ImageImageImageImage

ALCS: Rangers vs Tigers

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Re: ALCS: Rangers vs Tigers 

Post#41 » by kellmellus50 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:19 pm

"Gene Lamont" was trending nationwide Wednesday night. Lamont, the Tigers' third-base coach, asked Miguel Cabrera to run from third base to home on a Delmon Young pop fly in the eighth inning of a tie game, only to discover, to everyone's dismay, that Cabrera can't run. He can hit. He can field. He is a brilliant player. He is even a smart baserunner. But in a sprint, Cabrera's only speed is "Park."

Lamont asked Cabrera to run the 90 feet from third to home, and Cabrera was thrown out by roughly 89 feet. OK, fine: 6 feet. Point is, it wasn't close.So let's look at that decision. I give Cabrera, at best, a 10% chance of scoring

Gene lamont blows it again!!!

http://www.freep.com/article/20111013/C ... s-problems
RustInPeace
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#42 » by RustInPeace » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Had Cabrera not attempted to score, we would have had to rely on Alex Avila to knock those runs in so I don't blame Gene (though I still think he's a bad 3rd base coach). Our best option was probably to pinch hit delmon (who looked terrible in his last at bat) for Don Kelly, which I doubt would make a difference anyway.
RustInPeace
Sixth Man

Post#43 » by RustInPeace » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:32 pm

Simply put, the Rangers are a far superior team than us. Whatever advantage we have in SP matchups is gone when they severely outclass our bullpen and offense.

With that said, the thing that makes baseball great is that a single game is such a miniscule sample size. Baseball is very luck driven, and anything can happen. Complete scrubs can become heroes, as shown by Brandon Inge hitting a homer to tie a game. If baseball was a game of the best teams always winning, then the Phillies would easily win the NL and we would not have made it this far. It's about getting hot (and lucky) at the right time and if the Tigers play their asses off the next 3 games, maybe, just maybe we can pull it off.

My head says Rangers in 6, but I'll be rooting for these guys 'till the last out.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#44 » by kellmellus50 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:45 pm

RustInPeace wrote:Had Cabrera not attempted to score, we would have had to rely on Alex Avila to knock those runs in so I don't blame Gene (though I still think he's a bad 3rd base coach). Our best option was probably to pinch hit delmon (who looked terrible in his last at bat) for Don Kelly, which I doubt would make a difference anyway.

If i was coach i would have replaced cabrera at third with kelly he would have ran it home in time.
RustInPeace
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by RustInPeace » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Then good thing you aren't a coach
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#46 » by kellmellus50 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:24 pm

When playing Texas you have to beat them in 9 inn because when you go into extra inn your going to lose , its really simple you do everything you can to win in 9 inn against this team.

p.s. you seen leland warming perry up again in last game during extra inn ,you see my point.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,007

Post#47 » by Snakebites » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:38 pm

A 10% chance to score?

I believe that is above Alex Avila's batting average in the playoffs so far. I don't mind him sending Cabrera.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#48 » by kellmellus50 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:42 pm

OK send Cabrera and not send Santaigo, go figure you must be clone of gene lamont.

Tigers will win the game tonite.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#49 » by TSE » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:45 am

Cowology wrote:Sigh... Trying to keep things in perspective here, but it's tough. We're one of only 4 teams remaining. How upset should you really be when you overshoot expectations from just a few short months ago and reach the ALCS? By all accounts that seems like a very successful season.

But you are referencing the result of this season, which we mortgaged the future for in some part. If we invested a season of resources or less than that value than a WS would be a success and a sizable one. But we are no sure thing to win the WS, and the rest of our future years have already been discounted many times. We should have won 120 games this year if we would have done things right a couple years ago. And now in the years ahead we won't be able to win 120 games then and over 110 every single year for a decade with some 130 chances popping here and there. It takes time to set that up and every day that goes by is just one more wasted day of the better future that still awaits us if we simply choose it. Maybe Cabrera and Verlander will just stop aging at 35 and play forever, that should give us some time to get our act together.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#50 » by Manocad » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:12 pm

The goal of every MLB team is winning a championship, not getting a certain number of wins. Wins are relative; there is no magic number that automatically equals success. There is no value in winning 120 games unless another team in your league wins 119. And that's not going to happen; no team has done it yet.

Answer this: How have the Yankees managed to win the World Series so many times without ever having won 120 games?
TSE
Banned User

Post#51 » by TSE » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:17 pm

The win number is not the goal, the win number is merely a representation figure to describe the quality of the team. A team that can win over 120 games would suggest that the team is very hard to beat and probably winning lots of games by large margins too.

And the Yankees don't relate. They haven't won enough times, i'm not talking about previous eras where the business of the game was radically different, but for their payroll they should be virtually unstoppable every single year. I can build an unstoppable team for less money than that. They are a disgrace. Plus if we did things right they would crash really hard and become a laughing stock and have to continuously play against the greatest sports franchise of all time and get humiliated over and over again like every other team.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#52 » by Manocad » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:56 am

TSE wrote:The win number is not the goal, the win number is merely a representation figure to describe the quality of the team. A team that can win over 120 games would suggest that the team is very hard to beat and probably winning lots of games by large margins too.

And the Yankees don't relate. They haven't won enough times, i'm not talking about previous eras where the business of the game was radically different, but for their payroll they should be virtually unstoppable every single year. I can build an unstoppable team for less money than that. They are a disgrace. Plus if we did things right they would crash really hard and become a laughing stock and have to continuously play against the greatest sports franchise of all time and get humiliated over and over again like every other team.

:lol:
You really believe this stuff, don't you?
TSE
Banned User

Post#53 » by TSE » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:14 am

yes
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#54 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Starting pitching goes to Detroits advantage the next two games and that may be the differance.
They can pull this one out only it they get their hitting going.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#55 » by Manocad » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:25 pm

TSE wrote:yes

For your sake I hope you have skills that are actually marketable. 'Cause MLB team general management ain't one of them.
TSE
Banned User

Post#56 » by TSE » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Yeah I have the goods.
RustInPeace
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by RustInPeace » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:29 pm

You're better off being paid to professionally troll other forums. I see you put a lot of effort in most of your posts, so that's a good start.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#58 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:26 am

Leland lost control of this game when Scherzer strart walking and giving up hits he should of had a short leash not waiting till you lose the lead to replace him by that time the game is over.

also you need someone to put out the fire like coke.Bad choice of relivers leland brought in.

I. Kinsler grounded out to third
- E. Andrus walked
- J. Hamilton singled to shallow left, E. Andrus to second
- M. Young doubled to shallow left, E. Andrus and J. Hamilton scored
- A. Beltre singled to center, M. Young scored
- M. Napoli walked, A. Beltre to second
- N. Cruz walked, A. Beltre to third, M. Napoli to second
- D. Schlereth relieved M. Scherzer
- D. Murphy singled to shallow center, A. Beltre and M. Napoli scored, N. Cruz to second
- C. Gentry hit for E. Chavez
- R. Porcello relieved D. Schlereth
- C. Gentry reached on fielder's choice, N. Cruz to third, D. Murphy to second
- I. Kinsler singled to left, N. Cruz and D. Murphy scored, C. Gentry to second, C. Gentry to third, I. Kinsler to second on left fielder D. Young's fielding error
- E. Andrus grounded into fielder's choice, C. Gentry out at home, I. Kinsler to third
- J. Hamilton intentionally walked
- M. Young doubled to shallow right, I. Kinsler and E. Andrus scored, J. Hamilton to third

Game over Texas wins series.Go Lions!!!
Manocad
RealGM

Post#59 » by Manocad » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:02 am

kellmellus50 wrote:Leland lost control of this game when Scherzer strart walking and giving up hits he should of had a short leash not waiting till you lose the lead to replace him by that time the game is over.

Agreed. As soon as four straight batters reached, regardless of how, Scherzer should have come out. Leland should have played this game the way the Yankees did when it was do or die. Ultra short leash with no one spared but your starter for the next game and one set-up/closer.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#60 » by Manocad » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:11 am

Leyland deserves a lot of fire for how he has handled this game. He let it turn into an embarrassment because he had clearly conceded the loss by the 6th inning.

Return to Detroit Tigers