ImageImageImageImage

2011 Season Thread

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: 2011 Season Thread 

Post#121 » by Manocad » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:13 pm

I tend to agree that that's how it will play out but I think you could make a VERY strong case for Verlander for MVP. It looks like he's on his way to a triple crown Cy Young win, and he'll wind up being responsible for over 25% of the team's wins. That's pretty damn impressive in this age. Granderson has put up some very solid numbers but they're really only eye-popping for him. 40HR/120RBI (probably about where he'll end up) generally isn't quite super strong MVP material, especially when coupled with a pretty average .268 batting average, pretty high strikeout total, and 24 stolen bases while being caught 10 times. Don't get me wrong, that's a fine season based on run production alone. But when you consider which player is more dominant in the league and therefore having higher value in a league sense, i.e. most valuable to any given team, I don't see how Verlander doesn't easily win that argument.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#122 » by TSE » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:18 pm

I think baseball voters will want to vote for Verlander more than those top 3 hitters. And those 3 hitters have such good cases that it's an unusual year with 3 legit offensive choices, so that should dillute the competition for the non-pitchers, and if there was ever a year for a pitcher to win it, this looks like a perfect set of conditions. As long as Verlander improves his numbers or they don't drop a relevant amount from one bad outing, I think he's going to win. I wouldn't vote for him though, I think all 3 of the top offensive players were "more valuable" than JV this year. Bautista clearly is the top "performer" of the year, so he has a case for that. AGon is the only of the 4 guys that plays on a relatively cheap contract, so to be arguably the most valuable player while also saving his team a ton of money to get another player for the same investment as those other guys is what makes a case for him.

Granderson has stats inbetween them, but he also is a good CF which is a valuable plus, so for me it's a REALLY tiny separation between the "best performer" - JB, the technically "most valuable" - AG, and the guy that is a perfect marriage of the dynamics in between - CG. I would personally vote for Verlander to be 4th despite the fact that I predict him to actually win it, although If I was starting a new baseball team and could have one guy for free I would choose Verlander for long-term value and strategy and worth, but this award is not a timeless award, it only considers the interval of time that is this one year, and who is most valuable to a franchise is different than who was most valuable this year. i.e. I wouldn't be surprised to see Verlander pitch 10 more good years right now, but I would be surprised to see Jose Bautista slug .600+ 10 more years right now.

Here's my % breakdown to show how I would rank them and position them:

1) AGon 27% - too much production for too little money and on a playoff team

2) JB 26% - way too much production to not be #1, but since his team is not in the playoffs and he makes double the $ as AG I'm going to use those 2 factors to edge AG over him, JB thus deserves to lose by the smallest amount imaginable.

3) CG 24% - I think the stud hitter and CF should be one tiny iota ahead of JV

4) JV 23% - leftover

So you can see just how tight the race should be inbetween the voting placements, and to have 4 guys that should fit so tightly close makes it really exciting.

My predictions of what actually will happen will be the same tight range, but the order of:
1 - JV
2 - CG (you think baseball powers are going to pick a non-sexy Red Sox player over the lovable and popular Grandy the Yankee, yeah no flippin' way)
3 - JB (people won't want to be embarrassed making him 4th)
4 - AG (who cares about this guy, we already snubbed him, and he will go away the quietest in 4th place as compared to any of those other 3 hotshots, so he's the victim and scapegoat)
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#123 » by ajaX82 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:56 am

AL Central Champs!!!
Manocad
RealGM

Post#124 » by Manocad » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Now to catch the Yankees and get home field throughout the AL playoffs.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,195

Post#125 » by ElectricMayhem » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:10 am

Any way we could still sign Casey Fien and Brent Dlugach for the playoffs? They're currently not in the MLB, but from what I've read, they have mad potential.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Manocad
RealGM

Post#126 » by Manocad » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:22 am

:lol:
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#127 » by ajaX82 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:53 am