Image ImageImage Image

2024 NBA Draft - DA BULLS Edition

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

atut55
Junior
And1: 129

Re: 2024 NBA Draft - DA BULLS Edition 

Post#61 » by atut55 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:26 am

Wouldn’t mind Terrence Shannon. Good shooter, above average athlete, and a blur on the fast break.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#62 » by madvillian » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:26 am

BullChit wrote:My limited knowledge of draft classes and prospects basically come from this forum.

All I want to know is are there any defensive athletic big men in this draft and if so do they fall anywhere near our draft range?

No. At best Edey falls to us in the late lotto. I'd probably grab him if he's there. Worth the risk. It would be a swing for the fences boom or bust pick despite his college stats. There is a world where he's a very good starter. There's also a lot of worlds where he is unplayable.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
atut55
Junior
And1: 129

Post#63 » by atut55 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:29 am

Also think I like Edey more than Clingin. Better motor and stronger body
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#64 » by Jcool0 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:35 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Knecht is a significantly worse shooting prospect than Doug.

He strikes me as a solid contributor but I don't see the ceiling (unless his shooting explodes somehow).

Significantly worse? That's fairly exaggerated comparing guys who went 2.6/6.5 vs. 2.7/6.1.

Also the college stats skew a whole lot more. 10 years is a quite a lot of time difference, as NCAA and NBA both evolved quite a bit away from classic post play (sagging on 3P defense) and now essentially stress 3P defense more than ever. McDermott put up a lot more volume than that era's average, and was a rather different player (high usage mid/high-post pseudo-PF in college). The way it translates to NBA is somewhat unpredictable. 46% Stauskas was a NBA-nobody while 38% Duncan became a NBA finals starter.

I also think Thibs kinda killed Doug's mojo by icing him too hard. I was pro-Thibs, but I do think his adversity to playing the 3P defensive-sieve wasn't the best decision (Korver included). But one thing that prominently comes to mind, is that Doug seemed completely clueless how to make himself useful off the ball. It seemed like catch-and-shoot/Redick/Korver/Dunleavy style sets were completely foreign to him. I don't get that vibe from Knecht.

But I'm also not rooting for a Knecht pick. I'm not a scout nor an avid college basketball watcher. I hope AK does look at 3P shooting more than he has in his last few drafts, though. Ja'Kobe and Knecht appeal to me more than another Dalen Terry.

Not an exaggeration. Doug was at 45% from 3 for his career and more importantly was at 87% from the line on huge volume as a junior/senior. Bright green shooting profile.

Knecht had zero seasons over 40% (his volume was good though). More worryingly, he's been steady at 77% from the line. Not great for the archetype.

I think he's a good shooting prospect. Doug was a great one (and has proved that out in the NBA).

Knecht in 18 conference games was shooting 42% on 7.3 attempts from 3 and was 81% from the FT line on 6.3 attempts his last 10 games.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,266

Post#65 » by Dan Z » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:35 am

The NBA Draft Room Mock posted earlier has the Bulls taking Reed Sheppard. I'd be okay with that, but would wonder about his fit on a team with Ayo, Coby, Carter and Zach (but that's something you figure out later).
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,367

Post#66 » by 2weekswithpay » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:41 am

BullChit wrote:My limited knowledge of draft classes and prospects basically come from this forum.

All I want to know is are there any defensive athletic big men in this draft and if so do they fall anywhere near our draft range?

Yves Missi is the only big that fits the criteria but he has his faults that keep him outside the lottery.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#67 » by Jcool0 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:41 am

Dan Z wrote:The NBA Draft Room Mock posted earlier has the Bulls taking Reed Sheppard. I'd be okay with that, but would wonder about his fit on a team with Ayo, Coby, Carter and Zach (but that's something you figure out later).

I've mostly seen him going top 7. Would be shocking to see him drop to 11. He is also 6'3" and not a big time athlete. Seems like a better defender version of Coby.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,266

Post#68 » by Dan Z » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:45 am

Jcool0 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:The NBA Draft Room Mock posted earlier has the Bulls taking Reed Sheppard. I'd be okay with that, but would wonder about his fit on a team with Ayo, Coby, Carter and Zach (but that's something you figure out later).

I've mostly seen him going top 7. Would be shocking to see him drop to 11. He is also 6'3" and not a big time athlete. Seems like a better defender version of Coby.

I saw someone mention Mark Price as a comparison to Sheppard. I don't know how well it fits, but it's interesting to think about.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,884

Post#69 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:50 am

atut55 wrote:Wouldn’t mind Terrence Shannon. Good shooter, above average athlete, and a blur on the fast break.

I'm with you so far.

Edey > Clingan

Shannon >= Knecht
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,422

Post#70 » by Muzbar » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:20 am

Actually, do you know who Knecht reminds me of?

Mike Dunleavy Jr., his early years in the league.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,665

Post#71 » by sco » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:49 pm

Edey gives me Boban vibes. He is big and skilled in the post, but too slow to be a starter.

Clingan is nowhere near as skilled offensively and not as strong, but seems to have the quickness to guard the perimeter. That said, I don't value 1 way C's enough to want to trade up for him.
:clap:
DropStep
Junior
And1: 158

Post#72 » by DropStep » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:30 pm

I made that comparison earlier too - Edey/Boban. Yao, minus the offensive versatility? Hibbert is sort of the ultimate cautionary tale - DPOY runner up to out of the league seemingly in a snap as the league changed. Somebody replied with the idea that Brook Lopez is also huge and isn't any speed burner, and he's a DPOY candidate due to positioning and smarts, which is a fair point. I can't decide, as usual. It's one of the most crucial decisions in the draft if you need a big man, because Edey is so talented, but if you miss, his floor is the basement, as MJ might say. This article is from 2018, but it shows good examples of why Boban gets played off the floor despite being one of the most efficient offensive players we've ever seen. We can imagine Edey doing some of the same things in the pros, can't we? As Pop says in the article, sometimes you am who you am, and there isn't much you can do about it when you're 7'4", no matter what you do. You also worry about injury at that height and weight. I will be curious to see what his agility and lateral movement scores looks like compared to some of the other giants we've seen - Fall, Thabeet, Porzingis, etc.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-the-most-efficient-scorer-in-nba-history-is-stuck-on-the-bench/
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,383

Post#73 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:55 pm

2weekswithpay wrote:

Yves Missi is the only big that fits the criteria but he has his faults that keep him outside the lottery.

Clingan and Eddey are getting all the hype but I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years looking back on this draft Missi is the best center.

7-feet tall, 7'6" wingspan. Bouncey, Agile. He's your prototypical rim-running, shot-blocking center.

Think Jalen Duran, Mitchell Robinson, Daniel Gafford.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,542

Post#74 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:26 pm

drosestruts wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:

Clingan and Eddey are getting all the hype but I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years looking back on this draft Missi is the best center.

7-feet tall, 7'6" wingspan. Bouncey, Agile. He's your prototypical rim-running, shot-blocking center.

Think Jalen Duran, Mitchell Robinson, Daniel Gafford.

Edey I am not sold on in the NBA. I would rather go a different way than him. Mnster in college but too immobile for the NBA
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,034

Post#75 » by Chi town » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:52 pm

Muzbar wrote:Actually, do you know who Knecht reminds me of?

Mike Dunleavy Jr., his early years in the league.

Yep. Good comp. Similar. Knect is a better shooter.

I do think Shannon will be better in the league because of his handle. He can create 3s off the dribble.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,034

Post#76 » by Chi town » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:55 pm

I’d like two players from this draft via trade back or Caruso.

Shannon Knecht DaSilva Edey Furphy

I think DaSilva could be a big time shooter at the 4.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,690

Post#77 » by DuckIII » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:29 pm

sco wrote:Edey gives me Boban vibes. He is big and skilled in the post, but too slow to be a starter.

Boban is just tall. Edey is tall and has a huge frame and far, far superior interior scoring moves with an excellent ability to draw fouls. I don’t want Edey anywhere before late first round at the most because he’ll be a big defensive liability, but I see this Boban comp quite a bit and I don’t think it’s very accurate.

Clingan is nowhere near as skilled offensively and not as strong, but seems to have the quickness to guard the perimeter. That said, I don't value 1 way C's enough to want to trade up for him.

He’s not as skilled a scorer for sure, but he is not a one way player either. He has interior moves, is a back down and face up passer, and rumor has it he can shoot a three but it was (understandably) not part of UCONN’s offense.

Also, though he projects as an excellent interior defender and has much, much better half court “quickness” than Edey, he’s still not quick. His ability to cover ground is based more based on knowledge and technique. He can show on the perimeter and recover, but he’s not going to be able to handle a wing in a matchup. He’ll get torched.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DropStep
Junior
And1: 158

Post#78 » by DropStep » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:27 pm

DuckIII wrote:
sco wrote:Edey gives me Boban vibes. He is big and skilled in the post, but too slow to be a starter.

Boban is just tall. Edey is tall and has a huge frame and far, far superior interior scoring moves with an excellent ability to draw fouls. I don’t want Edey anywhere before late first round at the most because he’ll be a big defensive liability, but I see this Boban comp quite a bit and I don’t think it’s very accurate.

Boban isn't just tall, he is an absolute gym rat and has a lot of skills. His career PER is 25.3. Yao's was 23, Porzingis's 20.7, Tacko Fall's 18.8, Shawn Bradley's 16. Boban is also ripped and shoots 5% better than Edey on free throws at 76%. He just can't stay on the floor defensively.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,690

Post#79 » by DuckIII » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:17 pm

DropStep wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Boban isn't just tall, he is an absolute gym rat and has a lot of skills. His career PER is 25.3. Yao's was 23, Porzingis's 20.7, Tacko Fall's 18.8, Shawn Bradley's 16. Boban is also ripped and shoots 5% better than Edey on free throws at 76%. He just can't stay on the floor defensively.

Over his career he has taken 3 shots a game and they are almost all within 3 feet of the rim. He’s nowhere near the skilled scorer inside that Edey is and he’s less mobile, which is hard to be. His PER is based on 8 minutes per game and being “ripped” doesn’t matter.

He can pass though.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,665

Post#80 » by sco » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:39 pm

DuckIII wrote:
DropStep wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Over his career he has taken 3 shots a game and they are almost all within 3 feet of the rim. He’s nowhere near the skilled scorer inside that Edey is and he’s less mobile, which is hard to be. His PER is based on 8 minutes per game and being “ripped” doesn’t matter.

He can pass though.

Boban aside, Edey is big, skilled near the basket but slow footed and lacks a 3 ball. I'm hard-pressed to think of a current starting C that has that mix.
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls