Image ImageImage Image

It's one or the other (Noah and Ty)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,917

Post#101 » by DuckIII » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:17 pm

kyrv wrote:Questions for Derf:

1) IT knows more about basketball than us. Was his trade for Stevie Francis a good decision?

2) What happens when the GM and coach disagree - does this create a paradox which threatens our very existance? Or does 'whoever know more' break the tie?

3) Was hiring Larry Brown a good idea for the Knicks? Then...firing him must have been not a good decision? Another paradox.

Let's get some more examples up in here, fish, duck? jeremy? Everyone can play along. :)

Well, all of the best ones involve Zeke. How about acquiring Eddy Curry with the knowledge that he was a poor defender, rebounder, and shot blocker while publicly stating that Eddy's job was to be a scorer, and then benching him 2 seasons later under the umbrella of complaints that "I need rebounding and blocks from the center position"?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
derf
Starter
And1: 0

Post#102 » by derf » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:19 pm

kyrv wrote:Questions for Derf:

1) IT knows more about basketball than us. Was his trade for Stevie Francis a good decision?

2) What happens when the GM and coach disagree - does this create a paradox which threatens our very existance? Or does 'whoever know more' break the tie?

3) Was hiring Larry Brown a good idea for the Knicks? Then...firing him must have been not a good decision? Another paradox.

Let's get some more examples up in here, fish, duck? jeremy? Everyone can play along. :)

Good technique here. Since you have no factually based argument to counter my posts you are now muddying up the water. sweet.

Jeremy can't help you the limb is cracking...
derf
Starter

Post#103 » by derf » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:21 pm

derf wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Good technique here. Since you have no factually based argument to counter my posts you are now muddying up the water. sweet.

Jeremy can't help you the limb is cracking...

Kryv, you're orgional point was that fans knew as much as Pro coaches. Please stay on topic.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#104 » by transplant » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:56 pm

Kryv, you're orgional point was that fans knew as much as Pro coaches. Please stay on topic.

Actually, I thought his original point involved decision-making, not knowledge. I believe that kyrv said you were right about knowledge. Cliff Levingston disagreed about fans not knowing as much about basketball as NBA head coaches, but only in his specific case as a fan.:wink:

FWIW, with the possible exception of Cliff, I don't believe any poster here knows as much about basketball as the worst NBA head coach. However, there may be several posters who are better decision-makers (in general) than the best NBA head coach. The problem, of course is, that knowledge of the subject matter is very damn helpful in making decisions.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
derf
Starter

Post#105 » by derf » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:09 am

transplant wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually, I thought his original point involved decision-making, not knowledge. I believe that kyrv said you were right about knowledge. Cliff Levingston disagreed about fans not knowing as much about basketball as NBA head coaches, but only in his specific case as a fan.:wink:

FWIW, with the possible exception of Cliff, I don't believe any poster here knows as much about basketball as the worst NBA head coach. However, there may be several posters who are better decision-makers (in general) than the best NBA head coach. The problem, of course is, that knowledge of the subject matter is very damn helpful in making decisions.

Point taken. As I said in the beginning that was not an argument I'd want to make. Personally I'd love to see the Bulls winning with all three young 'uns starting. But for now My position is "Just Win Baby".

Kryv, i respect your opinion, i just see the team's priorities in a different place right now. :D
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#106 » by JeremyB0001 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:13 am

kulaz3000 wrote:The times when he messes up is when he just darting towards the basket with no real purpose besides getting to the basket, then BAM, he'll barrell into a defender. There is a 50/50 chance that when he gets a steal and decides to take it up court himself, that it will result in a turnover.

What he used to do often was lead the break, pass when someone covered him, and then immediately crash into that defender and have a charge called. I wouldn't say it was without purpose per se, because taking the ball yourself gets the break going immediately whereas finding a guard can slow things down a bit. Obviously it's not worth it though if a turnover results half the time. However, I haven't seen him commit that charge for a good while (though he hasn't been playing nearly as much).

kyrv wrote:Tyrus rarely plays, so not a big deal, but I also would prefer Tyrus give up the ball asap. I like that he starts downcourt but I think (for now) he should be looking to get the ball to the guard and then head towards the basket.

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of limiting the things he can do on the court. Since he generates turnovers a lot, it's pretty valuable if he can take the ball up the court himself. As I said though, if it rarely turns out well, he can't continue to do it. It's just one of the struggles of developing a player on a competitive team. We're struggling an awful lot with that, which makes me think Pax screwed up if he didn't have some sort of a game plan in place when he drafted Tyrus, Thabo, and Noah.

derf wrote:I hope You are not suggesting that the judgement of the fans is superior to the judgement of the coaches.

That is not an argument that I'd want to have to make.

What's the alternative? To always defer to the judgment of the coaching staff? There's a long history of fans not doing that in sports and we wouldn't have a lot left to talk about around these parts.

derf wrote:Tyurus plays every day in practice, The thing is it is not on TV, so we don't see it.

But the coaches do. Perhaps they are seeing something we don't.

This sounds pretty close to absolute deference to the coaching staff. Especially when you consider that much of what Boylan said contradicts with this notion ("I'm trying to shorten the rotation to get players in rhythm," "No one is buried," "I need to ride the guys who got us here," etc.). Coaches often notoriously favor veterans and it seems like there's a very good chance that's what is happening here. If that's the case, I disagree and I think my opinion is valid.

derf wrote:To answer your question on Skiles? Yeah I'd guess he knew more basketball then anyone here. Unless of course someone is a ringer.

I don't think being a genius when it comes to X's and O's means you have flawless judgment. That's what a lot of this is, judgment calls. As Kryv noted, apparently Pax's judgment differs from Boylan and he certainly knows a lot about the game of basketball.

derf wrote:The old argument was that Skiles was sitting Tyrus because Skiles was playing head games, trying to mess with Tyrus. That argument no longer holds water. What's the new argument? As far as I can tell it is that Tyrus is entitled to minutes because he has potential.

I thought Skiles not playing Tyrus was a combination of things. Some of it seemed like head games in that his idea of developing Tyrus was to bench him when he didn't play exactly the way Skiles wanted instead of letting him play through mistakes. Some if it to me is that I think coach's often lack perspective about what helps win games. They like steady, mistake free players over more mistake prone players with a bigger impact because they like their plays run correctly.

As far as Boylan, I think the (paraphrased) quotes I noted above sum the situation up pretty clearly. He favors "more established," veteran players, and wants to play a shortened rotation so that leaves Noah and Tyrus on the outside looking in. It seems the reason that Gray is playing more minutes is that he places a great deal of value on his size at center.

derf wrote:Kryv, you're orgional point was that fans knew as much as Pro coaches. Please stay on topic.

The argument I picked up from you is that fans aren't qualified to question the decision making of NBA coaches because we're laymen and they're experts. It would seem to logically extend to GMs also since they make decisions and they're experts but if you want to limit it to coaches so be it. I don't think it makes much of a difference because Skiles, Isiah, and the like have pretty obviously made some poor decisions as coaches. I don't know how you justify things like having Wallace set screens out on the perimeter when it repeatedly leads to terrible results or some of the rotation moves we've seen Skiles make ("shaking thins up" seems like a cop out you could always use to justify a terrible decision).
derf
Starter

Post#107 » by derf » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:47 am

JeremyB0001 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The argument I picked up from you is that fans aren't qualified to question the decision making of NBA coaches because we're laymen and they're experts. It would seem to logically extend to GMs also since they make decisions and they're experts but if you want to limit it to coaches so be it. I don't think it makes much of a difference because Skiles, Isiah, and the like have pretty obviously made some poor decisions as coaches. I don't know how you justify things like having Wallace set screens out on the perimeter when it repeatedly leads to terrible results or some of the rotation moves we've seen Skiles make ("shaking thins up" seems like a cop out you could always use to justify a terrible decision).

This is an internet message board. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If everybody agreed with me I wouldn't need to read this board.

Skiles wanted to win.
Meyers wanted to win.
Boylan wants to win.

Apparently, none of them felt Tyrus, at this time gave them their best chance to win.

IMO this evidence is signifigantly > the opinion of random internet fans.

Doesn't make me right...
or wrong...
Just my opinion.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#108 » by transplant » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:15 am

This is an internet message board. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If everybody agreed with me I wouldn't need to read this board.

Skiles wanted to win.
Meyers wanted to win.
Boylan wants to win.

Apparently, none of them felt Tyrus, at this time gave them their best chance to win.

Doesn't make me right...
or wrong...
Just my opinion.

And I'll fight to the death for your right to express it! :starwars
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,778

Post#109 » by kyrv » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:20 am

DuckIII wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well, all of the best ones involve Zeke. How about acquiring Eddy Curry with the knowledge that he was a poor defender, rebounder, and shot blocker while publicly stating that Eddy's job was to be a scorer, and then benching him 2 seasons later under the umbrella of complaints that "I need rebounding and blocks from the center position"?

I think Derf is going to ignore those questions and seems to be trying to slide his argument over. In fact he contradicted himself in his last post. Not surprising.

So, in summary, all coaching decisions are not good, or correct. And fans and media and anyone else, can and will question any decision(s) any coach makes.

Basketball knowledge, notwithstanding.

Thank you Derf for participating. :) :clap:

P.S. - Not many are refuting the Derf theories, so I suspect we may see very little questioning of any moves Boylan and/or Paxson make. Since, you know, they know more about basketball than we do.

Going to be pretty quiet around here. :)

One odd thing though, the people who don't know much realized Skiles should be coaching the Bulls before Paxson did. Interesting. Hmm.
Bill Walton wrote: Keep the music playing.
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#110 » by JeremyB0001 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:25 am

derf wrote:Apparently, none of them felt Tyrus, at this time gave them their best chance to win.

Chalk it up to a difference in philosophy perhaps. I just have very little reverence for the decision making skills of coaches and executives in pro sports, at least when the decisions aren't intensely related to X's and O's. I think there are plenty of other coaches who would probably handle this situation the same way but I also think they're wrong. As I said, I think coaches are biased in favor of savvy players. I don't put a lot of stock in the fact that three different coaches haven't played the young bigs since they're all part of the same coaching staff. Also, Meyers only coached one game and was horrific IMO so it doesn't give much pause that he apparently disagrees with me.
derf
Starter

Post#111 » by derf » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:54 am

kyrv wrote:

I think Derf is going to ignore those questions and seems to be trying to slide his argument over. In fact he contradicted himself in his last post. Not surprising.

So, in summary, all coaching decisions are not good, or correct. And fans and media and anyone else, can and will question any decision(s) any coach makes.

Basketball knowledge, notwithstanding.

Thank you Derf for participating. :) :clap:

P.S. - Not many are refuting the Derf theories, so I suspect we may see very little questioning of any moves Boylan and/or Paxson make. Since, you know, they know more about basketball than we do.

Going to be pretty quiet around here. :)

One odd thing though, the people who don't know much realized Skiles should be coaching the Bulls before Paxson did. Interesting. Hmm.

It's all good Kryv. I felt sorry for you so I eased up that's all. I don't really follow where you're going here though. are you sugesting that you have greater knowledge of NBA Basketball knowledge then Isiah Thomas?
derf
Starter

Post#112 » by derf » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:31 am

JeremyB0001 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Chalk it up to a difference in philosophy perhaps. I just have very little reverence for the decision making skills of coaches and executives in pro sports, at least when the decisions aren't intensely related to X's and O's. I think there are plenty of other coaches who would probably handle this situation the same way but I also think they're wrong. As I said, I think coaches are biased in favor of savvy players. I don't put a lot of stock in the fact that three different coaches haven't played the young bigs since they're all part of the same coaching staff. Also, Meyers only coached one game and was horrific IMO so it doesn't give much pause that he apparently disagrees with me.

I think all three of them are going to be good. Opinions of my own.

Gray has moved in front of Noah
Noah has moved in front of Tyrus
These are two examples of guys earning minutes. Unfortunately these earned minutes come at Tyrus's expense.

The Bulls have a lot of money invested in Ben Wallace and it is entirely possible that pressure is coming from above John Paxon to play him.

I'm not suggesting that fans can't question coaches and GM's, but some of this stuff is getting pretty redundant, I'm getting the feeling that in some cases personal agendas are becoming more important then whether the team wins or loses. Earlier in this thread I noticed that Tidal Wave Rider has been waived.

Bummer.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,917

Post#113 » by DuckIII » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:59 am

It's all good Kryv. I felt sorry for you so I eased up that's all. I don't really follow where you're going here though. are you sugesting that you have greater knowledge of NBA Basketball knowledge then Isiah Thomas?

I can't speak for Kyrv, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I could perform the functions of general manager of an NBA team better than Isiah Thomas. Way, way, way better, in fact. And I dare say I could probably name 30-40 posters on this website that would likewise do a better job than him by wide margins.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
JeffJordan
Junior

Post#114 » by JeffJordan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:06 am

kyrv wrote:
As I have said many times-- players improve and prove themselves the most in practice, the weight room and the offseason. Just because our two young bigs don't play much, doesn't mean we are stunting their growth

I don't understand - why is Seattle playing Durant so much in games when he could be spending that time in the weight room? Why do Aldridge, Gay, and Roy get so much playing time? Why did James get so much playing time as a rookie?

Follow up, at what point in non-playing will Tyrus and Noah be developed? Not playing for two years? Three years?

LaMarcus Aldridge has hit the weight room hard-- gaining 20 lbs of muscle since he was drafted. As well as working his game extremely hard in the off season with Blazers trainer Bill Bayno (who I have met) and the Blazers started practicing this offseason together in August.

Rudy Gay and Kevin Durant are VERY SKILLED players that are NBA ready. TT is not NBA ready and remains a project Talking about a skilled player with 4 years of college... Brandon Roy. You are comparing TT's playing time to these three players? Lebron James, are you freaking kidding me??? You ask WHY have these players gotten time when TT has not? Not only are they all NBA ready and skilled-- but I am sure they proved themselves in practice pretty dang quick.

Joakim Noah is getting playing time because he hustles and our new coach has been impressed enough to say, this kid has earned some PT and boy did it pay off tonight!

How you can argue this point is beyond me.
Bulls_Dynasty6
Veteran
And1: 58

Post#115 » by Bulls_Dynasty6 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:26 am

The main reason I thought Pax fired Skiles was because he wanted to develop the youngsters. The fact is an offensively inept center who is playing at his all time worst is getting entitlement minutes to pad his stats to make him look respectable. Joe Smith is inconsistent and I fear when he shoots. He's a one-dimensional player, and that's it. He reminds me of Malik Allen, who contributed by only shooting mid-range jumpers during his time here. Joe puts up some nice stats from time to time, but he has no impact on this team.

I don't know what the reason is for drafting lottery picks you're going to let rot on the bench. How are we supposed to develop them without giving them playing time? Of course we expect them to work on their game in the offseason by training, weight lifting, etc., but that's not enough. By the time Wallace leaves, our young guys (Thabo, Noah, Tyrus, Gray) will be around in their 3rd-4th-5th seasons and they will have no experience other than playing off the bench. If Michael Jordan was never given playing time, do you think he would have been GOAT? What is the damn problem with Pax and Boylan? Bottom line; YOU drafted these guys, and if you want them to reach their full potential, GIVE THEM PLAYING TIME. We know what Wallace and Smith are capable of, and that's not saying much.
JeffJordan
Junior

Post#116 » by JeffJordan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:58 am

Bulls_Dynasty6 wrote:The main reason I thought Pax fired Skiles was because he wanted to develop the youngsters. The fact is an offensively inept center who is playing at his all time worst is getting entitlement minutes to pad his stats to make him look respectable. Joe Smith is inconsistent and I fear when he shoots. He's a one-dimensional player, and that's it. He reminds me of Malik Allen, who contributed by only shooting mid-range jumpers during his time here. Joe puts up some nice stats from time to time, but he has no impact on this team.

I don't know what the reason is for drafting lottery picks you're going to let rot on the bench. How are we supposed to develop them without giving them playing time? Of course we expect them to work on their game in the offseason by training, weight lifting, etc., but that's not enough. By the time Wallace leaves, our young guys (Thabo, Noah, Tyrus, Gray) will be around in their 3rd-4th-5th seasons and they will have no experience other than playing off the bench. If Michael Jordan was never given playing time, do you think he would have been GOAT? What is the damn problem with Pax and Boylan? Bottom line; YOU drafted these guys, and if you want them to reach their full potential, GIVE THEM PLAYING TIME. We know what Wallace and Smith are capable of, and that's not saying much.

Ummm... we are winning right now. Ben Wallace is doing his thing. We are WINNING. :crazy:

TT is still a project... I just don't get how some people cannot see that. Playing Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, Joakim Noah and Gray ahead of TT makes perfect sense. They are ALL better than him. Plus if Nocioni is going to play some post he is better than TT as well.
derf
Starter

Post#117 » by derf » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:45 am

I can't speak for Kyrv, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I could perform the functions of general manager of an NBA team better than Isiah Thomas. Way, way, way better, in fact. And I dare say I could probably name 30-40 posters on this website that would likewise do a better job than him by wide margins.

Granted, there is a theory in business that to be an effective executive one does not need first hand knowledge, the job can simply be delegated to managers. Personaly? I never bought into that but maybe you do.

So you are saying that NBA owners are fools for hiring people with credentials to expensive contracts when they could be hiring internet posters for cheap?

Or are you cherry picking the biggest train wreck in the history of pro sports and saying I could do that.

How does a fan aquire the experience, skills, contacts and credibility necessary to be a GM. By reading posts on this website? Playstation? Listening to the commentary of Red Kerr? Season tickets?

As i said in the beginning it is a hard argument to make without looking looking silly.
aaqubed
RealGM
And1: 830

Post#118 » by aaqubed » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:04 am

I think all three of them are going to be good. Opinions of my own.

Gray has moved in front of Noah
Noah has moved in front of Tyrus
These are two examples of guys earning minutes. Unfortunately these earned minutes come at Tyrus's expense.

So Tyrus didn't earn minutes when Noce went down last year and he played so well?

The problem is that Tyrus has had good stretches, and that still doesn't affect his playing time. So I don't really think it was ever about playing time needing to be earned. I think it's just that they don't trust him out there. But the fact is, the more he plays, the more likely our team can go far in the playoffs THIS YEAR.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,490

Post#119 » by coldfish » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:47 am

I work as a manager at a small to midsize manufacturer. I don't like to think I am stupid, but I know that I sometimes make decisions that are not purely in the best interest of the company from a logical standpoint. Most of my customers (big manufacturers) do the same and when I talk to their managers, they will admit that many of their decisions are also not the best.

Now, why would managers intentionally make bad decisions? The answer is usually politics. Either the right decision is a big risk, or you have ego's to deal with that would sabotage the right decision, etc.

I submit that the same thing happens in basketball, probably to a bigger degree. I think a lot of decisions on playing time, etc. are not based purely on what would put the best team on the court because you have lots of behind the scenes stuff going on.

In summary: I submit that a random internet poster is capable of seeing good and bad decisions for playing time and if that poster could sit down and talk to the coach over a beer, the coach would agree with that poster, but explain the rationale:
- If I don't play Ben Wallace 30 minutes per night, JR is going to fire someone for paying him $60M to sit on the bench.
- If I play rookie X, there is a chance he could screw up and if that happens too many times, I could get fired. At least if I play the vets, I can just blame them because "they should know better" when they screw up.

So, I disagree with derf's implication that every playing time decision, rotation, etc. is based purely on the coach's best intellectual effort at all times.

Anyone who doesn't think there is a lot of politics that goes into the handling of Ben Wallace is being incredibly naive:
- He complained in Detroit about not being part of the offense and was promised to be part of it in Chicago, so he is, regardless of results.
- You can't just sit a $60M man and not expect a huge media backlash.
- When Ben Wallace isn't happy, he mopes and seems to become a team cancer and coach killer.

Let's be honest about that too, the big reason why Noah and Tyrus are not playing much is that Wallace is playing 40 minutes per game. Nocioni just getting nearly $40M is going to keep getting him minutes too. So, there is a reason for veterans getting their "entitlement" minutes and its called politics.

On realgm, we don't have to think about the consequences of going back on our word when we signed Ben, or worry about scrutiny from the media when you sit a guy you just gave a big contract to, but the guys who have the real jobs do have to think about that.
Dearth
Sophomore

Post#120 » by Dearth » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:08 pm

Skiles wanted to win.
Meyers wanted to win.
Boylan wants to win.

Doesn't make me right...
or wrong...
Just my opinion.

Just want to point out that Tyrus broke camp as the starter at the power forward position. He had a chance to put that on lock for 8 years but he didn't. He'll get another chance by busting his butt in practice and taking advantage of his next opportunity.

Return to Chicago Bulls