ImageImageImageImageImage

The 2017 Dodgers WORLD SERIES!!! Thread

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: The 2017 Dodgers WORLD SERIES!!! Thread 

Post#3261 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Nov 2, 2017 10:17 am

Eduardo Perez says Yu was tipping his pitches and explained his hand didn’t move in the glove for fastballs but did for breaking balls. This would make sense because this was a problem he has before coming over to the Dodgers.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#3262 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Nov 2, 2017 10:27 am

I’m beating the drum now.

TRADE PEYTON KERSHAW!

We can do much better than a 2nd round pick if he opts out and signs elsewhere and I’m not extending him after his age 30 season.

Our fans deserve more than this **** year after year.

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#3263 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Nov 2, 2017 12:03 pm

LOL at Twitter on this bandwagon that Kershaw should have started last night.

Love Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Bitter Overreaction 

Post#3264 » by Ranma » Thu Nov 2, 2017 6:06 pm

I get how the loss has taken a toll on us since I'm still feeling it right now and won't look to recover any time soon, but let's not overreact and start thinking and saying things akin to blowing up the team. Dealing Kershaw amounts to that. He might have come up short in Game 5, but without out him, we don't get home-field advantage, which put us in the favorable position to win it all.

As I've mentioned before, there were other people more responsible for our failure to live up to expectations. Kershaw's collapse in the one game could have sealed the deal, but we had plenty of other opportunities. It could be argued that Jansen's failures cost us opportunities to come away victorious, but we all know he was overworked.

We all know Kershaw is no Bumgarner, but there are few pitchers in the world who are. Trading him would set us back more than it would move us forward. If we wanted a clutch pitcher, we could have traded for Verlander, who had the Dodgers as his top choice as a trade destination. I didn't want to pursue him because of his contract, but it turned out that Houston got him for decent exchange with only 2 more years of commitment since this 2020 option was apparently voided and $8 million in cash in return. We would have had to give up Verdugo, but I was never of fan of him.

Part of why a deal didn't happen was because of Detroit's initial demands. The Tigers apparently backed down only after the non-waiver trade deadline, but by that time we had already acquired Darvish. Speaking of whom, I mentioned before how I preferred Gray given his bulldog mentality and Darvish ended up proving why. He says all the right things and actually likes the team and would prefer to return. I'm not interested in him unless it's at a bargain or maybe reasonable deal.

One of the great things that has contributed to this team's success is composition of the team. The players all remarked how great a collection of players we have even after the loss, so it'd be a mistake to scrap what we have out of the post-defeat animus we're all feeling right now. We have to continue to build upon what we have. Sure, we have to prune some of the thorns but this was a championship-caliber baseball team.

The Dodgers could use some work and further improvements, but we're in no position to throw a tantrum and knock down the building blocks and foundation of what the front office has built.

Also, I'd encourage us to try to act graciously in defeat. The Houston Astros have been classy in their comments to us. I've heard and read statements from Lance McCullers and A.J. Hinch to that effect. I'm not going to hold Yulieski Gurriel's boneheaded gesture and the minority of their racist fans against them.

I'll also post my thoughts in the Off-Season thread on what we should be doing.

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#3265 » by Kilroy » Thu Nov 2, 2017 6:46 pm

Is Kershaw our best pitcher?
I think the answer is a pretty easy yes...
Would we be able to find a replacement as good as him? I think the answer to that is a pretty easy No...

Kershaws got 10yrs on him and he's still our best pitcher... He's been our ace for at least 9 of them. And this Org has essentially pissed away about 7 of those seasons... It's not his fault he can't single handedly carry the pitching duties for this team any more.

That said... Verlander, Keuchel, and Wood were arguably better in the WS... And he was a little shaky in the NLCS too at times...
But none of them were perfect.

We can't trade Kershaw... We just can't rely on him as much as we have in the past. We need to figure out a solid supporting staff on the mound. Right now, I'm at Kersaw and Wood... I really don't know what to think of the rest of the guys... Hill for home games? But come on... Is that really a thing...
Yu... I mean, how many good games did we get from him in October? Not too many... I'm not sure he fits anywhere at this point, either starter or reliever.
I liked what we got from our pen... Kenta, Morrow, Jansen... Although Jansen seems to be losing a little top end and movement...
Stripling gave us some solid outs...

Point being, there's some definite room for improvement there, and now we know... But Kersaw isn't the problem. And this is from a guy who has never bought into the Kershaw hype from day one... He's a HOFer, and a transcendent regular season pitcher... Best in the league... But not as good in October... He never has been. Except for one game and one relief stint last season.

Time for our metrics guys to do their work and make some moves to give him the support he needs on the mound.

I honestly think he'd be better if he looked around and realized he had 2 other guys that could pitch as well as him for 6 or 7 innings, on any given night.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#3266 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Nov 2, 2017 8:55 pm

Kilroy wrote:Is Kershaw our best pitcher?
Would we be able to find a replacement as good as him? I think the answer to that is a pretty easy No...

Kershaws got 10yrs on him and he's still our best pitcher... He's been our ace for at least 9 of them. And this Org has essentially pissed away about 7 of those seasons... It's not his fault he can't single handedly carry the pitching duties for this team any more.

That said... Verlander, Keuchel, and Wood were arguably better in the WS... And he was a little shaky in the NLCS too at times...

We can't trade Kershaw... We just can't rely on him as much as we have in the past. We need to figure out a solid supporting staff on the mound. Right now, I'm at Kersaw and Wood... I really don't know what to think of the rest of the guys... Hill for home games? But come on... Is that really a thing...
Yu... I mean, how many good games did we get from him in October? Not too many... I'm not sure he fits anywhere at this point, either starter or reliever.
I liked what we got from our pen... Kenta, Morrow, Jansen... Although Jansen seems to be losing a little top end and movement...

Point being, there's some definite room for improvement there, and now we know... But Kersaw isn't the problem. And this is from a guy who has never bought into the Kershaw hype from day one... He's a HOFer, and a transcendent regular season pitcher... Best in the league... But not as good in October... He never has been. Except for one game and one relief stint last season.

Time for our metrics guys to do their work and make some moves to give him the support he needs on the mound.

I honestly think he'd be better if he looked around and realized he had 2 other guys that could pitch as well as him for 6 or 7 innings, on any given night.

This organization has done just about everything to make his life easier and relieve pressure from him aside from re-signing Zack Greinke.

Defense? We're strong up the middle. Laser outfield positioning. Shifts. <---Funny, IIRC...this diva complained about us shifting when it's a known fact that it works.

Starters behind him? He's played with a Greinke and failed. He's had Rich Hill, Yu, and Wood behind him. Yu was nearly flawless in NLDS and NLCS. This isn't the worst staff to back up an ace before. There's no reason for him to feel that pressure at this point.

Bullpen? He's had two nails bullpens in 2016 and 2017 and in 2015 Hatcher was super hot as our setup man to Jansen. 2013 our pen was nails too. There was Greinke as well.

Offense? Up 6-2 Against Cards in Game 1 NLDS.
Up 7-2 to Dirt Bags? BRB 2 more homers and yanked.
Blew leads in 2 games to the Nationals in 2015...well almost blew it in Game 1.
Up 4-0 to Houston. Derp. Up 7-4 to Houston. Derp.

He is a diva about wanting things his way. He commands attention and organizational coddling. His regular season accolade commands consideration in October when it shouldn't - see, people MMQBing Dave for not starting him yesterday when LITERALLY not one pundit said it ahead of the game. See him sucking in game 5 but not taking him out early enough because "he's Kershaw" when ANYBODY else would have been yanked. There was literally NO REASON for him to face Springer aside for trying to get him a win and it hurt the entire team. Literally, how does that game go if Maeda faces Springer with no one on base?

He's leaving a stinch no one can smell but me but it will not be that way forever.
There's more than one way to win a WS. 2-3 years ago it was BULLPEN BULLPEN BULLPEN. Was it bullpen this year? Absolutely not. Hinch didn't even trust half his guys and had to ditch his closer. Things change. Adapt. Kershaw is not the only way to win a WS. I think getting rid of him can yield us a bulk of talent and will force us to be creative with roster construction. That, in and of itself, is better than staying hitched to a loser.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#3267 » by Kilroy » Thu Nov 2, 2017 9:20 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Is Kershaw our best pitcher?

This organization has done just about everything to make his life easier and relieve pressure from him aside from re-signing Zack Greinke.

Defense? We're strong up the middle. Laser outfield positioning. Shifts. <---Funny, IIRC...this diva complained about us shifting when it's a known fact that it works.

Starters behind him? He's played with a Greinke and failed. He's had Rich Hill, Yu, and Wood behind him. Yu was nearly flawless in NLDS and NLCS. This isn't the worst staff to back up an ace before. There's no reason for him to feel that pressure at this point.

Bullpen? He's had two nails bullpens in 2016 and 2017 and in 2015 Hatcher was super hot as our setup man to Jansen. 2013 our pen was nails too. There was Greinke as well.

Offense? Up 6-2 Against Cards in Game 1 NLDS.
Up 7-2 to Dirt Bags? BRB 2 more homers and yanked.
Blew leads in 2 games to the Nationals in 2015...well almost blew it in Game 1.
Up 4-0 to Houston. Derp. Up 7-4 to Houston. Derp.

He is a diva about wanting things his way. He commands attention and organizational coddling. His regular season accolade commands consideration in October when it shouldn't - see, people MMQBing Dave for not starting him yesterday when LITERALLY not one pundit said it ahead of the game. See him sucking in game 5 but not taking him out early enough because "he's Kershaw" when ANYBODY else would have been yanked. There was literally NO REASON for him to face Springer aside for trying to get him a win and it hurt the entire team. Literally, how does that game go if Maeda faces Springer with no one on base?

He's leaving a stinch no one can smell but me but it will not be that way forever.
There's more than one way to win a WS. 2-3 years ago it was BULLPEN BULLPEN BULLPEN. Was it bullpen this year? Absolutely not. Hinch didn't even trust half his guys and had to ditch his closer. Things change. Adapt. Kershaw is not the only way to win a WS. I think getting rid of him can yield us a bulk of talent and will force us to be creative with roster construction. That, in and of itself, is better than staying hitched to a loser.

Kershaw's only going to pitch maybe 2 games of a 7 game series at most... If you lose, it's not on any single starter. In fact, of all the pitchers, Jansen had the most chance to change the outcome of the series... Yes we're excusing him due to over use, but still...
Kershaw pitched a pretty damned good Gm 1... He probably should have been left in in retrospect to keep the pen fresh...

Ok... He's a bit of a Diva... He's got some serious OCD issues... Sure, the Org has coddled him... They also used him... He was essentially the face of the team during the cheapskate years.
Not saying he deserves that to continue at all... But I am saying, even with all that... He's too good to trade.

Maybe we should have kept Grienke instead of Yu... But maybe we should ask Arizona fans about that... Grienke had a 6.14 Era in the post season...

Yes, we relied on our BP a little too much... Especially Jansen. But does that mean you win a WS only on your starters? Of course not. And Kershaw was still the best of our Starters in the post season. Fact was, outside of maybe a couple 'play-above-your-paygrade' games by Wood and Hill, etc... Kershaw was our best starter. That's probably more of an endictment of all our starters, than a compliment of Kershaw, but that's my point... Kershaw wasn't perfect. Maybe not even that great... But we didn't loose the WS because of Clayton Kershaw.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#3268 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Nov 2, 2017 9:38 pm

I responded in the offseason thread.

topics are similar.
Takes5
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#3269 » by Takes5 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 2:04 am

If they'd just hit with runners on base like they did throughout the regular season and post-season, it would've been a game. There were about 10-12 guys on base the first five or six innings.
Should've been a score of 5-4 or 5-3 at minimum going into the late innings. Picked the wrong game to go cold with RISP.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#3270 » by Kilroy » Fri Nov 3, 2017 2:19 am

Takes5 wrote:If they'd just hit with runners on base like they did throughout the regular season and post-season, it would've been a game. There were about 10-12 guys on base the first five or six innings.
Should've been a score of 5-4 or 5-3 at minimum going into the late innings. Picked the wrong game to go cold with RISP.

But that's what going down big in the 2nd will do... Everybody, especially young guys tighten up just enough to miss those 95mph pitches.
But I agree... We were a couple hits away from taking the momentum and maybe running away with it...

And both teams had been doing that this series... One team gets an early lead, the other team takes it back... This was pretty much the first game it didn't happen.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#3271 » by Kilroy » Sat Nov 4, 2017 2:02 am

Also, I'd like to send a big shout out to Major League Baseball, The Houston Astros and Justin Verlander, for making me hate Kate Upton...
**** you... **** you all.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#3272 » by Neddy » Sat Nov 4, 2017 7:13 am

Kilroy wrote:Also, I'd like to send a big shout out to Major League Baseball, The Houston Astros and Justin Verlander, for making me hate Kate Upton...
**** you... **** you all.

okay, I had to google who Kate Upton was for a second, then I remembered who she was.

I guess Im too old to be relevant to the current affair. it is what it is.

still, fucc kate. she is no dodger.
ehhhhh f it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#3273 » by Kilroy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:37 am

Damn... I still can't believe we made it to game 7 of the freaking world series... And lost.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#3274 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:32 pm

I still can’t believe our $35 million pitcher was given a 4-0 lead and then a 7-4 lead.....and blew both of them.

Well, I can but...you know what I mean.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#3275 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:59 am

Nearly a month out and still angry and still feeling the way I felt right after the WS.

Having a team full of chokes means you have to eat **** like this during the winter.

Shirt’s effin G guys.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#3276 » by Dloading99 » Sun Dec 3, 2017 9:32 am

Fluck Reddick didn't do shlit for us. hit like a bum and hit like a bum on the Astros we'll he got the win.

Should've never took out Kershaw in Game 5 and put Madeda in. game two and five two games we should've win you can't win a world series when you blow that.

Kershaw should've played game 7. should've started game 7 pitching.

time to go get Stanton.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers