RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Around the MLB 

Post#101 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:40 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hitting into shifts?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Acuna Machado 

Post#102 » by Ranma » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:[Hitting into shifts?

That would make sense but I've noticed his low batting average since the beginning of the season. If it's just a matter of hitting into shifts, he should be making adjustments instead of being stubborn with what he's been doing, especially since he's been hitting the ball so hard.

I don't know without looking at a breakdown of where his balls are being placed in on the field, but I suspect he's primarily pulling the ball and, if that's the case, he should be working on trying to go the other way or otherwise placing the ball where he normally doesn't and where defenders are not present.

I think it's a matter of stubborn mentality thinking things will go back to the normal for him, but that is exactly the problem if opponents find him predictable. I'm confident Turner Ward would convince him to change and help him adjust. He's still my top target for winter free agency of 2018.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Too Many Question Marks and Obstacles with J2 Strategy 

Post#103 » by Ranma » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:09 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:I'm not sure the Cubs farm is good enough to sustain two big deals like that.

Suggests to me:
- They'll try to be big players next Int'l Deadline if possible.
- Arrieta is getting shown the and they'll be compensated via his qualifying offer.

I honestly like Quintana more for us than the Cubs. They got him because their SP isn't good anymore. I'm not sure he's the splash you need to remedy that.

We have injury history and question marks from Kershaw on down. He's that durable 200 IP arm on a cheap deal we can use.

I view him as a 2. 2nd tier.
Not a co-ace ala Greinke when he was here.

As we've discussed, I'm not as high on Quintana as you are, especially since I'd prefer a right-hander to another left-hander in the starting rotation. I suspect we'll get Sonny Gray from Oakland with Alex Verdugo as the centerpiece in the deal, which I wouldn't be opposed to depending on the rest of the package.

If the Cubs are counting on signing a big-time pitcher during the next J2 international signing period, they're exactly in the same boat as the Dodgers. Teams are now hard-capped with respect to how much money they can spend on J2 international players, which means they're limited by the amount of expensive bonuses they can hand out. Plus, international prospects are generally further away than even draft prospects. The exception would be international-professional-league veterans but those are rarely available and there's always the question of adjustment to the MLB routine.

The lone exception who could be available and fit the Cubs' profile per your description is Shohei Otani, but again, they are in the same exact boat as the Dodgers and would have to compete with practically every other team in baseball for him. If Otani were to make himself available immediately after the season, the Cubs (like the Dodgers) would be limited to signing him for $300,000 unless he is convinced to wait until July 2, 2018. Otherwise, they'd have to come up with a creative agreement to forgo the big money that will be thrown at him upfront. I've advocated for that very possibility on behalf of the Dodgers.

The Cubs are more likely to count on going after MLB free agents as they would have more advantages in that field of pursuit. I'm not saying at all that they wouldn't pursue Otani hard, it's just that so would everybody else and I'd have to think he'd be more comfortable with a team located on the coast, particularly the West Coast, which is closer to his homeland, or at least I hope so.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Things You Won't See in MLB 

Post#104 » by Ranma » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#105 » by Neddy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:57 pm

very different culture.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

A's - Nationals Trade 

Post#106 » by Ranma » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:43 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Jesus Luzardo Now in Oakland 

Post#107 » by Ranma » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:45 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Jesus Luzardo Now in Oakland 

Post#108 » by Neddy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:49 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I haven't seen Jesus Lozardo since his high school days, but from that one clip you posted, it seems to me that his wind up has gotten longer.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Diamondbacks Catch Tigers by the Tail 

Post#109 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

O's Open for Business But Not Entirely 

Post#110 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Buster Olney, ESPN.com (7/18/17)
Other teams say Baltimore has indicated it is prepared to sell off what has been the best part of its team -- its relievers, from Brad Brach to Darren O'Day to All-Star closer Zach Britton. So the logical question that should follow is: If the Orioles are ready to start the badly needed rebuilding process, why wouldn’t they be taking offers now for Machado and other veterans who are nearing free agency?

Machado is eligible for free agency after the 2018 season, and you can’t find anyone in the industry who believes the Orioles will preemptively sign him before he hits the open market. So it would make sense for Baltimore to at least take offers for him over the next 13 days. As has been reported here before, it’s not a great time to be marketing position players, but Machado is a regarded as such a transcendent talent -- even in an off year for him -- that the Orioles are bound to get good offers at a time he could help a contender in 2017 and 2018. And the team’s front office is well aware that any potential return for him will plummet after July 31.

The Orioles didn’t engage the Nationals before Washington made its bullpen deal for Sean Doolittle and Ryan Madson. Baltimore should move beyond this bad business practice whenever they get around to marketing Machado. For example: The team with the biggest need at third base right now is Boston, and if the O’s put Machado on the table, the Orioles could ask for the best prospect in the Red Sox system, slugger Rafael Devers, as the anchor to any deal.

The worst thing that could happen for the Orioles organization would be for Machado to reach free agency without any trade return, and right now, it appears that is the direction in which the O’s are drifting.

Olney: Players Who Should Be Traded But Won't Move at the Deadline
Neddy
RealGM

Post#111 » by Neddy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 am

Peter Angelos is a scumbag ambulance chaser.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

One Last Hurdle Before Finish Line (COMPLETED) 

Post#112 » by Ranma » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:12 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Reds' Unwilling to Hitch Ride on Donkey Boy 

Post#113 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

J.P. Crawford Using the Willie Mays Hayes Playbook 

Post#114 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:40 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM

Re: J.P. Crawford Using the Willie Mays Hayes Playbook 

Post#115 » by Neddy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:57 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

that catcher will never see the major league action.

the ball came home way early enough to make some bacon and eggs breakfast, eat it, then tag.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Beltre Ejected for Moving Batting Circle 

Post#116 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:10 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Beltre Ejected for Moving Batting Circle 

Post#117 » by Neddy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:46 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

ha this is a complete BS. there is no benefit for the hitter to move the on deck circle farther away from the batters box as he can't get acclimated with the pitcher's velocity nor his tendencies. if Adrian had pulled the on deck circle closer to the batters box, yeah I understand this move, but only benefit he can have by pulling it closer to the third base coach's box, is to have more distance to prepare himself when there is a line drive.

many players do this, and no ump ever calls for this unless they are pulling the on deck circle closer or more parallel to the batters box.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

More Bad Umpiring (Yes, Bring On Robo-Umps) 

Post#118 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Nice Father-and-Son Baseball Moments 

Post#119 » by Ranma » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:28 am

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Nice Father-and-Son Baseball Moments 

Post#120 » by Neddy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:30 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

I so wish my son would love baseball the way I do......
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers