ImageImageImage

Will Marlins will finally get a home?

G.cracker
Head Coach
And1: 958

Will Marlins will finally get a home? 

Post#1 » by G.cracker » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:05 pm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl- ... b01_layout

Now that the Canes are leaving OB, it is VERY likely (I have friends in Miami city Hall) that the site will be demolished and a retractable roof stadium and parkign will be built, with the funding gap coming from what would have been put into the OB. They will still go to the state to get the rebate for overruns. It has to break ground by Jan 1 I believe for a 2010 opening, which according to this article is needed since the Canes contract requires no dirt infield by then.

This will require team be redubbed the Miami Marlins. It will also help attract NCAA tournaments and larger concerts.

I think even if this happens fast, the Marlins won't be able to resign Cabrera. But maybe we can keep Hanley.
I'm like Global Warming, you can't ignore me.
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25

Post#2 » by Lane1974 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:49 pm

make it happen, Riley

Cabrera's under control through 2009, if they see 2010 in a new building, with the team saving beaucoup bucks these past few and next few years, I will keep my fingers crossed on keeping Miggy, even if it means dumping P-Train in the offseason
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Lane1974 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:50 pm

* although it really is counter intuitive to Beinfest's philosophy of keeping players on short contracts to maximize effort and production. Part of me does wonder if Miggy goes Mo Vaughn when he gets a big contract. Even with a hometown discount, I wonder what he'd take from us? 8 years, 125 mill?
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#4 » by Flash3 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:18 pm

Can we even afford Miguel @ 8 years/$125?

And, how long do we have Hanley under our control till he's elgible to be paid league value? Because, he's already shown he's more than deserving for a long term commitment, and I really hope we can keep both and continue build our team with them both in the middle of that lineup.

And with the news of the OB coming down, maybe the $$ that was supposed to go the OB renovations can be shifted towards the Marlins stadium. :pray:
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Lane1974 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:15 pm

Miggy came up in 2003 and is under control through 2009, so if Hanley came up in 2006, I would guess he is under control through 2012, maybe 2011 since Miggy came up in the middle of the season, don't know if he qualified for that as an entire season
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Flash3 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:57 pm

So, there's still some time for us to pay them for the cheap.

But, I wish we could offer Hanley an extension, now, like the Mets did last year with Wright & Reyes, instead of waiting and paying them even more.

Maybe this stadium deal with the Canes does some good for the Fish, maybe it doesn't. But it would really suck to see Cabrera and Hanley playing elsewhere, they are perfect hitters to have in the middle of your lineup, and their top 5 at their position, offensively atleast.....
WadeCounty305
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by WadeCounty305 » Sat Sep 1, 2007 4:46 pm

They need to build a stadium in Broward...I feel like people would actually go to the games alot more...but last I heard, the govenor was approving a propsal for their stadium to be built in Hialeah
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#8 » by SportsWorld » Mon Sep 3, 2007 1:20 am

I heard if the Marlins get a new stadium they are going to change their name to the Miami Marlins which would sound better IMO.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Flash3 » Tue Sep 4, 2007 4:57 am

Well, if they move to Broward county, they wouldn't be in Miami anymore.

But, Miami Marlins sounds too much like a little league team......
unfinished_bznz
Freshman
And1: 0
Location: City of Caprices and Impalas...Miami-Dade County,FL

Miami Dade County 

Post#10 » by unfinished_bznz » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:06 pm

To be honest, I dont care in what part of Miami they wanna move the Marlins to. It could be in the area of hialeah or where the Orange Bowl use to be, it doesnt matter, as long as they keep them here in Miami. You know how much that would suck if they move them to Broward County, that's horrible. As long as they stay here in Miami, they could be called the Florida Golden Fishes for all i care.....

...ok i was kidding about that name but you get my point.
"We got that fire down here"

(Miami Heat)

Return to Miami Marlins