ImageImageImageImage

2012 Playoffs Tigers on the way to World Series

joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Re: 2012 Playoffs Tigers on the way to World Series 

Post#101 » by joseph mamah » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:03 pm

wow, definitely didnt see a sweep coming a week ago. :noway:

Leylands nonchalance about the whole thing in his interview really bothered me, im praying hes not coming back next year.

on the bright side with VMart coming back and if DD can make the right tweaks, next years team should be better. if VMart comes back even close to the same guy he was last season he alone will make a huge difference. I hope Sanchez didnt pitch himself out of our price range, hopefully we bring him back.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#102 » by TSE » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:10 pm

^
Well if you refer to my post in the offseason thread about how I saw we can live without a dozen of our non-pitchers, then since we should be secure with our top 3 hitters of Cabby, Fielder, and Ajax, we really have nothing to lose of any consequence, thus only improvements to likely gain. I'd be hard pressed to think we won't be better next year no matter what we do. Agreed with Leyland, he's a terrible Manager and doesn't coach well or make tactical strategy decisions well, and unless he can figure the game out at a high level and improve his weaknesses, then he has to go. I mentioned this on another site the other day, but basically we pick the wrong players, don't coach them to their max potential, don't utilize proper strategy, and that's a triple set of categories we penalize ourselves on that can flat out be factored out simply through intelligence and mental will power.

The game of baseball has enough laws of probability involved with determining your results that the secret to being efficient and strong in this sport has to do with not taking voluntary deductions to your overall worth. That's where we fail. It's just a bad and irresponsible choice that we make to poison ourselves.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#103 » by Manocad » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:20 pm

So admit that you were wrong when you posted that it's "all about the leadership." It's not "all" about the leadership; if it were, the players not producing wouldn't factor in. And it did.
TSE
Banned User

Post#104 » by TSE » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:29 pm

Manocad wrote:So admit that you were wrong when you posted that it's "all about the leadership." It's not "all" about the leadership; if it were, the players not producing wouldn't factor in. And it did.

The players not producing is part of probability. That's not something one can control. One can only control coaching them the best that they can be coached, and managed. Probability is not a controllable factor, and the leadership controls the coaching, the managing, and the choices that can create for the best odds in any given situation, and the rest is up to chance. So I'm absolutely and incontrovertibly correct in that it's all about the leadership. If you aren't comfortable with the "chance" you leave yourself, then it's up to you as the leader to arrange for other choices that you are happy with in terms of everything you can control.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#105 » by joseph mamah » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:26 pm

joseph mamah wrote:wow, definitely didnt see a sweep coming a week ago. :noway:

Leylands nonchalance about the whole thing in his interview really bothered me, im praying hes not coming back next year.

on the bright side with VMart coming back and if DD can make the right tweaks, next years team should be better. if VMart comes back even close to the same guy he was last season he alone will make a huge difference. I hope Sanchez didnt pitch himself out of our price range, hopefully we bring him back.

well looks like Jimmies coming back to ruin our chances yet again next year. smmfh :banghead:

I think ill just emotionally check out now and save myself the heartache of another wasted season. :sleep:
TSE
Banned User

Post#106 » by TSE » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:36 pm

joseph mamah wrote:well looks like Jimmies coming back to ruin our chances yet again next year. smmfh :banghead:

I think ill just emotionally check out now and save myself the heartache of another wasted season. :sleep:

Well with only have 3 significantly valuable offensive players, we have a tremendous capacity to improve and it would take a major disaster for us not to, especially considering VMart will be added into the mix on top of any upgrades we find on offense from here. With how terrible the competition is in our division, it would be highly improbable for us to not win the division by a larger margin next year, so I would say a non-WC playoff berth is an automatic cinch. As bad as we were this year, we still cruised to the WS so we likely will have a legit shot to get back there again since the regular season will be nothing but a formality. It's going to be a long season of 162 near pointless games because of the lack of any threat to keep us out of the playoffs.

So don't bang your head against the wall too much!
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#107 » by joseph mamah » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:48 pm

its just frustrating, we did what we did this season pretty much despite Leyland, then hes going to sit in his postgame interview and basically say he could care less that they just got swept in the World Series. if thats the case then he should just retire if hes lost his passion for the game. if the managers not even emotionally invested in the team, why the h*** should I be.

but honestly, of course im going to be there opening day rooting for the Tigers, ive been a fan for too long and the team has too much potential for me not to. I just really thought we had seen the last of Leyland. at the very least I wanted Lamonts head on a platter, and it doesnt look like thats going to happen either.
TSE
Banned User

Post#108 » by TSE » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:56 pm

^
I just made a similar post earlier today about Leyland where I chimed in with some pros/cons, so I'll use that similar reply here and add in the excerpt here I replied to:

from TigerTales -

Leyland's harshest critics say that he is out of touch with the modern game and constantly complain about his line-ups, bullpen usage and his loyalty to sub-par performers. I certainly criticize some of his moves and I think the Tigers management is sometimes too old school for my tastes. However, I would say the same things about a lot of managers and teams.

TSE reply-

Well I'm THE harshest Leyland critic in the world, I'm fairly confident of that. I would add terrible gameday strategy tactics and failing to coach up the players he does have to get the most out of them to the list.

I also have said that despite all of my criticisms that he'd be my first choice as the Manager if he could simply hire somebody to help him shore up his areas of weakness.

All of the stuff he fails at is mental, and if he had the right partners to provide him with what he is lacking, then he'd be a HOF quality Manager and nobody would be a more ideal choice to take this team forward than him.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#109 » by Manocad » Sun Nov 4, 2012 1:21 pm

TSE wrote:So I'm absolutely and incontrovertibly correct in that it's all about the leadership.

No, you're absolutely wrong, and your post proves it--you contradicted yourself. If it's "all about the leadership" then there is no "chance" factor. There would be no other factors in play but the leadership.

Quite a nonsensical concept you're purporting.
TSE
Banned User

Post#110 » by TSE » Sun Nov 4, 2012 4:51 pm

^
Sorry I don't follow you on that or agree, you have it quite backwards.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#111 » by Manocad » Mon Nov 5, 2012 4:56 am

If it's "all" about the leadership, then no other factors matter. Perhaps you suffer from a reading comprehension problem. It's not about agreeing or disagreeing; you've contradicted your own claim, plain and simple. Yes, I know this burns your ass. Go ahead and crush those keys, champ.
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#112 » by KnickerBonkerz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:03 pm

^Sorry you're wrong, there are no other factors that contribute to winning besides leadership.

/green font

Return to Detroit Tigers