ImageImageImageImageImage

Prospects and trade discussion

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

What It Takes to Be Dodger for Life 

Post#141 » by Ranma » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:16 am

Quake Griffin wrote:not a fan of Puig's latest comments.

wish he'd say something to the tune of wanting to be here.

I thought he did. He's a genuine dude who seems troubled by the trade rumors, but also immature. I think he does want to stay, but is resigned to acknowledge that he'll play anywhere if that's the organization's decision since it's out of his hands, which is not entirely true. I'm more concerned with him changing his habits and conduct, which he supposedly is making some effort to do. If Yasiel really wants to be a Dodger for life, he has to do more to be a part of the ballclub in not flouting the team rules and placing himself above it.

Personally, I'm glad the Dodgers put him on notice. Hopefully, it will serve as a wake-up call for him to turn things around. If not, I'm really not going to be sad to see him go. Dream scenario would be to package him along with prospects for Mike Trout, but that would never happen...unless Arte Moreno continues to sign big-money deals that don't pan out a la Josh Hamilton, C.J. Wilson, etc. I like the proposal of him going to Miami for Jose Fernandez if he were to ever be available.

Dylan Hernandez, Los Angeles Times (7/27/15)
If Puig had a say, he would go nowhere.

"Players never want to be traded from their first team," he said. "But that's not our decision."

Puig raised the example of Dee Gordon, the All-Star second baseman who was traded to the Miami Marlins over the winter.

"Dee Gordon didn't want to be traded from here and they traded him," he said.

Puig said that if he is traded, he would like to respond the way Gordon did. Gordon, who was sidelined by a thumb injury earlier this month, is second in the National League with a .338 batting average.

"I'll play anywhere," Puig said. "I came to the United States [from Cuba] to play baseball. Baseball is the same anywhere. If they want to trade me, that's their decision. I can't do anything about that."

Would Dodgers Trade Yasiel Puig? Unlikely, But He Can't Rule It Out

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Latos & Morse Deal Drama 

Post#142 » by Ranma » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Mets Join the Party 

Post#143 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:21 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

A Big Deal is Building 

Post#144 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:18 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: 2015 Prospects and Trade Discussion 

Post#145 » by Neddy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:31 am

this is brilliant!
if they are using Alex Wood and Oliveras as a part of the bait to lure in the Phillies to grab Hamels without giving up Seager or Urias, my hats off to them dodger front office for their intelligence and creativity.

if this is it and there is no more moves, I would still congradulate them for their scrappy but definite improvement on our deficiencies.
Mat Latos, Alex Wood, and Jim Johnson alone ain't too shabby.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Atlanta Wants Olivera 

Post#146 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:38 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Price or Bust 

Post#147 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:41 am

Neddy wrote:this is brilliant!
if they are using Alex Wood and Oliveras as a part of the bait to lure in the Phillies to grab Hamels without giving up Seager or Urias, my hats off to them dodger front office for their intelligence and creativity.

if this is it and there is no more moves, I would still congradulate them for their scrappy but definite improvement on our deficiencies.

The Phillies just traded Hamels for a haul from Texas. It looks like Friedman, Zaidi, and crew are going really hard after David Price.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Post#148 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:58 am

Life without Ned.

feels good man.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Price or Bust 

Post#149 » by Neddy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:03 am

Ranma wrote:

The Phillies just traded Hamels for a haul from Texas. It looks like Friedman, Zaidi, and crew are going really hard after David Price.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/626577500215193601[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/626585045248147461[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/626585349721079809[/tweet]

ahhhh, I should have said Hamels or Price... but still this is brilliant. it appears we are not losing any of our treasured assets and able to still place a very compelling package for (now the Tigers) our trade partner to be happy with now and for the future. if we end up with Price and Latos, our rotation going into the last two months would be

Kersahw-Greinke-Price-Latos-Anderson/Bolsinger

and the playoff roster would be the front four.

just imagine next year if we retain at least one of the Greinke/Price duo and resign Latos, we would sport

Kershaw-Greinke/Price-Ryu-Latos-McCarty

that is dynamite!
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#150 » by Neddy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:04 am

Quake Griffin wrote:

Life without Ned.

feels good man.

Ned Colletti was one of the worst evaluators of talent... he only knew how to buy high and sell low.... yeah this is heaven sent. just makes me wonder what we could have been if we kept Paul DePodesta rather than replacing him with Ned.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

No Wonder Boy 

Post#151 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:13 am

Neddy wrote:Ned Colletti was one of the worst evaluators of talent... he only knew how to buy high and sell low.... yeah this is heaven sent. just makes me wonder what we could have been if we kept Paul DePodesta rather than replacing him with Ned.

DePodesta didn't live up to the hype. While the Peter Brand character played by Jonah Hill was supposedly based on him in the "Moneyball" movie, he also seemed to outsmart himself in his deals. Whereas Colletti relied on the old-school mentality of counting on proven (and faded) vets without regard for advanced metrics, DePo seemed to be the opposite in looking strictly at the sabermetrics stat sheet with little, if any, regard for traditional scouting values. I hated the J.D. Drew acquisition along with pretty much every other transaction he made. Colletti's trade for Andre Ethier was actually a refreshing change at the time even if his subsequent moves quickly showed he was out of his depth as well.

Thank goodness we currently have a front office being led by Andrew Friedman and Farhan Zaidi. These two seem like a dynamic duo working different ends of a trade with other teams only to come together in the middle with an accumulation of quality assets.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: No Wonder Boy 

Post#152 » by Neddy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:05 am

Ranma wrote:
Neddy wrote:Ned Colletti was one of the worst evaluators of talent... he only knew how to buy high and sell low.... yeah this is heaven sent. just makes me wonder what we could have been if we kept Paul DePodesta rather than replacing him with Ned.

DePodesta didn't live up to the hype. While the Peter Brand character played by Jonah Hill was supposedly based on him in the "Moneyball" movie, he also seemed to outsmart himself in his deals. Whereas Colletti relied on the old-school mentality of counting on proven (and faded) vets without regard for advanced metrics, DePo seemed to be the opposite in looking strictly at the sabermetrics stat sheet with little, if any, regard for traditional scouting values. I hated the J.D. Drew acquisition along with pretty much every other transaction he made. Colletti's trade for Andre Ethier was actually a refreshing change at the time even if his subsequent moves quickly showed he was out of his depth as well.

Thank goodness we currently have a front office being led by Andrew Friedman and Farhan Zaidi. These two seem like a dynamic duo working different ends of a trade with other teams only to come together in the middle with an accumulation of quality assets.

we had Jayson Werth for dirt cheap under Depo.
got Brad Penny in his prime and Bill Murphy for giving away PED peddler Paul Lo Duca, PED user Mota, and "never could have been" Big Choi. then he flipped Murphy for Steve Finley. we lost Adrian Beltre who managed to under perform in next few seasons, and replaced him with not only JD Drew but Jeff Kent and Derek Lowe under the budget limitations imposed by McDouche. when we hit the rock bottom in 2005, it was not because of DePo's inability to collect talent, but rather a circumstances of incredibly weird unlucky events that saw injuries to JD, Jayson, Odalis Perez, Cesar, and Eric Gagne.

DePo got a lot of bad rap for being a pioneer in an era where advanced analytics were being challenged, unlike now. he was socially awkward and was unfairly prosecuted for being only a stat nerd, but I assure you, Paul DePodesta was heavily involved in players development as any other. the damn movie "moneyball" depicted Paul as a "stats only" guy for the dramatics but he was simply trying to get an edge in such a small budgeted franchise where traditional scouts were seeing "pay the talent" philosophy, and did rather successfully. that does not mean Paul did not see the value of higher priced commodities. too bad he was working under McDouche rather than for say, Guggenheim.

but I do agree that the trio of Andrew Friedman+Fahran Zaidi+Josh Byrnes are a one hell of a front office we ever had.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

DePo Disappointment 

Post#153 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:33 am

Neddy wrote:we had Jayson Werth for dirt cheap under Depo.
got Brad Penny in his prime and Bill Murphy for giving away PED peddler Paul Lo Duca, PED user Mota, and "never could have been" Big Choi. then he flipped Murphy for Steve Finley. we lost Adrian Beltre who managed to under perform in next few seasons, and replaced him with not only JD Drew but Jeff Kent and Derek Lowe under the budget limitations imposed by McDouche. when we hit the rock bottom in 2005, it was not because of DePo's inability to collect talent, but rather a circumstances of incredibly weird unlucky events that saw injuries to JD, Jayson, Odalis Perez, Cesar, and Eric Gagne.

DePo got a lot of bad rap for being a pioneer in an era where advanced analytics were being challenged, unlike now. he was socially awkward and was unfairly prosecuted for being only a stat nerd, but I assure you, Paul DePodesta was heavily involved in players development as any other. the damn movie "moneyball" depicted Paul as a "stats only" guy for the dramatics but he was simply trying to get an edge in such a small budgeted franchise where traditional scouts were seeing "pay the talent" philosophy, and did rather successfully. that does not mean Paul did not see the value of higher priced commodities. too bad he was working under McDouche rather than for say, Guggenheim.

but I do agree that the trio of Andrew Friedman+Fahran Zaidi+Josh Byrnes are a one hell of a front office we ever had.

Wasn't Jayson Werth already with the Dodgers before DePo arrived? The problem was that we ended up not keeping him as he moved onto the Phillies and continued to be productive with them and beyond. I hated how Boras drove Adrian Beltre away with his outrageous contract demands, but the fact remains that we lost one of the most productive all-around 3B in recent memory and the hot corner has continued to be a problem for the organization. I didn't like Penny or Kent either. Kent was productive offensively but his defense was worse than the stats showed because of his lack of range. Lowe was a decent acquisition. Wait...DePo was the one who also traded for Hee-Seop Choi in the first place. He may have acquired some fairly productive players but the team he built was bland and lacking in dynamics.

I'll concede that being a GM under McCourt didn't help, but DePodesta just didn't wow me with any of his moves and only seemed to get the type of players I didn't want nor played the Dodgers' brand of baseball. Sorry, Neddy, but I'm not convinced he was ever cut out to be a GM, which would explain why he was never offered the same position with another organization. He may have been a wonderful no. 2 with Billy Beane but as the top dog, he was absolutely uninspiring. I say this as a guy who was actually excited to have him aboard when it was announced he was our GM.

A GM who was underrated and handcuffed by both Fox and Frank McCourt was Dan Evans. With tough negotiator Kim Ng as his right-hand operative, he made some savvy moves even under the constraints of Fox ownership. He was about to get us Vladimir Guerrero in his prime before McCourt nixed it to appease MLB concerns of the Dodgers being the Yankees of the west under his ownership. What a freakin' joke! Now under the deep-pocketed ownership of the Guggenheim Partners and direction of Friedman & Zaidi, the Dodgers seem to be making up for a backlog of lost time.
Ranma
RealGM

Paco and Peraza 

Post#154 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:15 am

It's reported that Paco Rodriguez is also headed to the Braves. Plus, if we end up keeping Jose Peraza, he'd be a promising replacement for Howie Kendrick at 2B with characteristics similar to Dee Gordon's as a lead-off hitter with blazing speed.

Ken Gurnick, MLB.com (7/29/15)
If completed, the Dodgers would receive Latos and Morse from the Marlins and starting pitcher Alex Wood, closer Jim Johnson, reliever Luis Avilan and infielder Jose Peraza from the Braves. Miami would get Minor League pitchers Jeff Brigham, Victor Araujo and Kevin Guzman from Los Angeles, while Atlanta would get a competitive-balance Draft pick from the Marlins and from the Dodgers, they would get recent Cuban signee Hector Olivera and injured reliever Paco Rodriguez, all according to Major League sources.

LA Set to Deal for Braves' Wood, Marlins' Latos

MLB.com Top 100 2015 Prospect Watch - Top 100
Jose Peraza | Rank: 30

Scouting Grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 30 | Run: 75 | Arm: 50 | Field: 60 | Overall: 55
Peraza has raced through the Minor Leagues thanks to his feel for the game and his top-of-the-scale speed. As a 20-year-old in 2014, he reached Double-A Mississippi and played in the All-Star Futures Game.

Peraza has a quick, short swing and excellent hand-eye coordination. His swing produces minimal power and he mostly tries to keep the ball on the ground to use his considerable speed to his advantage. He's a threat to steal whenever he gets on base and has swiped at least 60 bases in each of his first two years of full-season ball.

Peraza began his career at shortstop, but with Andrelton Simmons manning that position in Atlanta for the foreseeable future, the Braves moved Peraza to second base in 2014. He will likely soon join Simmons in the middle of their infield, giving the Braves a pair of above-average defenders.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: DePo Disappointment 

Post#155 » by Neddy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:16 am

Ranma wrote:
Neddy wrote:we had Jayson Werth for dirt cheap under Depo.

Wasn't Jayson Werth already with the Dodgers before DePo arrived? The problem was that we ended up not keeping him as he moved onto the Phillies and continued to be productive with them and beyond. I hated how Boras drove Adrian Beltre away with his outrageous contract demands, but the fact remains that we lost one of the most productive all-around 3B in recent memory and the hot corner has continued to be a problem for the organization. I didn't like Penny or Kent either. Kent was productive offensively but his defense was worse than the stats showed because of his lack of range. Lowe was a decent acquisition. Wait...DePo was the one who also traded for Hee-Seop Choi in the first place. He may have acquired some fairly productive players but the team he built was bland and lacking in dynamics.

I'll concede that being a GM under McCourt didn't help, but DePodesta just didn't wow me with any of his moves and only seemed to get the type of players I didn't want or played the Dodgers' brand of baseball. Sorry, Neddy, but I'm not convinced he was ever cut out to be a GM, which would explain why he was never offered the same position with another organization. He may have been a wonderful no. 2 with Billy Beane but as the top dog, he was absolutely uninspiring. I say this as a guy who was actually excited to have him aboard when it was announced he was our GM.

A GM who was underrated and handcuffed by both Fox and Frank McCourt was Dan Evans. With tough negotiator Kim Ng as his right-hand operative, he made some savvy moves even under the constraints of Fox ownership. He was about to get us Vladimir Guerrero in his prime before McCourt nixed it to appease MLB concerns of the Dodgers being the Yankees of the west under his ownership. What a freakin' joke! Now under the deep-pocketed ownership of the Guggenheim Partners and direction of Friedman & Zaidi, the Dodgers seem to be making up for a backlog of lost time.

our opinions on DePo may stay opposite but I do agree wholesomely that Dan Evans and Kim Ng got a raw deal. especially for Kim, I had a very high opinion of her and the possibility of her becoming the first female baseball top executive appeared to me was the right dodger way, as the franchise to introduce Jackie Robinson, Hideo Nomo, and Chan Ho Park. too bad that never happened and my faith in her never wavered.

also I have to say although my opinion of him has declined over the years, losing Logan White was painful at first.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Apples in the Eye of the Tigers 

Post#156 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:53 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Detroit apparently has eyes for both Alex Wood and Grant Holmes. Giving up both for David Price as a rental is quite a lot to surrender, but it should be able to beat any other competing offer. I guess I would be okay with this as long as we secure Price to an extension, however, I don't want to add newly acquired Jose Peraza in the deal. Also, with the anticipated loss of Hector Olivera, it would make a lot of sense for the Dodgers to sign both of the Gourriel brothers out of Cuba should they become available during this signing period.

I've spoken about them previously in the Draft/International Signing Day thread but I was more interested in the younger Lourdes, Jr. at SS. With the spot vacated by Olivera at 3B, the elder Yulieski is considered the better prospect.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#157 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:10 am

so that pick we get for Funkhouser going back to school is going to turn into Jose Peraza?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

2016 Compensatory Pick Distinction 

Post#158 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:36 am

Quake Griffin wrote:so that pick we get for Funkhouser going back to school is going to turn into Jose Peraza?

No. The Dodgers will get a replacement compensatory pick in the 2016 draft for Funkhouser going back to Louisville. Since he was selected with the 35th overall pick in 2015, the Dodgers will get the 36th overall pick in 2016. Peraza was acquired from Atlanta and we forwarded Miami's 2016 compensatory pick from the Latos-Morse trade to them, so it would be more accurate to say that we traded the Marlins' pick to get Peraza even though that is not how it technically went down. That pick would at least be 35th overall in 2016; picks move up as teams lose 1st-rounders for signing free agents.

Here is a breakdown of the Dodgers' 2016 1st-round draft and compensatory picks situation:

1. Dodgers' own selection (likely in 20-30 slot)
  2. Miami's compensatory selection acquired in Latos-Morse trade to be forwarded to Atlanta (35th overall or sooner)
  3. compensatory selection as replacement for losing Kyle Funkhouser from 2015 draft class (locked in at 36th overall)
  4. possible compensation for losing Zack Greinke if he opts out (not sure if this is accurate as don't know if we can provide qualifying offer)
  5. possible compensation for losing Howie Kendrick if qualifying offer submitted

If the Atlanta component of the 3-way trade falls through with the Miami component still valid, the Dodgers could potentially have 5 picks before the 2nd round in 2016, but it's probably all or nothing so that is unlikely. Plus, I'm not really sure if we would get a compensatory pick for losing Greinke to free agency, but I've read elsewhere that we would.

So even if the 3-way trade goes through and we re-sign both Greinke and Kendrick, the Dodgers would still have its own 1st-round pick in 2016 as well as the 36th overall compensatory pick from the unsigned Funkhouser selection. We'd still keep both assuming we don't sign a qualified free agent.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#159 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:57 am

Wait…we're not sending out the competitive balance pick in this deal?
we're receiving it?

oh my goodness….if that's the case….what a **** deal.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#160 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:11 pm

what are we going to do with Morse anyway? We have a 1B. SVS can back up A-Gon.

there's a log jam in the outfield.
whats he here for?

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers