ImageImageImageImageImage

Prospects and trade discussion

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

BA Prospects Update 

Post#361 » by Ranma » Sun May 15, 2016 4:19 pm

Vince Lara-Cinisomo, Baseball America (5/15/16)
Julio Urias, lhp, Dodgers. The Dodgers were already considering promoting the top pitching prospect in baseball and he’s done nothing to slow that train of thought. The 19-year-old lefthander extended his scoreless streak to 22 on Saturday, pitching six scoreless innings as Triple-A Oklahoma City beat Las Vegas (Mets) 1-0. Urias leads the PCL with a 1.25 ERA and has allowed just 21 hits in 36 innings. He’s struck out 39 and walked just eight. At this point, there’s not much more left for Urias to prove. The last teenaged Mexican lefthander to hit L.A. with this kind of hype was Fernando Valenzuela, who was 19 years old and 319 days when he was called up in 1980. Urias is 19 years and 277 days. Could Julio-mania be far off?

Cody Bellinger, 1b, Dodgers. Bellinger, who missed most of April because of a hip injury, hit his first homer in Double-A Saturday, a game-winning grand slam in the 10th inning as Tulsa beat Arkansas (Angels) 6-2. One of the youngest players in Double-A at just 20, Bellinger clubbed 30 homers a year ago at high Class A as his plus raw power started showing up in games. The son of former Yankee Clay Bellinger, Cody is just knocking the rust off, and he has just 10 hits in his first 56 at-bats.

Baseball America Prospect Report (May 15)
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Cody Bellinger Feature by Cary Osborne (May, 2016) 

Post#362 » by Ranma » Mon May 16, 2016 1:53 am

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Notable Dodgers Prospects Making Progress 

Post#363 » by Ranma » Wed May 25, 2016 5:18 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/734078980500918272[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/733840385068277768[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/billplunkettocr/status/734097138443898881[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/735202981331795968[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/734799366188371968[/tweet]

Mike Rosenbaum, MLB.com (5/23/16)
1B: Cody Bellinger, Dodgers (No. 5 prospect)
7 G, .429/.538/.952, 5 R, 2 2B, 3 HR, 5 RBIs, 5 BB, 3 K

Bellinger was sidelined with a hip injury for most of April and then went just 4-for-37 with zero extra-base hits in his first 11 games for Double-A Tulsa upon returning. The 2013 fourth-rounder began to find his groove last week, though, as five of his nine hits went for extra bases. On Sunday, Bellinger powered the Drillers to a 6-4 win over Northwest Arkansas with his go-ahead two-run homer in the top of the 11th inning.

Rays' Adames, Dodgers' Bellinger Lead Prospect Team of the Week

Ben Badler, Matt Eddy, Josh Norris & Vince Lara-Cinisomo, Baseball America (5/20/16)
8. Alex Verdugo, of, Dodgers

Team: Double-A Tulsa (Texas)
Why He’s Here: .450/.522/.900 (9-for-20), 6 R, 3 2B, 2 HR, 3 RBIs, 3 BB, 4 SO

The Scoop: We snuck Verdugo into the final position of this year’s Top 100 Prospects, and the center fielder’s production has trended upward in May after a .260 April. The youngest player in the Texas Leauge on Opening Day, Verdugo hit .450 with power this week and has hit .343/.397/.627 with nine extra-base hits in his last 17 games. The 2014 second-rounder out of high school made steady improvement in 2015, too, showing a tendency to make adjustments to higher levels of play. (ME)

15. Cody Bellinger, 1b, Dodgers

Team: Double-A Tulsa (Texas)
Why He’s Here: .400/.478/.950 (8-for-20), 5 R, 2 2B, 3 HR, 9 RBIs, 3 BB, 3 SO

The Scoop: A week ago Bellinger—who hit 30 homers last season—was hitting .137 without a homer in his first stab at Double-A. Flash forward a week, and that’s all forgotten. Bellinger hit his third homer in five games and went 4-for-4 Thursday. A hip issue might have contributed to his early struggles, but his plus power is showing up, and his rising walk rate shows good aptitude. (VLC)

Prospect Hot Sheet (May 20): Bregman Roars Back Into Action

Jonah Keri, CBS Sports (5/20/16)
Julio Urias, SP, Los Angeles Dodgers

A 19-year-old wunderkind, Urias has a chance to develop into an All-Star starter over the next few years. The Dodgers might have other plans, though, albeit more immediate ones than the Pirates and Rays have with their own top starter prospects. Urias has been unhittable at Triple-A Oklahoma City, striking out 39 batters and walking just eight in 36 innings pitched, with just 21 hits allowed and a 1.25 ERA. Combine those credentials with the Dodgers' gaping bullpen holes in front of excellent closer Kenley Jansen, as well as the Dodgers potentially wanting to limit Urias's workload at this tender age, and we could see him become a high-leverage reliever at Chavez Ravine some time very soon.

These Six MLB Prospects Could Soon Be This Year's Kris Bryant or Carlos Correa
Ranma
RealGM

Buehler Set to Return 

Post#364 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 9, 2016 1:08 am

Jon Weisman, DodgerInsider.com (6/8/16)
And on top of that, their top pick from 2015, Walker Buehler — who had Tommy John surgery in August before appearing in a professional game — is on course to make this year’s haul even stronger.

“Walker Buehler’s going to be ready to throw next year — he’s almost like a pick this year,” Gasparino said. “We feel good about his recovery, his rehab and where he’s at in the process.”

Buehler is following a 15-month plan, throwing light bullpen sessions, and is moving toward facing live hitters in instructional league, according to Gasparino.

“Everything’s looked good,” Gasparino said. “Velocity, arm action, delivery. We’re having to more slow him down than anything else.”

As Dodgers Eye 2016 draft, 2015 Selections Progress
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Prospects and trade discussion 

Post#365 » by Neddy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:38 am

so, Gavin Lux, Will Smith, and Jordan Sheffield in the first day. I like the latter two picks but I am not sure about the high school SS from WIsconsin. I was not familar with him and after the selection I did some reaerch on his videos and I don't know if I am confident in his swing. haven't seen his glove and they are glowing with reviews about his fielding, so I have to take their words for it but in the box, I am not impressed one bit with his swing. hope I am wrong.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Check Out the Draft Thread 

Post#366 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:05 am

Neddy wrote:so, Gavin Lux, Will Smith, and Jordan Sheffield in the first day. I like the latter two picks but I am not sure about the high school SS from WIsconsin. I was not familar with him and after the selection I did some reaerch on his videos and I don't know if I am confident in his swing. haven't seen his glove and they are glowing with reviews about his fielding, so I have to take their words for it but in the box, I am not impressed one bit with his swing. hope I am wrong.

Hey, Neddy.

Check out our discussion in the draft thread starting with today's activities. Your boy Logan Ice was taken by Cleveland while my guy Cooper Johnson still hasn't been drafted.
Ranma
RealGM

Progress with Montas 

Post#367 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:59 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheDeliMan1/status/743315058931826690[/tweet]
Ranma
RealGM

Calhoun's 5-RBI Night and 5th HR in 9 Games 

Post#368 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:29 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MiLB/status/743338872155758593[/tweet]
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#369 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Got a 5 hour drive ahead of me today fellas and might turn around but I wanted to throw this blockbuster possibility out there.

As soon as the White Sox are done playing themselves.....Come on Cleveland, build a 10 game lead already.

White Sox Out:
Jose Quintana
Adam Eaton

Dodgers Out:
Puig
DeLeon
Holmes
Anderson
Will Smith

blah blah blah.
The most important part would be what is coming in. But I think we could make it work w/o breaking our farm.

And yeah, I think Adam Eaton is just a better player than Puig on a quality contract.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#370 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:59 pm

^^^
No dice?

What about Wil Myers?
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/wil-myers-utilizing-all-fields-in-return-to-prominence/

We need a right handed bat with some pop.
He's not an old hag on an expensive deal like Braun.
The Padres have dealt with us before....we could help them in a fire sale.

Guys.....Guise?????
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#371 » by Neddy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:49 pm

I just think you should step back and relax. it's only June.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#372 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:56 am

Neddy wrote:I just think you should step back and relax. it's only June.

Fine.

I'll be patient.
Ranma
RealGM

Quintana-Eaton Proposal 

Post#373 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:31 am

I agree with Neddy. I'd rather stick with what we have right now than make that trade or pursue Myers. I like our roster, for the most part, especially with the prospects we have coming up and the anticipated pursuit of the Gurriel brothers. Unless we're going after a Trout, Fernandez or Gray, I'm not really inclined to make a big trade. I'm more interested in solidifying our bullpen via trade, but even there, I'm not really inclined to pay the premium price to obtain a relief arm when we have plenty of capable options in minors.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#374 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:27 am

Sonny has been awful this year. Maybe he's finally regressed to the mean. He's out pitched his peripherals in each of his 1st 2 seasons.

He's way too much of a wild card IMO. Do we buy low? Is he an ace? A number 2? Can we get the FIP beater Sonny he was in previous years?

Quintana is a better pitcher, on a good contract, on a garbage team that doesnt have enough assets to build a team around them.
He makes so much sense, it's not even funny. The Sox will probably never agree on dealing Sale. But Quintana could work and he'd easily be our 2nd best pitcher behind Kershaw. Just watched him deal tonight (I follow the Sox since I'm out here).
Ranma
RealGM

Looking for Long-Term Solutions to Our Starting Rotation 

Post#375 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:04 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Sonny has been awful this year. Maybe he's finally regressed to the mean. He's out pitched his peripherals in each of his 1st 2 seasons.

He's way too much of a wild card IMO. Do we buy low? Is he an ace? A number 2? Can we get the FIP beater Sonny he was in previous years?

Quintana is a better pitcher, on a good contract, on a garbage team that doesnt have enough assets to build a team around them.
He makes so much sense, it's not even funny. The Sox will probably never agree on dealing Sale. But Quintana could work and he'd easily be our 2nd best pitcher behind Kershaw. Just watched him deal tonight (I follow the Sox since I'm out here).

I'm more interested in buying low on Gray since, as you said, he's struggling. I've never viewed him as an ace and thought of him as previously being overrated, but given what the A's got back for Josh Donaldson, who was a hotter commodity than what Gray is now, I'm hoping Billy Beane will be reasonable in negotiations.

I haven't watched Quintana but I'm not a fan of paying a high price for him given his lack of overpowering stuff. He's certainly doing well and obviously better than Gray, but I feel Julio Urias is already close to what he is in terms of skill (not innings pitched) with more upside to come, so I don't personally see the need for Quintana long-term.
Ranma
RealGM

Buehler to Start Short-Season in the Minors 

Post#376 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:47 am

Jonathan Mayo, MLB.com (6/17/16)
8. Walker Buehler, RHP, Dodgers (AZL Dodgers, Arizona League):
Had he been healthy, Buehler would have likely gone higher in the 2015 Draft. But word of him needing Tommy John surgery caused him to drop to No. 24, and he might be a steal for the Dodgers. He has the chance to have four pitches, all average or a tick above, with excellent command of all four.

Top 10 Short-Season Prospects to Watch
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Re: Buehler to Start Short-Season in the Minors 

Post#377 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:07 pm

Ranma wrote:Jonathan Mayo, MLB.com (6/17/16)
8. Walker Buehler, RHP, Dodgers (AZL Dodgers, Arizona League):
Had he been healthy, Buehler would have likely gone higher in the 2015 Draft. But word of him needing Tommy John surgery caused him to drop to No. 24, and he might be a steal for the Dodgers. He has the chance to have four pitches, all average or a tick above, with excellent command of all four.

Top 10 Short-Season Prospects to Watch

Wait. He's ready to go now? I thought he wasn't going to pitch until 2017?
I actually really like this kid, so I'm super excited if he's going to compete before 2017.

And I read the article about and saw the stuff about the extended Spring Training People.
Does that mean Yadier Alvarez is going to throw in Rookie ball? Was gonna ask about Sheff but we haven't signed him yet.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#378 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:04 am

http://dodgerblue.com/andrew-friedman-dodgers-target-elite-level-players-mlb-trade-deadline-am-570/2016/06/18/

Andrew Friedman stating our focus at the deadline will be elite level players.
One of the many things the Dodger online community hates is "dumpster diving." I'd rather him not put that out there at all as I hope it doesn't cause us even an tiny bit of leverage in negotiating.

Wondering out loud who it could be:
Trout
Nolan Arenado
Fernandez
Sale
Donaldson
Altuve
Greinke????
Goldy

I know AZ won't deal with us based on this winter. We still have a deep enough farm and money (players) talks.

^^^^
That's who I view as elite.

Players I like for us that are not "elite":
Quintana
Eaton
Myers
Ender
Seager, Kyle
Yelich
Springer

I'll edit this post if anything else hits me. I said I'd be patient but with this coming out, I feel we can at least throw out names we like.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#379 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:28 am

Zach Lee has been dealt to the Mariners.

I'll leave the rest to Ranma as he has tweets from writers who can put these things in perspective
Neddy
RealGM

Post#380 » by Neddy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:27 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Zach Lee has been dealt to the Mariners.

I'll leave the rest to Ranma as he has tweets from writers who can put these things in perspective

I like this deal alot, for both teams and to be honest, they bought themselves a brand name who's been paid already and we got a finished product who can come in and help in case of need.

Zach Lee was a well celebrated first rounder and still fill the need the Mariners have, which is depth in starting pitching. he may actually get a shot or two there which he could not here.

we get a proven, 5th rounder out of college who performed like a **** rockstar out of Tacoma the last 3 years teetering with nearly .900 OPS back to back to back in AAA and still only 25. he can play both middle infield positions too.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers