Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Reds closing in on deal with Rhodes 

Post#1 » by el loco » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:02 pm

Reds closing in on deal with Rhodes
Veteran reliever has excelled against left-handed hitters
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

LAS VEGAS -- A deal that would bring left-handed reliever Arthur Rhodes appears to be close.
FOXsports.com reported Thursday that the Reds and Rhodes have an agreement on a two-year, $4 million contract, pending a physical. Industry sources told MLB.com, however, that there were still some details to be worked out.

When asked about the report, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty would not comment.

The Reds were considered one of three finalists competing for the services of Rhodes.

Last season for the Mariners and Marlins, the 39-year-old Rhodes was 4-1 with a 2.04 ERA in 61 games. After a July 31 trade to Florida, he posted a 0.68 ERA in 25 games.

A situational lefty, Rhodes held left-handed hitters to a .157 (11-for-70) average last season, while right-handers batted .309 (17-for-55). Over his 17-year big league career, lefties have batted .221 against him while righties have batted .245.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/art ... p&c_id=cin
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Re: Reds closing in on deal with Rhodes 

Post#2 » by el loco » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:07 pm

If this deal goes through like and it appears that it will, I like the signing.

Going into the winter meetings our team needs were, a left hander out of the pen, a solid catcher and a right handed hitting left fielder. So far we have met two of the three needs.

Jockety does what he says, so far I am impressed with the way he has gone out and done things.

At the moment we only have 3 outfielders under contract. Bruce, Dickerson, and Hopper, so that should be our area of need for the rest of the offseason. I still like the trade idea of Jermaine Dye for Homer Bailey.

Return to Cincinnati Reds