ImageImageImage

Carlos Beltran Retires

RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,165

Carlos Beltran Retires 

Post#1 » by RaoulDuke79 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:03 am

Read on Twitter

Go ahead and say it TMU, let us all know how you feel!

:wink:

Seriously though, great guy and he had a fantastic career. Personally I was happy to see him end it here and with a WS Championship(IT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IN 2005 HAD YOU STAYED THOUGH, YOU TAINT!). No doubt he had a tremendous impact in the clubhouse with this team and I would love to see him stick around as a coach.

I'm assuming if he does decide to coach he will probably end up with the Yankees though, sadly.

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/261695724/carlos-beltran-retires-after-20-year-career/

The 2017 season had been a different one for Beltran, a nine-time All-Star who had been an everyday player for the bulk of his first 18 full seasons. The Astros signed him to be their primary DH, though as the season progressed, his playing time decreased.

That didn't minimize Beltran's significance to the Astros, whose core was comprised of young players who lacked the wisdom and experience of their elder statesman. As George Springer struggled through the American League Championship Series, he relied on Beltran's advice to help him stay focused. Springer responded with a huge World Series, earning MVP honors as Houston captured its first title, giving Beltran plenty of credit along the way.

"As a player, you get to a point where you're pursuing this goal every year and you know how hard it is to accomplish that," Beltran said. "This year was different for me; by the end of the season, I didn't play as much. I was very active with the guys in the clubhouse, working with the younger players, so I got to see a different side of the game. It was a different role, but I really enjoyed it.

Beltran retires with a .279/.350/.486 slash line, 2,725 hits, 435 home runs, 1,587 RBIs and 1,582 runs scored. He admits that falling short of some milestones -- 3,000 hits, in particular -- is disappointing, but he feels comfortable that he took full advantage of his talent during stops with the Royals, Astros, Mets, Giants, Cardinals, Yankees and Rangers.

"I have such a passion for baseball, but at some point, it's time. I wish I could play this game for a few more years to get to some goals like 3,000 hits or things like that, but at the end of the day, I just felt like it was time for me to move to my next chapter in life."

Beltran's name is frequently thrown around in Hall of Fame conversations, but he hasn't spent much time considering that possibility. After more than two decades of focusing only on things he could control, he's not going to get wrapped up in something completely out of his power.

"I'm satisfied with my career," Beltran said. "I can see myself back in my hometown of Manati [Puerto Rico], walking to the ballpark when I was a kid, trying to become a professional ballplayer. Seeing the things that I have accomplished in the game, not a lot of guys have accomplished that. That God chose me to be one of those guys, I'm extremely blessed."

It sucked when he went to the Mets instead of staying here, but the guy was a great player for a long time and I won't ever forget how amazing he was in that 2004 postseason.

So long, Carlos.

:clap:
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,165

Re: Carlos Beltran Retires 

Post#2 » by RaoulDuke79 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:10 am

We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:05 am

He did it where he should have done it all along!

Congrats on your retirement, future Astro Coach!
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#4 » by TMU » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 am

So long and thanks for the PTSD, Carlos. I will never forget those 2 blank stares that you had during '06 NLCS with bases loaded. NEVER! :banghead:

Return to Houston Astros