ImageImageImageImage

Tigers probable starting lineup

g-mo
Ballboy
And1: 0

Tigers probable starting lineup 

Post#1 » by g-mo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:26 pm

Unless the Tigers sign a strong lefty OF or Steven Moya breaks out strong in spring training, here's my predictions for the regular starting lineup this season

vs RHP vs LHP

1 - Gose CF Kinsler
2 - Kinsler 2B Iglasias
3 - Cabrera 1B Cabrera
4 - V Martinez DH V Martinez
5 - JD Martinez RF JD Martinez
6 - Maybin LF Maybin
7 - Castellanos 3B Castallanos
8 - McCann C McCann
9 - Iglasias SS Gose

Core of lineup - 3 to 8 - stays the same, no dominant lefty hitter except V Martinez
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Re: Tigers probable starting lineup 

Post#2 » by Snakebites » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:46 pm

They've all but confirmed they have no intention to sign another outfielder.

And that's probably the right move. If healthy our offense should be just fine. I hope its because they are planning on spending a lot to revamp our pitching staff, and isn't a sign that we really don't have much to spend.

We still need 2 good starting pitchers and at least one more solid reliever to have a passable bullpen. I can't see us signing any of the "top 4" free agent pitchers (Price, Greinke, Zimmermann, Cueto) and think we probably shouldn't given how top-heavy our payroll already is going forward.

Tough to see how this plays out. Figure we'll be going after the Gallardo, Chen, Leake level free agent pitchers.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#3 » by Liqourish » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:58 pm

Snakebites wrote:They've all but confirmed they have no intention to sign another outfielder.

And that's probably the right move. If healthy our offense should be just fine. I hope its because they are planning on spending a lot to revamp our pitching staff, and isn't a sign that we really don't have much to spend.

We still need 2 good starting pitchers and at least one more solid reliever to have a passable bullpen. I can't see us signing any of the "top 4" free agent pitchers (Price, Greinke, Zimmermann, Cueto) and think we probably shouldn't given how top-heavy our payroll already is going forward.

Tough to see how this plays out. Figure we'll be going after the Gallardo, Chen, Leake level free agent pitchers.

4 days later they sign Zimmermann. Also signed RHP's Lowe and Pelfrey, C Saltalamacchia, SS Aviles and traded for RP Justin Wilson. And there are still rumors that the Tigers are interested in bringing back Cespedes whose price tag is lowering by the day.

IMO, We need a backup IF and I'm not too thrilled with Rondon despite the Tigers, especially Ausmus, saying he's not an issue moving forward.

C: James McCann
1B: Miguel Cabrera
2B: Ian Kinsler
SS: Jose Iglesias
3B: Nick Castellanos
RF: J.D. Martinez
CF: Cameron Maybin
LF: Anthony Gose
DH: Victor Martinez
C: Jarrod Saltalamacchia
IF: Andrew Romine
IF: Mike Aviles
OF: Tyler Collins
OF:

SP: Justin Verlander
SP: Jordan Zimmermann
SP: Anibal Sanchez
SP: Daniel Norris
SP: Mike Pelfrey

RP: Mark Lowe
RP: Alex Wilson
RP: Justin Wilson
RP: Blaine Hardy
RP: Bruce Rondon

CP: Francisco Rodriguez

Pitching orders will work themselves out in spring training.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#4 » by Snakebites » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:26 pm

Liqourish wrote:
Snakebites wrote:They've all but confirmed they have no intention to sign another outfielder.

4 days later they sign Zimmermann. Also signed RHP's Lowe and Pelfrey, C Saltalamacchia, SS Aviles and traded for RP Justin Wilson. And there are still rumors that the Tigers are interested in bringing back Cespedes whose price tag is lowering by the day.

IMO, We need a backup IF and I'm not too thrilled with Rondon despite the Tigers, especially Ausmus, saying he's not an issue moving forward.

OF:

Yeah, I think I underestimated the cost of guys like Leake. Clearly the difference in cost between them and a guy like Zimmermann was smaller than I thought it would be.

Given the way the market is taking shape I definitely think that the right decision was made there.

The bottom line is pretty simple here. We're very reliant on strong recovery campaigns from Verlander (needs to be the guy he was post-price trade), Sanchez, and (gulp) VMart. If those happen, we'll be in the mix. If they don't, we probably won't. Man, I'm feeling some serious buyers remorse on given Victor that contract last summer. We would have no trouble signing an outfielder were it not for that contract.

I'd love to see a return of Cespedes, but only if he's willing to accept a shorter deal. My instinct says that with outfielder prices going down we'll probably be able to add another outfielder if that's what they decide they want to do. Whether it will be as big a fish as Cespedes I have no idea. I'm also not sure I'd prefer Cespedes to Gordon or Upton.

I think the price on the next tier of outfielders is dropping too. A guy like Span or Fowler would help us out too, and might be attainable on short deals that don't push us over the luxury tax.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#5 » by Liqourish » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:37 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Liqourish wrote:

OF:

Yeah, I think I underestimated the cost of guys like Leake. Clearly the difference in cost between them and a guy like Zimmermann was smaller than I thought it would be.

Given the way the market is taking shape I definitely think that the right decision was made there.

The bottom line is pretty simple here. We're very reliant on strong recovery campaigns from Verlander (needs to be the guy he was post-price trade), Sanchez, and (gulp) VMart. If those happen, we'll be in the mix. If they don't, we probably won't. Man, I'm feeling some serious buyers remorse on given Victor that contract last summer. We would have no trouble signing an outfielder were it not for that contract.

I'd love to see a return of Cespedes, but only if he's willing to accept a shorter deal. My instinct says that with outfielder prices going down we'll probably be able to add another outfielder if that's what they decide they want to do. Whether it will be as big a fish as Cespedes I have no idea. I'm also not sure I'd prefer Cespedes to Gordon or Upton.

I think the price on the next tier of outfielders is dropping too. A guy like Span or Fowler would help us out too, and might be attainable on short deals that don't push us over the luxury tax.

I didn't think we'd go after one of the big FAs either. The Zimmermann deal was not even on my radar. But I'm not upset with it, especially seeing the money Boston paid 30 yr old Price.

If we go after a big OF, I hope we bring back Cespedes. If not, I wouldn't mind a small move for a backup for now and wait to make a trade at the deadline if needed.

Ilitch has once again said money is no object. He wants a championship before he dies.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#6 » by sc8581 » Fri Jan 1, 2016 12:44 pm

I want Span, I've wanted him on the team since he entered the league.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Fri Jan 8, 2016 7:55 pm

We can forget about Span now. He's a (sigh) Giant now. I hate the Giants, but they've definitely taken on some injury/poor play risks this offseason.

We'll see what Illitch decides to do. For all we know the Tigers aren't even considering going after those guys.

Return to Detroit Tigers