ImageImageImageImage

2012 Playoffs Tigers on the way to World Series

TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: 2012 Playoffs Tigers on the way to World Series 

Post#41 » by TSE » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:37 am

Looks like we're working overtime tonight. I guess Valverde was the answer to my previous question, but 4 runs off any closer is pretty crazy. Yikers.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#42 » by ajaX82 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:05 am

Jeter looks like he broke or tore something in his ankle. Bet he's done for the playoffs. Valverde should just take a seat on the bench for the remainder of this thing, because he sucks
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,888

Post#43 » by Snakebites » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:07 am

Sweet win, and yeah, thats too bad about Jeter. Looked like he was in a lot of pain.

If Joe is willing to bench Alex freaking Rodriguez because he sucks, I have no idea why Leyland won't even drop Valverde after giving up a 2 run home run AND four straight balls on top of that.
joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Post#44 » by joseph mamah » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:08 am

whew, what the h*** are we going to do with Valverde? theyre probably going to keep sending him out there and hope he gets his head right, but I think the teams lost faith in him. I wouldnt mind seeing them give AA a shot.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,191

Post#45 » by ElectricMayhem » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:15 am

What a wild game with repercussions aplenty. It's probably the only game of the playoffs I'll be able to watch, with most games going on during working hours, today was a Sunday with the wife and daughter off to a friend's house. I watched from the 8th inning on.

Valverde - The guy has lost it. Giving up a home run to Ichiro? And then the second one had to destroy him. Will he get one more pitch these playoffs in a game decided by less than 6 runs? If there is a silver lining to this, it may be that Leyland realizes he isn't the Valverde of last year. Speaking of Leyland....

Leyland - What a terrible terrible call to leave Valverde in the game to pitch to Ibanez. I don't mind Leyland putting him in for the 9th. It's a 4 run game, let him try to get some confidence back. But after the Ichiro home run and another runner on, you don't leave it in his hands to decide the game. You absolutely have to pull him there.

A-Rod - Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha! I love that they are paying him all that money just to bench him with the game on the line. Of course, he'll definitely be in the starting lineup tomorrow because of

Jeter - That's unfortunate. Even if I hate the Yankees and want to see them lose every way possible, it's hard to root against Jeter or Granderson. It's a shame if he's not in the game. At this stage of his career, even smaller injuries can be career ending. Hopefully it's nothing that serious.

Fister - Great game. The guy was a huge pickup last year. To win this game when we get two Verlander games and another Fister game (not to mention we've gained homefield advantage)? Tigers are in a great position after this game. The only question left is who is our stopper now. If you know, then please, Do-tel(l). (Lame joke)
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
TSE
Banned User

Post#46 » by TSE » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:30 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:The only question left is who is our stopper now. If you know, then please, Do-tel(l). (Lame joke)

Benoit would just be our stopper with a different setup man most likely, but Leyland is old school and this isn't the first time Valverde has caused trouble, so Leyland will ride him out and give him more chances to get the job done in fresh situations to come up and hope for the best. He doesn't abandon his philosophy because of one bad game. I'm still of the opinion that Valverde should never have been invested in that highly in the first place when we acquired him, and that money could have been used for a more logical player that makes more sense for us, but that was a mistake a long time ago that continuously hampers us every day.

But yeah we are in great shape, and ironically even better shape than before we blew it, because Jeter got hurt in the extra innings. Even more dumb bad luck for the Yankees and their team of overpaid bums.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#47 » by Manocad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:29 am

kellmellus50 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
TSE wrote:Yeah Verlander for 9 innings is indeed a pretty genius strategy plan, well done Kellmellus!...

A genius strategy employed by every major league manager when his ace pitcher is under his pitch count and throwing a shutout. Who didn't know that Verlander was going to go all nine if he had a lead? The Pakistanis?

You don't get it i said this before they even started the game as the strategy in order for the tigers to win the series. look at my post before the game on friday 12th.

Quote: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:30 am
Our closer was not on his game he constantly got the ball up in the zone. Also again i was yelling to walk Coco Crisp there was a base open and leland blew that call.

I would let Verlander pitch the whole game even if he had to go 150 pitches.

Manocad all you do is criticize people you have nothing to add to baseball why are you here ? (troll ?)

Quote:Oh for Pete's sake...it's TWO GAMES! THAT THEY WON! Talk about a "glass half full" attitude. Good lord.

You are a very negative person has your wife or girlfrriend told you this too?

I've never criticized anyone. I address post content and not the poster, which you have done. And considering your posting behavior it's extremely ironic that you would call me negative.

You don't feel I add anything and I don't feel you add anything, so I guess we're even. Have a great day!
TSE
Banned User

Post#48 » by TSE » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:33 am

Great pitching performance by Sanchez tonight! I also thought that Girardi's press conference was really solid afterwards. Hopefully MLB will finally get their act together so plays can't get missed when it's extremely obvious what the right call was. He was very professional and sensible with how we responded to some low brow questions that were thrown at him seemingly for purposes of just trying to elicit an unprofessional response, but he remained cool and didn't take the bait. The game needs to clean up badly or it's no fun for anybody when stuff like that happens. He was an excellent loser today, and just 2 more wins for us now, go Tigers!
Manocad
RealGM

Post#49 » by Manocad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:33 am

TSE wrote: I'm still of the opinion that Valverde should never have been invested in that highly in the first place when we acquired him, and that money could have been used for a more logical player that makes more sense for us, but that was a mistake a long time ago that continuously hampers us every day.

How were the Tigers being hampered while Valverde was successfully converting 35 saves or not pitching at all?
TSE
Banned User

Post#50 » by TSE » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:37 am

Manocad wrote:How were the Tigers being hampered while Valverde was successfully converting 35 saves or not pitching at all?

Because I think the investment dollars used on him should have been used on offense instead. I thought he was seriously overpaid and not worth the contract we gave him, and any time you do that it is inefficient and you miss an opportunity cost to find a player at any position that is a positive ROI purpose. So 2 problems, one is he was a negative ROI player, and secondly I wanted more offensive improvement as opposed to pitching at that time as I think there was and always was more bang for our buck to shift resources to that side of the equation. At any point in time that he has been here, I wanted to trade him for a hitting upgrade, and every day that went by that we did not do that I felt we were making a mistake.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#51 » by Manocad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:18 am

That is a very logical and sensible response.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#52 » by Lionlifer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Up 2-0 with JV coming to the mound, couldn't ask for a better situation
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
Manocad
RealGM

Post#53 » by Manocad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Yeah, the blown save in Oakland worked out well ultimately. There's no better position after two games than to be up 2-0 and your ace taking the mound, and that wouldn't be the case had Game 4 in Oakland been won. The Tigers could still very well be up 2-0, they just wouldn't have Verlander going in Game 3.

BTW, I'll be at Wednesday's game so if anyone will be at the game or just downtown hanging out, let me know where you'll be and we can meet up (if you're not weird about that sort of thing, that is).
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#54 » by roc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:34 am

grr arghh stressful... one more out please :pray:
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#55 » by roc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:37 am

woot! :rocking:
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
TSE
Banned User

Post#56 » by TSE » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:11 am

No fun for me, the Yankees are such garbage it's not even baseball. They spend more money than any other team and they look like they would make a good volleyball team maybe, but not a good baseball team. I'd be terrified to invite the Yanks to a vollyeball match with a few of my friends, but a baseball game, ehh sure why not. They suck bad, especially without Jeter and they still bench A-Rod, hahahhahahahahahahahahahhahaha what a bunch of LOSERS! What garbage baseball, they actually put in Nix and Chavez and can't put in A-rod over EITHER of those guys, that's ridiculous! If A-Rod was a proven serial killer, he STILL should be in the lineup, how embarrassing for New York!!! WTF?!!?!?

The WS will be more interesting, San Fran has the better record, but the Cards tend to be a tough gritty playoff team with good leadership so either team will provide legitimate competition for a better game.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#57 » by Lionlifer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:23 pm

I think that may have been the best pitch that Coke has ever thrown! Thank god that is over, 3 down, 1 to go!
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#58 » by ajaX82 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Lionlifer wrote:I think that may have been the best pitch that Coke has ever thrown! Thank god that is over, 3 down, 1 to go!

No kidding! whew

I don't think we finish it tonight, because I expect a fired up Yanks lineup and a CC gem, but it would be wonderful. Coke won't pitch tonight no matter what, so if we do get into a closing situation it will be interesting to see who gets the nod. My moneys on Dotel or Smyly
Manocad
RealGM

Post#59 » by Manocad » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:19 am

TSE wrote:No fun for me, the Yankees are such garbage it's not even baseball. They spend more money than any other team and they look like they would make a good volleyball team maybe, but not a good baseball team. I'd be terrified to invite the Yanks to a vollyeball match with a few of my friends, but a baseball game, ehh sure why not. They suck bad, especially without Jeter and they still bench A-Rod, hahahhahahahahahahahahahhahaha what a bunch of LOSERS! What garbage baseball, they actually put in Nix and Chavez and can't put in A-rod over EITHER of those guys, that's ridiculous! If A-Rod was a proven serial killer, he STILL should be in the lineup, how embarrassing for New York!!! WTF?!!?!?

The WS will be more interesting, San Fran has the better record, but the Cards tend to be a tough gritty playoff team with good leadership so either team will provide legitimate competition for a better game.

:lol:
I love this...you're the self-proclaimed "biggest Tigers fan I know" and all you can do after they go up 3-0 in the ALCS is bitch about how it was "no fun" and how pissed you are about how bad a team the Yankees are. Too funny.
TSE
Banned User

Post#60 » by TSE » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:29 am

^
I take my sports EXTREMELY seriously, especially baseball. Baseball is a sacred game of competitive honor and American culture to me and it should be respected appropriately. I call out anybody that perverts that image. The Yankees spent an obscene amount of two hundred million bucks to play a crappy game and that's just not sporting whether we win or lose, they insult the game and discredit and devalue the worth and meaning to the team that will win, which in this case might be us. We as an organization contribute negatively to the game and the sport in our own way, but right now the degree to which the Yankees do it is more severe and trumps our contribution to the stink.

I want the game to clean up and I will complain until it does. Unfortunately we have the worst commissioner in all of sports so it might take a while. The commish can't force every team to play the game respectably, so the onus is on each city to do that on their own. The owner for us doesn't have high standards, and so it's the fans responsibility to step up and offer a voice of change for the benefit of the team and the city. I'm doing my part for the good of the game and our town by calling out any garbage as I see it and holding our team to high standards, anything less is unacceptable and unjust.

Return to Detroit Tigers