Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Trade to benefit Masset 

Post#1 » by el loco » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:46 pm

Trade to Reds may benefit Masset
Right-hander could start after being used in relief by White Sox
By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- Nick Masset woke up Thursday morning to the news of a potential major trade involving Ken Griffey, Jr. and the White Sox.
It wasn't until approximately 15 minutes later that the right-hander found out he was part of said deal.

"Kenny said he really had to make a move right now to get another bat in the lineup," Masset told MLB.com of his talk with White Sox general manager Ken Williams in regard to being part of the Griffey trade, which also sent infielder Danny Richar to the Reds, and is pending approval from the Commissioner's Office.

"He also told me how this helps me, giving me the opportunity to be a starter," Masset added. "He said that he put in some good words about me to the Reds. I really respect Kenny for that part. I think it's going to be a win-win situation for both teams."

Masset, 26, came to the White Sox as part of the Brandon McCarthy trade with Texas on Dec. 23, 2006. While John Danks was the cornerstone of this particular deal, Williams was just as excited to have added a plus-arm such as Masset's at the time.

Moving to the bullpen proved to be a tough adjustment for Masset, not unlike the pitcher for whom he was originally traded, as he posted a 2-3 record and 7.09 ERA in 2007. When rosters expanded last September, Masset was not called back to the Majors.

But he lost 25 pounds before coming into Spring Training, 2008, and had more life on his fastball. Masset served primarily as a middle reliever this season, with a few opportunities later in the game, and leaves the White Sox with a 1-0 record and 4.63 ERA in 44 2/3 innings.

In 59 games for the White Sox, Masset made two starts. One of those stood up as the lone victory for the South Siders over the Cubs in 2007.

"Ultimately, I think it's going to really open up my future as a starter," said Masset of the move to the Reds. "I'm really looking forward to being a starter, if that's where they want me to fit.

"That's something I always wanted to do, and I'm excited to head over to the National League. But I also have a lot of great friendships with the guys over here, and it's tough leaving a first place team in contention for the playoffs. It's tough leaving the White Sox."

As of noon, Masset had not heard from the Reds, but he did add one interesting twist from the trade. Masset's favorite baseball player to watch growing up was none other than Ken Griffey, Jr.

"Being a big leaguer for a little while now, you understand the business of the game," Masset said. "It's the way it goes, who fits in best in which role."

Return to Cincinnati Reds