Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Exploring the Hernandez trade 

Post#1 » by el loco » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:11 pm

Mailbag: Exploring the Hernandez trade
Beat reporter Mark Sheldon answers Reds fans' questions
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

With the recent trade of Ryan Freel to Baltimore, that leaves the Reds with Jay Bruce, Norris Hopper and Chris Dickerson in the outfield. Am I the only one who thinks they made a really bad deal? If those three start in the outfield, outside of Bruce, where is power going to come from?
-- Matt D., Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Roll your chair one foot back from the computer screen, close your eyes and breathe. Then repeat several times to yourself, "There's two months left until Spring Training."

There is plenty of time to add another outfielder, perhaps two or three. There is no chance the Reds will go to camp with just three outfielders on the 40-man roster. Adding depth to this area has been their top priority this winter, especially one who hits right-handed for power.

Maybe you can explain to me the rationale behind the Reds getting Ramon Hernandez. I don't understand. I'm good with shipping off Freel, but in Hernandez, they are spending $8 million next year on a 32-year-old catcher who is not spectacular. I think they'd have been better off giving David Ross one more year or sticking with Ryan Hanigan or Javier Valentin.
-- Jason L., Las Vegas

I'm not going to say Hernandez is the greatest catcher since Johnny Bench. He's had a decent career, but the step backwards he took defensively (20 percent caught-stealing rate) last year concerns me, as did letting his frustration with the Orioles affect his play.

But the Reds needed someone to catch, and they did OK by getting one who still can hit well without giving up a whole lot in return. Freel has been hurt most of the last two years, and I didn't envision him being in the plans.

Hanigan had a nice showing late last season, but he's 28 and not exactly a young prospect. Hanigan will be a strong backup, and if he does well to build from last season, he still could improve his status in 2010.

As for the financials, the Reds got $2 million cash in the trade with the Orioles. Factor in Freel's $4 million salary, for a guy they didn't have a spot for anymore, and Cincinnati added just $2 million to its payroll for an everyday catcher it needed.

I think Reds general manager Walt Jocketty is being too conservative on the free-agent market. I think he needs to be a little more aggressive. What do you think?
-- Dalton C., Lynchburg, Ohio

I wouldn't use the word conservative. Instead, I'd say Jocketty is being patient, and that it's not a bad thing. Until the last few days, the market hasn't exactly been on fire. Why potentially overpay in December for the same players who could become bargains in January? Indications are that many of the players the Reds like could be around for a while. And like last year, league-wide, some deals could wait all the way into Spring Training.

At the Winter Meetings, Jocketty said he was going to come in contact with Pat Burrell. What are the Reds' chances of signing him?
-- Brandon, Valley, Neb.

The chances of the Reds signing Burrell are better than I originally thought, but still not great. As I answered in the previous question, the market hasn't been so great for many free agents. Burrell's price could come down closer to the Reds' neighborhood, but he still won't come cheap -- especially if things pick up.

Did the Reds make any attempt to get reliever Jeremy Affeldt back? And, why was he so quick to sign with the Giants?
-- Mat A., Cincinnati

That was one instance in which the Reds' patience cost them. I don't think anyone expected Affeldt to be the first free agent in the league to change teams and sign. Then again, his agent must have been pretty smart. He took a look at the landscape and the two-year, $8 million offer and told his client to jump on it. It'd be hard to top that, especially as the winter goes forward.

I heard about the idea of a Jermaine Dye-for-Homer Bailey trade rumor. Why not do it? Dye has power, a good average and would be a leader for a young team. I think both the White Sox and Reds would benefit from this trade if it was done.
-- Kevin D., Fort Wayne, Ind.

Dye's $11.5 million salary was a roadblock in the deal, and the Reds felt giving up a 22-year-old like Bailey for Dye, who is in the last guaranteed year of his contract, was too much of a price.

What is the date when Reds pitchers and catchers officially report to camp this year?
-- Dave A., Hamilton, Ohio

Pitchers and catchers will report on Feb. 14, while position players report on Feb. 17.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/art ... p&c_id=cin

Return to Cincinnati Reds