ImageImageImageImageImage

the 2014 OffSeason Thread.

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: the 2014 OffSeason Thread. 

Post#221 » by Neddy » Tue Jan 6, 2015 2:14 am

Dylan Bundy and Hunter Harvey. but the O's would have to be complete morons to trade either one of those guys for Ethier. even a youngster like Ofelky Peralta should be off limits.

maybe an older, less prospects like Tyler Wilson? and no, not the bust the raiders drafted a couple of years ago. but Wilson just got added to the 40 men roster so I doubt he is leaving anytime soon, unless he is the 40th man and is expandable to make room for Ethier, in that case i can see it happening. he is nothing special, tho.

David Hess, maybe?
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#222 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:47 am

yea…I'll just take a bullpen arm….please.

anywho.
Saw J. Roll's introductory press conference. What class. What charm…and what a perfect attitude for our future SS.

who is going to be our backup at SS?
Rojas was pretty nifty with the glove. We DFA Erisbel. Rollins has never been mistaken for an ironman. I think it's important we sure up a utility guy who can handle it incase Rollins has to miss a week or 2 etc. etc. during the season….which is perfectly plausible.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#223 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:30 am

also, if you could give me a breakdown on where you think Rollins is offensively.

Last year, it looks like Dee Gordon had him beat in OBP.
but he walked at a higher rate, struck out less and hit for more power.

what thoughts do u have on his production at the plate?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#224 » by Neddy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:02 am

Quake Griffin wrote:yea…I'll just take a bullpen arm….please.

anywho.
Saw J. Roll's introductory press conference. What class. What charm…and what a perfect attitude for our future SS.

who is going to be our backup at SS?
Rojas was pretty nifty with the glove. We DFA Erisbel. Rollins has never been mistaken for an ironman. I think it's important we sure up a utility guy who can handle it incase Rollins has to miss a week or 2 etc. etc. during the season….which is perfectly plausible.

Erisbel cleared the wavers and now sent to our AAA team in Oklahoma City. he is also given a invite to the spring training.

but our backup SS will be Darwin Barney.

I loved Rollins introduction too. and i would love to extend him a couple more years to retire a dodger. I still think the best position for Corey Seager is at the hot corner and timed perfectly as Uribe is expiring.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#225 » by Neddy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:05 am

Quake Griffin wrote:also, if you could give me a breakdown on where you think Rollins is offensively.

Last year, it looks like Dee Gordon had him beat in OBP.
but he walked at a higher rate, struck out less and hit for more power.

what thoughts do u have on his production at the plate?

he is slipping but still not at the bottom half among the SSs in terms of offensive production. couple that with him being still a top 5 defensive SS, he is still what exactly we needed.

I would say his production would be somewhere around 265 to 275 BA, 310 to 320 OBP, decent SLG for a SS adding up to average to slightly below average OPS than league average. I prefer he hits in the 8th hole but Im sure Donny the moron will have him leadoff.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#226 » by Neddy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:13 am

in fact, my ideal lineup as we are now would be

1. L LF Crawford : not good enough in terms of OBP and he is a career #2 hitter, but overall this is the best spot for us....
2. R RF Puig : ..... because Puig will hit behind Carl. Puig is the best hitter we will have in 2015 season.
3. L 1B Gonzo : bat speed falling but still veteran savvy.
4. R 2B Kendrick : I know this is unconventional, but it makes sense as he can still drive in runs here.
5. L CF Joc : Im sure this will be as much controversial as my cleanup hitter, but he will get 20-20 this season
6. R 3B Uribe : I expect him to have a drastic negative swing in terms of his BABIP
7. R C Grandal : I expect him to have a drastic positive swing in terms of his BABIP, and eventually swap spots with Juan
8. S SS Rollins : at this stage of his career, this is where he can excel the most.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#227 » by Neddy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:19 am

... versus what i think Don Mattingly will do...

1. S SS Rollins : his OBP will come into play
2. L LF Crawford
3. R RF Puig : hope he doesn't cave in to pressure of being #3 guy
4. L 1B Gonzo
5. R 2B Howie
6. R 3B Uribe
7. L CF Joc
8. R C Grandal

the problem i see with this lineup with that our top two hitters have poor OBP. you can't drive in runs when fewer runners are on base. compared to this, the other scenario have more frequent runners on base with Gonzo and Kendrick coming up, one has proven to bring runners in and the other can put the bat on the ball. what I think Donny's lineup will do is to make our lineup too back heavy thus wasting quality total at bats in 162 game season.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#228 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:37 am

why not puig lead off and Crawford 2nd?

I can see J. Roll getting frustrated hitting 8th but it can galvanize us if he does it without complaining.
it would be great to have Kershaw, Greinke n Ryu (pitchers who are good with the bat) moving him over as opposed to moving over Grandal.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#229 » by Neddy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:54 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:why not puig lead off and Crawford 2nd?

I can see J. Roll getting frustrated hitting 8th but it can galvanize us if he does it without complaining.
it would be great to have Kershaw, Greinke n Ryu (pitchers who are good with the bat) moving him over as opposed to moving over Grandal.

that's because we do need some bats with SLG to drive guys in... and Puig is our best hitter. I like the best hitter to bat second, kinda like what the Angels are doing with Trout.

and yeah i like having some speed on base with pitchers coming up.

but just for the entertainment value, say we do lead Puig off, then

Puig
Crawford
Gonzo
Kendrick
Joc
Uribe
Grandal
Rollins

we may score the most runs in the first than any other inning.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#230 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:12 am

i see, i see.

did you see that report that Puig is among the worst base runners in baseball? smfh.

anywho….what i really came to post.
We signed AJ Ellis to a one year deal and avoided arbitration.
Kershaw and Brandon McCarthy have already been reported as wanting him back or wanting to throw to him. This does not sit well with me. I want Grandal getting most of the reps behind the plate this season if health permits. We have to trade AJ or 2 out of every 5 starts are going to be by pitchers insisting sucky ass Ellis is catching and in the lineup.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#231 » by Neddy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:18 am

Quake Griffin wrote:i see, i see.

did you see that report that Puig is among the worst base runners in baseball? smfh.

Kershaw and Brandon McCarthy have already been reported as wanting him back or wanting to throw to him. This does not sit well with me. I want Grandal getting most of the reps behind the plate this season if health permits. We have to trade AJ or 2 out of every 5 starts are going to be by pitchers insisting sucky ass Ellis is catching and in the lineup.

Puig's baserunning is raw and has made some boneheaded moves, but he can flat out run. he will get better as he gains more experience.

as for AJ, it's actually fine for me. I don't think AJ will ever hit below .200 again in rest of his career, and out of all the weak stats he possesses he does have one strong defensive metric that Yasmani does not... and that is throwing runners out at 33% rate in his career.

I'm okay with AJ catching Kershaw and McCarthy, that means Yasmani will catch Greinke (he already prefers offensive catcher as he trusts his own pitch selection) and Ryu (this guy can really use that extra 150 strikes from better framing than AJ ) back to back then catch Anderson. each catcher gets plenty of rests and stay sharp through out the season which can only help when the playoffs come around, compared to say guys like Posey who will start to break down as his already repaired body ages. besides, it allows Grandal to be ready at late inning pinch hitting situations on days he is not starting. that's another plus to have in your back pocket.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#232 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 am

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:i see, i see.

Puig's baserunning is raw and has made some boneheaded moves, but he can flat out run. he will get better as he gains more experience.

as for AJ, it's actually fine for me. I don't think AJ will ever hit below .200 again in rest of his career, and out of all the weak stats he possesses he does have one strong defensive metric that Yasmani does not... and that is throwing runners out at 33% rate in his career.

I'm okay with AJ catching Kershaw and McCarthy, that means Yasmani will catch Greinke (he already prefers offensive catcher as he trusts his own pitch selection) and Ryu (this guy can really use that extra 150 strikes from better framing than AJ ) back to back then catch Anderson. each catcher gets plenty of rests and stay sharp through out the season which can only help when the playoffs come around, compared to say guys like Posey who will start to break down as his already repaired body ages. besides, it allows Grandal to be ready at late inning pinch hitting situations on days he is not starting. that's another plus to have in your back pocket.

Dylan Hernandez ✔ @dylanohernandez
Follow
Mattingly said he doesn't know how Dodgers will split playing time at catcher.
10:36 AM - 14 Jan 2015

I'm telling you man. I really don't like this. I would have rather done Yasmani and Butera than Yasmani and Ellis.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers