ImageImageImageImage

Jacob Turner, available in trade talks

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Jacob Turner, available in trade talks 

Post#1 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Jan 1, 2012 4:13 am

Buster Olney reported Saturday for ESPN.com the Tigers have made it known to several clubs Turner is attainable in a deal for an established starter, which has included discussions about Cubs right-hander Matt Garza.
The trade conversations represent a change in strategies for the Tigers.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2011 ... ext|Sports
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: Jacob Turner, available in trade talks 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 7:19 pm

Not for Matt Garza!!! Good grief that would be awful

I really like Turner and see him as a frontline starter and want to hang on to him. Him, JV and Porcello could be one helluva 1-2-3 rotation. If trading him helps bring an Ace or big bat to the lineup, then we'll see. But trading him for some middle of the road vet, like Garza, would be completely inexcusable. We better be getting Castro in a deal like that, because Turner is likely to be a top-20, maybe top-10, prospect this season.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 7:22 pm

Your post so intrigued me that I went looking for answers. and found them

"We are not looking to trade Jacob Turner," Dombrowski said. "We love the guy. But I have received calls from clubs wondering if we would be interested in certain players because they have interest in our players. And he is a guy they ask about immediately because he is held in such high esteem.

"Do we listen to anybody?" Dombrowski asked, rhetorically. "Yes. But we are not looking to trade Jacob Turner by any means."

whew *wipes brow*

Keep Turner and Castellanos and develop these kids!

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2012/1/4/26 ... ot-trading
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 7:26 pm

http://seedlingstostars.com/2012/01/01/ ... ob-turner/

A nice new scouting report on Turner (I'm inspired today), checking in as the #6 prospect in baseball!!

Why He’s This High: Jacob Turner was the youngest pitcher to appear in the major leagues this year, which speaks volumes about how advanced he is for his age. One could argue he was rushed to the big leagues by a Tigers organization that tends to move prospects rapidly, but it’s not like they yanked him up in the middle of a bad season–he showed excellent command of his four-pitch arsenal at both the Double-A and Triple-A levels.

On a stuff level, Turner is quite similar to the #7 prospect (and second-youngest MLB pitcher in 2011), Julio Teheran. He throws a 90-94 mph fastball with excellent sink, his power curveball flashes plus, and he’s got a split/change that also works well when it’s on. He also has a cutter that can give lefthanders a different look. He lacks the one obviously plus pitch that Teheran has, but all of his pitches have the potential to be plus, and he doesn’t have Teheran’s mechanical issues or flyball tendencies. With those advantages, he edges out Teheran as the best right-handed pitching prospect in baseball on this list.

read more if ya likes. My hope is that we don't rush him (like we always do) and keep him in AAA most of the year to really work on his stuff and refine his pitches, while keeping him in a relatively stress free environment. Bring up Oliver to be our 5th starter and Lefty

Return to Detroit Tigers