Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: the 2014 OffSeason Thread. 

Post#121 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:46 am

I'll stick with Butera and Fed.

i want the defense tbh.

who is this kid we got out of the Marlins?
is he gonna shock us or something?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#122 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:55 am

Quake Griffin wrote:I'll stick with Butera and Fed.

i want the defense tbh.

who is this kid we got out of the Marlins?
is he gonna shock us or something?

in short, no.

in depth, Kyle is a career minor leaguer for the worst franchise of all baseball in the last 5 years thanks to the MLB's version of DTS Jeff Loria and yet to break through there.

what he does have, is power. if you give him a MLB type of games and at bats, he just might continue to hit at the rate of 30+ HRs per major league season. what he isn't, is that he can't make good contact. ever since coming out of the A ball, he has hit consistently around .230 BA. in 5 seasons he spent above the A ball, he only hit better than .237 only once. thankfully that was last year. he can however seems to get on base relatively good compared to his dismal BA but for a minor league stat i would say his OBP is average at best. his SLG is good as any power hitter should.

what i don't like is that he bats right handed. so he has little use for us coming off the bench as a pinch hitter, since as of now we are dying for a lefty pinch hitter off the bench. but hey, he is cheap and he has power. he is an emergency player imo to be stashed away in AAA.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#123 » by Neddy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:44 pm

its starting to piss me off that Maeda Kenta of the Carps is still being talked about when the Hiroshima has repeatedly said they are not willing to post him just yet. is there some under the table deal going on since the posting fee in japan got frozen at 20 million? and if do, the fact that we are not in the discussion as his possible destination mean that we are going after Scherzer? I figure Greinke is opting out after next season and we will need a dominant right handed starter to split Kershaw and Ryu.

also, Hanley in discussion for the Mariners discourages me of Kemp going there. they are now talking about trading Iwakuma and his 7 million dollar contract. I still want to package Crawford and Kemp together but if we can only make a deal for Kemp, this is the right deal. Iwakuma is not unlike from Kuroda, a durable workhorse with great precision and knows how to pitch... along with a bullpen arm like Charlie Furbush.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#124 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:26 am

Hanley looks like he's signing with the Red Sucks tomorrow.

good.
looks like a trade with Seattle is in play.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#125 » by Neddy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Hanley looks like he's signing with the Red Sucks tomorrow.

good.
looks like a trade with Seattle is in play.

nice! we not only get their compensation pick but move him out to ALE and won't have to see him for a long long time.

more importantly, you are absolutely right about the trade being in place now with the M's. since the M's are the local team around here (well closest from where Im at) I decided to pay some attention to what they are doing too and their fan base seems to be willing to eat 100% of kemp's salary to make it happen too. the M's are a rumored to be talking about trading Iwakuma for Justin Upton, I think it will be a coup if we get to dump his salary and health risk off our hands and get a 7 million dollar right handed ace for him. M's seems to think that they won't be able to retain Iwakuma after 2015 or would rather pay a younger outfielder than an older pitcher as Walker is blossoming.

Kershaw-Greinke-Ryu-Iwakuma-Haren would make a real imposing rotation with top four all being aces for the playoffs.

last two seasons combined ,Hishshi pitched better WAR than Greinke or Ryu, although all three are right next to each other in rankings of all major league starters. out of 150 starting pitching spots available in all baseball, our lowest ranked pitcher among those four will be #22. in fact we would have 1, 19,20, and 22. not too shabby.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#126 » by Neddy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:24 am

we are in the Cole Hamel derby now. I wonder if we are trading Kemp to Seattle for Iwakuma, then turn around and trade Puig (they obviously would love a young star OF on a cheap long contract) for Hamels. then we can dump Haren to the Angels for a bullpen arm

Kershaw-Greinke-Hamels-Iwakuma-Ryu that would be the greatest rotation in history of baseball

if we can attach crawford and ether on those two deals it would be great. then we can start Van Slyke at RF, Joc at CF, and convert Guerrero and play him at LF. all of a sudden we have cheaper, younger OF with a couple of right handed bats to insert in to the lineup

1. L 2B Dee
2. R LF Alex
3. L 1B Gonzo
4. R RF Van Slyke
5. L CF Joc
6. R 3B Uribe
7. catcher
8. Erisbel as our short stop.

2 through 6 in the lineup with 20+ HR potential, hopefully we make a trade for at least a catcher who can hit around average for catchers. Erisbel is all glove and i expect nothing on his batsmanship. but our defense should suddenly be pretty damn good to help this crazy rotation.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#127 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:52 pm

that lineup scares me...

and quite frankly, I'm not sure Donnie is good enough to manage a team like that. He needs to front run with a team with great hitting talent..

we've also NEVER hit with Hanley out of the lineup in the last 2 seasons.
So id like to see another sure bat enter our lineup.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#128 » by Neddy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:04 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:that lineup scares me...

and quite frankly, I'm not sure Donnie is good enough to manage a team like that. He needs to front run with a team with great hitting talent..

we've also NEVER hit with Hanley out of the lineup in the last 2 seasons.
So id like to see another sure bat enter our lineup.

chances are we will make a couple more additions to that lineup, although i don't expect a big name free agent. maybe alexi ramirez, very likely an upgrade in a catcher.

but what scares me more is the sudden collapse of Puig's ability to hit high and away fastballs. his second half of the season, running into the playoffs where if not for that one triple, he would have struck out 9 in a row? they were all up and away fastballs, mixed in with up and away sliders. if puig can't hit fastballs like he did a season before, when he led the league in fastball BA, we have a problem. looking into this, his fastball BA a 2013 season, were all in the inner half of the plate. a classic case of down and away off stuff, up and in hard stuff pitching that most do against power hitters actually worked in Puig's favor. what pitchers seem to have figured out in last 2 months or so of the 2014 season, is that they have to pitch to him like he is a left handed hitter and it worked like a charm.

now add that to Gonzo's lost of bat speed, both Puig and Gonzo's batting average drops significantly against fastballs that are faster than 93 mph. under 93, both hit around .300 or higher. above 93, puig was below .200 and Gonzo .240. this is very alarming, Uribe's .340 BABIP cannot be sustained either. next season if we have Puig-Gonzo-Uribe in the heart of the order we could be in a massive trouble.

guess who is the deadeye hardball hitter... MR SLG% Scott Van Slyke. insert him as the clean up, give him 650 BAs, he may lead the league in HRs or at least compete with Giancarlo Stanton.

Although the data on Alex is thin and we all know he isn't a defensive upgrade from Hanley, but he has been playing corner outfield since returning from Olivo eating his ear off. he has posted a very promising stats down in AAA, I think he can be a dynamic right handed bat and hitting in front of Gonzo will help even more.

Joc should really be hitting the 7th hole, and he will if we get alexi ramirez.

but the key here, isn't the lineup.

it's the rotation. this hypothetical team is your classic, Pitching and Defense Dodger Baseball, my man.

nice idea at the lowered payroll Guggenheim wants, a novel idea but a very realistic and if made, will lead the league in pretty much everything pitching wise. that's not a euphemistic 3 aces or 4 aces. this is a literal case of 5 aces.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#129 » by Neddy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:08 pm

here is a nice article about Puig's playoff troubles.

I have read a much in-depth, very statistically thorough article elsewhere that goes into the regular season and playoffs struggle for each player and each zone, but that was not in English so no point posting that here but that used a part of its reasoning based on this fangraphs article.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-review ... g-contact/

Puig may beat this, just like how he overcame his inability with the off stuff a season before, but with expected trade of Kemp and Hanley being gone, I have no confidence that Don Mattingly could have the foresight to start and place SVS where he needs to be unless he was the only option there. Puig at the heart of the order as the lone right handed power hitter versus SVS, I like Scott hitting the cleanup rather than sitting on the bench. Scott can't bring in as much haul in a trade, but Puig can. if Puig can get us Hamel without giving up our top 3 prospects, and be replaced by a player who can fill our need of a power righty in the middle of the lineup better, why not? the overall WAR value that Hamel and Scott will replace over Puig and say, Haren? this is a steal imo.
ehhhhh f it.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#130 » by Fresh360Waves » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:57 am

Yunel Escobar is on the block. Solid defensive SS and would take less to get him than Alexei Ramirez. Also the fact Friedman is familiar with him helps too.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/537380447203110912[/tweet]
Neddy
RealGM

Post#131 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:03 am

Fresh360Waves wrote:Yunel Escobar is on the block. Solid defensive SS and would take less to get him than Alexei Ramirez. Also the fact Friedman is familiar with him helps too.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/537380447203110912[/tweet]

a big HELL NO from me.

Yunel Escobar is one of the very few everyday shortstops with qualifying at bats to play worse defense than Hanley. we need an upgrade in defense at SS, not a down grade.

remember, the Rays are offering this guy because they have one of the best SS prospect in 2 year old ham-ju lee who before the season ending surgery a year and half ago, was the hottest infield prospect since guys like Arod and Nomar. after the injury his bat suffered a little but this 6-2 SS from south korea is their future. Escobar is junk.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#132 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:20 am

Yunel is a turd who works umpires nerves.
He drove Bobby Cox nuts....I'm scared off of him forever.

you're doing a good job selling me on SVS btw as an everyday starter btw.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#133 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:58 am

looks like our front office is banking on Corey Seager at SS in a year.

then How about Jimmy Rollins? his contract is only for 1 more season, he is a switch hitter with better than .700 OPS, 17 HRs last season, and best of it all, he was the 6th best defensive shortstop in all baseball.

a great stop gap option. if we can somehow make a package to bring in Hamels too, that would be an icing on the cake. Dominic Brown played terribly last season at LF, Ben Revere can't get on base unless he makes a hit, ala Juan Pierre, and Marlon Bird is what, 37? 38? he did hit 25 or so home runs but he is old and has 1 more year left at 8 million.

Hamels + Rollins + Bird (a pinch hitter for us or flip him and sell him to the mariners ) for Kemp + Crawford + Lee + Red + Arruebaruena + cash
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#134 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:26 am

I'll hold on to hope of us dealing for Alexei.
J. Roll finally played decent last year but I don't trust it. I feel like i know what I'm getting with Alexei.

Man I miss Han-Ram already.
his post on Instagram post made me tear up. I'm actually very proud of how he matured while he was in Dodger Blue and tried to be a winner.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#135 » by Neddy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:06 am

well its really what the Whitesox are asking in return, which is a lot, versus the Phillies, not as much.

besides, Jimmy is the better defender. he only has one year left versus Alexis' two. Seager if on schedule, should be up after next season.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#136 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:29 am

yea. wish i had some intel on why Friedman and Co. are now projecting Seager at SS and want to keep him there.

I'll be honest. I've been saying this since the end of the season.
I want to do a Blockbuster with Colorado for Tulo.

and I like the idea even more now with Seager coming up for the SS spot in a year because Tulo can move to 3rd and I think he'd get injured less at that position.

give me your thoughts. then I'll tell you what kind of deal I would try to leverage.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#137 » by Neddy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:52 am

Quake Griffin wrote:yea. wish i had some intel on why Friedman and Co. are now projecting Seager at SS and want to keep him there.

I'll be honest. I've been saying this since the end of the season.
I want to do a Blockbuster with Colorado for Tulo.

and I like the idea even more now with Seager coming up for the SS spot in a year because Tulo can move to 3rd and I think he'd get injured less at that position.

give me your thoughts. then I'll tell you what kind of deal I would try to leverage.

they will ask Seager to be a part of the package. they are rebuilding. and I don't want Tulo and his glass body. we had one guy just like that already before. remember nomar? or more recently, Hanley? Knowing what the Rockies are asking, it's going to be a bad deal for whoever takes him.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#138 » by Neddy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:32 am

how about Kemp to Mariners for Iwakuma and Brad Miller? Miller is a pretty average hitter who makes up his lack of contact for above average power for a SS, but his defense last season was just a single slot below Alexi Ramirez. i would like to have Seager come up a season after next to try out at SS but eventually settle at 3rd base with a sure glove of young Miller at SS.

or if we don't like Miller, we can simply extend Uribe at 3rd and use Seager at SS.
ehhhhh f it.
Cracka2Hi
Junior
And1: 10

Post#139 » by Cracka2Hi » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:00 pm

Man some of the ideas in here are CRAZY! The team won 92 games last year. The obvious problem was the bullpen and the fact Kershaw turns into a AAA pitcher after the 5th inning against the Cards. I don't think the team needs such drastic measures like trading the entire lineup lol. I'm not upset the team lost Hanley. He got too much money for a NL team. That said, there is no denying the Dodgers were better last year when he was healthy. The offense was a lot better. The team still needs to replace his offense. I don't think moving Kemp is the answer. I would like to see the team go after either Andrew Miller or Luke Gregerson. Both would be better. Then maybe pickup Neshak or Romo. Or both. The team could use 3 BP arms IMO and is only adding fringe 40 man roster guys so far.

The team seems to be taking more of a moneyball approach. I don't see them going after a big time starter or trading the farm for a guy like Hammels. They will more likely add a #4-5 type starter like McCarthy, Kuroda or Hammel. I like the idea of adding Rollins. They have to add a SS for sure and the options are bleak. Rollins is one guy who makes sense and may be available for a reasonable price. He won't replace Hanley's offense but is a much better defender. He would fit nicely in the lineup hitting 2nd or 6th. Rollins might be enough to make us not miss Hanley and is the perfect bridge to Seager.

The team needs to dump an OF obviously. i think they should just bite the bullet and eat however much Ethier's contract as it takes to dump him. I like Pederson but he certainly did not look ready to go in his 30 something AB's last year. Small sample size for sure but I'd rather see Kemp, Puig and Crawford in the OF opening day. I can see why some still want to trade Kemp but trading Kemp after letting Hanley walk would feel like Depodesta all over again. No thanks. Try to add to a near WS team rather than blowing it up. Here's what I would like to see;

Sign a set up man like Miller or Gregerson
Sign another set up man like Neshak or Romo
Sign a 4th starter like McCarthy or Kuroda
Trade for Jimmy Rollins
Trade Ethier and League

Team would look close to last year and be a little better defensively with a much better BP in theory.

2B Gordon
SS Rollins
1B Gonzalez
RF Kemp
CF Puig
LF Crawford
3B Uribe
C Ellis

OF/1B Van Slyke
IF Turner
OF Pederson
SS Rojas
C Butera/FedX

SP Kershaw
SP Grienke
SP Ryu
SP McCarthy/Kuroda
SP Haren

CL Jansen
SU Miller/Gregerson
BP Neshak/Romo
BP Wilson
BP Peralta
BP Howell
Neddy
RealGM

Post#140 » by Neddy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:23 pm

Cracka2Hi wrote:Man some of the ideas in here are CRAZY! The team won 92 games last year. The obvious problem was the bullpen and the fact Kershaw turns into a AAA pitcher after the 5th inning against the Cards. I don't think the team needs such drastic measures like trading the entire lineup lol. I'm not upset the team lost Hanley. He got too much money for a NL team. That said, there is no denying the Dodgers were better last year when he was healthy. The offense was a lot better. The team still needs to replace his offense. I don't think moving Kemp is the answer. I would like to see the team go after either Andrew Miller or Luke Gregerson. Both would be better. Then maybe pickup Neshak or Romo. Or both. The team could use 3 BP arms IMO and is only adding fringe 40 man roster guys so far.

The team seems to be taking more of a moneyball approach. I don't see them going after a big time starter or trading the farm for a guy like Hammels. They will more likely add a #4-5 type starter like McCarthy, Kuroda or Hammel. I like the idea of adding Rollins. They have to add a SS for sure and the options are bleak. Rollins is one guy who makes sense and may be available for a reasonable price. He won't replace Hanley's offense but is a much better defender. He would fit nicely in the lineup hitting 2nd or 6th. Rollins might be enough to make us not miss Hanley and is the perfect bridge to Seager.

The team needs to dump an OF obviously. i think they should just bite the bullet and eat however much Ethier's contract as it takes to dump him. I like Pederson but he certainly did not look ready to go in his 30 something AB's last year. Small sample size for sure but I'd rather see Kemp, Puig and Crawford in the OF opening day. I can see why some still want to trade Kemp but trading Kemp after letting Hanley walk would feel like Depodesta all over again. No thanks. Try to add to a near WS team rather than blowing it up. Here's what I would like to see;

Sign a set up man like Miller or Gregerson
Sign another set up man like Neshak or Romo
Sign a 4th starter like McCarthy or Kuroda
Trade for Jimmy Rollins
Trade Ethier and League

Team would look close to last year and be a little better defensively with a much better BP in theory.

2B Gordon
SS Rollins
1B Gonzalez
RF Kemp
CF Puig
LF Crawford
3B Uribe
C Ellis

OF/1B Van Slyke
IF Turner
OF Pederson
SS Rojas
C Butera/FedX

SP Kershaw
SP Grienke
SP Ryu
SP McCarthy/Kuroda
SP Haren

CL Jansen
SU Miller/Gregerson
BP Neshak/Romo
BP Wilson
BP Peralta
BP Howell

first of all, cracka, good to see ya man.

but what you are not getting is that the Guggenheim Financial hired Andrew Friedman and practically fired Ned Colletti because they want the payroll to go down around 190 mil next year. it has nothing to do with winning.

what we are brainstorming around here is to WIN while cutting back on the cost.

Kuroda is not coming back here no matter how much money you throw at him.

to say trade Andre Either and Crawford is easy, but who? who in their right mind would take those guys at the salary they are getting paid? eating their salary is one thing, but does that still not count against the cap? if you have an idea, i would like to know. Kemp on the block is not only because it is more realistic, but because it is the reality. he IS on the block as we speak.

sign another setup man at what cost? we traded for Joel Peralta already for that specific reason and unless we can dump Wilson and League's salary, it ain't happening. I still see improvement on the pen but it will be through a trade for a younger, cheaper talent not via FA signing.

it's easy to say trade the worse players on higher contract but would we take on Ryan Howard's contract? doubt it. there has to be a need on the team trading for, and financially it has to help us shed salary. after all, that is the goal of this off season by Guggenheim first, not winning at all cost like last season.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers