So how about those Dodgers?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

So how about those Dodgers? 

Post#1 » by TNBT » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:33 pm

I'm not much of a baseball fan, and my interest in the game so far has been with the White Sox and Yankees, but I am interested in learning more about the Dodgers. I was hoping someone could give me a bit of an intro to the team, who the best and worst players are, what sort of team the Dodgers are, strengths and weaknesses, and so on? Any help would be appreciated.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,836

Re: So how about those Dodgers? 

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Mon Nov 1, 2010 8:53 pm

Owner: The McCourt's are going through a nasty divorce right now, so from a financial standpoint I'm not sure how the upcoming years are going to play out. Do they have the money to re-sign their young core once their arbitration years are up? Can they sign any key FA's?

General Manager: Ned Colletti, yikes. An outspoken GM, who makes more mistakes than good. How a GM that incompetent still has a job, I'll never know.

Manager: Don Mattingly replaces Joe Torre. This is good news. Torre is nice and all, but he doesn't fit in the National League in my opinion. Mattingly has a good relationship with the players, namely Matt Kemp, so I think he'll be able to help him get to the next level as a player.

Players: Matt Kemp, Chad Billingsley, Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw, Jonathan Broxton, is a good, young nucleus to build a team around. Loney isn't a bad player either, his defense is outstanding, he just doesn't have much of a bat, but the potential for one is there.

Not much of an intro, but that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure Phil would be able to give you a better rundown, but when I think of more, I'll add to this.

All in all, it's a great team to root for as they always draw in big crowds and are in a market where they have to be competitive year in and year out.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#3 » by TNBT » Tue Nov 2, 2010 3:17 am

Thanks for the info mate. I appreciate it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,254

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Tue Nov 1, 2011 8:43 pm

Well... It's a year later... And the Dodgers are still more interesting due to things off the field than on...

Is there an end in sight, or are we looking at a McCourt=Sterling, Clippers-level of perpetual ineptitude here?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,254

Post#5 » by Kilroy » Wed Nov 2, 2011 8:03 pm

Kilroy wrote:Well... It's a year later... And the Dodgers are still more interesting due to things off the field than on...

Is there an end in sight, or are we looking at a McCourt=Sterling, Clippers-level of perpetual ineptitude here?

Ask and ye shall receive...
McCourt sells out...

Owner Frank McCourt reached an agreement with Major League Baseball on Tuesday night to sell the Los Angeles Dodgers, along with Dodger Stadium and the surrounding real estate, a decision that brings to end not only a six-month legal battle with baseball commissioner Bud Selig but also a 7½-year ownership that was simply never embraced by the team's fan base.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/7180599/frank-mccourt-agrees-sell-los-angeles-dodgers

This has to be a good thing.

(The sound of one hand clapping...)
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers