ImageImageImageImage

Tigers get Fister and David Pauley

RustInPeace
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Tigers get Fister and David Pauley 

Post#1 » by RustInPeace » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:14 pm

Solid move. I like Wells and Furbush but Fister fits nicely as a #3 starter. Pauley is due for regression but he's still going to be a solid improvement over what we have. Giving up F-Mart kinda puts me off. I'm weary of the PTBNL though, as we gave a choice of Castellanos, Smyly and Chance Ruffin. I'm hoping
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Re: Tigers get Fister and David Pauley 

Post#2 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:22 am

the Tigers gave up 27-year-old rookie outfielder Casper Wells, left-handed pitcher Charlie Furbush — both of whom had been up and down with the big-league club — as well as Double-A third baseman Francisco Martinez and a player-to-be-named-later.Castellanos, Smyly or Chance Ruffin

“You don’t make trades that don’t help both sides. We gave up a lot, we knew we gave up a lot,

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles ... 747806.txt
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#3 » by TSE » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:18 am

Wow the PTBNL is 3 quality names WTF? I didn't like the deal without the PTBNL. Oh well, just another instance where we are selling out bigger pieces of the future for lesser pieces in the present, same ol' Tigers, different day.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#4 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:03 pm

Fister is 0-2 with a 6.39 ERA at Comerica Park, by the way.

Also, the problem with looking at Fister’s stats is you don’t take into account the actual pitcher. He doesn’t throw hard, not often hitting 90 mph on the radar gun. How is that going to transfer in road games in August and September?

they traded their second-best prospect — and best position player prospect — third baseman Francisco Martinez

http://www.dailytribune.com/articles/20 ... =fullstory

Famous players traded at MLB trade

John Smoltz was a minor league prospect for the Detroit Tigers when he was traded to the Atlanta Braves in August of 1987. Smoltz wouldn't pitch in the major leagues until the following year, but his impact on the Braves was incalculable as they frequently made the playoffs. The future Hall of Famer could have taken the Tigers to the promised land instead of the Braves, and the 1990s would have been much different for the World Series champs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... cn-8841919

Evaluating recent Tigers trade deadline moves
they only had 1 good trade over the last few years Shortstop Jhonny Peralta

http://www.freep.com/article/20110731/S ... line-moves
TSE
Banned User

Post#5 » by TSE » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:15 pm

And Peralta is having a breakout year that I'm sure the Tigers didn't expect these numbers from him. They had to get lucky to win on that deal, and you can't win at baseball in the long-term on getting lucky, when the deals you make are usually setup for the other teams to win out on the gambles, as we trade the future for the present more often than the average team. We need to do trades that we can win on the logic of the trade, in that we know we are making a good deal at the time the deal is made. We haven't made very many of these deals, they are sooo rare, when they should be commonplace for us given our resources. And those are the only types of deals we should ever entertain!!

We have a LOT more than the majority of other teams and we don't exploit that advantage, rather we let the less fortunate teams leech off us as if we were a charity organization. This team could explode with a good managerial leader moreso and more profoundly than just about any team in sports. Forget about hockey, basketball, and football, there aren't any teams in those leagues that could touch the colossal messes we find in this crazy sport.
RustInPeace
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#6 » by RustInPeace » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:43 pm

First things first: The 'major league' players we gave up in this trade are just spare parts. Wells wasn't getting pt with us anyway, with Maggs/Boesch/Jackson/Dirks/Raburn. He is at best a borderline starting OF. Furbush didn't impress of his opportunity at starter, and shouldn't develop into more than a spot starter/long reliever. Plus, we have enough lefties as is (though they all are below average). F-Mart is a solid prospect but baseball prospects are a complete crapshoot (Boesch and Avila, for example weren't ranked high in the farm system, and look at them now) and we already have another 3B prospect in Castellanos (and I doubt Seattle would want 2 3B prospects in the same trade).

The Peralta deal was meh at first, but we didn't give up ****. Even if we had Peralta play at his career numbers it would have been a good deal.

Take a look at the rest of our targets. We had the best deal out of all our possible choices. COL wanted either one of Max/Rick and Boesch for Ubaldo. Cleveland got swindled by COL by giving up 2 of the top prospects in all of baseball and I'm relieved we didn't top that offer. They're having a fluke year and I would not be surprised if they ended up trading him in next year's deadline. Kuroda wasn't going to the Tigers anyway, and if he did there was no way he'd be staying. Shields was not going anywhere. Marquis and Harang are all trash. Guthrie is trash too, but him and Uehara were an intriguing package. Too bad Texas had to give up a young starter (Tommy Hunter) and another young player to get JUST Uehara.

What are we supposed to do, stay put and keep starting a random Mudhen every 5th day? Rush Turner and make the same mistake as Porcello? The Fister deal was solid and our best option.

And, anyone who mentions Smoltz again should refer to this:

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2011/7/19/2 ... moltzs-law
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#7 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:28 pm

Really solid trade. The guys we gave up were never going to a be a huge part of the future. The PTBNL is a bit concerning, but it certainly won't be Castallanos. If it is Smyly, so be it

Nice work though.
TSE
Banned User

Post#8 » by TSE » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:53 pm

I bet they take Chance Ruffin and don't think twice about the others. I think those guys are just toss-ins that the Tigers hope will serve as bait away from Ruffin. Don't want to offer too many guys in case one from that field breaks out, but it's worth it to try and save Ruffin as he is the higher valued prospect and seems to have already developed or earned an opportunity faster than the others drafted behind him.
TSE
Banned User

Post#9 » by TSE » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:58 pm

RustInPeace wrote:
What are we supposed to do, stay put and keep starting a random Mudhen every 5th day?

I just want them to sell pitchers for young prospects or do the reverse of the trades that we have been doing. We need to sell scrap to the stupid teams that overpay with youth value that is worth more; I just ask for us to operate logically and efficiently and to generate the best baseball profit that is plausible to generate.

I don't ask for much, in fact what I ask for should be a basic component to the GM's contract! And with great power comes great responsibility, this isn't about a bad manager at a McDonald's restaurant, this team represents our city and is a much bigger more important entity that failure to adhere to a minimal acceptable code of responsibility to such a powerful and important post should be against the law! So forgive me for asking for what I ask for, I find it to be atrocious that society doesn't penalize people that fail at high posts, and thus they get off way easy with way too much slack, that asking for the leaders of the team to simply just do a good job is very reasonable of me to demand.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#10 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Aug 3, 2011 10:34 pm

Charley furbrush today for seattle 5 inn 2 hits 3 SO no runs looks like a 5th starter?
TSE
Banned User

Post#11 » by TSE » Wed Aug 3, 2011 11:21 pm

Well good for Seattle if he works out, they deserve it for making a good trade for their team. They really needed to get an extra starter anyhow.
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#12 » by cochiseuofm » Thu Aug 4, 2011 1:47 pm

Fister had a nice first start for the Tigers. He only gave up two earned runs, and one should have never scored. We'll see long term if he is a good pitcher for us, but at the very least I am glad we hung on to Jacob Turner and Porcello, instead of dealing them for Jimenez.
TSE
Banned User

Post#13 » by TSE » Thu Aug 4, 2011 2:58 pm

He looks like a pretty good and reliable pitcher to me. I don't think he has any shot at being the next Greg Maddux, but that's not necessary for him to be useful for the future. He should have a great chance to be average or above average. I wouldn't worry about that too much, we have many more pitchers we'd have to worry about before him. And yeah it was frightening to see Turner almost gone for another horrible deal.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#14 » by ajaX82 » Thu Aug 4, 2011 6:40 pm

cochiseuofm wrote:Fister had a nice first start for the Tigers. He only gave up two earned runs, and one should have never scored. We'll see long term if he is a good pitcher for us, but at the very least I am glad we hung on to Jacob Turner and Porcello, instead of dealing them for Jimenez.

Absolutely. He will fill in the 5 spot nicely I think and we keep the kids. Win-win

Return to Detroit Tigers