Dodgers Clubhouse Friction Centered on Yasiel Puig

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Dodgers Clubhouse Friction Centered on Yasiel Puig 

Post#1 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:18 pm

Jeff Passan, Yahoo Sports (6/30/15)
Puig's reputation preceded his time with the Dodgers. During spring training 2013, Mitch Poole, the Dodgers' longtime clubhouse manager, assigned Puig's jersey number on a lark. "I thought it'd be funny to give him number 66 to reference 666, like he was Diablo," Poole told Knight. During the spring, Puig cottoned to the number and asked to keep it because he thought it was good luck.

The players recognize as much. When the player who posed the addition-by-subtraction question reconsidered his thought, he told Yahoo Sports: "That's the biggest Catch-22. He's a top three or four talent in baseball."

And that hasn't changed. As much as Puig might slack in preparation, he continues to play the game at an unmatched level, his dynamism unfettered. Sometimes it's great, and sometimes it's laughable, and always it's exciting, and in a baseball culture that appreciates the steadiness necessary to survive its long season, Puig's ebbs and flows can be off-putting.

"You guys tell me how you want me to play," Puig said during a meeting last year, according to Knight's book, and a few teammates spoke up, including then-Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez, who said: "I just don't want your career to go the way my career went. All my teammates hated me because of the way I played."

The distaste for Puig is palpable, some of it fresh, some still festering from the past. It's real, though, and the Dodgers know at the very least they need to monitor it so it doesn't devolve into the scenario where they might actually be better without someone so good.

Book: Disdain for Yasiel Puig by Dodgers Teammates No Longer a Secret
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Dodgers Clubhouse Friction Centered on Yasiel Puig 

Post#2 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:50 am

I'm very hurt by this turn of events. I almost had my dad buy me a Puig jersey (it was either him or Greinke) for my graduation present. I held off because I wasn't sure whether Greinke would return or they would flip Puig in a deal.

But whoever made that addition by subtraction comment and didn't put their name on it is a **** rat…something I cannot respect at all.

Pablo Panda-ball was fat his whole career, played a sloppy 3B most of his career and hated his teammates in SF and you didn't hear a peep of it until he left for Boston.

Anywho…there's no way I think the kid finishes his career or this contract here in LA. The right deal will come along and we will trade him. SMFH.
I just wanted him to improve on his defense, base running, approach at the plate. He's skated by so far with sheer talent IMO and it's allowed him to be a 5 WAR player. But I'm sure people in the clubhouse hate watching him run into or not adjust at the plate.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#3 » by Kilroy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:39 pm

He needs a manager a little more like Scioscia than Mattingly. He got coddled too much early and got too much praise for playing loose. It's going to take an injury or act of god and an iron fisted MGR to get him on the rails.

I agree, sadly, it's probably going to have to happens somewhere other than with the Dodgers.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#4 » by Neddy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:42 am

I may have a minority opinion here but once Ryu is back in the club house and pitching well, Puig will find his solace and get back to his own gravity, it also wouldnt hurt to see Gonzo take on the big bro role among the Spanish speaking players and take Puig under his wing, like Uribe had done in the past. I just don't see the dodger brass trading such a cost efficient player away before getting rid of inefficient players like Carl and Ethier.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Molly Knight Interview on Rich Eisen Show 

Post#5 » by Ranma » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:57 am

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

This Is SportsCenter: Yasiel Walk-Up Music 

Post#6 » by Ranma » Tue Aug 4, 2015 3:04 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_57E3t1eBI[/youtube]
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#7 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Aug 9, 2015 7:22 pm

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

No Biggie Just Note of Interest 

Post#8 » by Ranma » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:05 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/631210755895918592[/tweet]

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers