ImageImageImageImage

Barfield to honor Jackie Robinson with no.42

LoveThemCavs
Analyst
And1: 143

Barfield to honor Jackie Robinson with no.42 

Post#1 » by LoveThemCavs » Fri Apr 6, 2007 6:56 pm

"It's a great tribute to a great man," Barfield said of the jersey idea, which was initiated by the Reds' Ken Griffey Jr. "It's cool to see everyone around the league wearing it. I'll be honored to wear it."

The Indians are petitioning Major League Baseball for the right to pay a similar tribute to Larry Doby, who became the first black player in the American League when he suited up for Cleveland on July 5, 1947.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

There will be more I'm sure, but here's the list of players I've seen so far that will be honoring Jackie Robinson. Ken Griffey Jr, Gary Sheffield, Barry Bonds, Derek Lee, Willie Randolph, Dmitri Young, Mike Cameron, Carlos Lee, Josh Barfield, Coco Crisp and Orlando Hudson. CC is also going to wear the number on the bench. Barfield probably wouldn't be wearing it if CC was scheduled to pitch that day.
El Scorcho
Senior
And1: 0

Post#2 » by El Scorcho » Fri Apr 6, 2007 11:46 pm

I think it's great that they're honoring Jackie Robinson but I think Bonds shouldn't disgrace the man's name by wearing his number.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#3 » by B Mac » Sun Apr 8, 2007 5:36 am

I thought I heard that the entire Padre team was going to wear it. Anyone else hear that?
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#4 » by Icness » Mon Apr 9, 2007 6:38 pm

I was under the impression that every African American MLBer was going to do it now. Really cool idea, I love it. Might have to re-read "Baseball's Great Experiment" by Jules Tygiel once again; great honest look at Jackie and what he meant to America, not just baseball.

Return to Cleveland Indians