobias Harris came up as a "big" one in that chat and on this board is telling.

We'd be smart to keep our powder dry and clear Demar off the books imo. See how the lotto unfolds and go from there. There might be trade partners later in the summer that don't appear until after some dust has settled.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#131 » by MrSparkle » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:11 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:

Ok put it this way. This season we have basically 3 guys that shot 40% from 3. On top of that Coby, Ayo, Caruso too a career best in attempts and percentage.

So why is that? Its because we fundamentally do not make 3s a #1 priority. Take that verses the Celtics where they rank #1 in makes and attempts. Its their first, second and third option to take the 3. They have about 4 players that only take 3s.

We have to fundamentally change the way we play. Not no stupid Stacey King play inside crap. This isn't the 90s and the game is different. You basically have to have an unstoppable inside game to counteract that like Denver. Vooch is no Jokic.

This is why getting a Carter and Craig did nothing for our 3ptrs. Even though stat wise they are considered good 3pt shooters, it didnt make a dent in our bottom line.

Now if we got back a prime Lonzo, then thing could fundamentally change but that's a longshot.

They’re not actually good 3P shooters, though. They need wide open space. Actually Jevon can shoot, but it’s hard to come up with consistency when your minutes are drifting between DNP and 15 mpg. Guards just need steady looks to get in a rhythm. But regardless, he had a brutal year.

I’m stalking about Strus/Duncan/Herro/Buddy types. Fellas who get scouted for their 3P shooting, attract defensive attention and hands, and still bury close to 40% on high volume. Also come up with timely shots under pressure. Korver, Redick, LAVINE (the biggest hit “losing him”). I mean, geez - Matt Thomas and Dragic were incredible for us in their extremely limited minutes.

Vuc nuked our spacing the most. 29% on high volume is a huge negative. His TS this year was in Westbrook land. To suggest the solution is running more offense through this guy in the post is borderline ludicrous (Stacey). Then he also brings nothing on the offensive glass, which is another helpful piece for volume 3P shooting.

I’m dreading the next brick layer we may draft (Collier, Holland, Castle, etc.). I also could see Knecht playing 0 minutes for Billy. Might need to get Ja’Kobe contrary to needs, on the off chance he can become a primary ballhandler.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,047

Post#132 » by Chi town » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:38 pm

SfBull wrote:
Muzbar wrote:So I just watched the press conference.

So, at what point in the game did AK write his pre-press conference speech? Did he write it or was it written for him?

Changes need to be made, but they also want to bring back DDR and Pat and won't go into the luxury tax unless they're a top 4 team. Colour me intrigued how this is going to play out.

He definitely dodged questioning about LaVine, never mentioned him once, nor did he mention Vucevic. They're pretty hamstrung with all the salaries they have and the quality of players attached to them, only way I can see them staying under the tax and keeping Pat and DDR is making a trade for Chris Paul, his contract is un-guaranteed if released (guarantee date is just after the draft).

Billy will be back (dammit Kentucky), but I knew that, because it's not actually AKME, it's AKMEBD.

They were creative at the beginning of their tenure with the acquisitions of Lonzo, Caruso and DDR, but the results have been underwhelming at best.

I guess I'll watch the draft again this year (probably when they start to make some moves), but I'm not going to get too excited.

He said he would be aggressive like he was before .
Postseason will be interesting.

He also said last summer just wait till FA. Big moves… never happened. Carter and Craig.

Clown Show.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#133 » by Chi town » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:41 pm

Ice Man wrote:To follow up on Da's point, the top 8 teams in made 3 pointers this season all made the playoffs, except for Atlanta, because while its offense is OK it doesn't defend a lick. Meanwhile, none of the bottom 10 teams in made 3s made the playoffs except for Denver and Orlando. Denver succeeded because you get to make your own offensive rules if you have Jokic. Orlando, admittedly, I cannot explain.

It's a strong trend, though. Make 3s or die.

And we have DDR and Vuc as our highest usage players. They both suck in volume and percentage.

Vuc and DDR are holding back our offense big time. You replace them with league average 3s with their mins and we make a big jump.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#134 » by Chi town » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:43 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:

If we subtract Vuc and DDR and add back Lavine we shoot and make way more 3s. Coby Ayo Pat will take and make more 3s.

We draft Shannon and DaSilva we are shooting and making way more 3s.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,299

Post#135 » by kodo » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:15 pm

The 3P problem isn't about most of the team, most of the team shoots EXTREMELY well from 3, esp for defensive guys like Caruso & Ayo. The vast majority of our shots come from Demar & Vucevic, Coby & Lavine swapped positions as 3rd options. Both were good 3 shooters but it doesn't matter what 3 to 15 shoot, what matters is what #1 & #2 shoot and Demar & Vuc are terrible 3 shooters.

I took our 3PM this season where we where 27th (11.5 made 3s).
- Replaced Demar with 2021 Lavine when he was last a #1 option
- Replaced Vucevic's 34 minutes with 34 minutes of Wendell Carter

Our theoretical new 3PM is 14.6. That would put Chicago as the 3rd best 3P shooting team in the league.

Our 3P problem is not a problem with #3 through #15 on this team, so swapping/adding/changing all these guys will do nothing. The numbers even support this being one of the best 3P supporting casts in the league.

Our 3P problem is solely with our #1 (Demar) and our #2 (Vucevic).
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#136 » by MrSparkle » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:01 pm

I find that blaming Demar (a top-50 player) for our 3P woes is rather fruitless. Actually I find it completely fruitless. This is the only guy who from game 1 to 84 played a rather consistent role, providing production in almost every area and even giving a little more defensive effort than his reputation suggested.

#1 we have a coach who seems to play his “vet stars” for 40+ MPG on a team with next-to-no discernible coaching/adjustments/discipline on the offensive end.

#2 stats don’t lie- Bulls have ranked amongst the highest number of wide open 3P shots, while trending towards the bottom end in percentages and makes. Demar started giving up the ball to Coby.

We literally lost the final play-in game with Demar hitting around season averages, even making an extraordinary 3-6 3Ps, while Coby and Ayo went 4-19 from the arc.

So can we stop with the conspiracy theories? We have a coach who can tell his primary usage players to create more 3P looks. Or play them less minutes, and integrate his better shooting lineups more, at the expense of defense. Whether they actually make those shots is another story. That’s on the GM/executive for having zero guys who’d have a chance winning 3P contest. (And I mean ZERO- sorry Coby, but you’re streaky)

We need a better offensive coach, and/or we need better shooters and playmakers. Demar is not “holding back” our MVP backcourt. (MIP, maybe yes, especially as a pair)

I love Caruso’s percentage/improvement shooting, but this guy takes mostly 100% uncontested 3Ps. His value is defensive, and when you don’t have Lebron or Giannis, you’re picking your poison. Billy picks defense every time (with his roleplayers).

I think Jevon and Bitim are decent glimpses of Billy’s psyche. Barre the games where we were so short handed he had to play them, he simply didn’t play the best 3P shooters off the bench (almost ever). He’d rather keep feeding his stars (Demar and Vuc). His philosophy is the top 2 guys get theirs, the rest figure it out. Been the same since KD and Westbrook. This isn’t surprising anymore.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,231

Post#137 » by HomoSapien » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:17 pm

DDR and his reps know that AKME is so dumb and desperate that they have the balls to turn down $80m.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#138 » by SfBull » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:16 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:Trade Zach for whatever you can.

Trade Alex for as much as possible. I love him, but he will be eligible for an extension at around 20 million per, and with how often he gets injured, he isn't going to be worth it for our team, for another contending him, he would be worth every penny.

Trade Carter for whatever you can.

Try like damn hell to trade Vuc for whatever you can (unlikely though)

We may need to trade our 11th pick, in combination for any of the above players.

Likely resign DeMar to a big 2 year deal.

Resign Pat to around 18-20 million per is my guess.

Temporarily build around Coby and Ayo. And pray for some draft luck, or a young star, or potential star who targets the Bulls as their destination. A lot of luck is going to be involved for a relatively quick turnaround, otherwise this pain is going to continue for another 4-5 years at best. And we are just going to end up wasting the value contracts of Coby and Ayo, where we will then have to likely overpay them in another seasons time.

Build around Coby and Ayo? We are so screwed! That is a homeless amputee version of the Splash Bros.

At this point I prefer to build around Coby and Ayo releasing DeMar , trading Pat preferentially in a package with Zach for best valuation getting picks .Build with draft picks and free agency.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 748

Post#139 » by Charlesareed » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:05 pm

Bulls off season plan should be to get better as a team let demar walk potentially pat aswell unless he sign a team friendly deal trade Zach Caruso vuc Carter and maybe Craig doubt they can find a deal for ball is he expiring this season??? Draft a SF either Ron Holland Harrison Ingram or maybe Cody Williams in free agency sign a pf 6’9 or taller try to resign AD as backup C try signing GTJ
Chicago Raised me
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,800

Post#140 » by WindyCityBorn » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:50 pm

Charlesareed wrote:Bulls off season plan should be to get better as a team let demar walk potentially pat aswell unless he sign a team friendly deal trade Zach Caruso vuc Carter and maybe Craig doubt they can find a deal for ball is he expiring this season??? Draft a SF either Ron Holland Harrison Ingram or maybe Cody Williams in free agency sign a pf 6’9 or taller try to resign AD as backup C try signing GTJ

There is no way we get better by letting DeMar walk. That’s a rebuild. Which I’m fine with.

Return to Chicago Bulls