ImageImageImageImageImage

2014 Playoff/WS Thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Re: 2014 Los Angeles Dodgers Playoff Thread 

Post#41 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Oct 5, 2014 1:53 pm

i texted my father and told him I wanted 2 outs from Greinke in the top of the 8th.
Donnie decides to play lefty lefty with Howell because they have 3 left handers coming up. The move "makes sense" but I didn't like it and it was because of Howell more than anything. What do you know, it promptly backfires. Oddly enough, Greinke told Donnie he could get Carpenter (I wanted 2 outs, Carpenter would have been the 2nd batter).

just saying all that to say, I hate that Greinke played that well and doesnt get to put a W in his postseason win column.

We have 1 day to figure out how to get Carpenter out.
trying to do some HW. Looks like Ryu has a K over him in their 1st meeting this year. Also looks like Carpenter went 0-4 in Game 3 last season (looking like 0-3 gainst Ryu).

This team DID NOT have a good offense in the regular season. I view them as opportunistic and dangerous for the postseason, but I think we can silence their bats. For some reason i just trust the hell out of Ryu right now.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Ryu's Health 

Post#42 » by Ranma » Sun Oct 5, 2014 3:07 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:For some reason i just trust the hell out of Ryu right now.

I would too normally but there's lingering concerns about his health. He said he'd be fine before then left his last start due to a glute issue, I believe. I'm concerned that he's either not communicating his condition properly or that he's made his previous physical ailment worse. In any case, dude is a gamer and will do what he possibly can, but that could also be the problem as well.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Re: Ryu's Health 

Post#43 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Oct 5, 2014 6:23 pm

Ranma wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:For some reason i just trust the hell out of Ryu right now.

I would too normally but there's lingering concerns about his health. He said he'd be fine before then left his last start due to a glute issue, I believe. I'm concerned that he's either not communicating his condition properly or that he's made his previous physical ailment worse. In any case, dude is a gamer and will do what he possibly can, but that could also be the problem as well.

nah. that was in August. He left his last start due to a shoulder. It was definitely weird. He threw one inning vs. the Giants, got creamed and didn't come back.

we'll see. For some reason I think his shoulder is just fine and he's ready to go. I could be way wrong but I hope not.

Btw.
If we win, do we do the 3 days rest thing for Kershaw or do we go with Haren?
I want to go with Haren if we win Game 3.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Rest Period 

Post#44 » by Ranma » Sun Oct 5, 2014 7:12 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Btw.
If we win, do we do the 3 days rest thing for Kershaw or do we go with Haren?
I want to go with Haren if we win Game 3.

Given the collapse in Game 1 and also his struggles the previous postseason against the very same Cardinals on 3 days rest, I'm not sure Clayton is ready mentally, so I would prefer not to compound the issue physically. Kershaw is still the guy I'm willing to live or die by, but Mattingly has to start putting his players in positions to succeed rather than fail. I'm not exactly confident in Haren, but I'd take the chance with him if given a 2-1 series lead.

However, if we lose to go down 1-2 against the Cards, we have to strongly consider going with Kershaw on 3 days rest as much as I really hate that idea.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#45 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Oct 5, 2014 10:23 pm

Ranma
RealGM

RUMOR: Ned Chasing Panda in San Francisco 

Post#46 » by Ranma » Mon Oct 6, 2014 1:04 am

Quake Griffin wrote:http://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-rumors-pablo-sandoval-could-sign-big-deal-with-los-angeles/2014/10/05

check out this bull

I just posted a thread about this. I went ahead and deleted it to copy-and-paste my thoughts below.

Nick Cafardo, The Boston Globe (10/5/14)
For the Giants, the Sandoval experience has entailed years of having to play the weight game.

He’s been so overweight at times (up to 278 pounds one year) and even now in his walk year, Sandoval, according to one Giants official, is 20 pounds heavier than he was in spring training after he had lost 30 pounds.

That’s part of the reason the Giants have trouble going beyond three years. Eventually the Giants believe Sandoval’s weight will prevent him from being a top defensive third baseman. So going to the American League, where a team eventually will be able to play him at DH, might be his best move.

Nonetheless, most major league executives we’ve talked to believe Sandoval will wind up with a five-year deal worth about $100 million. That could be with the Red Sox, Yankees, or Dodgers.

Besides his weight, the other red flag is his declining OPS the last four years. He’s gone from .909 to.789, to .758 to .739. Overall, he hit .279 with 16 homers and 73 RBIs.

Overall, the feeling is he’s never lived up to full expectations in San Francisco, but on the positive side, he’s 28 years old and perhaps just heading into his prime years.

Big Deal Awaits Pablo Sandoval in Free Agency

Another one of the Moustache's hairbrained schemes to go back to his comfort zone in pulling from one of his old stomping grounds to try to fix the Dodgers. While Panda Sandoval is a talented offensive player, he'd have to move off 3B to 1B shortly after signing his next big deal a la Miggy Cabrera. Notice that we're the only National League team in pursuit of him when even his current Giants team is wary of committing to him long-term.

That's not even to mention that arguably the organization's top prospect's (Corey Seager) best position is probably 3B even as he's currently at SS. If the Dodgers are going to, in fact, operate within a budget, I'd rather devote our resources to fixing problems with more assured long-term solutions.

Heck, if he's hellbent on fixing the hot corner, why not go after J.J. Hardy to replace the likely departing Hanley Ramirez at short while we still have Juan Uribe at third until Seager is ready to take over SS to push Hardy to 3B?
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#47 » by Neddy » Mon Oct 6, 2014 2:28 am

first of all, it'a not like I know Ryu personally but i have followed him since his Hanhwa Eagles days, Ryu likes to play coy and rest himself before big games and have always delivered.

secondly, a big HELL NO to panda. but knowing how inept Don and Ned are, I wouldn't be surprised to find his gravity here with the dodgers. but please we can do without 49% out of strike swinging percentage of his.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#48 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Oct 6, 2014 8:45 pm

soooo nervous about tonight's game.

we can do this. come on blue.
Kemp and A-Gon look hungry....looking for Hanley to step up and hit a few rappers or even a HR.
Ranma
RealGM

Hoping for Bounce Back From Kid K 

Post#49 » by Ranma » Mon Oct 6, 2014 10:24 pm

Now I'm nervous about tomorrow's game.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/519250384616161280[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/519280256734068737[/tweet]
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Hoping for Bounce Back From Kid K 

Post#50 » by Neddy » Tue Oct 7, 2014 12:43 am

Ranma wrote:Now I'm nervous about tomorrow's game.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/519250384616161280[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/519280256734068737[/tweet]

oh christ. Haren maybe pass his peak but still is a big game pitcher. If Ryu wins tonight, being up 2-1 we should save kershaw and start Haren.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#51 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Oct 7, 2014 2:49 am

Dale Scott is developmentally disabled and his strike zone has been a thorn in our side tonight.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#52 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Oct 7, 2014 4:13 am

Don prematurely takes out a starter again for an SVS at bat with 2 outs and nobody on.

only this time we don't have the lead to stomach the homer we've given up.
we can't win with him as manager.

Im no longer worried about it or crying about it or hoping to win without him.
get rid of him.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#53 » by Neddy » Tue Oct 7, 2014 4:23 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Don prematurely takes out a starter again for an SVS at bat with 2 outs and nobody on.

only this time we don't have the lead to stomach the homer we've given up.
we can't win with him as manager.

Im no longer worried about it or crying about it or hoping to win without him.
get rid of him.

I was yelling at the TV with my Cardinal fan retired sheriff on my couch. I was telling him Donnie salty balls strikes again, why waste your best power hitting pinch hitter with nobody on base with two outs to sacrifice your starter who was coasting with less than 100 pitch count who showed no decline in velocity or location?

Donnie needs to go. the worst manager in dodger blue i have ever seen.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#54 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Oct 7, 2014 4:33 am

yea man.

i finally realize that we can't win inspite of him.
we'd need a PERFECT ball club.

no weaknesses in the lineup, starting pitching or bullpen.
the team would literally need to win itself. anything short of that, he wont be able to deliver. it's like clock work, the minute he has to make a decision in game, it backfires.....like AUTOMATICALLY.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#55 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Oct 7, 2014 4:34 am

side note...Dale Scott jobbed us tonight as well.
Ranma
RealGM

Puig Out of Game 4 

Post#56 » by Ranma » Tue Oct 7, 2014 5:54 pm

Yeah, that ump is a disgrace and further supports the notion that umpires should be replaced by machines that read the strike zone similarly employed in pro tennis with regards to line monitoring. I agree with Mattingly's latest move:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/519545362441187328[/tweet]
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#57 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Oct 7, 2014 9:12 pm

im ok with the Puig move.

****. couldn't catch up to Shelby Miller's stuff in the shadows.
come on Clay. be yourself this time around. u got this.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#58 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Oct 7, 2014 10:34 pm

he's out.

that's so crucial.
WHY NO CHALLENGE?????
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#59 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Oct 7, 2014 10:38 pm

thank you Matheny for picking us up and not challenging that.
Ranma
RealGM

Damn you, Sports Illustrated! 

Post#60 » by Ranma » Tue Oct 7, 2014 11:57 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/tomhoffarth/status/519633371668828161[/tweet]

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers