Image ImageImage Image

What Happened to Deng?/Deng Injury Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

ababakan
Ballboy
And1: 0

What Happened to Deng?/Deng Injury Thread 

Post#1 » by ababakan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:33 am

I've only been watching since the end of the third quarter. Did something happen to Deng? I haven't seen him play yet.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,836

Post#2 » by dougthonus » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:36 am

STrained his achilles. (wiretap article about it)

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... es_tendon/
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
NLK
Head Coach
And1: 9
Location: CHICAGO is a big market with many Rings! Eat S#%T New York!

Post#3 » by NLK » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:38 am

To me this is very concerning (esp. from someone who has just torn his about a year ago). Anything regarding any tendons is. I hope they look at it via MRIs etc., and get a good feel how serious this may be.
-NLK: Offending Djiboutians since November 2007
"You don't truly know someone, until you fight them."
"To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very essence that makes us human."
ManicBullsFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#4 » by ManicBullsFan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:39 am

NLK wrote:To me this is very concerning (esp. from someone who has just torn his about a year ago). Anything regarding any tendons is. I hope they look at it via MRIs etc., and get a good feel how serious this may be.

:crazy:
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#5 » by bullzman23 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:42 am

It seemed like he was able to come back, but Boylan wanted to play it safe.

But what happened to Thabo? Trade, injury, or preparing to go to D-League?
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,738

Post#6 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:57 am

Am I a terrible person if part of me hopes that Deng is out at least just for a little while? It's not that I wish any harm on him, it's just that if he's out, we'll be forced into tank mode. Since Noc would be getting more minutes at the 3, Tyrus/Noah might get PT they might not get otherwise at the 4, and the loss of offense with Deng out would make us bad enough that we might get a good pick. Deng out now might actually be better for us long-term.
moonrod
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by moonrod » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:08 am

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:Am I a terrible person if part of me hopes that Deng is out at least just for a little while? It's not that I wish any harm on him, it's just that if he's out, we'll be forced into tank mode. Since Noc would be getting more minutes at the 3, Tyrus/Noah might get PT they might not get otherwise at the 4, and the loss of offense with Deng out would make us bad enough that we might get a good pick. Deng out now might actually be better for us long-term.

I think that's a logical way to think. None of us enjoy seeing the bulls lose. You've pretty much stated the 2 main reasons why it's even somewhat acceptable:

We get to play/develop the young bigs more.
We get a better shot at a high draft pick.

Unfortunately I don't think this is the direction the team wants to go in, but injuries changes all of this quickly.
Que Pasa?
newskoolbulls
Banned User

Post#8 » by newskoolbulls » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:09 am

Man what a terriable season for Deng, and it continues to get worse. Playing with the back injury still and now his achillies, no wonder this guy cant even buy a string of good games.
RagingBull
Ballboy

Post#9 » by RagingBull » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:17 am

moonrod wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think that's a logical way to think. None of us enjoy seeing the bulls lose. You've pretty much stated the 2 main reasons why it's even somewhat acceptable:

We get to play/develop the young bigs more.
We get a better shot at a high draft pick.

Unfortunately I don't think this is the direction the team wants to go in, but injuries changes all of this quickly.

Living in LA and watching a Laker team go 26-13 last season before injuries occurred to Odom, Mihm, and Walton... Losing your best or second best player puts a cramp on the season and the best case scenario is limping into the playoffs and get walloped by a higher seed team. Barely sneaking into the playoffs or getting a high draft pick?!? Eh, I hate to pick one of the two...
Mapelgleaf
Assistant Coach
And1: 280

Post#10 » by Mapelgleaf » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:43 am

Losing Deng will not cause us to be that much dratically worse.

You guys assume Deng is that much better than our core.... he's not. He's just an above average, non all-star player.

We would still eek into the playoffs and get knocked out.

We need injuries to Deng AND Gordon.... time to break out the crowbar??
Websites • SEO • Graphic Design
http://www.AstuteWebGroup.com
whonka
Head Coach
And1: 524

Post#11 » by whonka » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:38 pm

bet he wishes he signed that contract now
TB#1
Banned User

Post#12 » by TB#1 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:01 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs ... &cset=true

Deng may be left cooling his heels
Achilles' injury ends his night early, may cost him more time
By K.C. Johnson | Tribune staff reporter
12:49 AM CST, January 4, 2008

With all Luol Deng accomplished last season, often he said playing all 82 games meant the most.

A back injury already cost him three games earlier this season, and now Deng is suffering from tightness in his left Achilles' tendon that knocked him out of Thursday's second half.

"It started in the New York game [Dec. 30]," Deng said. "It has been nagging me, but I've been playing through it and getting treatment. I went up for a jumper and came down and it tightened up real bad on me."

Deng said he would undergo a magnetic resonance imaging test Friday and doesn't know if he can play in Saturday's home game against the Kings.

Deng scored two points on 1-of-5 shooting in 14 minutes, the fourth time Deng has failed to reach double figures this season. Last season Deng reached double figures in 78 of 82 games.
tclg
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by tclg » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:11 pm

Hopefully deng is ok if he is not I want him to sit and heal
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#14 » by BigUps » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:15 pm

It's getting to the point of officially labeling Deng as "injury prone".

I would typically give young kids like Luol a break from labeling them, but now in his 4th year he's done nothing to shake the label. Wrist, back and now his achilles tendon. I'm hoping its still growing pains and once he packs on more muscle he'll be alright, but the injuries are a concern for me.
TB#1
Banned User

Post#15 » by TB#1 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:16 pm

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketba ... 04.article

Ailing Deng forced out

January 4, 2008
BY BRIAN HANLEY

Bulls forward Luol Deng left the game Thursday against the Portland Trail Blazers early in the second quarter with tightness in his left Achilles tendon, an injury he revealed has bothered him since the Bulls' road victory Sunday against the New York Knicks.

Deng said he hopes to have an MRI exam today.

A real heartbreaker ''It's been nagging me,'' he said. ''But I've been playing through it and getting treatment. Today I went up for a jump shot, came down, and it tightened up on me.''

Guard Thabo Sefolosha was unavailable because of a sprained right ankle.
tclg
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by tclg » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:42 pm

I think his back injury is causing him to overcompensate in other areas subconsciously. I think he needs to sit out as long as he needs to recover
NLK
Head Coach

Post#17 » by NLK » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:02 pm

ManicBullsFan wrote:
NLK wrote:To me this is very concerning (esp. from someone who has just torn his about a year ago). Anything regarding any tendons is. I hope they look at it via MRIs etc., and get a good feel how serious this may be.
:crazy:

What did I say that warranted my quote as :crazy:? Just wondering, not bitter. If I had to be bitter, it'd be about the loss. :evil:
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,083
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#18 » by Clint Eastwood » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:35 pm

there goes his trade value. but gordon is playing great, so maybe he has the trade value now. which in the long run is preferred by most here.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,302

Post#19 » by kodo » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:03 pm

BigUps wrote:It's getting to the point of officially labeling Deng as "injury prone".

Exactly the words in my mind when i heard about this. Especially being so very young, and he gets time off whenever he's hurt, it's not like he's forced to play through injuries like Grant Hill was.

This team's foundation is looking very shaky.
NLK
Head Coach

Post#20 » by NLK » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:29 pm

Granville Colter wrote:there goes his trade value. but gordon is playing great, so maybe he has the trade value now. which in the long run is preferred by most here.

I am in the minority then for moving BG.

Bigups & Kodo, I'm not ready to label Deng injury prone yet. I'd say wait on what the medical staff say regarding the Achilles strain (which can happen to anyone). I think he'll be fine two weeks.

Return to Chicago Bulls