2012 Season Thread

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: 2012 Season Thread 

Post#81 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:23 pm

^ Yeah Prince is not the best baserunner...lolz

Really nice win today to cap the sweep. Miggy going deep twice (should be AL MVP at this rate) and Turner bouncing back in a big way. I really hope we don't trade him
Hamyltowne
Banned User
And1: 53

Post#82 » by Hamyltowne » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:35 am

ajaX82 wrote:^ Yeah Prince is not the best baserunner...lolz

Really nice win today to cap the sweep. Miggy going deep twice (should be AL MVP at this rate) and Turner bouncing back in a big way. I really hope we don't trade him

Agreed. If the Tigers win the Central, I don't want to see Miggy robbed of the MVP for the second year in a row.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#83 » by Lionlifer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:52 pm

1.5 games up, time to go on a run, here's to hoping we carry the momentum into August.

And big ups to Miggy, 300 HR's, on his way to what should be an MVP season...
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#84 » by kellmellus50 » Thu Aug 2, 2012 11:57 am

You mean 2.5 games down time to make a run.
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#85 » by Lionlifer » Thu Aug 2, 2012 2:12 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:I have nothing of vaule to add to this discussion

There I fixed it for you, read the date on the post I made.
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#86 » by Lionlifer » Mon Aug 6, 2012 2:04 pm

How epic was last night's game! That right there was HHHHUUUUUGGGGEEEE!
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#87 » by ajaX82 » Mon Aug 6, 2012 3:33 pm

Lionlifer wrote:How epic was last night's game! That right there was HHHHUUUUUGGGGEEEE!

oh yeah! I definitely ran the gamut of emotions after we failed to score, blew it, and then roared back for the win
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#88 » by Lionlifer » Tue Aug 7, 2012 3:06 pm

And another win against that team from NY!

JV is just filthy, some of those pitches, the batters never stood a chance. That curve is just nuts, then factor in the change, and oh yeah, the 100 MPH fastball 120 pitches into the game.....
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Post#89 » by m23uza1hem36 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:36 am

King Felix with the perfect game. Amazing, what is it? three perfect games now this year? incredible. Felix has always been a really good pitcher, up there with Verlander.

Was disappointed that we dropped the first game against the Twins, Sanchez still struggling. Got the last two in good fashion though. If only the White Sox would freaking lose :(
Follow @mouzaihem
joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Post#90 » by joseph mamah » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:42 am

does anyone know if scherzers under contract for next year.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#91 » by TSE » Sun Sep 2, 2012 4:32 pm

Here's a good site that lists basic contract summaries plus a good place to get any player's stats for both majors and minors (you can click minors and other neat ways to filter data). I visit it basically every day of my life for some kind of stats, lol.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ma01.shtml

You can see there he is scheduled to be 1st year Arbitration eligible in 2013, and set to become FA at 2015.

Also here's a good site to track our playoff odds. We are at about 60% now and at one point we were about 80% with about half of it coming from the WC and the other half from winning the division. Since then the WC odds have plummeted and we are very fortunate to win those last 2 games or it would have been mathematically long odds. A win today would be pretty huge.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/
joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Post#92 » by joseph mamah » Sun Sep 2, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks for the info. I was worried we wouldnt be able to afford Max next season the way hes been pitching, but it looks like he'll be with us next year and at least until the trade deadline of 2014.

Todays game is huge, a chance to tie the Sox with Verlander on the mound. I hate to say it with so many games left, but our season could be decided today. the difference between being tied and being down 2 games with I believe a little over 20 games left in the season is pretty big, and im kind of in Division Title or bust mode with the changes they made to the wildcard. I think it should have at least been best of three, a 1 game playoff in my mind is kind of ridiculous.
TSE
Banned User

Post#93 » by TSE » Mon Sep 3, 2012 12:57 am

Yeah it sucks, cause Bud Selig sucks, so the fans will always not enjoy the game as much as they could if serious and much needed changes were to take place. I have a vision for this game that is nothing more than a pipe dream to me, but I still get to enjoy the satisfaction of knowing how awesome this sport could potentially be in the future if the people in charge would make up and start thinking of ways to make the game more enjoyable.

I mean for crying out loud, they just figured out how to get 30 teams divided by 6 divisions evenly. The answer conveniently turned out to be an even number, 5, due to the beauty of mathematics. What an amazing discovery. This story wouldn't be believable if you made it up before we arrived to that setup.

I'm gonna make a movie where we see baseball in the future and we have 16 divisions. That would of course consist of 14 divisions of 2 teams, and 2 divisions of 1 team each where those single teams in those 2 lonely divisions automatically make the playoffs, assuming they can figure out a way to hold onto first place for the whole season :roll: . That would be neat right? It's basically what we have now but just in a more exaggerated fashion.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#94 » by Manocad » Mon Sep 3, 2012 3:18 pm

TSE wrote:Yeah it sucks, cause Bud Selig sucks, so the fans will always not enjoy the game as much as they could if serious and much needed changes were to take place. I have a vision for this game that is nothing more than a pipe dream to me, but I still get to enjoy the satisfaction of knowing how awesome this sport could potentially be in the future if the people in charge would make up and start thinking of ways to make the game more enjoyable.

I won't speak for all other fans as you foolishly have tried to do, but I can speak for myself and my family and friends, and remarkably enough, we love THE GAME ITSELF. You know, that part where the pitcher throws the ball, the batter hits the ball, and the fielder fields the ball? So we enjoy it just as much now as we always have because the game itself is still the game of baseball.

Division alignments don't change the real baseball fan's enjoyment of the game of baseball. And that's what me, my family and friends go to the ball park for--to enjoy a game of baseball.
TSE
Banned User

Post#95 » by TSE » Tue Sep 4, 2012 3:21 pm

So you would love the game exactly perfectly equal to your level now if the hypothetical situation of 14 divisions with 2 teams and 2 divisions of 1 team were to be the new format? So if two teams in one division both went 30-132 and then one of them had to automatically qualify for the playoffs, this sport would be enjoyable to the exact same level? How about one of the lonely teams goes 1-161, congratulations you are in the playoffs! How fun would that be and how seriously could everybody take the sport if that's how it was set up? Maybe two teams finish 130-32 in one division and one of them can't compete in the postseason because there isn't a spot for them now despite winning 129 games more than the worst team that made it.

I love the game itself too. In fact, I love it more than every other person in the world that I communicate with on the subject as far as I know. So I'm at the top of the food chain in having love and passion for the game. I'm not sure what your point even is there, but the question isn't about the fans loving the game, it's about is there any possible way that the fans could love it more? I believe the answer is a resounding yes. If we would have had evened out divisions the last several years instead of one division having 4 teams and another having 6 teams, then I simply would have liked the game even more by a small additional amount because I would respect the game as being slightly more logical in it's setup than it previous was.

And I don't speak for all of the fans, I said "the fans" in general, and the average enjoyment factor would go down in that scenario based upon my opinion. If zero fans in the world changed their opinion at all and only I did and my level of interest went down, then I would be correct because the average fan appeal of "the fans" however it is determined would therefore go down in that scenario. I don't know which specific fans will like the game less and by how much, and perhaps some fans will like it more. There would be a lot more playoff teams so maybe fans from some typically weaker teams would like this format more, and I'm saying that it is my belief that on an average basis the fan appeal would go down. I also don't force that opinion on anybody and even ask a question such as "wouldn't that be neat"? So a respondent is free to reply and say yeah i see your point and yeah I agree that would be bad for the sport, or they could take the position that such change would be better for the sport. I'd be shocked to see anybody say it won't change the sport in any way since I believe almost any action would have at least some technical affect no matter how infitesimally small.
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#96 » by Lionlifer » Tue Sep 4, 2012 3:35 pm

Heart breaker yesterday, hopefully we bounce back strong with AJAX in the lineup....
TSE
Banned User

Post#97 » by TSE » Tue Sep 4, 2012 3:52 pm

Lionlifer wrote:Heart breaker yesterday, hopefully we bounce back strong with AJAX in the lineup....

Yeah we need every bit of help we can get, our offense isn't very powerful on account of having too many inefficient batters on the team.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#98 » by Manocad » Tue Sep 4, 2012 4:29 pm

TSE wrote:So you would love the game exactly perfectly equal to your level now if the hypothetical situation of 14 divisions with 2 teams and 2 divisions of 1 team were to be the new format? So if two teams in one division both went 30-132 and then one of them had to automatically qualify for the playoffs, this sport would be enjoyable to the exact same level? How about one of the lonely teams goes 1-161, congratulations you are in the playoffs! How fun would that be and how seriously could everybody take the sport if that's how it was set up? Maybe two teams finish 130-32 in one division and one of them can't compete in the postseason because there isn't a spot for them now despite winning 129 games more than the worst team that made it.

Yeah, that's a realistic scenario.
:roll:
TSE
Banned User

Post#99 » by TSE » Tue Sep 4, 2012 4:34 pm

Manocad wrote:
TSE wrote:So you would love the game exactly perfectly equal to your level now if the hypothetical situation of 14 divisions with 2 teams and 2 divisions of 1 team were to be the new format? So if two teams in one division both went 30-132 and then one of them had to automatically qualify for the playoffs, this sport would be enjoyable to the exact same level? How about one of the lonely teams goes 1-161, congratulations you are in the playoffs! How fun would that be and how seriously could everybody take the sport if that's how it was set up? Maybe two teams finish 130-32 in one division and one of them can't compete in the postseason because there isn't a spot for them now despite winning 129 games more than the worst team that made it.

Yeah, that's a realistic scenario.
:roll:

It's not supposed to be realistic, it's a hypothetical that is designed to test your statement that you love the game no matter what and seem to be taking the position that you wouldn't love it any less no matter what happens. And in my original post this scenario was described as an analogous extreme so that a far extreme scenario can be seen to then connect with the logic that if you moved a lot or a little towards that extreme that a shift of value can be demonstrated based upon how much you move. The current setup is a tiny percentage on that infinitely long line that approaches a bizarre diluted limit such as mine which is way off on the distance as a reference point. It's just a principle of calculus in being able to understand things, you test the limits and build out both ends of every theoretically possible scenario so that you can get more total information and insight helpful to understanding various points along the spectrum of anything that is being analyzed.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#100 » by kellmellus50 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:17 am

Trailing 3-2, manager Jim Leyland pulled Avila in favor of pinch-runner Quintin Berry, who promptly advanced to second after Omar Infante laid down a sacrifice bunt.

The decision to bunt Berry raised a few eyebrows, largely because Berry was 19-for-19 in stolen bases, but Leyland defended his decision following the 3-2 series-sweeping loss.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2 ... exp_6.html

Return to Detroit Tigers