ImageImageImageImageImage

Yasiel Puig GOAT watch... OK... Surprisingly good watch.

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Yasiel Puig GOAT watch... OK... Surprisingly good watch. 

Post#1 » by Kilroy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:18 am

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9402657/comparing-los-angeles-dodgers-rookie-yasiel-puig-others-present

How impressive is Puig? All that speed and power come in an imposing 6-foot-3, 235-pound package, so Bo Jackson's name is getting tossed around a lot these days. One talent evaluator contacted for this story compared him to Roberto Clemente, and an AL scout seemed grateful for the opportunity to talk about him.

"When you see special things happen on a baseball field, it gives you tingles," the scout said. "I'd like to help you write a great story on this kid, because I think he's a freak."

Entering Wednesday's day-night doubleheader against the Yankees in the Bronx, Puig is hitting .479 (23-for-48) with a 1.271 OPS and a dramatic flair that can't be quantified. He hits grand slams to win games, throws out baserunners to end games, and leaps moderately sized buildings in a single bound.

When baseball personnel people try to summon names from the past to describe budding stars in the present, some habits are hard to break. Historical comparisons are typically made along racial or ethnic lines, so Lorenzo Cain gets compared to Mike Cameron, Christian Yelich is likened to Jacoby Ellsbury or a young Shawn Green, and Yasiel Puig's main comps are Jackson, Raul Mondesi, a young Sammy Sosa or his fellow Cuban defector, Cespedes.

But Puig is so unlike anything that's arrived on the scene in recent years, it's doubly challenging for scouts to get a read on him. Although he's very raw in a lot of ways, three of his five tools -- power, speed and arm -- rate a 70 or above on the 20-80 scouts' scale. The other two, his glove and pure hitting ability, are well above average.

"With some players it's really easy to say, 'He reminds me of someone,'" said an AL pro scouting director. "With others you have a hard time. I don't really have a comparison for this guy. He's Puig."

Here's hoping this doesn't jinx him, but he's been one of the brighter spots in recent Dodger Blues history. I think he deserves a thread at this point.

Nice shot in the Bronx too.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,819

Re: Yasiel Puig GOAT watch... OK... Surprisingly good watc 

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:38 am

Nope, didn't jinx him. Went yard tonight in Petco of all places. Opposite field too. Beast.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#3 » by Kilroy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:54 am

Another monster game tonight against the Giants in LA...
I may be a believer...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Mon Jul 1, 2013 9:09 pm

June at Dodger Stadium has felt like a giant, monthlong party. They may as well name it Yasiel Puig month.

Puig capped off his first calendar month as a Major Leaguer in predictable four-for-five fashion Sunday including a bloop triple, a double and two stolen bases. The only surprise came when he struck out on a high fastball in the eighth inning. If ever a cycle seemed imminent, it was then. Even Dodgers Manager Don Mattingly said he wouldn’t have been surprised to see it.

Puig’s 44 hits since being called up on June 3 are not only a monthly rookie record in Dodgers history — breaking Steve Sax’s 43 in August of 1982 — but they’re the second-highest total for a player’s first calendar month in MLB history behind only Joe DiMaggio (48, May 1936).

Puig and DiMaggio are the only two players to collect at least 40 hits and four home runs in that month too.

“I’m really excited to be part of that list,” Puig said Sunday, “but more excited that the team is winning.”...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-yasiel-puig-month-20130630,0,7414883.story

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/37595/a-look-at-all-of-yasiel-puigs-44-hits-in-june

Yasiel Puig hit .436 in his first month in the majors, the highest batting average of any player in June. He also hit .500 on balls in play, which is certainly unsustainable over a full season. Put it this way: A little luck has to go into hitting .400, or we'd have more players routinely hitting .400, even for a calendar month. Since 2010, there have been 19 instances of a player hitting .400 for a calendar month (minimum 100 plate appearances), so it happens, on average, about once a month (19 times in 21 months).

But how lucky was Puig? ESPN Stats and Info keeps track of "well-hit" average, or the percentage of at-bats ending with a hard-hit ball, based on video review of every at-bat. Puig's well-hit average in June? A mere .188, which ranked 78th in the majors, below Luis Valbuena's .190; Luis Valbuena hit .190 in June, which is not the same as hitting .436.

Now, well-hit average admittedly contains subjective analysis; and well-hit averages are lower than regular batting average -- Miguel Cabrera and Andrew McCutchen, for example, were the only players with a well-hit average above .300 in June.

Mark Simon tells me that only 7-8 percent of groundballs are classified as well-hit, and Puig does hit a lot of groundballs; his groundball percentage of balls in play was 54 percent, 25th-highest in June; with the exception of Mark Trumbo, most of the players with similar rates to Puig wouldn't be classified as power hitters. ...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#5 » by Kilroy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Lots of huge ups and lesser downs since the break...

Question is, is Puig a keeper? His value is probably at an all-time high right now, and I can't help feeling like he's the biggest single factor in our turn around this season...

But is his head too big for LA? You know the Yanks and Boston, etc are going to try to back the truck up for him... I don't see him staying.

His baseball issues are all relatively minor... If he wants to correct them, he can. But sort of like Dwight Howard, if he'd rather just move on to a team that will ignore them, maybe he bolts...

I just wonder if as the pressure increases and the criticism starts to increase, does he ask for a trade?
True_Laker_Fan
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#6 » by True_Laker_Fan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:42 am

This kid is only 22 years old right now and just starting - he is going to be something else in a few years and will be greatly feared. What's nice is he is coming into the MLB in the era of decline for steroids, so he will be watched carefully and have no choice but to do it the honest way.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#7 » by Neddy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:42 pm

Kilroy wrote:But is his head too big for LA? You know the Yanks and Boston, etc are going to try to back the truck up for him... I don't see him staying.

yasiel is signed with us until the end of 2018 season. the dodgers are the biggest spenders in baseball right now. i don't see it.
ehhhhh f it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:44 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking about him being a free agent. I think I was thinking he was on an NBA Rookie contract or something. :)
That said, I still wonder if he sticks until 2018... He seems to have a huge ego, and I wonder how getting benched repeatedly is sitting with him... I think he deserved to be benched btw... I just wonder if he does.

He's been a major part of our offense this season.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#9 » by Kilroy » Fri Oct 4, 2013 4:56 pm

If I were a Dodgers fan, I’d be nervous about [Yasiel] Puig in October. He’s as likely to cost the Dodgers a playoff game with a needless mistake as he is to win one on a walk-off home run.

The up-to-date postseason scoreboard: Puig 1, Morosi 0.

Puig didn’t cost the Dodgers a playoff game Thursday. In fact, he did quite the opposite. Aside from Clayton Kershaw — whose 12 strikeouts set a Dodgers postseason record for pitchers not named Koufax — Puig delivered the most impactful performance in a 6-1 win over Atlanta in Game 1 of the National League Division Series.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/los-angeles-dodgers-yasiel-puig-provides-spark-early-in-nlds-atlanta-braves-100413

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers