Image Image Image Image

Peavy to White Sox (Take Two) Done

SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Peavy to White Sox (Take Two) Done 

Post#1 » by SportsWorld » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:40 pm

For Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, and 2 minor leaguers. Peavy accepted I guess. Rumor has it he won't be back until late August but this has to give the White Sox a top 5 rotation in baseball.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Re: Peavy to White Sox (Take Two) Done 

Post#2 » by Pax for Prez » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:09 pm

With this move .... does Colon go to the pen or is another move coming ?
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#3 » by SportsWorld » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:12 pm

Pax for Prez wrote:With this move .... does Colon go to the pen or is another move coming ?

Colon went to the DL a few days ago. DJ Carrasco will start tonight and I heard Torres could take Clayton Richard's spot in the rotation. Peavy won't be back until late August. Not a very good short term move for the White Sox but a very good long-term move.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#4 » by TNBT » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:46 pm

I actually liked Richard, so I'm sorry to see him go. As for Peavy, I don't know anything about him so I don't know if I should be happy or sad. I'm talking to my girl at the moment and she was saying that he was probably top 10 in the NL, but the NL has **** pitching. Someone tell me he's better than that! :lol:
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#5 » by SportsWorld » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:04 pm

He's probably top 5 in the NL when healthy. Actually he could be the best pitcher in the NL.

Edit: After Lincecum of course.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,341

Post#6 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:10 pm

You can talk sports with your girl? That must be so awesome, you're a very lucky man.I got Sox/Angel tickets for my wife and I 2 rows up first base side right behind the dugout and she probably watched an innings worth the whole game.At least I'll have my kids and we'll all ditch her later on when they get older. Back to the topic at hand Peavy was a beast in San Diego. I worry he might be on the down swing of his career how much loger does his deal go for?
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#7 » by SportsWorld » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:17 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:You can talk sports with your girl? That must be so awesome, you're a very lucky man.I got Sox/Angel tickets for my wife and I 2 rows up first base side right behind the dugout and she probably watched an innings worth the whole game.At least I'll have my kids and we'll all ditch her later on when they get older. Back to the topic at hand Peavy was a beast in San Diego. I worry he might be on the down swing of his career how much loger does his deal go for?

His contract goes until 2012 with an option year for 2013.
cold5
Veteran
And1: 115

Post#8 » by cold5 » Sat Aug 1, 2009 12:22 am

Could be a pretty good deal especially if you guys are still within a reasonable amount of games back by late august/september and if you get in playoffs it's a nasty rotation. But if you guys don't am I the only one who thinks that the Sox should retool, deal Peavy for more than they got him for (much like the Holliday deals) and get rid of veterans.
G I N T
Bench Warmer
And1: 202

Post#9 » by G I N T » Sat Aug 1, 2009 2:46 am

San Diego deals Jake Peavy to Chicago in 5-player blockbuster trade
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4369814

What an incredible move by Ken Williams. This guy is simply one of the league's best general managers period.

Last year he trades for two no names who turn out to be stars in Quentin and Ramirez. He pulled off that deal for John Danks with Texas a few years back, and he was the reason the Sox were able to make it to the playoffs by pitching the game of his life and shutting down Minnesota in the tie-breaker last year.

Now he lands a Cy Young caliber pitcher who has a strong case for being top 5 when he's at his best? Unbelievable.

Even if Peavy isn't healthy this year, this puts the Sox in a great position next year with arguably the best rotation in the league.

1. Buehrle
2. Peavy
3. Danks
4. Floyd
5. Doesn't really matter who the 5th starter is when your 1-4 is that good.

One of Buehrle or Peavy will be the #2, which is pretty impressive because both of these guys are #1 aces.

Now I really don't care what Reinsdorf does with the Bulls. This move makes the White Sox a serious threat for years and years.
Ruskie33
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Ruskie33 » Sat Aug 1, 2009 6:53 am

Great trade....but I can't help but think back to the days when the lack of a 5th starter killed us... Kenny is going to have to find some more money to get a solid 5th if this team plans on getting division championships in the years to come. I hope management learned their lesson.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#11 » by transplant » Sat Aug 1, 2009 9:31 am

WOW!

I'll say this for him, Kenny Williams has cojones the size of beach balls and they're made of solid brass.

The Sox gave up a lot, but Peavy's a 28 year old elite pitcher and is signed to a reasonable (for an elite starter) contract for this and the next 2 seasons. They'll need to lock up Danks, and if they can do that, they figure to have as good a 1 through 4 as any team in baseball, tailor-made to be scary in the postseason. Now, all they need to do is get there.

Kenny, you make me nervous...but in a good way.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by TNBT » Sat Aug 1, 2009 10:39 am

cold5 wrote:Could be a pretty good deal especially if you guys are still within a reasonable amount of games back by late august/september and if you get in playoffs it's a nasty rotation. But if you guys don't am I the only one who thinks that the Sox should retool, deal Peavy for more than they got him for (much like the Holliday deals) and get rid of veterans.

I'm not really sure how I feel about that idea. We have some guys like Dye, Podsednik, Wise, Thome, Konerko, AJ, etc who are getting older, so the idea of moving them for young guys while they're still good enough to bring in a decent return in a trade appeals. However, I don't think this team is very far off being one of the elite teams in the majors. We have Quentin, Ramirez, Beckham, Getz, Fields, Danks, Floyd and now Peavy who are all still young enough and are either entering their primes or are still a couple of years away. I think with that as a core, all we need to do is make some minor moves to fill in holes, and assuming everyone stays healthy, that team will compete.
limpdilznik
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#13 » by limpdilznik » Sat Aug 1, 2009 2:39 pm

it was a great deal by Kenny Williams. Richard has some good stuff and he'll greatly benefit playing in Petco. I've only seen Poreda a few times but acquiring Peavy was worth it

in a sense the Sox are retooling and competing. They play in an average Central division so it doesn't matter that youngsters Getz, Beckhman, etc are getting a chance to play. The Sox offense is still reliant on the long ball but they've added some speed/balance to the lineup (anyone see the game against the yanks game last nite?).

There's more changes to come in the offseason. Thome and Contreras big contracts expire at years end. Maybe JDye returns next year as the DH
Scottie Pippen: We were just very confidence
cold5
Veteran
And1: 115

Post#14 » by cold5 » Sat Aug 1, 2009 5:56 pm

The Next Big Thing wrote:
cold5 wrote:Could be a pretty good deal especially if you guys are still within a reasonable amount of games back by late august/september and if you get in playoffs it's a nasty rotation. But if you guys don't am I the only one who thinks that the Sox should retool, deal Peavy for more than they got him for (much like the Holliday deals) and get rid of veterans.

I'm not really sure how I feel about that idea. We have some guys like Dye, Podsednik, Wise, Thome, Konerko, AJ, etc who are getting older, so the idea of moving them for young guys while they're still good enough to bring in a decent return in a trade appeals. However, I don't think this team is very far off being one of the elite teams in the majors. We have Quentin, Ramirez, Beckham, Getz, Fields, Danks, Floyd and now Peavy who are all still young enough and are either entering their primes or are still a couple of years away. I think with that as a core, all we need to do is make some minor moves to fill in holes, and assuming everyone stays healthy, that team will compete.

Isn't Fields having an issue with Williams? But possibly that's the thing. You keep that young talent, move the old guys and possibly Peavy and two-three years you have a pretty good team. Dye, Thome, Konerko the cornerstone guys of your lineup aren't getting any better in years to come. You need to either package them for good young prospects or try and sign good free agents which is always an iffy prospect. But the biggest mistake Williams made this deadline was not getting a closer. It seemed to that Jenks lost it in the series at the dome in September last year and it seems that way through this summer. As long as you guys were talking with the Padres I don't see why you didn't try and get Heath Bell. As long as Williams wanted to go all out for this year, I don't see why he didn't just empty the farm out and get Peavy, Bell, and Gonzalez. Williams wasn't afraid to deal top-tier prospects for Mike Macdougal and Nick Swisher so I'm surprised he wasn't now. Now that would have been even ballsier than the Peavy deal already was.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by TNBT » Sun Aug 2, 2009 11:17 am

cold5 wrote:
The Next Big Thing wrote:

Isn't Fields having an issue with Williams? But possibly that's the thing. You keep that young talent, move the old guys and possibly Peavy and two-three years you have a pretty good team. Dye, Thome, Konerko the cornerstone guys of your lineup aren't getting any better in years to come. You need to either package them for good young prospects or try and sign good free agents which is always an iffy prospect. But the biggest mistake Williams made this deadline was not getting a closer. It seemed to that Jenks lost it in the series at the dome in September last year and it seems that way through this summer. As long as you guys were talking with the Padres I don't see why you didn't try and get Heath Bell. As long as Williams wanted to go all out for this year, I don't see why he didn't just empty the farm out and get Peavy, Bell, and Gonzalez. Williams wasn't afraid to deal top-tier prospects for Mike Macdougal and Nick Swisher so I'm surprised he wasn't now. Now that would have been even ballsier than the Peavy deal already was.

Yeah, from what I have read, Fields isn't too happy with the situation. I don't think he has asked for a trade like Anderson did, but I'm sure he would be happy to leave if and offer was made. I like him as a player so I would like to see him stick around. It must be kind of tough for him though, given he was expected to take over 3rd when Crede left, but now Beckham has come in and made the spot his own for the next decade or so. I would like to keep Fields, so I hope they can find enough gametime for him backing up both 3rd and 1st.
limpdilznik
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#16 » by limpdilznik » Sun Aug 2, 2009 1:47 pm

Kenny Williams dealt top prospects for the Mike Macdougal? haha you've got to be kidding me, Tyler Lumsden's agent

Kenny has guts, but he's not an idiot

The Next Big Thing: I'm not sure if Fields will be back in the big leagues with the Sox (barring injury). the arrival of Kotsay sealed his fate
Scottie Pippen: We were just very confidence
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by TNBT » Sun Aug 2, 2009 3:59 pm

Yeah, I noticed that Kotsay had replaced Fields as the backup on 1st on the White Sox website depth chart.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,701

Post#18 » by nitetrain8603 » Sun Aug 2, 2009 4:20 pm

Tyler Lumsden was one time considered the 58th best prospect in baseball. He never panned out. The great thing about Kenny is he knows his minor league system better than anyone. Honestly, the only prospect he ever gave up that was really worth a damn was Frankie Francisco. The rest never panned out or they haven't hit the majors yet.

As far as Fields goes, he did ask for a trade the day after Anderson was traded which is when he was sent down. KW was going to try and accomodate him, but he couldn't find a team or package worth giving a look to.

Richard will make a good 3rd starter at Petco because it's so huge, and he has good enough stuff to get by. He works really fast because his mentor on the team was Mark Buehrle and has seemed to turn a corner. His fastball, curve combo is pretty nice. He was a nice get for SD.

Poreda has as much control as Rick Ankiel had, his fastball never reached 98-99 like it was advertised on any MLB gun, and he has yet to develop any type of resemblance to a secondary pitch.

Russell was not in the Sox plans anymore as he was given many chances. He's a hard thrower though.

Dexter Carter is the guy SD could really use if he does pan out. Has a huge strikeout rate and electric stuff. The only thing is, he's wild right now which he's able to get away with in A ball. If he pans out, he could be a very good #2 starter.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by TNBT » Sun Aug 2, 2009 4:28 pm

Thanks for the breakdown of all the guys in the trade. I was a bit of a fan of Richard, and I know Poreda has been talked about as having nice potential, but I had no idea who the other two guys were.
Shootdabull
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#20 » by Shootdabull » Mon Aug 3, 2009 10:17 pm

Kenny get his guy. I like the move its usually hard to add quality starters and he'll be a number one or number two. Richards was pitching better as of late, but I was never a big fan. I think losing Poreda may come back to haunt us in the long term. Hopefully Jake will be able to come back latter this year and give us boost for the playoff drive. Good thing the division is down this year.

Return to Chicago White Sox