Image ImageImage Image

New NBA TV negotiations

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,797

New NBA TV negotiations 

Post#1 » by dougthonus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:29 pm

https://theathletic.com/5430093/2024/04/22/nba-tv-rights-amazon-nbc/?source=user_shared_article&access_token=8791271&redirected=1

The athletic is a subscription service, so sorry if you can't see all the article, but some interesting stuff here.

Ignoring the commentary about who will get what, one theme is super awesome and very prominent. The NBA wants to ditch the affiliate model and give consumers who don't have cable the option to see all games and stop local blackouts.

A couple quotes:
The NBA will broach the idea of partnering with ESPN, Amazon, Apple, Google/YouTube TV — maybe more than one of them — to potentially offer local games direct to consumers. However, one prominent model being contemplated would not offer exclusive rights to these outlets, according to executives briefed on the plans.

For example, in New York, the Knicks are available on cable through MSG Network or with MSGN’s direct-to-consumer subscription app. The NBA could try to sell Knicks games directly to fans on a local level, as a season pass or per game. MSGN offers the same type of service, but also includes other programming.

The NBA’s idea would be to have as many fans have access to the games as possible as cable diminishes.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Re: New NBA TV negotiations 

Post#2 » by patryk7754 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:47 pm

dougthonus wrote:https://theathletic.com/5430093/2024/04/22/nba-tv-rights-amazon-nbc/?source=user_shared_article&access_token=8791271&redirected=1

Ignoring the commentary about who will get what, one theme is super awesome and very prominent. The NBA wants to ditch the affiliate model and give consumers who don't have cable the option to see all games and stop local blackouts.

Wow, I thought this next deal would be more restrictive with all the subscription services (following the NFL with the Peacock game). But it looks like they are following the lead of the Jazz(?). I believe they made all their home games available on local TV
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,291

Post#3 » by kodo » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 pm

They really have to. They're missing out on so many fans who simply won't deal w/ the local blackout nonsense, and the youngest gens never grew up with cable.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,165

Post#4 » by League Circles » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:47 am

Yeah a direct stream w/out blackouts would be ideal, but the service has got to be robust. I tried espn streaming app for the last two games and it was very poor quality both times. Nowhere near something like netflix, youtube, or even amazon quality.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#5 » by dougthonus » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:26 pm

League Circles wrote:Yeah a direct stream w/out blackouts would be ideal, but the service has got to be robust. I tried espn streaming app for the last two games and it was very poor quality both times. Nowhere near something like netflix, youtube, or even amazon quality.

I haven't tried any of the minor streaming apps that may stink, but the important thing is thematically they want to have a direct option, and this should be available 25/26 season, so only one more season without it. Even if the platform isn't initially high quality, the fact they will have legal rights to do it means that the platform can always improve year over year.

I'm hoping that it's effectively just league pass without blackouts. I'd be all over it, and it'd save me about $700 a year.
@doug_thonus on twitter
nekorajo
Bench Warmer
And1: 580

Post#6 » by nekorajo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:03 pm

dougthonus wrote:
League Circles wrote:Yeah a direct stream w/out blackouts would be ideal, but the service has got to be robust. I tried espn streaming app for the last two games and it was very poor quality both times. Nowhere near something like netflix, youtube, or even amazon quality.

I haven't tried any of the minor streaming apps that may stink, but the important thing is thematically they want to have a direct option, and this should be available 25/26 season, so only one more season without it. Even if the platform isn't initially high quality, the fact they will have legal rights to do it means that the platform can always improve year over year.

I'm hoping that it's effectively just league pass without blackouts. I'd be all over it, and it'd save me about $700 a year.

Agreed. I only have YouTube TV for Bulls games.
Nate3carp
Senior
And1: 128

Post#7 » by Nate3carp » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 pm

If something like this comes to fruition, I wonder what that means for local channels (in our case Comcast Sports Chicago). Does the TV station "sell" their broadcast to the NBA? Certainly the NBA isn't going to have their own broadcast to compete against the local channels, right? I guess I don't really care as long as we don't end up losing Adam and Stacy out of this!
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,443

Post#8 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:58 pm

Nate3carp wrote:If something like this comes to fruition, I wonder what that means for local channels (in our case Comcast Sports Chicago). Does the TV station "sell" their broadcast to the NBA? Certainly the NBA isn't going to have their own broadcast to compete against the local channels, right? I guess I don't really care as long as we don't end up losing Adam and Stacy out of this!

I would think NBCSN just shuts down if it doesn't have the rights to the Sox, Bulls, and Hawks. They've already laid tons of people off and cut back on their studio content. What would they be left with? A couple of talk shows and poker reruns?

As to Adam and Stacy, it would just be up to the new TV group to hire or not hire them.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#9 » by dougthonus » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:27 pm

Nate3carp wrote:If something like this comes to fruition, I wonder what that means for local channels (in our case Comcast Sports Chicago). Does the TV station "sell" their broadcast to the NBA? Certainly the NBA isn't going to have their own broadcast to compete against the local channels, right? I guess I don't really care as long as we don't end up losing Adam and Stacy out of this!

it is an interesting contractual question for teams which already have rich local contracts based on the clauses within those contracts.
@doug_thonus on twitter
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,291

Post#10 » by kodo » Yesterday 7:08 pm

If NBC successfully replaces TNT, the Inside the NBA crew will be broken up.

NBCU is planning to bid $2.5 a year for rights to the games, according to the Wall Street Journal. If the offer is successful, the company would supplant media rival Warner Bros. Discovery, whose TBS and TNT cable networks began carrying NBA games in 1988. TNT has been the flagship Turner network associated with pro basketball, with its Inside the NBA the gold standard of sports studio shows, since 1989.

Ernie will stay with TNT without the NBA, Barkley will sign a new deal to cover the NBA with another program or do something else entirely.

While Charles Barkley is a certain broadcast free agent if Warner Bros. Discovery loses its NBA package following the 2024-25 season, industry sources said Thursday that co-host Ernie Johnson would remain at Turner either way -- meaning next season could be the last for TNT’s award-winning studio show "Inside the NBA."

That would be sad, the TNT crew has been the greatest NBA program in history. I guess everything comes to an end
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,443

Post#11 » by jnrjr79 » Yesterday 7:18 pm

Tough call: bring back Roundball Rock or preserve Inside the NBA?
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,203

Post#12 » by HomoSapien » Today 3:27 am

NBA knows how important Inside the NBA is. It wouldn't surprise me if we see TNT get half the games they get now with NBC splitting the rest.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,283

Post#13 » by prolific passer » Today 3:07 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:Tough call: bring back Roundball Rock or preserve Inside the NBA?

I believe many want to keep on TNT but get it off of ESPN/ABC.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#14 » by dougthonus » Today 4:10 pm

prolific passer wrote:

At this point, doesn't seem like that option is on the table. Sounds like they have agreements with Disney (ABC/ESPN) and Amazon already and are just going back and forth with NBC / TNT for the final grouping.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 745

Post#15 » by Charlesareed » Today 4:31 pm

dougthonus wrote:
prolific passer wrote:

At this point, doesn't seem like that option is on the table. Sounds like they have agreements with Disney (ABC/ESPN) and Amazon already and are just going back and forth with NBC / TNT for the final grouping.

It would be best to take it off ESPN/abc Disney thing is abc is broadcast television not cable that’s why the wavy nbc it would be a massive mistake to leave tnt tho tbh the nba has been on tnt for over 40 years
Chicago Raised me
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#16 » by dougthonus » Today 4:39 pm

Charlesareed wrote:It would be best to take it off ESPN/abc Disney thing is abc is broadcast television not cable that’s why the wavy nbc it would be a massive mistake to leave tnt tho tbh the nba has been on tnt for over 40 years

I would guess the NBA would view it as being a massive mistake to leave money on the table and view the channel it airs on as basically a commodity option.
@doug_thonus on twitter
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,283

Post#17 » by prolific passer » Today 5:10 pm

Charlesareed wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
prolific passer wrote:I believe many want to keep on TNT but get it off of ESPN/ABC.

It would be best to take it off ESPN/abc Disney thing is abc is broadcast television not cable that’s why the wavy nbc it would be a massive mistake to leave tnt tho tbh the nba has been on tnt for over 40 years

People want it off ESPN/ABC because they haven't liked their coverage since going over there. Doesn't help that their first few NBA finals were 2 of the lowest in NBA history.

Return to Chicago Bulls