Tigers acquire Renteria 

Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:14 pm

We give up Hernandez and Jurjens.

I like it
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#2 » by Low-Ki » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:59 pm

While I love the idea of acquiring Edgar Renteria, trading away both Jair Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez is a tough pill to swallow. JJ likely was penciled in to the fifth spot in our rotation next season - he looked really good at times for us this season and being 21 years old, he's only scraping the surface. That being said, he has never been projected by those in-the-know as anything more than a #3 in the show. Gorkys Hernandez is the player I really hate to lose - he has such a tremendous upside, but as the saying goes potential and a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee. With Granderson entrenched and Maybin hopefully fufilling his potential and Magglio signed for four more years, the 20yo A-ball standout was expendable.

I think both JJ and Gorkys Hernandez will turn out to be major leaguers and Hernandez could be something special, but looking at the current make-up of our team - Ordonez, Sheffield, Rodriguez, Polanco, Guillen are all on the wrong side of 30 and our time is now.

I do worry about our rotation, as we saw last season it wasn;t as deep as some thought it was. Outside of Verlander, the rest have question marks - Bonderman's make-up and shoulder, Rogers health and whether he wants to come back, Robertson's solid I guess as a back-of-the-rotation inning eater. I guess our fifth starter will be one of Virgil Vasquez, Andrew Miller, Zach Miner, Chad Durbin or Yorman Bazardo who the Tigers really like actually. If Rogers doesn't return, we'll fill his spot with a similar wily veteran.

Where does Edgar bat in our line-up? I would like to see him lead-off against lefties as he hits really well against them and they eat Granderson for lunch. However against right handed pitching, I could see leaving 1-5 as is and batting Renteria 6th behing Guillen.

Vs RHP
Granderson
Polanco
Sheffield
Ordonez
Guillen
Renteria
Leftfielder
Rodriguez
Inge

Vs LHP
Renteria
Polanco
Sheffield
Ordonez
Guillen
Granderson
Leftfielder
Rodriguez
Inge
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,885

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:40 am

You have to give to get, and the price was worth it. Guillen is now free to move to first base, and you got a large upgrade at that position. Renteria has a great bat, too. The only concern here is how badly the guy sucked the last time he played in the AL, but I think he'll be fine this time around.

Polanco, Guillen, Edgar and Inge is an infield most if not all teams would envy.
Hawks
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Hawks » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:15 am

Just like us in the Tex trade. We didn't want to give up Salty and Elvis. In order to get a player such as Tex. It was well worth it. I have a feeling the Tigers will be saying the same about Edgar. Edgar look to be completely recover from the whole RedSox drama. Plus he is playing for a coach he knows very well. Tigers got Edgar for two years. He isn't a one year rental. All they gotta do is pick up the $11 Million option. In this market that is a huge bargain for a player such as Edgar.
Low-Ki
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Low-Ki » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:28 pm

We did overpay in prospects - this trade will probably go from the Renteria Trade to the Gorkys Hernandez Trade in a few years time - however given the current market, we're getting Renteria on the cheap salarywise with Boston still paying a share and Atloanta sending some money our way as well. This might allow us to spend a few more million on a free agent this off-season. Furthermore Renteria will very likely be a Type A free agent in a couple of years time, meaning we're looking at a second half first rounder and sandwich pick(between first and second) or first half second rounder and sandwich pick as compensation.
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
Master Shake
General Manager

Post#6 » by Master Shake » Tue Nov 6, 2007 6:55 pm

This is obviously a win-now move. I like it though, I'm sure his average will dip slightly, but fielding should be fine, better than Guillen.

I hate to lose on potential, but we have more quality prospects than most teams it seems, I don't think we can find spots for them all. And I'm sure there will be a free agent pickup or two before new years.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.

Return to Detroit Tigers